[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon RSE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 8

File: emerald.jpg (31KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
emerald.jpg
31KB, 480x320px
What'd you think of gen 3?
>>
gave us natures and abilities, which is nice

downgrade in sprites and music and didn't contribute to the desperately needed physical special split, nor did it add nearly as many things as gen 2
>>
Raping the league with masterball caught Rayquaza is cool.
>>
>>27872522
>gave us natures and abilities, which is nice
>downgrade in sprites and music and didn't contribute to the desperately needed physical special split, nor did it add nearly as many things as gen 2

yeah this, except i didn't like natures and also shitty postgame until fr/lg and emerald
>>
best pokemon games ever made.
>>
>>27872132
It was the beginning of each pokemon game becoming a shitty rehash with any improvements in previous gens taken out.

>multiple regions, gone
>day night cycle, gone
>all old pokemon available along with the new, gone
>moving sprites from crystal, gone

I'm sure there's heaps more but it's been ages since I played gen 2 or 3.
>>
>>27872132
its good
>>
Hoenn is terrible and so are all the shitmons in it
>>
>>27872132
my favourite gen.
>>
>>27872132
It gave us all new 'mon (until Emerald), natures, abilities, new (more) berries, interesting (if annoying) bike-mechanics, the difficulty curve was slightly higher than previous games and the music was memetastic (but not the best of the GBA's time)

I replayed Ruby a lot. Solid game with some shit missing; like the Day/Night cycle and having zero post-game
>>
R/S suck, not as much as D/P but about as much as R/B

emerald is still to this day one of the best pokemon games
>>
>>27872736
>>moving sprites from crystal, gone
Emerald does. Not sure about RS/FRLG.
>>
File: 1470440383168.jpg (25KB, 375x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470440383168.jpg
25KB, 375x750px
>>27872132
Emerald is the best Pokemon game of all time, If you beat Elite Four without being a pussy bitch and don't use Rayquaza.
>>
>>27872860
Waggling, stretching and skewing a sprite isn't "animation".
>>
>>27872132
Gave us good additions (natures, abilities) and improved movepools from godawful to somewhat usable. Still, Hoenn has pretty shitty Pokedex and FRLG 'postgame' bored a lot of people.

RSE are probably my least favourite main games, however gen 3 as a whole is pretty good thanks to its plethora of good spin-offs and Red/Green remakes.

>>27872844
>R/S suck
>Emerald the best
I fucking hate this opinion.
>>
It's the best gen
>>
>>27872954
I thought you couldn't get rayquayquay in emerald until after the E4
>>
>>27873040
why? it's completely valid

it's almost like platinum being LEAGUES ahead of D/P, except R/S arn't as bad as D/P
>>
File: trumpet.jpg (64KB, 480x193px) Image search: [Google]
trumpet.jpg
64KB, 480x193px
>>27872132
The best.
Just the best.
>>
>>27873055
You can catch a lvl 70 Rayquaza before fighting the league in Emerald. It should have been level 50 or something because its op as shit.
>>
Gen 3 is far and away the worst generation of Pokémon ever created. It's shit.
>>
>>27873155
oh wait it was R/S that was after the E4

not sure why they changed it
>>
Cutest first gym leader, worst elite 4/champion(s) and you can't even catch them all. Shitty gen unless emulated to hack in the content.
>>
>>27873181
elaborate
>>
>>27873181
that's not 6
>>
best looking overworld in the game. some of the routes are beautiful and towns and cities comfy as fuck.

saphire is probably my most played game of all time. used to start a new one every summer when i was a kid
>>
>>27873207
>and you can't even catch them all
So just like any ther Pokemon game then.
>>
>>27873207
>worst E4/champion
>drake
>phobe
>steven

you what
>>
>>27873207
Emerald has the best romhacks of any Pokémon game too.
>>
>>27873325
Not counting dumb legendaries you can catch everything by trading between r/b and g/s. 3rd gen started the trend of arbitrarily removing pokes from games.
>>
I miss Gen 3 and want to replay emerald after the shitfest that was ORAS.
>>
>>27873416
>implying

what is celebi
>>
>>27872988
It's literally more than the seizures of Crystal
>>
>>27873416
You can't catch everything with RSE and FRLG?
>>
>>27873448
A dumb legendary?
>>
>>27873105
Because you are still stuck with the same region and the same Pokedex in Emerald (with some minor changes, I guess, but I don't really give a damn about postgame Pokemon).
>>
>>27873480
You can, he's just shitposting.
>>
>>27873528
considering the region and designs in R/S are fantastic, it just needed more content to push it up, which is what emerald did

