[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/VP/'s Most Hated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: EmboarHilda.jpg (45KB, 599x588px) Image search: [Google]
EmboarHilda.jpg
45KB, 599x588px
So I've noticed there are a few Pokemon designs that everyone here seems to shit on. Emboar and Rhyperior come to mind, both of which I actually quite like, so I thought this'd be a good chance to try see things from your point of view. So let's talk about Pokemon /vp/ generally doesn't like, why the majority don't like it, and how they could be improved. Or we could just make it more general and discuss Pokemon we don't like and why we don't like them if that gives us more to talk about.
>>
>>27900475
>Emboar is one of the best designs in Gen 5 though
>>
>>27900475
Emboar is 1.6m tall.
Let that sink in.
>>
File: 1471148463003.gif (299KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1471148463003.gif
299KB, 493x342px
Emboar is my EmBRO
>>
I think Emboar just came out at the wrong time. He followed Blaziken and Infernape as the /third/ Fire/Fighting starter. Fatigue had set in, and that works against him. He's also just mediocre. The Fire/Fighting starters before him are simply better in every way. If Emboar had come out in Gen 2 or 3, the reception would be a bit better.

Physically, I think designing him as a massive flaming boar is just something that will never resonate with me.

Rhyperior drops the design philosophy behind Rhyhorn and Rhydon almost completely. It has a lot of unnecessary additions, too. Rhydon was a fantastic design, and they should have left it alone if they couldn't come up with a better one.
>>
>>27900538
I think Gen 5 is full of some great designs, and I think the starters are pretty solid overall. I'm kind of at a loss as to why everyone here seems to hate them so much.

>>27900554
A lot of Pokemon are smaller than you'd expect. I guess we're all used to assuming monsters are bigger than people, when most Pokemon are roughly the size of the animal they're based on (Bug-types tend to be a distinct exception, Joltik not withstanding). Or maybe Hilda in this picture is just over a metre tall, who knows?
>>
>>27900475
>third fire/fighting in a row
>competitively worst of the bunch
>>
File: does this look bipedal to you.gif (2MB, 400x187px) Image search: [Google]
does this look bipedal to you.gif
2MB, 400x187px
>>27900649
There is no saving Samurott.
>>
File: Gen1-5.jpg (4MB, 1983x2728px) Image search: [Google]
Gen1-5.jpg
4MB, 1983x2728px
>>27900638
I understand exhausting the Fire/Fighting starter theme, but I thought since we're now coming up to Gen7 that it could be looked upon with a little less bias. I rarely hear any arguments about its competitive viability though (not that I expected a slow but bulky Fire type to be particularly useful), so that's interesting to note.

Taste is taste, I can't judge you for that.

Rhyperior was a questionable design choice that I understood disliking more than with Emboar. I always thought Rhydon was a little nothing though, like a lot of Gen 1 designs really, and Rhyperior gave it a little more character and helped it stand out as something other than "bipedal rhino". I don't quite know why they decided to make it orange though.
>>
File: emboar.png (592KB, 899x899px) Image search: [Google]
emboar.png
592KB, 899x899px
>>27900475
The thing I hate most about emboar is that it's head is strange-looking, if you take out the fire necklace it doesn't have a neck. I also really hate the fact it stands up.
>>
>>27900837
Samurott saved the line
>>
>>27900994
Wouldn't say saved but it definitely dampened the fall.
>>
>>27900612
This

Emboar and Rhyperior are supposed to look beastly. Just because cutefags are vocal about how monstrous menacing designs dont fit their taste doesnt mean nobody else like them
>>
>>27900994
No.... Not really.
Everyone else has a workable design, they may be disappointing in a few spots but they aren't all bad. Samurott is just awful.
>>
File: Samurott.600.1091092.jpg (34KB, 600x346px) Image search: [Google]
Samurott.600.1091092.jpg
34KB, 600x346px
>>27900837
He's alright.
>>
for me its just the way the animators draw him (and most pokemon). Theres always good fanart for any pokemon, which just shows how good the designs could be in a different style
>>
>>27901118
>Rhyperior
>monstruous menacing
But it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Emboar is pretty cool though.
>>
>>27901171
No they aren't, anytime I see a bipedal Samurott I can't help but think it looks extremely uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1470517877405.png (426KB, 715x738px) Image search: [Google]
1470517877405.png
426KB, 715x738px
>>
>>27901227
>7'10"
>wrecking ball tail
>legitimately bulky
>pile driver/cannon arms
>made of rock
>not monstrous and/or menacing
>>
File: Vordt.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Vordt.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
OP here again.

