[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphics: GO vs 3DS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 28

File: arcanine.jpg (92KB, 430x293px) Image search: [Google]
arcanine.jpg
92KB, 430x293px
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>27804205
GO isn't anywhere near as animated
>>
It's the same character model with the same animations. The 3DS just has a really shitty screen.
>>
>>27804205
Yeah that makes me sad. But the NX should change all that.
>>
>>27804205
Go has less than 151 available models with less animations, and all around less everything.
3DS games have a fuck ton of models and animations.
The fact that you're even asking this is mind boggling, were you dropped on your head as a child?
>>
>>27804205
>one is 420p
>one is 1080p
geez, I also wonder why the 3DS doesn't cost 700 dollarillos.
>>
I like the 3DS models but I do absolutely wish they would drop the black outline around every Pokemon.
>>
>>27804221
Not really true. The Pokemon in GO all have "special attack" and "physical attack" animations, just like in the 3DS games. Are you under the impression that they only have their standing animation?
>>
>>27804258
>The fact that you're even asking this is mind boggling, were you dropped on your head as a child?

Do you really think that the type of visuals in GO are impossible to achieve in a main series game?
>>
>>27804282
On a 3DS and with Gamefreak as the company making the games, yes.
Absolutely.
>>
File: CViB8op.png (523KB, 1342x792px) Image search: [Google]
CViB8op.png
523KB, 1342x792px
>>27804248
>>27804260
>>27804301
>On the 3DS, yes

The 3DS totally can't render clean graphics, you guys. Everything has to be pixelated and grainy, right?
>>
>>27804205
>3ds cost $150
>smartphone cost $700
>>
>>27804205
Smartphones have higher resolution.

Even if 3DS could pump as many polygons as a PS4 Neo (just for the sake of argument), the resolution would still make it shit
>>
>>27804320
I blame GF for being incompetent at everything they do.
>>
File: 0.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>27804320
It's impossible! The 3DS just isn't capable of anything better than what's in XY...
>>
That's the same model with the same texture, and even the animations are the same.
The shading and resolution are just different.

The 3DS's resolution is limited because otherwise the stereoscopic 3D would take way too much power. As for the shading, it"s just an art style they went for, to be closer the sugimori artworks in the main games.
>>
File: EN_V2_P10_04.jpg (108KB, 350x420px) Image search: [Google]
EN_V2_P10_04.jpg
108KB, 350x420px
>>27804324
>>27804329
Yeah check out this other smartphone app that's totally not on the 3DS!
>>
>>27804320
>>27804343
I wonder why they stylised these models with black outlines? I knows it to make it look more cartoon-y, but man. At least anti-alias that shit!
>>
>>27804205
Phones are more powerful than a 3DS, what's your point? We should have some pretty good graphics on the NX
>>
>people defending the shitty visuals in Gen 6

Fact is they could have focused on making the game not look like dogshit instead of including the 3D effect among other things. It's clearly not impossible on a handheld system if a $200 smartphone can render graphics better.
>>
>>27804205
So for Gen 8 ditch the cel-shading for the new console?
>>
>>27804373
Point remains that if the 3DS were a better piece of hardware and Game Freak were more competent, we could absolutely have better visuals in the games. Stop sucking GF's cock for a second.
>>
>>27804386
As bad as Gen 6 was, the graphics were a huge improvement over the godawful Gen 5 ones
And anyway, these models are Gen 7 as well
>>
>>27804354
Who cares what their approach was, it looks like shit.

You can't really begin to tell me you actually like that crappy art style. The 3DS is 2010 hardware, LITERALLY 2010 HARDWARE. It's like that because it's a shitty system and the "lol sugi style" is an excuse, a sweet little lie you tell yourself to keep up the contrarianism.
>>
>>27804301
>alolan forms are all just recolors
Please, Anon.
>>
>>27804320
>>27804343
The resolution is the same on those screenshots you retard, they're just seen from way closer, so of course it's less pixelated.
God people on here have no idea how graphics work. It actually takes more power to render the gen 6 graphics than the shitty shading the Pokédex 3D had, it's very fucking basic.
>>
>>27804432
>I'm sure it's just that easy, buddy. God forbid you ever actually have to do anything in your life. Price is all that matters, uh huh. Hardware specs are nothing.

Holy shit what are you even talking about you autist
>>
>>27804448
>want better graphics
>you're a retarded child! your mother should have had an abortion!!

/vp/ is truly an underage board.
>>
>>27804320
1 model on the screen ata time with little to no background code vs. up to 6 models at a time.
>>
>>27804463
>they're just seen from way closer, so of course it's less pixelated.