>I don't really give a damn about postgame
no point arguing then if you can't see the genius that was the battle frontier
>>
>>27873480
>pre gen 3
Just trade with a single friend who has the opposite game as you. Simple
>post gen 3
Buy 4 games, make every event, bring your e-reader cards, see the movie and own coliseum.
>>
In 1998 I used to dream about what Pokemon would like with Super Nintendo level graphics. Imagine Pokemon that looked like FFVI or Chrono Trigger. I built it up too much in my mind and was disappointed.
>>
>>27873624
You couldn't catch them all in gen 2 alone, you needed gen 1 games too and the event bullshit existed since gen 1.
>>
>>27873624
>Buy 4 games, make every event, bring your e-reader cards, see the movie and own coliseum.

this is almost similar to G/S, except no e-reader and toy's r us instead of movie
>>
>>27873624
You literally only need the main games to finish the dex you idiot. Colosseum was never needed nor were the ereader cards.
That's like saying gen 2 was uncompleteable because you couldn't use the mobile adapter in the west.
>>
>>27873615
>considering the region and designs in R/S are fantastic
Apparently not good enough for the game to not 'suck' according to that guy >>27872844

Also, imagine that some people don't really find battle facilities interesting. I know a lot of people who don't.
>>
>>27872988
>>27873474
doesn't matter because R/S had static sprites
>>
>>27872132
Worst generation, to me
>>
>>27873909
And so did GS what's your point.
>>
>>27872132
It's okay. The region was awful.
My gen rankings: 5>2=4>1=3>6
>>
>>27873993
because that guy said "It was the beginning of each pokemon game becoming a shitty rehash with any improvements in previous gens taken out" with animations being one of them
>>
>>27874086
>the region was awful
>5 best gen
You don't make any sense.
>>
>>27873631
I remember first playing the demo of Ruby/Sapphire at Walmart and I couldn't believe how much better it looked that Gen 2, the only game systems I have ever owned at that point was a GBC and a GBA though.
>>
File: 1450844856300.jpg (42KB, 568x311px) Image search: [Google]
1450844856300.jpg
42KB, 568x311px
>>27874086
>best gen
>5
your opinion belongs in the garbage can
>>
I really like it, but it was my first gen so I'm probably a bit blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>27874086
>the region was awful
>unova at the top, sinnoh second best

the only thing awful here is your taste
>>
>>27874102
RS has the excuse that it was a complete rehaul.
GS doesn't.

Also the beginning of the end was gen 2 seeing admit was just Kanto 2.0 in terms of region design and pokemon distribution not to mention it removed a hell of a lot of Kanto landmarks and the safari zone.
>>
My family relocated after my mother got laid off and I was very poor at the time. I got a hand me down GBA from a cousin that got a SP when Fire Red came out. He gave me Sapphire after trading his Pokemon over. It was the only good thing about that time.
>>
>>27874297
It removed that stuff in Kanto because there literally wasn't anymore cartridge space. It took Iwata's god programming to have enough room for the slimmed down Kanto.
>>
>>27874407
Could have just used a bigger cartridge.
>>
>>27872954
Come on, destroying them with newly caught Rayquaza (who's completely indiferent towards you) and then being congratulated on your strong bonds with your mons was the best part o it.
>>
>>27874297
>RS has the excuse that it was a complete rehaul.
>GS doesn't.
Excuse for what? GS didn't remove any features that were in RB
>>
>>27874457
Nintendo doesn't have a history of charging higher prices for portable games. They had no quarrels with charging $80 for big SNES and N64 carts but I can't remember them doing that for GB.
>>
>>27874407
Then they should have improved johto instead of adding a poorly made Kanto.
>>
>>27874407
Johto was butchered and cut down just so that postgame Kanto could exist too.
>>
>>27872132
Congratulations, it's shit
>>
>>27874526
Read the post nigger.
>>
>>27872736
>DN cycle gone
What is Shoal Cave
>>
>>27874794
People think that just because it's not there graphically that it's not there at all.
>>
>>27872522
>downgrade in music
>>
>>27874618
someone already replied to that part so i didn't bother with it

regardless saying "GS did it too" and "it's an overhaul" isn't a good excuse either

>>27874794
the fact that it has an internal clock and no day and night makes it even more retarded
>>
>>27872522
the sound was downgraded because the gba has shit sound hardware
>>
>>27874991
>someone already replied to that part so i didn't bother with it
So you decided to post an obviously false statement.

