[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Mega-Rayquaza banned from Smogon Ubers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: レックウザ.jpg (109KB, 600x810px) Image search: [Google]
レックウザ.jpg
109KB, 600x810px
Basically topic.

Can someone give me the lowdown on why Mega-Rayquaza banned from Smogon Ubers?

I've just recently picked up Alpha Sapphire, and am looking at the competitive scene once again having missed everything pokemon the last 2 years. Noticed that Mega Rayquaza is banned from Ubers for some reason, so I'm really curious as to why.

What makes Mega Ray so special compared to Mewtwo's megas, or the other megas in the game?
>>
>>28156049
The fact that Smogon hates anything it cant kill with one attack.
>>
I have no idea, but if you have to guess, the reason is usually that it was a stall-breaker. (Muh stallers)
>>
>>28156049
I think it has something to do with being able to use items like life orb, something no other megas can.
>>
>>28156049
I believe that not needing to hold a stone makes him that much broken. Mega Mewtwos are about as powerful as Mewtwo with life orb, so you see that the mega spot isnt always worth it.
>>
>>28156065
>smogon loves stall and wants to protect it!
>smogon bans anything they can't kill in one hit!

Make up your mind
>>
It can use held items unlike other megas and primal reversion. Its ability also nullifies a majority of its weaknesses.

Basically smogon did the math and determined that having one on your team of ubers guarantees a free ko.
>>
>>28156049
It doesn't need a stone allowing you to give it an item on top of it being able to 2HKO if not OHKO just about everything with Dragon Ascent.
>>
>>28156049
What the fuck is Mega-Rayquaza lorewise? Is he Primal like Kyogre and Groudon?
>>
>>28156049
>105/180/100/180/100/115
>can use an item
>weak only to Dragon, Ice and Fairy
>great stab and coverage
>dragon dance, sword dance and extremespeed
>>
>>28156256

Rayquaza has a special organ inside it that allows it to mega evolve. It eats meteors while it flies through space to gain energy to mega evolve.
>>
>>28156049
basically, it was just too overpowered. nothing could stop it. they explain everything here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ubers-is-now-a-tier-a-new-metagame-called-anything-goes-is-added-m-ray-is-banned-from-ubers.3523205/

>>28156065
sub-1100 shitter detected
are you assblasted that you couldnt win with Red's Mt. Silver team?

>>28156109
stall is completely nonexistant in ubers desu
>>
>>28156203
>I have a functional brain
>I make up quotes

Make up your mind
>>
>>28156870
he was responding to the poster who said that "Smogon hates anything it cant kill with one attack", because one of the most common "arguments" against Smogon is that "Smogon loves stall and bans everything that threatens it"
>>
>over 100 in every stat
>fucking 180 mixed attack stats
>doesn't need a megastone to evolve
>free item slot
>overpowered signature move
>oc donut steel ability which cancels out major weaknesses
>oc donut steel ability which cancels out two other major Uber Pokémon

Mega Rayquaza reads like a bad DeviantArt fanfic. It's overpowered as balls and basically unstoppable.
>>
>>28156049
As others have said, it's got huge stats, a great ability, and can hold an item, but it isn't even necessarily because those make it more powerful.
The thing that pushes it over the edge is its unpredictability. It has a massive movepool in both physical and special, along with huge attack stats in both. Along with this, you don't know whether it'll be focus sash, life orb, expect belt, choice band, leftovers, or whatever else. It's difficult to deal with because of its power, but because of its versatility, you can't see it in team preview and plan ahead exactly what you have on your team to counter it.
>>
>>28156049
What besides insane bulk, incredible movepool and 780 BST that outclasses practically everything whilst breaking anything that could counter it.
You tell me.
>>
>>28156049
Because the format for ubers is singles.
Mega fug is really great 1 on 1 but not very good in doubles (see vgc).
>>
>>28156380
To add to this, lorewise its mega is activated not necessarily by having a strong bond with its trainer but by having a strong bond with the people it protects. He is basically a god answering prayers and helping the hero (the player)
>>
File: zyg.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
zyg.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>28156049
Its a new class of Pokemon, essentially. Everything near Mega Rayquaza's strength has a dumb ability and/or is locked out of an item slot

Expect pic related to join it in a couple of months if Power Construct cooperates most of the time
>>
>>28158821
>not very good in doubles (see vgc).
It's not as good as it is in single but Rayogre is still a really powerful core.
>>
>>28156857
>all these +1 and +2 calcs
Fucking wat.
Why is oneshotting shit after DD boosts evidence of anything, that's what DD is supposed to do.
>>
A pokemon is basically judged on 4 key things; Typing, Movepool, BST and Abilities

M-Quaza exceeds in all 4

>Dragon/Flying is still an excellent combination
>Highest base stats in the game
>Insanely good movepool in addition to unique Flying equivalent of Close Combat
>Unique ability that removes all his Flying type weakness

Combine this with it's secomd unique ability to equip an item and Mega evolve at the same time.
>>
>>28156049
It can mega evolve with a really powerful STAB move rather than a stone, is fast and strong as fuck, and has an ability that dampens it's neutral damage from electric, 4x damage from ice, and 2x from rock.

So like everything viable that smogon touches, it got kicked upstairs.
>>
>>28160063
>Why is oneshotting shit after DD boosts evidence of anything, that's what DD is supposed to do.
That's not really the case anymore. The few Pokemon that can just get up and go after a +1 or +2 will still find some serious opposition either from walls, tanks, or being outsped. I remember people were seriously considering max defense Mega Aggron as a way to stop Mega Rayquaza sweeps, and even that proved to be futile.
>>
>>28160338
I'm not disputing that fug is broken because he is for a multitude of reasons, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but
>or being outsped
This is true for SD or NP, but not DD, and it's the whole reason DD is used over SD.
>>
Just burn it lmao
>>
File: 1472256471998.png (2MB, 1064x983px) Image search: [Google]
1472256471998.png
2MB, 1064x983px
>>28161091
>burning mega fug
>180 sp.attack
>>
>>28160002
Sorry I should've said it isn't as good as a lot of other top threats. I mean yeah it's great, but not worth the mega slot.
>>
>>28160640
Priority can still happen
>>
>>28156049
>ice shard
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.