[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Evil Eye" turned to "Hex" outside Japan. Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Trip_Frillish_Hex.png (2MB, 1566x881px) Image search: [Google]
Trip_Frillish_Hex.png
2MB, 1566x881px
>"Evil Eye" turned to "Hex" outside Japan.

Why
>>
Why dont you lick my evil eye and find out why
>>
>>27818129
Because english-native-speaking people aren't familiar with the concept of the Evil Eye.
>>
>>27818358
You mean the Evil Eye referred to multiple times in the Old Testament? That Evil Eye?
>>
>>27818403
yeah, that's the one
american aren't familiar with that
>>
>>27818403
old testament doesnt matter.
>>
>>27818422
Not true at all. It's denigrated to gypsy curses and other such superstition but still far from unheard of.

>>27818430
It totally does. Most of it doesn't matter to Christianity but the fact that its a book far more familiar to Americans than say the Quran means that stories and concepts drawn from it exist in the American mind space to some degree.
>>
>>27818518
the basic american only knows of the "big stories" i.e. Adam & Eve, Noah's Arc, 10 commandments, etc. only a small percentage would even know about the Evil Eye
>>
>>27819587
obviously anecdotal evidence but i took confirmation classes from 6th-8th grade and worked bible camps over the summer and i never heard of it once
>>
>>27819609
I only heard of the evil eye from that certain Poe poem/short story.

Evil Eye seems like it would be a copy of mean look or miracle eye going just by the name.
>>
>>27819609
i get you, its not really something thats all that important in Christianity i guess so in the minds of those who teach it's just like whatever they just need to know the basics like the golden rule and jesus etc.
>>
Wanted to be a better brother better son
wanted to be a better adversary to the evil eye of dun
>>
File: 4dc.gif (2MB, 540x308px) Image search: [Google]
4dc.gif
2MB, 540x308px
>meteor drive
>keeps the idea behind the name in almost every language
>becomes sunsteel strike in english
Why are some translators this retarted?
>>
>>27819804
Because the name had to be related to the pokemon. Just like how Dialga's signature move is Roar of Time and Palkia's is Spacial Rend.
I guess Meteor Drive wasn't Sun sounding enough.
>>
>>27819804
>PokePal
>becomes Pokemon Amie
>Island King
>becomes Kahuna
>along with a treasure trove of other pointless localizations of terms into things related to what the region is based off of

Localizations since XY are full of this shit, though I gladly take it over the awkward and stilted as fuck localizations for mainline that TPCi were giving us in HGSS and to a lesser extent Gen V though.
>>
>>27818129
I'm pretty sure some Californians know of "Mal Ojo"
>>
>>27819961
I actually prefer Kahuna. Sounds more Hawaii like than Island King. But your point still stands, some localization are just stupid.
>>
>>27818257
you want me to lick your hex?
>>
>>27819961
I thought Pokemon Amie was the name for all regions of the world.
>>
>>27819961
Both of your examples are better in English. As is Sunsteel Strike, which sounds fucking rad.
>>
>>27819961
What's wrong with Pokemon Amie? It even forms a nice pun.
>>
If we, people of Mexico, know about the evil eye, or as it is called in spanish "mal de ojo", i think they could had kept that as it was.

Hex is technically correct, since they put a spell on by looking, akin to bad juju and stuff, but Evil Eye would had been a fitting name for that.

>>27819804
Solar Meteor Drive was already an attack of a Zoid in the US. So they couldn't use that. Meteo Strike was also copyrighted(WHY?) by Square Enix. They ran out of ideas?

The way it looks, i would had called it "Meteoric Impact"
>>
>>27820194
>people of Mexico
yeah but Mexico is Catholic so it is different
>>
>>27818129
Hex is cooler.
>>
>>27819804
Solgaleo looks like a manlet.
>>
>>27820110
t. 13 year old
>>
>>27819961
>the awkward and stilted as fuck localizations for mainline that TPCi were giving us in HGSS and to a lesser extent Gen V

Such as?
>>
>>27820362
I wanna know to
>>
>>27820362
HGSS in particular just had lots of weird wording and phrasing in its dialogue that wasn't just copied wholesale from the GSC localization. Talk to the woman at the counter on the way towards Route 47 from Cianwood. Or Brock's weird "It itches! It itches!" when you have him on the ropes in battle and stands out in my mind. But the point is a lot of dialogue just doesn't feel natural in how it's worded to me, which got slightly better in Gen V and a lot better in Gen VI, though the actual things being said can get really dumb in Gen VI.
>>
>>27820517
I see, I only bought JP SoulSilver and didn't bother with the US versions.
>>
Well, in France it became "Châtiment" even if french people know about "mauvais oeil" (or at least me and my friends do) so yeah, some localization are weird.
Like "Nitrocharge" became "Flame Charge" in english but stayed "Nitrocharge" in french.
Or the -ilate abilities, they all are "x skin" in nip and that got translated this way in french but not in english for reasons.
It's a mystery.
>>
>>27820244
Unlike a cool, mature 16 year old like yourself who has to pull out his inhaler when he sees a localization that isn't 1:1 with honorifics intact and translator's notes.
>>
File: 1400260530547.jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1400260530547.jpg
117KB, 600x600px
>>27820689
Thanks, I had a hearty chuckle.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.