Go download Pokedex 3D Pro and tell me the resolution is the same
>>
>>27804409
Honesty i hope not, i really like cel-shading.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>27804363
>ITT people don't know how pixels work
If it takes more space on the screen it's not as pixelated ou fucking morons, OP's picture doesn't reflect how the model actually looks, it's just the small as shit thumbnail of the model you see in the pokédex.
It's true that the textures are more pixelated though, but that's because more textures have to be shown at once and stored, so of course they'd have to make a slight sacrifice on their resolution.
>>
>>27804463
Exactly. It's less pixelated because it's taking up more of the screen than those stat screen rips.
>>
>>27804320
But the gen6 models look better....
>>
>>27804526
>Y-you're just an autist! How dare you prove me wrong!
Yes, you proved me wrong by saying "god forbid you ever actually have to do anything in your life." It make a lot of sense when you said that and I see the error of my ways now.

Also, it is impossible for a handheld platform to have a game with a lot of different models have decent graphics. It's impossible even though my cell phone can do it, I probably make it up in my head and you're right. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>27804557
But anon, they're the same fucking models.
>>
>>27804448
Real mature anon. Go take a time or something.
>>
>>27804560
Anon, you don't know how technology works. Kill yourself or educate yourself. You have two options.
>>
>>27804529
It's the same resolution, the antialisaing is just different. But the performances required in an actual game over nothing but a technical demo that has very fucking basic lighting, albeit smooth, not interaction between models whatsoever, no user interface, very basic animations and FX has nothing to do with an actual game, especially if the shading is stylised.
>>
>>27804386
Smart phones are upwards of $600, fuckface. Your smart phone is more powerful than a 3ds, having a much better screen and resolution. This was done on purpose, because they wanted the 3ds cheap enough for parents to give into buying one for their kids.

Not sure why this is surprising but technology actually does cost a lot of money. There's a reason Nintendo systems are weaker yet cost half of compared to other game systems.

Gamefreak also had to design over 700 models while all Niantic had to do was steal the exact same models and make them slightly prettier.

Stop shilling for that shitty mobile mod. Gamefreak aren't the most reliable but they do least make games that work properly.

>>27804427
>if Nintendo's system could support better graphics we'd have better graphics!
>the 3ds being shit is GF's fault!

Don't post if you're retarded. What you're demanding is Nintendo's version of the Vita without considering how much more successful the 3ds is over the Vita. You can't have your cake and eat it. When competing with the mobile world, costs is one of the bigger advantages regarding hardware comparisons.
>>
File: 77871_Zinogre_.jpg (58KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
77871_Zinogre_.jpg
58KB, 400x240px
>>27804594
>>27804605
Meanwhile, other games.

But Pokemon has to look like dogshit because I "don't know how technology works".

Fucking Game Freak apologists, man. Every time.
>>
>>27804560
It's not an issue of decent graphics, it's an issue of stylized graphics. 3D main games have stylized shading, which takes more power than the very basic "only shadows" shading Pokédex 3D has, that's why you don't see it as often.
>>
I remember in an interview during BW, when questioned why Pokemon hadn't made the complete jump to 3d, it was said they didn't want to unless they could do 3d that was similar in style and spirit to the 2d sprites. Well, that's what they did.
>>
>>27804645
>monster hunter
>good graphics
Yeah, you don't fucking know anything. Monster hunter has pretty shitty graphics, it just has a more detailled style so you don't notice it as much. But these details are just more detailled textures, it had nothing to do with actual power or how complicated it is to make.

Pokémon games are stylized, if you don't like it it's your own fucking problem but it's not "shitty graphics", it's actually pretty fucking advanced to do.
>>
>>27804645
MH 3DS games look like shit
>>
>>27804645
And way more goes on at one time in that game than in a Pokemon battle. There is literally no excuse.
>>
File: Es-polka4.jpg (65KB, 530x930px) Image search: [Google]
Es-polka4.jpg
65KB, 530x930px
my $100 phone can run pokemon go which admittedly has better models for pokemon. I honestly wouldn't give a fuck if they dropped the 3ds console because it's really unnecessary. The only good thing about a console are the buttons, but I can live without those. I just wouldn't ever want it to become like an app with microtransactions. You pay once, you get the game and that's that. But knowing how greedy everyone is it would be unlikely.

I have always hated how lazy Pokemon has been in terms of graphics. No I don't want overly realistic things, I want the same simplistic game but wow come on at least make the jump to something like pic related. Even the PSP from motherfucking 2004 or w.e has better graphics still.
>>
>>27804723
Pokemon looks like absolute shit.
>>
>>27804645
But that also looks like dogshit.

