[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that people had such a hard time with her? You can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

Why is it that people had such a hard time with her? You can easily catch an Abra and trade it for a Machop in the shop. Still having a problem? Get Totodile and keep rage. Still having a problem? Get a rock type. Still having a problem? Get a ghost type with curse. Still having a problem? Get a Pokémon with a status effect move, mostly a move that makes the foe sleep. Still having a problem? Get a Wobbuffet. And if you're still struggling to beat her, you probably suck.
>>
>>28002651
>not just embering the crap out of milktank and getting burn hax
>>
>>28002692
>relying on hax
>>
>>28002692
Rollout might OHKO the fire type.
>>
>>28002651
>Why is it that people had such a hard time with her?
Because they were literal children who probably only used their starter?
>>
wow op it's like you identified the fact that only little kids struggle with whitney because mashing their favorite attack with their starter probably won't work and instead need to consider other avenues to heat her like the ones you suggested

or maybe you were implying that everyone considers he difficult to beat, in which case you're retarded
>>
>>28002651
The biggest problem is the endless healing supply and attracting others. It's RNG. I personally think they gave you those trades just to help you beat her.

But in experiences with gen 1 NPC trades are usually not worth it

where do you get a wobbuffett
>>
>>28002651
I only had a hard time with her when I first played Silver as a kid. I didn't know what I was getting myself into and got destroyed. After the first playthrough, I breezed through her in Crystal and SoulSilver
>>
>>28002785
*not to forget parahax
>>
>>28002785
I think it's a Pokémon Crystal exclusive, but you can get a Wobbuffet in the Game Corner.
>>
I remember the first time I fought her in Silver. For some reason I spent weeks catching Pokemon and grinding by the ruins and union cave before going to Azalea. By the time I got to her my Ampharos swept her.
>>
I was screaming at the screen for my Croconaw to stop falling in love with that fucking cow. It doesn't help that my whole team had to be all boys because I was stuck up like that.
>>
>>28002651
It's a reddit meme.
>>
File: not for this.jpg (10KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
not for this.jpg
10KB, 200x199px
>>28002999
>I was screaming at the screen for my Croconaw to stop falling in love with that fucking cow.
This seems awfully familiar...
>>
>>28002651
by those points no gym leader is hard.
also, many people don't wanna use a special team for every gym. If I don't wanna train machop I will not use. You're just saying: use the strongest one, like in smog...
ohh....
>>
>>28003021

It far, far predates reddit newfag.

It's because she's generally hard for a 9 year old who is trying to use his best bros instead of trying to get a type advantage. She's remembered for, and meme'd for, that status.
>>
>>28002785
isn't wobbufett in dark cave?
>>
>>28003254
You can find one in the Game Corner. But it's Pokémon Crystal exclusive.
>>
>>28002785
>Gen 1 NPC Trades aren't worth it

DUX(Farfetch'd) is a great HM user, but he's also superior to Fearow thanks to faster leveling and Swords Dance, while Fearow is absolute shit since it doesn't get Drill Peck until level 34 and no good normal attacks until Celadon.

TERRY(Nidorina) and SPOT(NidoranF) tears the game a new one as you can use both in conjunction thanks to their uge TM/HM movepool and they level like crazy due to being Medium Slow and traded.

MARCEL(Mr.Mime) is comparable to what you trade for him(Abra), though he does need an extra TM for Psychic.

MARC(Lickitung) is absolute horseshit for battle, but Slowbro could be caught in the wild at Route 23 just after Erika to trade for him. Just pick up an extra and you get a great HM slave as MARC can use Cut, Surf and Strength.

LOLA(Jynx) is a massive improvement over what you trade for her.

DORIS(Electrode) is arguably an improvement as well due to almost as high base special as Raichu and superior speed(and thus critical hit rate) and bulk.
Raichu only had physical attack in it's favor, but Electrode had Explosion as a panic button.
Both needed the Thunderbolt TM if you wanted to use them.

CRINKLES(Tangela). It offered massive bulk for the time and overall better stats, but it was very reliant on TMs, while the Venomoth you would trade for him had excellent level up moves.

SAILOR(Seel) is a monster who tears the entire endgame to pieces with Water and Ice STAB and X Accuracy Horn Drill. Easily worth the trade considering Ponyta can be caught at the very same island.

Every single trade in Red and Blue is worth it to a degree.
>>
>>28002785
>>28003824

Yellow:
MILES(Mr.Mime) was not really worth it since Clefairy was a monster in-game in Gen 1 that could be promoted a long time ago.

