[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese social commentary, in my Pokemon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
Japanese social commentary, in my Pokemon?
>>
It was better as an Abandoned Ship. Just a fun little ship you could see a kid exploring.
Lorefags need not apply.
>>
>This ship was to hunt Wailord but green gaijin put it down.
Is this better?
>>
>>28163387

Explain, anon? Haven't played ORAS or any Hoenn game for that matter, so I'm not getting the reference.
>>
>>28163387
I know I've heard either that or a phrase similar to it somewhere, is it some kind of reference?
>>
>>28163508
>"[x] in my [y]?"
>"It's more likely than you think."
>>
File: 1360807990467.png (39KB, 225x283px) Image search: [Google]
1360807990467.png
39KB, 225x283px
>>28163473
In RSE, there was the Abandoned Ship on route 108. It had the quaint little backstory of being an old cruise ship that was intentionally driven ashore to make a habitat for Pokemon.

In ORAS, in its place we have a structure called Sea Mauville. It's similar in the sense that it's run down and has been made into a nature preserve, but it's filled with documents that reveal it used to be some sort of facility used to "dig out energy" (oil drilling, maybe? Or maybe not.), with workers from the mainland practically living there, and within a working culture that disregarded the workers' private lives and encouraged them to give their all for their work, much the way you hear about contemporary Japan's work culture. It was ultimately shut down for several reasons, partly because it was supposedly bad for the environment and Pokemon (which is apparently why Wattson, one of the project heads at the time, supported the idea) and because Devon had developed the more attractive "Infinity Energy". The workers lost their livelihoods. Plus other shit like a series of letters from young Prof. Cozmo to his dad who was a worker, potentially implying his mother started seeing other men while her husband was away.

You can read up on it without playing the game on bulbapedo
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sea_Mauville
>>
>>28163473
>>28163938
Oh, and since you hadn't played ORAS, Infinity Energy is what Devon Corp calls the same tech that AZ used to power the Ultimate Weapon in XY's backstory. So basically the life energy of Pokemon.
>>
>>28164018
I honestly expect that plot thread to go nowhere, I have a feeling it was going to be used for sometihng like a pokemon z version or x/y2

but judging from sun/moon I think nintendo is done publishing middle version given how poorly b/w2 sold
>>
File: 1337246554870.jpg (8KB, 236x214px) Image search: [Google]
1337246554870.jpg
8KB, 236x214px
>>28164209
>nintendo
>>
File: Untitled.png (36KB, 277x846px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
36KB, 277x846px
>>28164271
yes buddy, pokemon is PUBLISHED by nintendo

the only pokemon version that sell really well anymore are new gens, we probably wont get remakes anymore either, probably just eshop ports
>>
File: 113.74.png (1KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
113.74.png
1KB, 240x240px
>>28164316
>developers
>niantic labs
*shudder*
>>
>>28164271
Yes anon Nintendo publishes the games
>>
>>28164316
Do you really think Nintendo gets that much of a say in what Game Freak does? If Game Freak wants to make a Pokemon game, you bet your ass Nintendo will want to publish it no matter what.
>>
>>28164316
>we probably wont get remakes anymore either

ORAS sold pretty well, and it's even picking up sales-wise. They're not doing away wtih remakes.

Pokemon games overall sell incredibly well given how much the 3DS under-performed as a system. They're not going to stop doing remakes.
>>
>>28164359
sup buttangry genwunner go adopter
>>
>>28164383
You don't seem to understand how the industry works, a publisher funds and distributes a game, developer makes it.

The budget comes from the publisher, which the publisher gets via profit and investment.

all that said, gamefreak and pokemon are sorta split between a few companies, but that has more to do with the anime/merchandise and material like the mangas.

Have an example of this; the pokemon spin offs on the game cube. Colosseum and Gale of Darkness didn't sell so great, so nintendo never financed anymore story heavy pokemon spin offs on a home console.

they thought maybe if they changed the style and they tried to make something like pokemon stadium on the wii with battle revolution, but that also didn't sell very well.

Nintendo has a huge say in what pokemon games get made, they finance the production and distribution, and since pokemon is only on nintendo systems that gives them even more control.

However, the pokemon company has the final say on merchandise, which is why the pikachu amibo didn't have functionality with a few mario games, and generally why pokemon doesn't appear with all the mainline nintendo properties.

>>28164467
I didn't hear that, that's good.

That said, I'm positive middle versions are done.
>>
>>28164316
The games don't sell badly. Its not even close to Skywards Sword's "perfectly fine sales but below expected"

Highly doubt the lower sales for the remakes/third versions are so low that the cost is no longer justified
>>
>>28163387
there's a bunch of shitty social commentary in XY too
Particularly Parfum Place, which is quite obviously Versailles, they imply it's a bad thing to charge money to get inside and that the money may go towards helping restore/retain the building but probably will just go to the rich dumbass that owns it.
As someone that has been to Versailles and appreciates/studies history, I was insulted.
>>
File: pokemon-games-chart.png (66KB, 1174x666px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-games-chart.png
66KB, 1174x666px
>>28164572
middle version consistently sell the worst

remakes always do alright
>>
>>28164543

BW2 sold poorly because gen V as a whole under performed after it's main game.