Even games like Hyrule Warriors, which looks great on console, is made to look like dogshit on 3ds. And that has nothing to do with Pokémon.

You just obviously don't understand technology.
>>
>>27804745
>Even the PSP from motherfucking 2004 or w.e has better graphics still.

So fucking true.
>>
>>27804254
>>27804258
You're just as dumb. The only real answer is hardware.
>>
>>27804771
>You just obviously don't understand technology.

"I want better graphics."
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND TECHNOLOGY!

What exactly is your fucking problem, man? The PSP was putting out better looking games a decade ago.

Do you think the 3DS really puts out the best graphics available? It's fucking terrible compared to every other option.
>>
>>27804320
>Wanting more lag in online battles
Imagine the lag with those models in a triple battle with all Moltres' using Heateave
>>
>>27804757
>zoom of gen 6 overworld
You're fucking retarded, it's meant to look a certain way and does it fine.
>>
>>27804812
Imagine competent developers.
>>
>>27804221
They literally are just the same models and animation just rendered differently.
>>
>>27804745
Read the fucking thread, the Go models are the fucking same. As for style, we already said that the style you're using as an example is actually easier to get, it has very basic lighting, everything comes from the textures, and it's static as fuck. Pokémon needs dynamic lighting, and that of course takes power, it's not a fucking issue of "better graphics", it's an art style.
>>
>>27804814
>it's meant to look like Legos so you shouldn't want anything better

I'm sorry that you hate me wanting better graphics, Anon. I know it hurts you but I want it anyway.
>>
>>27804757
For one, that screenshot is a jpg, so it's grainer that it actually is ingame.
>>
Am I the only one who likes the graphics of recent Pokemon games? Yeah they're a little outdated and sometimes they use ugly neon colours but overall I think they're perfect for the franchise, especially the 3D models and I wouldn't want them to become too smooth or realistic
>>
>>27804802
Except it didn't you fucking moron, it just didn't take any fucking risks when it comes to how graphics are made and just used graphics that worked easily, with all the details already on the texture and not reacting to anything happening around them.
>>
>>27804845
If you want it that's your own fucking issue, just don't act like it's somewhat more technologically advanced to slap a detailled picture on a much simpler 3D model in an environment where light just creates shadows and nothing else, it's not.
>>
>>27804865
>with all the details already on the texture and not reacting to anything happening around them.

Tell me one instance where Pokemon does that.
>>
>>27804904
Pokken?
>>
>>27804904
Anytime a pokémon moves in battle, the gradients of light on it move according to how light affects it. The black outline also stays consistent and isn't just a flipped version of the model slapped on top. It's subtle but there.
>>
>>27804205
Smartphones are as powerful as the Wii U
>>
>>27804925
This entire thread is about the 3DS games.

>>27804936
>its subtle but there
And is that worth grainy dogshit graphics? Subtle lighting? We're going to have to just agree to disagree here. I can't have a conversation with a GF shill.
>>
File: 22384.jpg (98KB, 582x342px) Image search: [Google]
22384.jpg
98KB, 582x342px
>>27804802
No, I don't, but I also think you're projecting your underaged status a bit too hard.

GF went for a childish style in Xy and people didn't like it. They are obviously taking a different approach with Sun and Moon.
>>
>>27805012
>No, I don't, but I also think you're projecting your underaged status a bit too hard.

I'm 30 and a programmer. I understand how graphics work and I understand how the 3DS works. I understand that GF went for a "childish style" in XY. I get all that.

I would just prefer the games to look better, knowing they absolutely can. I'm sorry that triggers you all so hard.
>>
S\M looks great. Why isn't anyone bring that up?
Yeah the Gen 6 games look rather rough but XY- ORAS showed they the graphics were improving and Sun and Moon is basically a fully realized 3ds game. Also no OP, I can't believe that they rehashed the models from XY for Go. That's just lazy
>>
>>27805066
Why in the world would you remake 150 models for a F2P grindfest for phones when the ones you have work perfectly and are decently future-proofed?
>>
>>27804843
And you should read my fucking post? The 3ds, a more expensive device is incapable of displaying the models MADE FOR IT as well as a cheaper device can. You're trying to defend the 3ds for being ugly and redundant. "It's an art style" uh, no it's not because SM is breaking the boundaries to bring in better graphics but still has that disgusting juttered outline. IF it was based on "art style" then why has pokemon go not been made the same? Oh right, because the device itself is fully capable of displaying the models as intended. So your entire post doesn't make any sense.