RICKY(Machoke->Machamp) worth it both in terms of combat AND Pokédex filling, and all you needed to trade away was Cubone.

GURIO(Dugtrio)... you can't even get him until post-game due to Lickitung not being available. Not worth it at all

SPIKE(Parasect), who you could trade for Tangela. Not worth it, since Tangela was a rare Safari Zone mon in Yellow and better in combat than Parasect.

BUFFY(Rhydon) honestly just worth it for dex filling and arguably HM slavery since Golduck could only be caught severely underleveled.

CEZANNE(Dewgong) Pretty much just the same as Sailor, but even better since it's already evolved. Still traded for a local mon that's easy to find too.

STICKY(Muk).... Nah, garbage trade since you give up the much better Kangaskhan.

Yellow was way more hit and miss.
>>
>>28002761
When I was kid I did exactly that and had no trouble
whitney isn't hard, everyone's just a bunch of shitters. If you have trouble with any Pokemon game at all you're a fucking retard
>>
A GAME FOR KIDS
>>
>>28003824
>>28004142
The exclusives with generally decent stats are all "worth it" thanks to EXP boosts. Heck, since most things are usable in-game they're all worth it.
>>
>>28003824
Why the FUCK did he name his Electrode "Doris"? Why is Lickitung "Marc". I remember that upsetting me. Even I occasionally use people names for Pokemon, but those are both like, old white people names.
>>
>>28003824
>good because he's an HM slave
>trading Nidorina for Nidoran. Literally the same Pokemon
>using cut to get mr mime, catching an Abe's and not evolving it
>good because HM's
>I'll give you jynx
>if you have a Raichu odds are you've trained it up already with TM's if you're willing to spend money on a stone
>tangela, good. You're trading away spore for this
>you already need a water type to get to Cinnabar, but this isn't too bad

Like 2/9

>>28004142
>correct
>that was actually great
>yes
>yes
>dex filling
>meh, odds are you have a lapras at cinnabar
>of course not

Are they really that good?
>>
>>28004246
>old white people names
Did you want Tyrones and DeShauns?
>>
>>28002651
>she's easy if you go out of your way to catch mons just to beat her
>>
>>28004320
I mean, most of the later names are puns or reference the species in some way. I'm kind of curious to know what the original Japanese names were.
>>
Whitney thread?
>>
>>28002651
>Why is it that people had such a hard time with her?
Because most of us were literally like seven?
>>
File: 1366538315182.jpg (65KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1366538315182.jpg
65KB, 640x400px
>>28002651

Whitney was only hard (like most things that can be hard in these games) if you go into it unprepared AND don't have one of the appropriate counters on hand.

Sure if you have a female Machop on hand you're fine, but if your team at that stage in the game is, I don't know, Croconaw, Pidgeotto and Mareep, then you're going to have some troubles.

Most Normal gym leaders can be like that though.
>>
Well, Cheren sucks because he's the first leader in BW2. But Lenora in BW can be a bitch if you're not ready for retaliate spam. Also, fuck Norman.
>>
>>28002651
she was tough to beat but not really a hard time. I used strategy you know, with my starter and other pokemon that I had caught take down her Milktank.
Croconaw did the job thought.
>>
>>28002761
I beat her with my croconaw and I had the following team back then.
Croconaw, Pidgeotto, Mareep and a quagsire I think.
>>
>>28004684
>Croconaw, Pidgeotto and Mareep
I had this team and I beat the bitch... and also quagsire thought.
>>
>>28002651
She was just genuinely difficult.
>>
>>28002651
Her team in the PWT in B2W2 is also pretty easy, even in the World Leaders tournament.
>>
>>28002999

>stuck up like that

Males were really stronger in G/S though. It wasn't autism or imagination. I learned that recently too
>>
>>28004301
>>trading Nidorina for Nidoran. Literally the same Pokemon
That tasty boosted EXP
>>
>>28002651

The thing is you usually go in blindly and don't specifically prepare for Gym leaders.
You go in with your weak mon to train it beat Clefable, easy enough anf then FUCK MILTANK WTF WHY DOES IT TANKS O MUCH WHY IS ROLL OUT SO STRONG WHAT THE FUCK

And it usually takes a little training to beat her and it doesn't take as long as getting a new fubking Machomp and traininv it up just do beat her and then box it forever
>>
Becaus Miltank was the first Johto Pokemon a gym leader had and you didn't really expect it or know what the fuck it was about

So enough people walked in blind as a kid and blacked out once or twice against her.

