[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Shit we believed/were told as a kid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 16

>back when GSC were super popular, early 200's
>my young self and all my friends thought the Unown were so mysterious
>our one friend claimed if you catch all the Unown, they will transform into one combined Super Unown, which is the most powerful Pokemon of all time
>never could catch all the letters
>spent years thinking the combined form was real
>>
I believed the "Mew under that one truck" thing as a kid
>>
After a certain amount of launches at the Mossdeep Space Center you could take a rocket and capture Deoxys in space.
>>
>>28087408
We all did.
>one time mom bought me a used copy of Red as a surprise
>so excited to play, start it up
>already a file, had a Bulbasaur, a Pidgey, and a Mew
>thought the Mew was a fake and deleted the save data
Looking back I was probably right, but still retarded.
>>
File: VRAGE.gif (2MB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
VRAGE.gif
2MB, 500x480px
>>28087385
>be 11 years old me
>playing pokemon sapphire
>finally beat steven
>nowwhattodo.png
>google pokemon saphire secrets
>open autistic post on autistic forum
>"there's a secret pokemon called komodrako lurking in the safari zone"
>"first you need to catch 30 pokemon in the safari zone using your 30 balls"
>"in the same run"
>painintheass.mp3
>after weeks of disgusting struggle I finally accomplished it
>nothing happens
>mfw
>>
Some retard told me if you got a win streak of 2000 in the Battle Tower in DPPt you would be able to go to Kanto, 3000 takes you to Johto, 4000 takes you to Hoenn. Had an Action Replay so I actually tried but my game was stolen.

And a bunch of rumors about that one Sootopolis City old guy with the door blocked by three trees.
>>
>>28087504

>11 years old
>Playing sapphire

Underage detected
>>
>>28087517
how so? I was playing that when I was 11, back in 2002
>>
>>28087517
Anon... RS are 14 year old games.
>>
File: 1464820013117.jpg (42KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1464820013117.jpg
42KB, 285x285px
>>28087507
>Some retard told me

But you believed him, anon. Who's the real retard?
>>
File: 1471746264801.png (156KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1471746264801.png
156KB, 600x700px
>>28087517
>tfw this faggot believes that ORAS is not a remake from old games but an original pokemon game
>>
>before RS released
>hear about double battles
>friend convinces everyone at school that every battle is double battle and you get to have 12 Pokemon on your team now

Fuck me it sounded logical at the time
>>
>To evolve Slowpoke you need to go fishing and catch a Shellder

I can't remember the exact process but it was something about fishing with Slowpoke first in your party, battling with it, catching the Shellder, then selecting Shellder and moving it on top of Slowpoke, and then it would bite the tail and evolve.
>>
>>28087385
>early 200's
fucking oldfags
>>
File: 1465064065102.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1465064065102.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>You can go back to Johto AND Kanto in RSE!
>You can go back to Johto Kanto AND Hoenn in DPPt!
>You can catch Mewthree in Crystal version!
>Pikablu
>PokeGods
>Beat the elite 4 100 times in 5 mins for some stupid fucking made up Pokemon

We had rough childhoods.
>>
"If you breed two different pokemon species into the daycare you could get a fused pokemon from the egg"
>>
File: 1304874703424.png (244KB, 602x602px) Image search: [Google]
1304874703424.png
244KB, 602x602px
>>28087606
kek'd
>>
>>28087517
>11 + 14 < 18
man, where has the time gone
>>
>if you surfed into a cave near dewford town and ran around room two times clinging to the wall you would unlock a fight with a legendary Pokemon
lol nice fucking try johnny
>>
Togepi was in the game

Spent a night using the itemfinder over 100 times in Mt. Moon
>>
When I was a kid, I was incredibly trusting and naive. I never thought my friends would ever lie to me, so I believed everything they told me. Not in the autistic way like I couldn't tell sarcasm and shit, but like they could point blank lie to me and I would just believe them because I was always honest with them. Friends don't lie to each other and shit.

