[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck have they been doing to the starters? They used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: mavericks.png (9KB, 560x168px) Image search: [Google]
mavericks.png
9KB, 560x168px
What the fuck have they been doing to the starters? They used to be just cool animal monsters, but ever since gen 4 they've looked different. Most of them look like megaman x mavericks or something, a lot more anthropomorphized like animal themed anime villains. And they were all pretty simple or natural looking, and now a lot of them have weird artistic flourishes on them like they were designed by renaissance artists or some shit.

I just want a badass blastoise or a cool looking sceptile. I don't want a man in a pig costume with a bunch of swirls on it, or some man in a giant spiky costume with a chipmunk face, or a fucking owl cosplaying archer
>>
File: 1470686174512.jpg (216KB, 923x866px) Image search: [Google]
1470686174512.jpg
216KB, 923x866px
>>
Literally Blazikens fault
>>
>>27664329
>I don't want a man in a pig costume with a bunch of swirls on it, or some man in a giant spiky costume with a chipmunk face, or a fucking owl cosplaying archer

But you were totally fine with a turtle with fucking cannons coming out of it?
>>
>>27664409
>>27664409
Fuck yeah, are you kidding me?
>>
>>27664409

yes, because it looks like an actual turtle monster. Canons don't automatically make it an anthropomorphized anime villain covered in flourishes
>>
>>27664329

from left to right

>Serperior
>Emboar
>probably gen 8
>torterra
>chesnaught
>infernape
>final rowlett evolution
>empoleon

THIS is how shitty the starters have gotten
>>
>>27664511
>Infernape isn't the one that is based on a primate
What.
>>
File: 5a0.png (155KB, 735x300px) Image search: [Google]
5a0.png
155KB, 735x300px
This might not work. Maybe should have tried Hornet Man -> Blast Hornet -> Queenbee.
>>
>>27664682

I was basing it more on body types and designs than concepts.

There's nothing wrong with a primate starter, but there is something wrong than a man in a futuristic anime that dresses as an animal to fight crime or some shit
>>
>>27664511
>serperior is sting chameleon
Are you retarded serperior doesn't even have arms and legs
>>
Why is a cannon turtle with a bear face ok, why does everyone ignore the stupid bear face. There is no way any pokemon after gen 1 would get away with a randomass bear face.
>>
File: image.png (7KB, 156x147px)
image.png
7KB, 156x147px
>>27664459
Literally my dads Blastoise
>>
>>27664329
OP, I understand what you're getting at, and it's a hard thing to put in to words.

The other day I was talking to a guy who asked if I'd seen the Chinese leaks. He asked if I liked them, and when I said no he tried to make it out like I was "grasping for straws" on my reasoning. (He proceeded to tell me how "butthurt and upset" I was, despite me sitting right there in front of him. Not being upset or even angry.)

It's not worth it to try and explain to people who don't get it.

There are a limited number of slots available for new Pokemon on each release. That's why people are so strict on their own personal preferences on the new Pokemon that get released. Everyone has a different criteria that they hope is met with each new Pokemon.

Starters are a particularly big deal, because they define each players experience in a big way. It used to be that a starters' final stage was relatively "palatable" and could be envisioned on a wide array of trainers. It's not really like that, anymore.

With the likelihood of the Chinese leaks, this will likely be the first time I'll immediately release my starter and just play through without it. It's no big deal, because it's obvious to me some people like the designs. I'm sure there is a Gen that I love, that they can't stand.

My hangups with S/M haven't been confirmed or proven wrong yet, so I'll just have to wait.
>>
>>27667212
But there isn't an actual limit on how many Pokémon get made beyond Gamefreak's "yes, this will be in the game".
It isn't like with Gen 1-2 where the structure of the code made only 256 possible at most.
>>
>>27664459
If by monster you mean it looks fucking hideous, then yes, I will agree. Down Syndrome face. Cannons pointing in completely arbitrary directions just to look cool, don't even look practical.
The cannons may not make it look like "an anthropomorphized anime villain covered in flourishes", but they still make it look fucking dumb.
>>
>>27664459
Torterra looks like an actual turtle monster. Blastoise just looks like it has down syndrome.
>>
>>27667212

You're not autistic enough to be here, please leave.
>>
>>27667324
That seems like an odd portion of my post to point out, but I'll explain my thought process on that statement.