Are you retarded or something?

>regardless saying "GS did it too" and "it's an overhaul" isn't a good excuse either
Except being a complete overhaul IS an excuse, unlike GSC which was made using RBY as a base RS made everything from complete scratch.
New engine.
New overworld assets.
New mechanics.
New everything.

Oh and if it makes you feel better everything in GSC that wasn't a gimmick was still in RSE.
>>
>>27875029
>snes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syeudRZuuMo

>gba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTzBvezDHo

Gen 3 had worse music because the GBA had really bad sound.
>>
>>27875138
Looking at that makes it all the more amazing that Gen 3 had such great music.
It really shows that effort goes a long way.
>>
>>27875138
This makes me imagine how great Gen 3s music would sound on the SNES.
>>
>overall best new monsters
>best region
>loads new mechanics
>best contest mini game to date
>doesn't have day/night cycle and physical split
That's two flaws in total. Emerald is still best pokemon game.
>>
File: 1459911354979.jpg (73KB, 492x497px) Image search: [Google]
1459911354979.jpg
73KB, 492x497px
>>27875384
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pv4h_GQAxw
>>
>>27875121
>So you decided to post an obviously false statement.
>Are you retarded or something?
i was referring to gameplay features, i wasn't considering the removed locations from kanto. you're right about that. kanto was pretty subpar but at least there was a postgame which is more than i can say for RS

>Except being a complete overhaul IS an excuse, unlike GSC which was made using RBY as a base RS made everything from complete scratch.
first of all, gsc was mostly programmed from scratch. gen 1 was a fucking mess. second it's still not an excuse because none of the features in gen 3 were required to be removed due to the new engine, and some of them were even added back in the same generation (animated sprites and a postgame in emerald)

>Oh and if it makes you feel better everything in GSC that wasn't a gimmick was still in RSE.
i don't think so
>>
>>27875581
Did this guy take the all trumpet arrangement too seriously or something?
>>
File: 1466098807889.png (42KB, 208x212px) Image search: [Google]
1466098807889.png
42KB, 208x212px
>>27875581
That is not okay.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>27875639
yes
>>
HITS
Regular Abilities
Overworld Abilities
Effort Values
Stat Berries
Contests
Secret Bases
Fantastic Starters
Fantastic Bike Path
Almost every poke fit thematically and plenty are still iconic.
Viable Items that aren't Leftovers
Infinite EQ and Ice Beam TMs
Bros you can keep forever
BATTLE FRONTIER!!
The Magma/Aqua Leader tunes

MISSES
Every other track
Natures
Poffin Shit
Too Linear Campaign
Bike Swapping.
Tall Grass and Water everywhere.
Catching Feebas
Too few quality fire types
Gave us pokewaifu faggotry.
>>
>>27875623
>gsc was mostly programmed from scratch
Ignoring the fact that the majority of assets including player, NPC and buildings were lifted from RBY. Oddly enough the buildings were downgraded from the RBY look for some reason.

Also no, they used gen 1 as a base instead of programming the mechanics from scratch.

>second it's still not an excuse because none of the features in gen 3 were required to be removed due to the new engine
You do realise that the work put into GSC was paltry in comparison to RS right?
They created everything from scratch outside of pokemon designs in addition to new features as well as the returning Safari Zone among other things.
I don't think you put enough thought into this before you posted.

>i don't think so
So I'm guessing you're in denial then because everything that wasn't a gimmick was in RSE.
>>
>>27875745
>Gave us pokewaifu faggotry.
Nigger that's been there since gen 1.
>>
>>27875745
>Infinite EQ and Ice Beam TMs
What??
>>
>>27875952
He means you can obtain them multiple times.
>>
>>27872132

It's oh ok.
>>
>>27872668

Then why do Game Freak continue to make new Pokémon games then?