Back in the early days of D/P, I was 12 years old and I had been a fan of Pokemon since I was 5. My friend convinced me that I could unlock a legitimate special Shiny Cyndaquil that knew Roar of Time if I were to use certain techniques at Snowpoint City that would unlock "sparkling rainbow snow" on January 1st at 12:00 AM 2008.

I was so fucking hyped for that day that I marked it in my calendar and shit and when it came, obviously nothing happened, and I was absolutely crushed. Cyndaquil was my favorite as this was before I had taste and I thought I fucked something up and it was ruined forever.

I called him in near tears saying I must have fucked something up and he encouraged it, saying I absolutely did and there was probably no chance of me getting one now.

I started actually crying and then he fessed up he made the whole thing up because it was really easy to trick me like that and he thought it was funny. I hung up on him and never spoke to him again because he transferred to a school for people with Asperger's. Not my blog, but a lot of people lied to me that year, including a few people who tricked me into thinking they had a crush on me before laughing and mocking me. I haven't been able to trust a lot of people ever since that year.
>>
>>28087385
>Early 200's
Damn your old. Did you meet Jesus?
>>
>>28088113
>Jesus
>200s

Jesus was alive during Herod the Great's reign, that was like -5 BC.
>>
Friend up the street heard that in red & blue if you beat the elite 4 and champion 100 times the text would turn japanese. He kept count but I don't think he made it past 20.
>>
Not necessarily believed, but rumours I remember from childhood.

>The Mew under the truck thing
>Walking into the side of Oak's lab like 500 times would spawn Mew
>Marrill was a Pikachu evolution called Pikablu
>Something about Houndour and Houndoom actually being some sort of alien legendaries not too different from what Deoxys ended up being
>>
>>28087385
Holy crap! I didn't know Pokémon was created in the 3rd century! Thanks OP!
>>
>>28088107
Sorry you no longer have taste, anon.
>>
>>28087792
This actually screwed me up in emerald. I thought you actually had to run, when you really just had to walk.

I kept trying and trying to run a perfect lap around the room while holding B.
>>
>>28088288
>knowing things about history means you're an autist

Man American schools just get better and better!
>>
>10 years old
>playing FR
>some random kid in my school told me
''If you complete the kanto pokedex and order every pokemon on the dex, pokegod will appear and you will get to choose any you want!''
>belived him
>2 daily hours catching, trading and evolving for like 5-6 weeks
>2 days ordening every single kanto pokemon in the box by pokedex number
>after a long time i complete it
>search pokegods
>nothing
>cry
>beat the shit out of that kid
>>
>>28087456
This
>>
>>28088161
By what defines BC, no. Jesus was born at either 0 AD or the transitional year between 1 BC and 1 AD.
>>
>>28088466
Historians have been able to show that the year originally believed to be the year of Christ's birth was really a few years off.
>>
>>28088466
isn't the actual historical date of Jesus' birth unclear and debated about
>>
>>28088466
He actually wasn't. Even if you use The Bible itself, he was born during Herod the Great's reign which was from 37 BC-4 BC when he died. That was his time as the client king of Judea. If Jesus was an actual man that was born, it was during that time. Most likely sometime from 8-5 BC. His death likely being 25-28 AD.
>>
>>28087385
Something about the ruins of alph in Crystal always fascinated me as a kid. I thought there was some sort of big secret there. The floor writings, puzzles and radio signal made it so mysterious and creepy I just somehow came to the conclusion that there is something else here that I'm missing besides a few items. I literally went through every title, wall and statue in the map and pressed A to see if there was a hidden item around. Double checked with the Itemfinder.

I also tried to catch every Unown to see if that unlocked anything. I could never do it thanks to bad RNG. I didn't have internet at the time, so I couldn't check for any secrets there. Didn't have a prima guide either.