>but the models are the same on both
>juttered outlines are an art style!
>not synonymous in all games
>yet models can be displayed in full resolution, lighting, texture etc on a smartphone as they were intended but reduced to shit because the 3ds is shit and expenssive.

REEEEEEEEEEEE normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE they donteven support the consoles or main games
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I like to throw money at a lazy company
>>
>>27805066
They re-used the models from Pokedex 3D, too (for the most part) and they also pop up in Pokken for the support Pokemon. Lazy or efficient?
>>
>>27804205
The 3DS has a 240p LCD while most smartphones have at least a 720p display.
>>
Several reasons.
The biggest is that while they are the same models, GO uses different shaders/rendering

Contributing factors are the screen resolution as well as GPU.
>>
>>27805066
Well it's just that everything use them.
Pokken; Go, arcades etc.
>>
oh good, you guys are talking about how fucking ugly pokemon in 3-d is. How could they have thought it was a good idea? 3-d environments with 2-d characters would have been so much cleaner.
>>
>>27805050
Being a programmer doesn't mean much. I know plenty of computer engineers who don't understand the business decisions that come with marketing technology.

Pokémon Go upscaled the models, but the rest of the game looks like unfinished garbage. It's just a weird out of place human model walking awkwardly on Google maps. It's also compared to shitty pictures and thumbnails that purposely make the graphics look worse. The graphics in the actual game look good. The only shitty part is the humans, which is fixed in SM. The models used for humans was reminiscent of when you shrunk in the sprite styled games.

You sound more triggered here.
>>
>>27805300
>The graphics in the actual game look good.

Well we completely disagree on this.
>>
File: image.png (144KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
144KB, 530x530px
Daily reminder that we live in a world where playing a fleshed out adventure involving forming close bonds with badass monsters is kiddie compared to a simplified version of said adventure.
>>
File: vewb78 oans.png (25KB, 423x318px) Image search: [Google]
vewb78 oans.png
25KB, 423x318px
The models of the 3DS version are actually better than Niantics
>>
>>27805508
They're the same models and (mostly, if not completely) the same animations.
>>
>>27805469
>simplified
Anon i think you're giving too much credit to pokemon go
>>
>>27805518
And do you have evidence of this? One of these threads before had someone who ripped 3DS models that were a lot more detailed than niantics
>>
>>27804205
I like the way the 3DS ones look better. Fuck off, Goshill
>>
>>27804205
>blown up image
3DS models actually look good on a 3DS screen
>>
I get that they programmed the shaders the way they did to achieve a certain style, but I'd rather them ditch that for quicker rendering and less use of resources to improve frame rate instead of bogging everything down with making pretty good models look even more pixelated than the low resolution of the textures and screen already do. Hell, if they were smart about it and if the 3ds supports compute shaders(I need to look into that, never programmed for 3ds before) they could probably shove calculations for stuff like stat changes onto the gpu.
>>
>>27805576
My eyes?
>>
>>27804205
I mean they're really just the same models but with different resolutions, and a 3DS is weaker than your average mid-range phone so... yeah.
>>
>>27805655
What wonderful answer. Who knew decent models on a 1080p+ screen looks better than good models on a 240p screen?
>>
>>27804902
Hey, at least my eyes don't bleed when I look at it.

I'm sorry you love shitty graphics and GF's cock in your ass senpai. But they could really do better, if only they knew how to make games.
>>
>>27805705
I mean, you can download the XYORAS models to your computer yourself and look at them with your own 2 eyes on a higher res screen and see that they're the same.
>>
>>27805527
If simplified isn't the right word to describe it then what is it?

Over simplified? socially engaging? Butchered?
>>
ITT shitposters who don't even play the game
>>
>>27805576
That's funny.

I was in a thread a few weeks ago, and when they ripped the models, they looked about comparable to the ripper.
Also, the smartphone textures and effects are better, because they are using a more capable engine.
>>
>>27805469
Not to mention
>You can pay2win if the game is too hard
>>
>>27804205
because our phones has better graphics than the shitty Nintendo crap
>>
>>27804526
>wanting a handheld with better graphics is an impossible thing

Are you seriously retarded?
>>
>>27805518
Look at voltorb first - it's a little more obvious there.
>>
>>27805518
>>27808992
and by obvious, take a note of its brow between XY and GO
>>
>>27804205
ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?

