[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any romhacks that make the game more open-worldish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_ne6cnl66Wt1trwxuqo1_1280.png (531KB, 923x865px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne6cnl66Wt1trwxuqo1_1280.png
531KB, 923x865px
Are there any romhacks that make the game more open-worldish?

With that I mean hacks that encourage exploration, etc. more. I am tired going from town to town and from gym to gym.
>>
bump for also interested
>>
>>27939104
what do you want, really? Even in open-world games, you have towns and goals and questlines.

Do you just want a game without gyms or storyline, so you can run through the routes?
>>
>>27939405
A game where it's not just a straight line from one town to the other. Just one route, or path.
>>
>>27939405
No, op wants a game that isn't on rails and encourages non linear exploration.

Think about the difference between fable and the Witcher, for an analogy. in fable the "world" is just lines between points, you can only move in two directions: forward through the game or backward. every route is bounded by invisible walls. Its not a world, it's a theme park. This is what Pokemon is. This is not what Pokemon has to be.
>>
>>27939104
bumping for interest
>>
>>27939104
bunp
>>
File: 1459557282845.png (94KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1459557282845.png
94KB, 600x600px
>>27939104
>Jhoto
>>
File: worldmap[1].png (970KB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
worldmap[1].png
970KB, 2560x2048px
>>27939455
>>27939428
so you want something like this?

>>27939117
>>27939304
>>27939631
>>27939707
and you can fuck off, his isn't /v/, threads don't die so quickly. But I can tell you right now that no such game exists, yet.
>>
>>27939428
>>27939455
You would need to either: remove levels or apply level scaling to wild pokemon. Doing either is a lot of extra work.
>>
That map is a really cool idea but there are so many odd choices and minor errors, it's a shame. But it's really well made all the same!
>>
>>27939757
>remove levels
breaks the game on a fundamental level, inadvisable to the extreme. Just look at Sticker Star.

>apply scaling to wild Pokemon
is this even possible? I mean, anything is possible, but I've never seen the tech for it.
>>
>>27939104
At one point I worked on removing the roadblocks in FR Kanto to allow you to take on gyms in any order, but level scaling is a big issue.

At most I'd say the best alternative is a region where you can tackle sets of two or three gyms in any order.
>>
>>27939847
>no roadblocks
>wild levels scale like normal
>gym leader levels scale depending on your highest level pokemon

Could be fun.
>>
>>27939839
>is this even possible?

It would be incredibly easy. It would actually be easier to implement than the current system, because you don't need to worry about balancing routes or the exp curve.
>>
>>27939104

Even if you did include all the regions, your STILL doing the same shit

You want a change, Sun and Moon is doing it with the new format
>>
>>27940066
I mean from a technical standpoint, not a design one. Where in the code is the "modulate levels" routine? You'd have to create it from scratch. The routes are set up with pre-determined pokemon with pre-determined levels, you'd have to be able to change that to scale off of badges or something.

And that's something I've never seen a romhack do. It might mean creating 8 different sets of route data, so you'd need a place to store all that as well.
>>
>>27940106
you literally dont know what you're talking about. it would be very simple to do. wild pokemons level could just be your average pokemons level +/- X figure
>>
>>27940140
>keepimg 2 lvl 1 pokemons with you to keep a lower average
>>
>>27940259
But than you lose two pokemon spots on your team. So it's really up to the player what they value most.
>>
>>27940140
I'm starting to think you're the one without any romhacking experience. It's one thing to know conceptually what you want to do, it's another to know how to implement it.
>>
>>27940259
What if it scales based on all the exp you collected with all your pokemon, that way if you built a well rounded and trained team in the end game you will find single wild pokemons wich are overlevelled and use actual skill and teamplay to defeat them
>>
>>27940321
He clearly wasn't talking about romhacking, he was talkin from a general point
>>
File: kanto[1].jpg (131KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
kanto[1].jpg
131KB, 800x598px
>>27940375
then that's pointless. Let's talk about practical things.

I think the best way to do an "open-world" pokemon game would be to it with an acre system, like Animal Crossing or the old Zeldas. Each "route" is a square, that tile together to make the game world. Basically, the entire game would feel like navigating the Safari Zone. You could still include roadblocks in the form of rivers that require Surf, one-way hills, and breakable rocks blocking mountain passes if you want. Then you could still use caves as the more linear, obstacle-course routes.

Level scaling doesn't have to be a factor, just let each acre have its own leveled Pokemon like a normal route, with the levels increasing the further you get towards the edges of the overall game world. If you wander too far when you're not ready, you'll get fucked up, and that's your own problem. So there would still be a sense of early, mid, and late-game areas, which I think is important.
>>
>>27940507
Then just play focken pixelmon
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.