I really wanted to get a game boy printer too, thinking it would print some secret shit since the printer place is in the ruins.
>>
My friend somehow convinced me that blaziken was the strongest and best Pokemon
>>
Ditto is a failed clone of Mew. Still can't decide either way... shit makes too much sense to be a coincidence.
>>
>>28088541
Same here. I swore up and down that some of the text was getting a little bit bolder when I caught some of them.

Spent a good part of a summer just hammering away at them and trying to catch all the other pokemon in the game.
>>
>>28088607
Word of God denies it.
>>
>>28087517
You fucking goofed real HARD there, sir.
>>
>>28087606
You Newfags wouldn't be here if us oldfags didn't start the whole pokémania shit back in '97!
>>
>>28087517
I-is this some high-quality bait?Even kids who grew up with D/P aren't underage(most of the time).

Who else /1998/ here?
>>
A lot of bullshit about mirage island and the space station.

Two rumors about you being able to catch deoxys at each one. The space station being some kind of bullshit thing where if it hit a certain launch (99, 100 or something about) you could go to space and catch deoxys. I also heard you had to hit lotto with trainer IDs to even get a chance. A lot of bullshit behind this one.

The other one was a lot simple but had a lot of similar rumors. The lotto thing with trainer IDs existed for this one too but this time a value had to match the first two numbers in your trainer ID.

The regis were super fucking gay, it almost sounded like bullshit with the reicanth and wailord but it's all true. I don't even know why.
>>
Bill's secret garden.
I'm still mad.
>>
File: Fisker.png (181KB, 569x422px) Image search: [Google]
Fisker.png
181KB, 569x422px
>>28087385
>if you mix batteries theyll explode.
>>
>>28089001
me
>>
>>28089001
over here, also part of the youngest legal batch on /vp/
>>
>if you don't save in a pokemon center, bad things will happen
>>
File: 1470403716891.gif (110KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470403716891.gif
110KB, 320x240px
>>28089001
I /1997/ but I'm still 18
>>
>>28089412
Pretty much Lumiose City before XY patch
>>
>>28089001
It is extremely low quality bait, and somehow not just one person but multiple people actually bit.

I don't know which party I'm more disappointed in between the D-tier baiter and the people who took it, but I can say without doubt that both are likely underage so it hardly matters.
>>
File: 1461423847649.png (69KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461423847649.png
69KB, 300x300px
>>28087655
This. Been playing since gen 1 on gameboy. No need to mention mew under the truck I think everyone tried that. Also so much timewasting shit.

>UP+B when throwing a pokeball increases the catch rate
>(before gsc came out when the only known gen2's were togepi and the starters) if you use the itemfinder in mt. moon x times on each floor there's a slight chance to find togepi randomly
>(after gsc) on rby if you get pokemon traded from gsc and beat the e4 with it 20 times you unlock new game+/new area
>>
>Gold and Silver were out
>friend said he knew how to get Celebi
>catch all Unown first
>find Suicune 3 times at National Park
>you will find Celebi near Red on Mt. Silver
I never tried it, since I knew you can only find Suicune on routes. I was an asshole, so I still spread it around. I also believed the "hold up+B with a ball" trick cause of coincidence.
>>
>kids born in 1997 are 19 years old

