[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were unlimited use TMs a good or bad thing, /vp/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (101KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
101KB, 540x360px
Were unlimited use TMs a good or bad thing, /vp/?
>>
>>27948381
TMs used to gather dust in my PC before unlimited use. Only store available ones saw any use.
>>
Good. One use TMs only had a purpose back when you had a limit of items to carry,
>>
>>27948381
Coming from a guy playing since first gen I love it.

I don't care about the price increase because as soon as I have one I don't need a new one.

Makes grinding and finding tms all the better.

Especially finding em..

Yo know, because they are free unlimited use.
>>
>>27948381
No. Unlimited TMs basically made Pokémon easier and that's one of the reasons why Gen 5 sucks. Gen 1 was the best.
>>
>finite TMs
>never use them because I never wanted them to be gone forever like fire emblem weapons
>>
>TMs are one-use only, but,
>all TMs are available in a shop
In my ideal world.
>>
>>27948381
Really, really good thing.
>>
NO because it is different to Gen 1. Anything different to Gen 1 is bad and not worth your time.
>>
>>27948465
that's an awful idea
>>
I thought they were pretty good. Originaly maybe I thought they made things easy but actually they just added versatility to the in game. It's fun being able to adapt properly to a hard enemy.
>>
>>27948381
Great idea
>>
>>27948465
>everyone buys 10 of each tm, just in case
yeah no, they're perfect right now - expensive but unlimited use
>>
>ITT: underage disguised as genwunners for (You)'s
>>
>>27948465
You don't see the issue with this do you...

>TMs are locked behind high price BP prices making you grind for them again
>>
>>27948381
Far better. When they were powerful, it made sense to get one use out of them, but making them infinite use and having stronger ones a little harder to get than just outright buying them, or more expensive than usual, is just a better design choice. Single use now would be pointless, and puts in an additional need to grind for money to buy them if you need more.
>>
>>27948381
Good since I don't have to rack my brain over who should learn what
>>
A good thing. Single-use were fine when the game was small and it was just use what you catch, and battling was a side thing to do with people you knew in real life.

Now with breeding, online battling of random people, the sheer amount of pokemon to train, and the (sometimes) post-game and side-activities to do, having them be limited would just be a pointless chore and needless chokehold. This is just part of pokemon as a series growing up and needing more space to expand.
>>
I don't think I ever used a TM before Gen 5.
>>
Good. I was really happy when they did this in Gen V. The only thing left is getting rid of shit HMs like Cut and make them items
>>
>>27948453
How would you guys feel if during the story, TMs were limited but they could be unlocked for infinite use post game?
>>
>>27948779
>post-game
There is no post-game faggot. Another reason why Gen 5 sucks.
>>
I'd rather not start a TM Economy where people hoard a pile of Earthquake TMs and ask for shinies in exchange.
>>
File: 427742741523.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
427742741523.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>27948838
>>
>>27948465
>>TMs are one-use only, but,
>>all TMs are available in a shop

How corporate can you get?
>>
>>27948381
Better, before that one use TM and the shitty learnset of many pokemon meant that you were limited in the number of pokemon you could use even in game.
For exemple in gen 1 Rhyhorn doesn't learn a single rock move by leveling up and the only rock move TM was rock slide, if you taught rock slide to one of your other pokemon you will be probably not using Rhyhorn even if you liked it because his movepool was shit, just look at Blue Rhydon in his gen 1 champion team.
>>
>>27948854
Also this, gen 3 had a bunch of great ground types and none of them learn earthquake through level up
>>
>>27948381
Good, makes some pokemon that were bad usable in-game.

Before that I would always keep my TMs for post-game.
>>
>>27948381
Good thing. People were afraid to use TMs in the past because you only got one, unless they were for sale, and even then, they were expensive.

Being unbreakable was the best thing to happen to TMs. Why anybody would feel differently, boggles my mind.
>>
>>27948381
both of.
for one side, IT'S FUCKING GREAT TO HAVE UNLIMITED TMS
for other, it started the casualization
in previous gens you had to think if was worth to use the tm or not. Starting in BW, what's the difference? Just use it already.
The true answer would have been give around 5-10 uses per tm.
>>
Bad thing. It removes the personality from individual pokemon. One pokemon gets Earthquake through TM because it is powerful and deserves it, and a few others learn it thanks to their lore. If everything and their mon can have Earthquake at once, what's the point?
>>
What would you do if you realized you taught your tm to the wrong pokemon? Or it's a TM that you're gonna need multiples of?