There is no best Pokémon game.
>>
>>27876122
>implying they would discard a cash cow after making the best games
Did Square stop after making Final Fantasy 5?
Did Nintendo stop after making Super Mario World?
Did Sony stop after making Uncharted whatever was the good one?
>>
+ Massive overhaul to the rechallenge system from Gen 2, didn't need to listen to someone wax about a Zigzagoon if that's all they were going to call for 90% of the time. Vastly improved again with FRLG's VS Seeker.
+ TV alerts were a nice touch.
+ Introduced the idea of double battles.
+ First generation to solidify easy access to the Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt tripartite.
+ Players are given semi-semblance of control over Berries, selection greatly expanded from simple status-healing to include even PP restoration.
+ You no longer have to lick someone's balls for Balls.

+/- Introduced Incenses for breeding instead of "the unique energies of this region" bullshit and then just replicating it with a "regionstone" in future installments.

- The beginnings of future legendary/mythical spam.
- No thematic day-night, but since we're looking at a doubled graphic resource size, that's understandable.
- Evo stone issue only partially fixed with shards, which were just as painful as gift calls. But at least they left some in the overworld this time.
- For reasons I'll never figure out, Flash doesn't just light up your whole screen.
- Missed yet another chance to fix Nido line breeding, and this was when they introduced Volbeat/Illumise, too.
>>
>>27874297
Nobody was even talking about GS. He just said animations were removed in Ruby and Sapphire from the previous game (Crystal), which is true.
>>
I'm late on the thread. But in every generation discussion stay really clear that /vp/ don't like Gen III as Gen VII to.
>>
>>27876285
Yeah and GS could have animated sprites, but it didn't.
>>
>>27875882
i'll give you that gen 2 definitely has more reused assets. i wasn't trying to argue otherwise. i do think a large part of the code was reprogrammed though, aside from the ev/iv system which was necessary for being able to trade between gen 1 and 2

>You do realise that the work put into GSC was paltry in comparison to RS right?
i wouldn't say "more work" necessarily, but they couldn't reuse as many assets since it was on a new system, yes, that is true.

>So I'm guessing you're in denial then because everything that wasn't a gimmick was in RSE.
whatever u say nigga
>>
File: 900px-274Nuzleaf.png (406KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-274Nuzleaf.png
406KB, 900x900px
As a gen, I like gen 3 on a technical level and the introduction of abilities and natures was a huge leap in diversifying pokemon which is nice. Also, it added a bunch of bros like Sceptile, Kecleon, Cradily, Cacturne, Walrein, pic related, and a whole bunch more.

It's also bittersweet for me since it's the last gen I had any friends to play with. I had a few buddies in 4th grade and we would have link cable tournaments on the weekends and talk about it all day at school. I remember us borrowing the braille dictionary from the library to try and decode the braille to unlock the regis and stuff like that, it was fun. But we got picked on by a lot of other kids for playing pokemon so we would talk about it less and less at school and gradually stopped getting together to play. I'm still pretty close with one of my friends from back then but we haven't played a pokemon game together in probably 15 years and it's kind of sad.

So now whenever I play a game in Hoenn it reminds me of those good times but also feels kinda lonely.

Sorry about the blogpost :)
>>
>>27876310
What does that have to do with anything? RBY could have had animated sprites. Fucking Dragon Quest I could have had animated sprites. We're just spouting non-sequiturs at this point.
>>
>>27876335
>aside from the ev/iv system which was necessary for being able to trade between gen 1 and 2
Actually they could have fixed that in GSC seeing as the compatibility problem had nothing to do with the IVs and EVs as much as it was the hardware between the GB/C and GBA.
I mean look at how simple RBY VC to SM is going to be.

>i wouldn't say "more work" necessarily
Any how you look at it it was more work.

>whatever u say nigga
So what didn't make the cut and wasn't a gimmick then anon?
>>
>>27876399
>RBY could have had animated sprites
Except it couldn't.
>>
>>27876241
>The beginnings of future legendary/mythical spam.