Time to end it senpai
>>
>>28088107
>Not in the autistic way
>writes autistic post
>>
>There's a legendary Pokémon hiding in Mt. Silver, but you have to go there at 3 AM
>If you drop your Game Boy Color at exactly 8 PM while fishing in Blackthorn City, you'll encounter a Shiny Magikarp
>>
Being totally honest here, I was a huge pain in the ass as a child. I never believed anything people told me unless I heard it from a direct source. I'm not bragging about this either, I was really, no fun central. I remember some kid pulled the "My uncle at nintendo" shit on me and I just argued with him all of recess and then CRIED. Then sgain, not a lot of kids around me played pokemon, not the games at least.
>>
>>28090101
I'm turning 22 next month. I've been on one 4chan board after another since I was 16. I just realized I'm no longer a newfag. Fuck in 3 years time we'll have post 911 kids legally posting here. I don't wanna get old.
>>
>>28090157
I turned 22 a few months ago and I started browsing 4chan when I was 13, going on 14. It's not a good feeling. I can't believe that this board is over 6 years old now. I remember it feeling like Pokémania when it was made.
>>
>>28088107
ok
>>
Some little Japanese shit told me that if you run from a battle your Pokemon's speed decreases. Never ran from battles because of him.
>>
File: 1408121596929.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1408121596929.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>28090157
>25 years old
>Just realised my ten year anniversary of being on 4chan must have been sometime this year
>mfw I found this place by people on gaiaonline discussion boards talking about how "scary" /b/ was

/vp/ still feels like a brand new board to me, same with /x/. I can't believe moot as a concept is dead now, and bring back snacks has absolutely NO relevance to the majority of posters today.
>>
File: 1457390493184.png (75KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
1457390493184.png
75KB, 500x285px
>>28088161
>Jesus
>Real
>>
I believed Agatha was a ghost type trainer.
>>
>>28088498
>>28088513
>>28088531
>/vp/- Christian history and shit
>>
Stats lowered in battle were permanent.
>>
>>28090213
>Brock is a Ground-type Trainer
>Lorelei is a Water-type Trainer
>Agatha is a Poison-type Trainer
>Lance is a Flying-type Trainer
>>
>>28090207
Did you not read the history books kid?
I can't wait till school teaches you these things soon.
>>
>>28088107
Sorry Christian
>>
>>28090157
>6 years
You're still a newfag.
>>
>>28087385
Pikablue in gen 1, Orange Islands in GSC.

The weird thing about Pikablue is I believed it because I ran into a blueish-purple Pikachu in the safari zone.

I still don't know what that's all about, I know factually that should be impossible. My best guess is I accidentally did some variation of the long range trainer glitch by accident, monkeys with a keyboard style.

I also remember seeing bootleg Pokemon Pink and Purple as a kid and I've never seen anything about that either. I remember it being weird to me even then and it's always stuck out in my mind because I thought it didn't make sense for Jigglypuff and Ghastly to be box mascots. My dad knew they were fakes and wouldn't let me buy them, but even as an adult I still wonder what was on those cartridges.
>>
I believed that mew was in the grass outside pallet town.

This ended when I got a gameshark and tried walking through walls and discovered that the game just crashes
>>
I used to believe that a Wish Tag was an item in RSE that could be used to encounter Jirachi in Mossdeep City. I assumed you got it at an event, but one never came.
>>
>>28087385
>our one friend claimed if you catch all the Unown, they will transform into one combined Super Unown, which is the most powerful Pokemon of all time

This kinda happened in the Entei movie.
>>
>>28087385
I remember, when I was somewhere between 6-8 years old, I was at summer camp.

One of the kids I was talking to said if you beat Gary 30 times, Professor Oak would give you HM06, which would allow you to walk through walls.
>>
>You got to play through the orange islands/league in pokemon yellow
>>
>>28089001
/1998/ reporting in
>>
>>28087517
Either this is bait or you're dumber than a retarded nigger.

Ruby/Sapphire came out Nov. 2002. Almost 14 years ago. 11+14=25. Fucking faggot.
>>
The fun thing about these things was the fact internet access wasn't as widespread so you didn't know if these rumours were true or not and there was a sense of wonder/mystery.