Jesus /vp/ is full of fucknugget ass manchildren
>>
File: 1470911700462.jpg (46KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
1470911700462.jpg
46KB, 394x370px
>wanting plastic looking shit over based cel shading
>>
>>27804349
Those would probably work better than what we have funnily enough.
>>
File: 1421358142212.jpg (84KB, 680x794px) Image search: [Google]
1421358142212.jpg
84KB, 680x794px
>this entire thread
>>
I like the outlines, but hate the pixelation.
It would have been sweet if Go could have had the outlines, but smoothed them out.
>>
File: 20160120091206_37950.jpg (270KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20160120091206_37950.jpg
270KB, 1000x1000px
>>27804324
>>27804260
You can get a smartphone that runs GO for $125

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_298118.html
>>
>>27804320
The 3ds is 240p you retard. GF can't just magically make more pixels.
>>
>>27804320
why is the model clearly from a higher resolution source than the UI? Is it because the 3DS has shitty resolution but you chose to use a model from somewhere else and doctored up a screenshot in an attempt to prove something
>>
>>27804301
Anon... If you call someone retarded you should at least know that your use of vise versa is redundant. A=B <=> B=A.
>>
>>27804205
well if it only was the pokemon you were rendering in the 3ds, then yes, they can make graphics like that of go as well. but you have to factor in the world, the amount of other characters and other effects/animations for the actual games and of course the limits of the 3ds.
>>
>>27804545
/thread
>>
>>27809149
Cel shading looks like a garbled mess in 240p. All the more reason to port the game to phones.
>>
>>27809521
Redmi 3 isn't as good as the Redmi Note 3 Pro
http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_308825.html
>>
>>27805766
Is like calling Pokemon GO takes the Pokemon formula, throws it to the thrash bin, and makes a shittier version of said formula with crayons and glitter.
>>
>>27804260

it took 6 posts for someone to not be retarded

jesus christ /vp/
>>
>>27809772
That's $50 more though, the 3 is plenty for Go and an all around good phone.

9+ hours screen on time.
>>
>>27809394
Citra emulator?
>>
>>27804320
Still mad they didn't update that with gen 6 mons.
>>
>>27809851
>700
No, he is fucking retarded. He can't look past the samsung and apple. Just take this phone that anon mentioned
>>27809521

You really don't need more.
as an owner of a Oneplus one :^)
>>
>>27804723
>
Monster hunter compacts their textures into smaller resolutions but they seem to actually utilize bump/normal maps whilst Pokémon does not. Pokémon uses simple coloured texture maps to reduce file size which I think is 512x512 plus alpha.
The models don't look pixelated when it's out of XY. It appears to be a post process layed upon the game when it's on the 3DS or it is hardware choice.
Also Go uses different shaders. It's made with Unity and it's for mobile so the polycount for the models might be smaller too. Instead of the 10k ones they have for XY.
Monster hunter might also use a snaller polycount for their models.
>>
>>27809719
yes anon, everyone wants to play a game that uses a joystick on a fucking touchscreen. Jesus christ its underage in here.
>>
I unironically like 3DS way better. Literally anything has more charm than GO.
>>
>>27804205
I really hope the next handheld is atleast 720p, nobody uses the stupid 3d gimmick anyway. Why not just give us 2 high res screens and games that look decent without running like ass?
>>
>>27809097

I think you're the manchild here, minus the man part.

>sudden outburst riddled with random swearing, no explaination or argument
>>
>>27811253
It might if it was rendered with more than 10 pixels.
>>
>>27811293
The only thing I don't like about the 3DS graphics-wise (looking at SM; XY had more cons) was the frameate.
>>
>>27804205
Higher resolution and rendering that isn't available on the 3ds.
>>
>>27804320
The pixelation is mostly a resolution issue.
Can't do much about that. Except add AA I suppose. But X and Y couldn't even do 3D, so I doubt it would be capable of that.
>>
>>27804324
>>smartphone cost $700
it's running perfectly on my 3yo $350 Galaxy S4, I'm sure you can find plenty of new sub-$200 phones that are still viable
>>
>>27805469
not saying you're wrong but your wording is beyond autistic
>>
The cartoonish 3DS look is way better. "Realistic" pokémon like GO all look like crap.
I want GF to focus on making more animations and making the gameplay more fluid with a better framerate, not butchering my eyes with stupid ugly "realistic" style models.
>>
File: 1471274866617.jpg (58KB, 784x304px) Image search: [Google]
1471274866617.jpg
58KB, 784x304px
>>27804282
Yes. Developing games for the DS was a nightmare and the 3DS slight less so.
>>
>>27804205
They look the same you whiny
>>
>>27804205
Probably has to do with maximizing battery life

Here is hoping nintendo releases a real pokemon game for smartphones though
>>
>>27804205
The 3ds came out in 2011. Try running Go on a smartphone from that era. It would be impossible. on my 2013 phone it is still slow although it was an average phone for the time.
>>
>>27812729
Oh look they're the same model, with different textures.
>>
>>27813831
An iphone 4s can run it, and its from 2011

Its not like its doing much
>flat map, gps, one player character and a few pokemon at most
>pokestops and gyms are a few flat symbols with some simple geometry thrown into the mix
>>
File: models.png (480KB, 1432x800px) Image search: [Google]
models.png
480KB, 1432x800px
Resolution.