Gen 4 started that.
>>
>>27876421
>I mean look at how simple RBY VC to SM is going to be.
that's a good point, i never thought of that

>Any how you look at it it was more work.
that's really impossible to say since neither of us work at game freak

>So what didn't make the cut and wasn't a gimmick then anon?
i don't care enough to argue about this since i'm not a big fan of gen 2 or 3 so i'll just say you win
>>
>>27875952
You could buy more Ice Beams ez, and Were Earthquakes were obtainable just by having a bunch level 100 Zigzagoons filling out where your party whenever EV grinding. While this wasn't as optimal as the Gen 5 system it was still a marked improvement over the previous gens' options.
>>
>>27876455
Okay, even if that was true, I'm still not sure what that has to do with anything.
>>
>>27876469
>that's really impossible to say since neither of us work at game freak
You don't have to work at GF, you just have to look at the changes between the games.
>>
>>27876361
Aww, I like your blog posts.
>>
>>27876465

Gen 3 started it. Gen 4 perfected it.
>>
>>27876669
>Gen 4 perfected it.
You mean ruined it by jumping the shark.
>>
>>27876610
thx anon
>>
>>27872132
Oh yeah, it was that game where I beat the Pokemon League unlike a certain Ash Ketchum.
>>
>>27876241
>easy access to thunderbolt ice beam and flamethrower.

Wat
>>
>>27877619
>It single handedly killed Pokemania.
Pokemania died mid gen 2 anon.

>Gen 3 is to Gen 4 as Gen 1 is to Gen 2.
That doesn't even make sense. 4 was a downgrade in every way except for the split.
>>
>>27872132
Loved it. Especially the upgrades in Emerald, with loads more double battles and little additions (desert ruins, etc).

I remember being excited about getting Dark and Psychic types on early routes.
>>
>>27873993
I'm pretty sure the point was that Emerald having animated sprites doesn't matter since they were still missing for most of the third gen
>>
>>27877669
[citation needed] for both of those
>>
>>27872132
I appreciate the new mechanics but honestly, Hoenn was my least favorite region
>>
>>27872132
I like the originals.
>>
>>27877636

You can buy coins from the Mauville Game Corner and swap them at the counter right next to the coin seller.

Compare to GS when you only had the punches and in C when the tutor turns up once every Wednesday, and in RGBY when those were one-off TMs.
>>
>>27872522
>downgrade in sprites
I'm sorry, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>27872132
One of my favorites and my first.
>tfw spending hundreds of hours in Leafgreen and Emerald
>>
>>27873235
He can't.
>>
>>27878293
If he's talking about the battle sprites then I fully agree. Gen 2 sprites had dynamic poses with a lot of character and Gen 3 lacked that, with a lot of Pokemon just sitting in an idle pose.
>>
>2 bikes
>Secret bases
>Double battles
>A double battle gym
>You have a dad and get to battle him
>A ton of great legendaries
>All 3 starters are great and have great final evolutions
>Plenty of good new pokemon
>That Petalburg music
>The Trick House

Only thing bad was that fucking gay ass beta fag wally and his shitty ralts
>>
>>27878596
They fixed him in ORAS.
>>
>>27877793
>[citation needed] for both of those
Okay

The anime was a mess of unfinished plot lines and filler in generation 2, lacking that action that made it so popular in the first place and needless to say it carried most of the popularity in the west. The games themselves were none too impressive either since the big changes were under the hood so to speak so at a glance it looked the same as gen 1 and it didn't help that no one used generation 2 Pokemon. Then there's the fact that it butchered Kanto.
Needless to say the combination of these things killed the Pokemania.

As for gen 4
>downgraded overworld sprites
>30 fps all around despite being on a more powerful system
>tedious gimmicks like the honey trees
>contests and BF casualised and had features and mechanics removed
>heavy and unnecessary changes to Secret bases including the removal of saving your friend's bases and battling NPCs using their team
>worst safari zone iterations due to the swamp mechanics and HG/SS' customization being tied to whatever pokemon show up and the pokemon changing over a extraordinarily long amount of time
>>
>>27877793
Not him but there's a reason why Crystal sold post mania numbers instead of closer to Yellow numbers.

Pokemania was over by then.
>>
>>27872522
>natures
Fuck that shit.
>>
>>27879243
>thinking natures are bad
Retard alert
>>
>>27872132
great gen
oras was a trashcan
>>
>>27878929
>The games themselves were none too impressive either since the big changes were under the hood so to speak so at a glance it looked the same as gen 1
Were you around back then? The Gen 2 games were pretty popular at the time. No one really cared how similar to Gen 1 it looked (being in color probably helped with that) or the fact that Kanto was butchered. In retrospect it's easy to see that it was (especially with all the content they added back in the remakes) but it was awesome at the time that there was even another region and a whole new post-game quest. "Needless to say" my ass.