In Ruby, I was a stupid kid and wasted my Dig tm on a moveslot that would later get replaced. It became impossible for me to complete the Regi's sidequest since I was too impatient to grind a Trapinch to level 40. Luckily I had a friend with a pokemon that new dig I could trade for eventually.
>>
>>27949109

BW balanced it by giving NPC's far better moves like with Ghetsis.
>>
>>27948462
This.
>>
bad thing

gen 3: wattson gives you the new mauville sidequest after you obtain 5 gym badges

gen 6: wattson gives you the new mauville sidequest after you defeat groudon/kyogre

reward for both: TM 24 Thunderbolt

gamefreak is too scared to give good tms out early now
>>
>>27948381
>>27948453
Good. TM hoarding in-game and TM-grinding at the Battle Frontier was tedious work back in Gen 4, and I'm glad to be rid of it.

While we're at this topic, Gen 5's game design in general made going through the story much more streamlined, but not necessarily less difficult (e.g. minimal HM use, healing NPCs mid-route, Audino grinding) and that's what I liked about it.
>>
>>27948838
Talking about for in the future you fucking retard.
>>
>>27949141
Agreed. Gen 5 was just a cesspool of shit.
>>
>>27949141
Not infinite-use tm's problem earthquake is so good and gets whored out to everything. People were working endlessly for BP to buy earthquake tms the previous gen anyway, why not take out that step?
>>
>>27948381
Good, but GF fucked up by giving away so many good TM's early in X and Y
>>
>>27949268
gen 3: grind the game corner for boltbeamthrower
gen 6: fuck you
>>
>having to start the whole game over just to get 1or horde multiple TMs.

Yeah that was sooo much fun...
>>
File: Move_tutor.png (2KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
Move_tutor.png
2KB, 160x144px
Move tutors are a much better mechanic than TMs.

They aren't consumed on use, but also have a cost attached to them, meaning you will never run out but also can't use them with complete disregard.

They also don't disappear when you can't use them, eliminating fears like >>27948462

The only worse aspect is that they can't be used as rewards for exploring dungeons and the like.
>>
>>27948381
>having to buy 2 games every gen so you can farm TMs
>everyone else just cheats

Fuck that shit.
>>
>>27948381

Good, duh.

Only a moron would think unlimited TMs are a bad thing.
>>
>>27949691
>The only worse aspect is that they can't be used as rewards for exploring dungeons and the like.
Would be interesting to have a mechanic where you find recipes or scrolls or something that you find in dungeons and you give to the move tutor and allows for that move to be taught.
>>
>>27949387
This.
The grind was total shit, especially because you're working towards moves and your pokémon could possibly be gimped without them, making that grind so much tougher.
>>
>>27949691
>The only worse aspect is that they can't be used as rewards for exploring dungeons and the like.
What if they send you on sidequests into dungeons, having you bring back key it--

Oh, >>27949770 sort of beat me to it.
>>
>>27949141
Your post is fucking retarded. You could teach it to everyone that learns it even with limited TMs thanks to trading.
>>
>>27949821
Yeah, but it was still hard to do. Most of the time, you had to find somebody who wanted to part with a valuable TM and probably give them something valuable in return.
>>
>>27948453
you're stupid
>>
>>27949821
Not canon.
>>
>>27948381
Theyve made HM moves more inconvenient, you still cant replace HM moves without a move deleter
>>
>>27948381
It's a shitty thing for single player because TMs felt like meaningless choices you had to make during the game. I can understand making them unlimited for the sake of online battling and shit.
>>
>>27951451
meaningful*

what the fuck
>>
it's great if you catch a lot of pokemon every playthrough, or if you like to use shitmons.

and hell, if you really don't like them being unlimited, then you can just use them once per run as a restriction
>>
>>27950416
>can't accept the fact that Gen 5 was awful
>>
>>27952068
>and hell, if you really don't like them being unlimited, then you can just use them once per run as a restriction

This, honestly. They haven't taken away your ability to treat TMs as if they aren't one-use during a playthrough, they just made it more generally convenient in the general scope of things, particularly alleviating the concerns of player who would have otherwise TM hoarded.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.