>>27900837
I think Samurott is the weakest of the three, but it's only a few small gripes I have with it. It's not the first starter to undergo such a drastic change in its evolution, and hell, I like the idea of a unicorn otter. I always imagined it could freely change between bipedal and quadrupedal stances, preferring the latter for comfort, but using the former for combat with its sword. Even if its permanently on four legs, that doesn't mean its sword fighting has to look ridiculous, pic related.

>>27901118
I don't know. As a raging cutefag I still appreciate both of them, and it doesn't seem like that type that hates it (well, they do, but not the majority of the vocal haters).
>>
>>27901323
it also has orange bricks in the shape of a warning vest and earmuffs.
Fucking earmuffs.
>>
>>27900475
I never had much issue with Rhyperior, though I was also rather indifferent to the original. That said, I have seen the possiblity for improvement there, mainly by getting rid of the fat stomach so he's still rather lean and mean, and toning down the color of the protector plates so they're a brown or tan rather than bright orange. Having the ears or some sort of crest like the earlier stages back would help as well.

Emboar I dislike more for being a third fire fighting starter in a row, though also that he really isn't that interesting. He has a pig nose, but other than his face feels flat. He had that whole 'chinese' thing going for his design, though apart from some weird swirls on his gut it just feels bland. It's like they were trying to give off a sense of power and weight, but the gut takes up so much of the body, and the legs are so stubby. The mishmash of colors all over the design don't help things, and the flaming beard just helps frame how boring the face looks.

I'm sure you could make a fire-fighting boar starter that was well designed, but Emboar wasn't it.
>>
>>27901497
I liked Rhyperior more when I realized the orange plates are supposed to make him look like a brick wall. I think making them redder is the solution, not more sand colored.
>>
>>27900554
>Emboar is 1.6m tall.

design ruined
>>
>>27900838
>not that I expected a slow but bulky Fire type to be particularly useful
He's not even Bulky, his defenses are absolute shit.
>>
I like Emboar, and I have liked it since the start. It's a bit overdone but it's not as bad as you people make it look.

And if anyone thought it had been the worst fire starter, then that stupid fox happened.
>>
>>27901462
Construction earmuffs. You know. Maybe to go with the entire fucking theme??
>>
>>27902215
Emboar has a great movepool though, can't really complain about that
>>
>>27902522
It still looks retarded. Hide behind "muh theme" all you want but a rhino with earmuffs will never be a good idea.
>>
Emboar looks fine. Not a favorite of mine, but nothing about it offends me. The only starter I strongly dislike is Empoleon. Fucking hideous and such a waste of a great type combination. I know a lot of people love it though.
>>
>>27900994
Samurot looks like shit.
WORST WATER STARTER EVER.
>>
>>27900475
>trying to pass on the title of most hated onto Emboar.
There's no universe where the most hated isn't Samurott
>>
I quite like Meganium's design, but it's absolutely useless in battle. No moves, terrible stats, pure Grass is poor typing, if you want a serviceable Grass type you can get Bellsprout very early in the game. In that sense it's a waste.
>>
File: 250px-489Phione.png (40KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-489Phione.png
40KB, 250x250px
A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Was there a point to this, other than padding the Gen 4 dex count?
>>
>>27900475
honestly, as starters go, I'd oddly say my least favorite design is probably the Cyndaquill line.

I mean I like it, I played mine, but part of how I rate things is my ability to figure out just what the heck it's supposed to be and how many themes I feel it manages to blend together decently.