You're right about the anime though, it was shit, though I still don't see any evidence that it killed Pokemania.

The only points I agree with you about Gen 4 were the secret bases and how slow the games were (at least that was fixed somewhat after D/P). I can't comment on Battle Frontier since I never played it in either game, and don't give a shit about the Safari Zone. Don't know what you're talking about with the downgraded overworld sprites since they both look like shit to me
>>
Emerald will always be my favorite game of them all.
>>
>>27879017
See, this is some good evidence.
>>
>>27874086
Quite accurate
Good taste familia
>>
>>27879335
>Were you around back then?
Yes.
And Gold and Silver were riding on the backs of Generation 1 and the popularity they had. With that said they dropped slightly because of the delays of the game.

>No one really cared how similar to Gen 1 it looked
Except for the majority of people who were old enough not to eat the shit given to them. In other words most people who initially picked up the game.

> but it was awesome at the time that there was even another region
See above. Also being a lazy and tacked on region instead of something new certainly killed the appeal for most people that expected to see certain areas that were removed. Kind of like when gen 4's BF was revealed and it was so much different from gen 3's. It's basically a mockery to fans.

>though I still don't see any evidence that it killed Pokemania.
Except for the sales and ratings dropped drastically at that point.

>(at least that was fixed somewhat after D/P).
Eh, barely. The battle speed was increased but it was only really noticeable if you paid extremely close attention to it. Then there's the fact that in Plat and HG/SS certain cities even dropped frames to sub 30 and "saving a lot of data" took considerably longer in Plat than in DP.

>I can't comment on Battle Frontier since I never played it in either game
To give you the TL;DR on it, the gen 4 facility removed 5 from the previous game and replaced them with 3 completely different facilities that didn't offer nearly as much variety as the previous one as a whole it was much easier to finish.

>Don't know what you're talking about with the downgraded overworld sprites since they both look like shit to me
For one because of the pseudo 3D going on everything had this odd warping effect to the point where NPCs would appear to squish. It carried over to Black and White but was a little less noticeable because of how they were designed.
>>
>>27875138
How is it that the GBA was so bad at this? The music on the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color was great for its generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT-1L_WxYus
>>
>>27879876
It wasn't for GBA original games for ports now they made it worse.
>>
>>27879972
But then why was RSE's music so garbage? Was it just instrument choice or something?
>>
>>27879876
Nintendo was so intent on cutting costs that the GBA had garbage audio hardware.
The GBA actually has a GBC soundchip onboard so that you could play the earlier games.
>>
>>27880196
>But then why was RSE's music so garbage?
Were you playing on a busted GBA or something?
>>
>>27880196
I think it was instrument choice. I think the composition of the songs themselves were good.
>>
>>27879793
>Except for the majority of people who were old enough not to eat the shit given to them. In other words most people who initially picked up the game.
Most of Pokemon's huge popularity back then was with children. If you were still a child back then and were disappointed with the graphics, that's probably just you and not something you can point to Pokemon losing popularity over.

>See above. Also being a lazy and tacked on region instead of something new certainly killed the appeal for most people that expected to see certain areas that were removed. Kind of like when gen 4's BF was revealed and it was so much different from gen 3's. It's basically a mockery to fans.
Again, this sounds like you're projecting your own opinions onto everyone else.

>Eh, barely. The battle speed was increased but it was only really noticeable if you paid extremely close attention to it.
It was pretty noticeable to me. Platinum and HG/SS were still slower than most Pokemon games but not nearly as bad as D/P. I had to turn battle animations off when I played Diamond and even then it was too fucking slow. Agreed about the "saving a lot of data" thing, that was kind of annoying.

>For one because of the pseudo 3D going on everything had this odd warping effect to the point where NPCs would appear to squish. It carried over to Black and White but was a little less noticeable because of how they were designed.
I noticed that more in Black and White than in Gen 4. Either way it looks bad. One thing I'll say about Gen 3 is at least the art style on the overworld is consistent due to being 2D only rather than a hybrid.
>>
>>27872132
>My Emerald cartridge's battery died
I hate gen III now
>>
I got into pokemon via LeafGreen so the lack of postgame besides the Battle Frontier in Emerald was underwhelming af when we had the goddamn SEVII ISLANDS.
>>
>>27880681
>Most of Pokemon's huge popularity back then was with children.
You'd be surprised at how different children were back then than they are now. Keep in mind that kids couldn't pick and choose their games and often only got one every few months compared to nowadays so if they felt like nothing changed they wouldn't be as invested in the game. That's partially why there was so much variety in games back then.