The actual models are the same, they just look blurry because of how zoomed out they are in-game.
>>
>>27813924
>Implying it runs it well with only a dual core A5
it also came out later in the year than the 3ds
>>
>>27813989
>moving the goal posts this hard
And like I said, the 3ds games are trying to render more than GO do
>>
File: A handheld for ants.gif (254KB, 239x200px) Image search: [Google]
A handheld for ants.gif
254KB, 239x200px
>>27804205

Screen resolution of modern lowest-end budget phones: 720 x 1280

"Standard" screen resolution of most modern phones: 1080 x 1920

Screen resolution of current flagship phones: 1440 x 2560

......... Resolution of 3DS's top screen: 400×240
>>
>>27804205
You are an idiot
>>
>>27814331
>Resolution of 3DS's top screen: 400×240
I knew it was shit, what with all the pixelation, but never realized it was in a tier bellow analog tvs.
>>
>>27804205
>Smartphones
High def nongame
>3DS
240p toaster but an actual game.
>>
>>27804205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7bZAZnseE
Just wait until Citra emulates perfectly.
>>
File: 1464148460393.jpg (20KB, 328x396px) Image search: [Google]
1464148460393.jpg
20KB, 328x396px
You can blame GF all you want and drawing comparisons to other games, but for the record: The 3DS uses an embedded GPU from 2006.

>PICA200 is a graphics processing unit (GPU) for embedded devices designed by Digital Media Professionals Inc. (DMP), a Japanese GPU design company. It was announced at SIGGRAPH 2005, and presented on SIGGRAPH 2006 conference.

From fucking 2006. A mid-range phone from 2010 could've done better.
Fucking Nintendo.
>>
>>27814629
That's some beautiful shit,
>>
>>27814637

If the hardware was better, the 3DS would have to be much more expensive.

Vita has better hardware than the 3DS, but it flopped because it launched at $299, among other things.
>>
File: 1440251985083.jpg (78KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1440251985083.jpg
78KB, 800x900px
>Colosseum and Gale of Darkness still haven't been surpassed graphically by the core games
>>
>>27814796
It could've been much more powerful if they didn't blow R&D and manufacturing costs on the fucking 3D gimmick that nobody would miss, I bet
>>
>>27809851
>says the retard that actually thinks you need a good phone for GO
>>
Looks fine to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEO49Xl8BzA

Would play an NX S/M port if it looked this good.
>>
>>27809851
I thought so too.

>>27815250
He didn't say that though. I'll file you under "Retard" as well.
>>
>>27817531
>Citra
>>
>>27815033

Have you taken a good look at those games? They look like shit.

The human characters in Colosseum are blocky as fuck, like they belong in a fucking N64 game, and the models for all pre-Gen 3 Pokemon are ripped straight from the N64 games, and it's really jarring to see those shitty-looking models next to the decent-looking models of the newer Pokemon.
>>
>>27804260
Actually it's closer to 240p.
>>
>>27817531
I had never noticed how shiny Scizor was on the 3DS.
>>
>>27804320
>1342x792
How are people falling for this bait?
>>
>>27804205
Have you ever made a video game?

and especially one on the scale of Pokemon?
You and the rest of this thread clearly have no idea how this shit works
>>
>>27806041
except you can't
>>
>>27804205
Stylistic choice.
>>
ITT: people who don't know how rendering fucking works.
It's the same model, but one has antialiasing and it's rendered in a higher resolution screen.
>>
I, for one, prefer the more cartoony rendering style with the black outlines by a wide margin. Feels more Pokemon to me. Would be nice if they tweaked the colors to make them pop a bit more- I think they made them more muted so they wouldn't be grating in 3D? But the game runs like shit in 3D anyway.

Pokemon GO only looks better because its on a better screen, so its displaying the models properly, unlike the 3DS' shitty excuse for a screen. But on the close-ups like >>27804545
you get a better idea of what its going for.
>>
>>27813903
They're not even different textures. They're just all rendered in different programs.
>>
>>27804205
Smartphones are more powerful than handhelds and the Wii U.
>>
>>27813958
the fucking saturation
I'm still mad
>>
>>27814796
>If the hardware was better, the 3DS would have to be much more expensive.