Merch sold like trash, anime ratings were at a low, general brand popularity was low. BW2 were also at the end of the DS's lifespan.

This is the only place gen V is liked. Everywhere else it's viewed as the worst generation in the entire franchise. I don't just mean butthurt geenwunners. I mean it's popular opinion in the fandom itself. People generally did not like it.

They're trying to steer clear of third versions right now though because of the "I'll wait for the third version" mentality.
>>
>>28163938
>>28164018
Not to mention it's the same tech that created Magearna from the life energy of Pokemon.
>>
>>28164655
I think general opinion of Gen V has changed as of late.

Even outside here I still see people generally rate it high now

>>28164616
They sell worse, definitely. But I don't think say, selling over five million copies would be considered not enough to consider continuing it.

I don't think third versions will continue either BTW, just saying
>>
>>28164316
OR/AS have sold almost exactly as well as X/Y, and B2/W2 have sold more than Platinum and Emerald individually.

So, you're completely wrong.
>>
>>28164543
>gamefreak and pokemon are sorta split between a few companies, but that has more to do with the anime/merchandise and material like the mangas.
Pokemon is jointly owned by Game Freak and Nintendo. Game Freak itself isn't really split as far as I'm aware, and although Pokemon games are made exclusively for Nintendo platforms because of the joint ownership, I'm also pretty sure Game Freak has more power (and money) in the relationship than you think. It may have been different back in the day when Pokemon was an upcoming IP and they needed publisher funding from Nintendo to develop the games, but not so today.
>>
>>28164759
Gen v was the wind waker of pokemon, it did a bunch of strange stuff and had a very distinct visual style but trust me, its going to age really well both mechanically and visually.
>>
>>28164792

B2W2 is considered to underperform because they were brand new entries and games. They weren't the budget updated version, they were essentially brand new main-series games. They share a lot of assets but they also add way more than most third versions and were pushed a bit harder and made for the sole purpose of raising third version sales.

Third versions will probably come back eventually though I think.
>>
>>28164759
It's not just Gen 5. 3, 4 and 6 also get a ton of hate, most of it being fucking retarded and I assume perpetuated by the same people.

It's just insufferable nostalgiafags.
>>
>>28164655
Really makes you think about where they'll end up making Marshadow relevant. Kyurem had two sequel games, and Zygarde was an anime arc with its game plot being in the next generation entirely.

Maybe it'll have its time to shine in DP remakes? Or an entirely new region game also in Gen VII?
>>
>>28164820
>wind waker
>age really well both mechanically and visually.
uh
>>
>>28164857
What dumbass considers BW2 a brand new entry?

It shares a lot more than just "some assets" with B/W1. Probably 80-85% of the content is the same.
>>
File: Wind-Waker-Windfall.jpg (393KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wind-Waker-Windfall.jpg
393KB, 1920x1080px
>>28164876
>he hasn't played wind waker on dolphin at 1080p@60fps with his controller of choice
>>
>>28164209
It was already used in ORAS albeit in a small way.
The rocket used to send the link cable into space was filled with infinity energy to power it. In other words, it was filled with Pokemon ready to be sacrificed.
>>
>>28164209
>given how poorly b/w2 sold
They were the best selling third games after Yellow anon.
>>
>>28164971
okay is there any proof that the devon infinite energy was actually blendered pokemon

because now I'm thinking sea mauville was actually like a platform with a blender below it grinding up wailords
>>
>>28163938
So you remove most of the interesting content from Emerald but throw in a shit ton of lore?

What the fuck.
>>
>>28164866
And 1-2 do as well within the fanbase, partially due to questionable game design and mostly as a reactionary response to people who only accept them. You're not actually allowed to like any generation.

2 and 3 are probably the 'safest', but even then.
>>
>>28165011
>okay is there any proof that the devon infinite energy was actually blendered pokemon
Infinity Energy is the same energy that powered the weapon. If you remember that energy came from Pokemon themselves.

Also it says so in the diaries if you put together the remains of the entries from both games.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sea_Mauville#Confidential_documents
>>
>>28165117
it sounds more like devon was harvesting it from the earth, like keystones or fossils in the earth

and given stevens obsession with rocks....
>>
>>28165117
Did President Stone also mention something about the ethics of Infinity Energy, and how they had to keep using it for the greater good? Or am I misremembering?
>>
>>28164616
This chart isn't even correct.

For starters Crystal just barely sold more than Emerald.
Black and White 2's sales were about 8mil or so which just edges out Platinum which was about 7.8.

So basically it should go
RGB > GS > DP > RS > BW > Yellow > HGSS > FRLG > B2W2 > Plat > Crystal > Emerald

This is why you don't use VGchartz
>>
>>28163438
>a huge abandoned sunken ship will never be rigged in full 3D

SM please fix this
>>
>>28163938

Damn, that's weirdly dark. I mean, there is a lot of indirect lore or content that comes across as pretty damn dark in Pokemon, but that's really fucking driving it home.
>>
>>28164467
>>28164543

Same dude who hasn't played any Hoenn stuff from before; should I get ORAS? Is it worth it for someone with nothing to measure it against? Literally only gen I haven't experienced in some way.
>>
>>28165395
Pick up ORAS but emulate Emerald.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.