>Again, this sounds like you're projecting your own opinions onto everyone else.
Using that logic nothing can be viewed negatively because it's "projecting". In any case no, there's no opinion there.
It's fact that Kanto had removed several fan favourite locations and was rushed into the game once Iwata optimized the game and that the fan reception to the gen 4 BF was overall poor because it was a downgrade instead of an improvement of the previous one.

>It was pretty noticeable to me.
Like I said, it was only noticeable unless you paid close attention. You must have been one of the few that sunk a lot of time into DP.
>>
>>27880936
This ain't gen 2 boy.
Once the battery dies the game doesn't become unplayable.
>>
>>27881143
All the timed events no longer function, so shit like the Tide Cave is unplayable

I /could/ replace it, but I don't want to risk bricking the cartridge
>>
>>27880966
Same here, except I was playing Pokemon from the first generation. When I got to the Battle Tower in Ruby and realized that there was nothing else left in the game to do it was one of the most disappointing moments of my life. Well, at least until I found the Sky Pillar, though that didn't help much.
>>
>>27881215
>All the timed events no longer function, so shit like the Tide Cave is unplayable
True but the majority of time based events are superficial or have items that can be obtained in other ways.
>>
>>27882983
>It sounds like you're just describing how you feel about it
Not really, it was very much a lazy and tacked on region as I said before it was slapped on to the end of Johto with no regard to Kanto's previous geography after Iwata had optimized the game.

>Since DP sold about 18 million copies
Just over 17.5m and you have to consider that the DS is one of the best selling systems with a hell of a lot of games to choose from on it not to mention that the gen as a whole had a less than stellar reception from fans.
>>
>Not really, it was very much a lazy and tacked on region as I said before it was slapped on to the end of Johto with no regard to Kanto's previous geography after Iwata had optimized the game.
That's actually a rumor and not confirmed. I'm looking at the Iwata interview about Gold and Silver now, they mention he worked on "compression tools" for Pokemon but didn't go into any more detail than that. They were also talking about how he programmed Pokemon Stadium so it could have been related to that. You're also contradicting yourself, if they went through the effort of compressing data just to add it in, that's like the opposite of lazy. But again, I can't find any official source that says Kanto was added on at the end of development so this is all just speculation and assumptions.

>Just over 17.5m and you have to consider that the DS is one of the best selling systems with a hell of a lot of games to choose from on it not to mention that the gen as a whole had a less than stellar reception from fans.
that has nothing to do with what i said and you're doing it again
>>
Here's the post he responded to that I accidentally deleted, for anyone who cares (hopefully no one)

>>27881080
What I mean by projection is, for example, your statement "Also being a lazy and tacked on region instead of something new certainly killed the appeal for most people that expected to see certain areas that were removed." It sounds like you're just describing how you feel about it, like you were personally let down because there were missing areas from Kanto. But then you assert that "most people" feel that way with no proof whatsoever.

>Like I said, it was only noticeable unless you paid close attention. You must have been one of the few that sunk a lot of time into DP.
And I get the feeling you're doing the same thing here. Since DP sold about 18 million copies it seems highly unlikely I'm "one of the few that sunk a lot of time into" it.
>>
>>27883805
>>27883946
Jesus fucking Christ. Stop deleting your God damn posts. I've been lurking this thread and you've done it like three fucking times.

Oh and stop fucking backpedaling and admit you're wrong you idiot. At this point you're just going "nuh uh" just because it upsets you.
>>
>>27883805
>You're also contradicting yourself, if they went through the effort of compressing data just to add it in
>just to add it in
No. The game prior to compression was unfinished Iwata had freed up enough space for them to complete the base game so it wasn't done just to slot in Kanto.
In fact the game as a whole was redesigned almost completely around 1997 seeing as none of the footage shown at that then actually appears within the finished game.

Anyway, the laziness comes into play with Kanto being dropped in at the end of Johto as I said before instead of using that space to improve the base game leaving us with two extremely short regions that were padded out by the poor level scaling.

>that has nothing to do with what i said and you're doing it again
If you can't see how the larger playerbase affected the initial sales and how those people didn't stick with the series then there's no hope for you at all.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.