It was already expensive at launch, especially considering how shit the hardware is.
>>
>>27815033
see>>27817531
>>
>GameFreak uses models that the 3DS can't even handle without slowdown

For what purpose?
>>
The 3DS is pretty damn outdated technology-wise. It is running at a native 240p and often requires some technical tricks to get shit looking good.

With that said, Pokemon models look like shit but I imagine that is because of double and triple battles having 6 Pokemon on screen at a time, or the swarm wild battles. Smartphones on the other hand are only showing 1 model at a time, and even a low end phone made in the last few years is far better graphically then the 3DS. Most of these phones have anywhere from 720p to 1440p screens, with some now coming out with 4K screens. Shit is going to look much crisper.
>>
>>27804205
Smartphones have way better hardware than 3DS by now. At least to run Android > 4.2 is a guarantee that it has more horsepower than a 3DS.
The most expensive Smartphones can even beat a Wii U on hardware specs.

Plus it's a style choice. 3DS prefers to keep a cel-shaded style to mix it into a cartoony world, instead of Go's aesthetic choice.
>>
>>27821090
The models themselves look fine.
>>27814629
>>27817531
It must just be the shitty screen.
>>
>>27817654
>Have you taken a good look at those games?
Beat Colosseum again, so yeah. Though I was using Dolphin. And now I'm going through GoD again.
>They look like shit.
Exactly? That's the issue.
>>
>>27821244
You'll just have to wait until the Citra devs fix Citra for the models too look great.

Too bad all the pokemonfags are busy making their shitty Pokemon Go bots, Citra barely gets any love.
>>
>>27817531
I just hope the NX to be capable of 4K.
And Game Freak to use textures higher than 256x256. Textures that resolution look pixelated as fuck.
>>
>>27821321
Or they could just sell Pokemon on smartphones.
I wish.
>>
>$800 cellphone
>$200 children's toy
>>
Pokemon games being developed for PC when?
>>
>>27804373
People would complain how the hundred is creased and the blowjob didn't give them the acceptance of their peers.
>>
>>27804205
IT'S THE SAME !??!? ?!?! ?? !?
Woa 400x240 vs 1920x1080+!!!!!
>>
File: 10517[1].png (336KB, 750x650px) Image search: [Google]
10517[1].png
336KB, 750x650px
Resolution.

This is what Arcanine's 3DS model actually looks like.
>>
>>27804435
>The 3DS is 2010 hardware, LITERALLY 2010 HARDWARE.

It was announced in 2010, and released in 2011, so duh.
>>
>Nintendo will never make a hand held console as powerful as the Vita
If only we could have the best of both worlds.
>>
Even putting aside the resolution and all that, go still has better textures that the normal game should use
>>
>>27822054

The only difference is the black outline they put on them to maintain the cartooniness
>>
>>27821771
Doesn't matter what it actually looks like. What matters is what we see on our 3DS screens. And they don't look all too great.
>>
>>27814796
The 3DS launched at nearly that much ($249), anon.
>>
>>27804320
That model looks like shit, m8.
>>
>>27809394
Silky smooth 30fps
>>
>>27804205
Because smartphones are more powerful than the 3ds, no matter how you slice it.
You'd have to struggle to find a modern smartphone that doesn't outclass the 3ds hardware's capabilities, even the cheap Chinese knockoff phones have more going for them.

Thank God the 3ds has buttons, if people figured out that phone games can be controlled using more than just tapping and shaking the phone like a retard then the handheld market might be in trouble.
>>
>>27809394

silky smooth 30fps
>>
>>27804205
Good question. I thought this thread filled with braindead morons who know nothing of technology would have been long-gone, but I see it's still shitting up the boards with fuckheads that don't even know how technology works.

TL;DR there's a good fucking reason apart from the fact that GameFreak are incompetent.
>>
>>27822564
And the 3DS has a bunch of gimmicky shit that the Vita doesn't; namely, the 3D. Jesus Christ you people are stretching.
>>
>>27822054
No it doesn't. They're the same textures with different lighting and at a different resolution in a different game with a different engine with different hardware etc. etc. etc.