Now kids can just look it up on the internet, it kinda sucks for them but at least they're not made to look like idiots I suppose.
>>
>during RB
>everyone is already aware of various glitches
>kids n school start inventing their own glitches and claiming they are actually real
>the glitches typically activated after "the gameboy fell to the floor" so that nobody could reactivate it
>the glitches get more and more unbelievable
>shit like you got a gun and could start killing overworld NPCs, or could have sex with Misty
>at the end we all were pretty much aware it was a lie and just pretended to believe each other
>>
>>28088107
Autismos the Asper draws near!
>>
>>28087385
I thought catching all Unown would result in opening up a chamber where Entei resides. You know, the 3rd movie and stuff.
>>
>Pokemon Yellow is out soon! It has Togepi in it!
>>
>>28089326
>>28089362
>>28090710
fucking newfags
/1998/fag here
>>
>>28088107
>Autism: the blog post
Anon, we need to talk...
>>
>>28090887
There was this guy who would post on these 'glitching' forums back in the day incessantly about how Missingno got out of his cartridge and into his house one day and he has been haunted ever since. We all told him he was a retard but he still hung around.
>>
>>28091027
1995 is the cool kid year, though, anon
>>
>My friend convinced me that in crystal. if you defeat red enough times, he eventually drops an item called passport.
>You go to prof Oak and he explains to you that there's an airport south of Palet town.
>You go there get on a plane get to an island
Yhen the there's a dialog box that says "ALAKAZAM STOP"
>The screen shakes a little and you find yourself back on top of MT Silver and your rival challenges you. His team is like in the 90s.

I believed that for so long.
>>
>>28087385
I thought that if you catch all Unown a new area will open in Ruins of Alph with a legendary inside it. I forgot which legendary it was supposed to be, though.
I actually did catch all Unown and was fucking disappointed.
>>
>>28088107
so basically YOU got sent to the aspergers school? not your friend?
>>
>>28087408
I was a little skeptical. But then i did the Cut workaround and got Surf and saw the truck... and i was so excited! But then... the disappointment...
>>
File: image.jpg (373KB, 680x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
373KB, 680x750px
>>28087517
When you realize the guy calling someone underage is underage
>>
>>28090043
I believed the trick to celebi was to get all unown and catch all 3 dogs. Then save and reset game in front of that shrine in the forest.
>>
>/vp/ hated the kid who made shit up at the playground to get attention
>/vp/ supports "I just got fired from the translation team" threads

I don't get it.
>>
>>28087385
>even to this day I still press up and B when catching a Pokemon
>It's almost become a reflex at this point
>>
>cousin tried to tell me saying "Gotcha" into the DS Mic would up your catch rate in DP
>this one kid told me that if you get all 16 badges and beat the Elite 4 a certain number of times and catch Lugia in the Whirl Islands that the S.S. Tidal would be able to take you to the Orange Islands for a 3rd quest in GS
>Johto is in FRLG
>That one kid who said he transferred a shadow Pokemon to RS
>>
>>28091086
>cool anything
>after 1990
>>
>>28091240
I was hoping there would be a lot more with the Unown too but it's largely useless.

And for some reason, mostly becauae of the fucking anime, I mostly kept the first 6 Pokemon I caught in R/B/Y. I dunno why but I thought switching them out would cause them to hate me.
>>
>older brother tells me pressing up+A will increase the chances of catching a pokemon
>slightly sceptical but whatever, figure if something actually increased the odds it would be talked about in the game or hinted at officially
>later hear him talking on the phone to his friend, don't think he realised how thin the walls were in our shitty little house
>"ha ha, i told him to press up+A and he believed me, what an idiot"
>immediately go back to believing that it's all bullshit
>"yeah everybody knows that it's down+B that really works"
>mfw
>>
>>28087456
Pretty sure this rumor was so widespread that it was the inspiration for the detla episode in ORAS. like I swear the first time I heard it was on serebii but that was so long ago I could be totally wrong.
>>
>>28087517
Nigga, I did that too and I'm 24 now. Accept that we're all getting older.
>>
>>28087456
This except I heard it was Jirachi.
>>
File: 1470934505763.jpg (23KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
1470934505763.jpg
23KB, 500x285px
>>28088107
The fuck I just read?
>>
>>28091333

>dogs
You mean beasts. How can you get trips and still be so wrong?
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.