Forgive me, but this means I actually like Greninja and Delphox a lot in terms of design. They manage to convey their element (water and fire), their animals (frogs and foxes), and themes (ninja and mages) very seamlessly.

Emboar's pretty good though I'm still guessing what his theme is, he's clearly a pig and clearly fire, but I keep thinking of pottery a bit when I look at him because... Well... Pot-bellied pig.
>>
>>27903024

THIS THIS THSI
>>
File: bait.png (148KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
148KB, 2500x1645px
>>27903185
>>
>>27902215
>that stupid fox happened
You people wanted a Fox wizard and you got a fox wizard. What's the problem?

I mean, yeah, it's furry fodder and the ears are dumb. But it's got good typing and it's exactly what it's supposed to be. I feel the same way about Chesnaught.

It's like shitting on Pikachu for being an electric mouse. Maybe it could have been executed better but it's not an abortion like Emboar or Samurott.
>>
>>27900475
Why'd you have to go and remind me of that zero-sen doujin, I already fapped 3 times already....
>>
File: chespin.png (696KB, 1085x913px) Image search: [Google]
chespin.png
696KB, 1085x913px
>>27903221
Speaking of Chesnaught, am I the only one who sees it as Chespin piloting an mech suit?
>>
>>27903158
Cuteness. It's one of the cutest Pokemon ever, maybe should have even been used as Manaphy's design instead.
>>
>>27901118
The problem with them (for me, at least) is mostly colors. On Emboar, why have the yellow markings on that center band? I understand it's a championship belt of sorts, but there's no reason for something to naturally gain that. If the "belt" was something like a thick leather-y waist, I could be more behind it, it'd make more sense. Also, yellow and red rings around the biceps and forearms. not big on it.

For Rhyperior, it's almost just the color. The orange is weird coming off a line that's been mostly just gray, I really feel like a darker shade of gray would have been much better. And maybe a bit too much bulk, there's that edit some anon did that's trimmed him down a bit and messed with the colors that I think look perfect for it.

>>27901118
I like cute and monster-ish designs, but I like my big beastly guys to look big and beastly, not have the obnoxious color patterns of a fisher-price toy. Nidoking is sweet despite being a bright purple, because he's most just that color with some highlights of other complimenting colors, not having large swaths of highly contrasting colors on random pieces of his body.
>>
He's my favorite of the 3 fire/fighting starters. I know that's a minority opinion. He's also the only interesting starter in Gen. 5 for me.
I can definitely see why people don't like it though. He's the Hyriyama of fire pokes.
>>
>>27900930
also fire fighting
>>
>>27903286
thats pretty funny
>>
Keldeo was a mistake.
>>
My only two Pokemon that I can't stand to look at are Rhyperior and Druddigon. Drudiggon looks like someone took a child's scribbly crayon drawing of a dragon and made it into a Pokemon. The color scheme is weird and ugly, the limbs are weirdly proportioned (it has the arms of a creature twice its size) its wings look like weird growths under the skin rather than appendages, and the way its head is colored and shaped it looks glued on, plus there's no detail (I.e. why are its teeth just part of its head and covered in skin)

I hate Rhyperior for a similar reason. Firstly, it's a Pokemon that, at the time, was totally unnecessary and power creep as fuck. But it was ugly as fuck too. Everyone points out the orange brick scales and while that's a part of it, I think even if they were colored like cinder blocks or sandstone it would still be ugly. For one thing it's fucking fat. Like, when you consider how Rhydon looked, by comparison Rhydon ate a lot of McDonald's.

The other thing is although the bricks are ugly, even the non-brick parts look stupid. The arms with the 2-foot elbows, the drill that points forward like a stupid Pinocchio nose and not a strong drill horn. Then you put a horn where the drill SHOULD be, but it's a totally fucking irrelevant horn.

These just looked like shit to me.
>>
>>27900475
That Emboar looks pretty faithful.
>>
File: tepig_17.png (212KB, 1116x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tepig_17.png
212KB, 1116x1600px
>>27903675
The height of the Emboar is still off in that doujin.

Either that or that particular Emboar is much bigger than normal.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.