Fuck off.
>>
File: example-comparison.jpg (423KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
example-comparison.jpg
423KB, 1920x1080px
>>27820520
It's called a shader. And good shaders are expensive performance wise.
>>
File: 1444561879771.jpg (190KB, 750x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1444561879771.jpg
190KB, 750x1025px
>>27813903
>>27812729
>tfw you realise they are the SAME model
>>
>>27804205
3DS games are trying to mimic how sprites look
so they give everything a jagged edge and hard shading
>>
>>27809521
Blu R1 HD is $60 for the 2GB RAM version and it runs PoGO fine
>>
Sprites are better
>>
>>27804324
my $60 Blu R1 works great lol 700 nah nigga and i got my 3ds for 90
>>
>>27804248
are you retarded ?
>>
File: Umbreon.png (308KB, 975x650px) Image search: [Google]
Umbreon.png
308KB, 975x650px
>>27823697

Are you? If you can't tell that it's the exact same model, you are blind.

Pokken uses the Gen 6 models too for Support Pokemon, just with HD textures slapped on.
>>
File: 1447165020268.png (440KB, 623x619px) Image search: [Google]
1447165020268.png
440KB, 623x619px
>>27823732
Good eyes.
>>
>>27823697
it's already been confirmed to be the same models
>>
>>27805093
>a cheaper device
>>
>>27822054
Honestly, nether have very great texture work.
>>
>>27823732
The eyes look modeled on the right, while they appear to just be textures on the left.
>>
>>27823966
It's called a normal map
>>
>>27809394
silky smooth 30fps
>>
>>27824228
>>27824228
>>27824228
>>27824228
>>27824228
>>
>>27804320
All those clouds
>>
>>27804320
It looks like N64 Mario.
>>
>>27824409
I guess you took it as a personal goal to keep shoving your retard wish for a pokemon mmo, right?
>>
> people claiming its because of the amount of pokemon and animations when its literally the exact same models nintendo dumped on niantic

are you all retarded

do any of you all know how anything works
>>
File: fucktardsOnTheInternet.png (529KB, 850x453px) Image search: [Google]
fucktardsOnTheInternet.png
529KB, 850x453px
>>27804320
>>27804343
>>27804205
>how do pixels work
>>
>>27804320
Clearly being run in Citra.
>>
>>27804264
While the Pokemon on 3DS have 4 different attack animations, idle, Amie, and fainting animation.
>>
>>27811241
Are you retarded or have you never played a point n' click game?
>>
File: hotdog.gif (3MB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
hotdog.gif
3MB, 620x349px
>>27804320
>posts 1342x792 screenshot
>asks why 400x200 is so pixelated
>>
>>27805050
Im a 30 year old programmer and i care deeply about the graphical fidelity of my childrens monster catching game.

Lets spend more money and increase development time for zero financial incentives woooooo

Im sure upper management and investors will be most pleased
>>
>>27804639
>Smart phones are upwards of $600, fuckface.
Damn, you're retarded.
>>
>>27830556

>seriously thinking smart phones don't cost around $600

Not that anon but have you ever tried to ask or buy a new smartphone without a service plan?
>>
>>27814629
It's a shame that by the time Nintendo make a HD handheld, the models will no longer be considered that great.

They did the best they could with the cheap hardware, at least.
>>
>>27830685
There are smartphones that cost $600 but there are also smartphones that cost around $200 and can perfectly run Pokemon Go.
>>
>>27804463
But the cell shading makes EVERYTHING LOOK LIKE SHIT AND I HATE IT.
>>
>>27814629
This is what I want Pokemon to look like in the NX. With Anti Aliasing
>>
>>27817531
QUESTION:

If the NX is backwards compatible with 3DS games could they give them Anti Aliasing and upscale them so they look like this?
>>
Speaking of graphics, should I buy a 3ds or 2ds?

only ever used one in a target once or twice and wasn't sure which one it was

It sounds like the graphics are shit either way, what do I get for the extra $100?
>>
>>27831689
>should I buy a 3ds or 2ds?
Buy neither.
>>
>>27831713
But i want to play childrens video games
>>
File: MHST.webm (3MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
MHST.webm
3MB, 400x224px
>>27804645
Monster Hunter's own fucking spinoff looks better than both it, and Pokemon.
>>
>>27832368
MonHun Stories looks like a great spinoff, I hope it doesn't flop.
>>
>>27831777
Neither, get a New3DS because there's some games that can only be played on it.
>>
>>27804205

I like the core games 3D models better.
>>
>>27830685
That anon (and it seems you, too) don't know that smartphone prices are all over the place, from less than 200 bucks to more than a thousand. The cheaper smartphones that are still capable of blowing the 3DS out of the water render his point moot.
>>
>all the GF/Nintendo dicksucking ITT
Thread posts: 236
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.