And when you hear "normal gym" you're not that worried about types you're just going in cocky because normal isn't super effective against anyone.
>>
>>28004301
>good because he's an HM slave
He's also far better in combat than Fearow. He does get outclassed by Dodrio later, but so does Fearow, and for the time he and Fearow can be used, he's better. Also, him and MARC cover all the important HMs.

>trading Nidorina for Nidoran. Literally the same Pokemon

Medium slow and trade boosted means this thing levels at an insane rate. Having two Nidoqueens is not a problem. Also, Nidoran male is not Nidoran female, and is in fact way better for the early game so it's perfect to trade for SPOT(NidoranF) once decent TMs show up. And TERRY can be easily picked up after you hit the Safari Zone and catch Level 31-33 Nidorinos.
I said they were worth trading for for in-game purposes. These two Nidoqueens have insane coverage between themselves and level faster than any mon in the game. They can abuse X Acc Horn Drill AND Fissure on top of it.

>using cut to get mr mime, catching an Abe's and not evolving it
A. Abra is underleveled and should barely be evolving at this time.
B. Mime levels faster.
C. Mime is way less frail due to high speed and Barrier
D. Mime has better Coverage due to Thunderbolt

>good because HM's
Best HM slave in the game for a mon you can easily fish up in droves? Yeah, he's good for IN-GAME purposes.

>if you have a Raichu odds are you've trained it up already with TM's if you're willing to spend money on a stone
Agreed, which is why it's one of the weaker trades. With that said, there is both a Thunder and Thunderbolt TM, and you can let Doris have one of the two if you go for the trade.

>tangela, good. You're trading away spore for this
No, you trade away VENONAT

>you already need a water type to get to Cinnabar, but this isn't too bad

Yeah, but very few Water types have Ice moves upon level up and Horn Drill as well as boosted Exp.

So nah, there's no outright bad trade in RB outside possibly DORIS the Electrode
>>
>>28008436
huh? pls explain
>>
>>28004301

Yellow

>dex filling
Well, that and HMs. BUFFY's not really worth using, but trading a Golduck for him isn't a big deal.

>meh, odds are you have a lapras at cinnabar

Lapras is complete garbage in-game and should never be used as an argument not to pick up a later Water/Ice user.
It comes roughly 20 levels underleveled and is part of the slowest experience group. Dewgong absolutely massacres it in every way.
The strongest argument against using Dewgong is not Lapras, it's Articuno, because Articuno is Level 50 and available before Cinnabar. It will have both Blizzard and Ice Beam within a level and can learn BubbleBeam. Only thing it's lacking is X Accuracy Horn Drill. But with how badly Water and Ice slaughters the Red and Blue endgame, it doesn't really hurt to run both Dewgong and Articuno.
>>
>>28008748
>In Generation II, a Pokémon's gender was determined through its Attack IV. Due to this, a female Pokémon could never have a maximized Attack stat (unless they were a member of an all-female species, such as Smoochum), because female Pokémon were given the lower portion of the IV range. This also prevented female Pokémon of a species with a gender ratio of seven males to one female, such as starter Pokémon or Eevee, from being Shiny, due to that also being based partly on the Attack IV. From Generation III onward, neither of these traits are determined by IVs, allowing for Pokémon species with two genders to have females with maximized Attack and simultaneously retain their chances of being Shiny.
>>
>>28008748
If the attack stat of a Pokémon is higher then average, it's a male, and if it's lower then average, it's a female.
>>
>>28002651
Are you retarded?

Of course a gym leader is easy if you get thing specifically to beat them.

People who find her hard are playing the game with a specific team and aren't gonna catch a new Mon for 1 gym.

When I got to her, all of my team was make and I just found a way to win with what I had.
>>
>>28009253
*male

This was a few weeks ago BTW. Stomp Attract is legitimately annoying. Whitney and TateLiza (Emerald) are the only leaders I'll have a tough time with every time.
>>
>>28009291
I never found Tate and Liza hard. At that point you should have a Pokémon with surf that can easily take both of them down.
>>
>>28009304
He's talking about emerald though
>>
>>28002651
Because back then we didn't found information as easily as of now. It's easy now you just have to go to serebii/ bulbapedia and have her team comp, their move where to find her counter but back then if you didn't buy the strategy guide you had to figure it by yourself.
>>
>>28009253
/thread
>>
>>28008532
Bugsy had Spinarak I thought.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.