Pokemon aren't like Digimon or monsters from Monster Rancher. When you get one, it's usually the sole representative of whatever it's design is. (The operative word there being "usually".)

For example, let's say a Dolphin Pokemon was being announced. You would hope that it would look cool because that will be "the" dolphin Pokemon.

On top of that, we don't have a solid number of how many new entries we will get in this game. But even still, let's say that 150 new Pokemon hypothetically got released. You want as many of those 150 designs to be decent as possible.

When Gen 5 came out, I remember being miffed that three legendaries were literal copies of one another, and the rest looked terrible. And I remember thinking GF was lazy with the Klink line, because it was more than just, "It gets bigger" or "multiple heads". It was literally a part of it getting copied and pasted.

But this Gen doesn't look like we'll have that problem.
>>
>>27667704
That hasn't been true since Gen 2 and arguably since Gen 1 since a lot of the "ambiguous kind of dinosaur" have similar traits. And even if you get a Dolphin you hate, there be one based on a different breed/species of them or focus on different traits of them. Like Pineco v. Burmy.
>>
>>27667551
I am convinced of that more and more with each passing day. There's a quality to /vp/ that I can't quite put my finger on.
>>
>>27667775
I'm having trouble understanding your motive in discrediting me. Are you saying that there should be Pokemon with intentionally "bad" designs?
>>
>>27664329

>Mewtwo
>Blaziken
>Gardevoir
>Lucario
>Infernape
>Braixen
>Greninja

Noticing a pattern here? Humanoids are popular among Pokemon fans particularly the older fans, so they figured out the perfect formula for starters.

>Make the first stages small and cute to maximize their marketability to younger fans
>Make the final stages cool/tough-looking humanoids to maximize their marketability to older fans
>>
>>27667818
I'm saying that the bad designs are not necessarily bad. I have no interest in the samefag trio so I won't debate that, but the other example in Klink seems to be a logical progression of a gear monster getting more intricate as it develops. And Magearna exists, so it doesn't prevent there from being more gear monsters.
>>
>>27667885
Not all adults are fans of the bipedal designs you know.
>>
>>27667933
>older fan
>adult
Seems like a bit of a jump.
>>
>>27667891
>Magearna exists, so it doesn't prevent there from being more gear monsters.
Very good point. I stand corrected.

I guess the point I was trying to make in my original post is that, it's very possible to make a full generation of Pokemon that everyone can look forward to for their own reasons, and that it's also integral that they develop at least one starter that everyone can "identify" with.

I'm personally just shocked that they didn't manage to do that this time. I have always liked the designs of just about every starter. However, I'm glad to see that there are tons of people that love the new designs. I'll probably use Rockruff as mine.
>>
>>27668046
>Implying the """leaks""" are real
>>
>>27664511
>sting chameleon
>serperior
Try harder.
>>
>>27668146
In my original post I had said, "With the likelihood of the Chinese leaks".

I do have a certain degree of doubt pertaining to their relevance to a final design. However, I can't lend the presence of the character design in both to sheer coincidence.

An interesting thought on the matter would be, that Gamefreak knows that Mallow was present in those "Leaks" before they announced her.

But you can devise any degree of speculation or conspiracy that you'd like.
>>
>>27666708
gen 1 bias
>>
>>27664812
Queenbee? That's one of the Anchus brothers, Kuwagust to be precise.

Steel >> Steel/Bug >> Steel/Flying(?)
>>
Even though you wrote this in the most autistic way possible I kind of have to agree
>>
File: ZXAKaizemine.jpg (88KB, 311x400px)
ZXAKaizemine.jpg
88KB, 311x400px
>>27668418
He's referring to pic related
>>
File: Mmx3crushcrawfish.jpg (245KB, 666x474px)
Mmx3crushcrawfish.jpg
245KB, 666x474px
Which maverick/mechaniloid would make a cool pokemon /vp/?
>>
File: latest.png (261KB, 460x476px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
261KB, 460x476px
Best starter.
Prove me wrong.
>>
File: blizzard_pensando.gif (542KB, 312x216px)
blizzard_pensando.gif
542KB, 312x216px
>>27668497
All of the Ice ones. Buffalo, Walrus (kinda been done already with Walrein) and the Wolfy one.
>>
>>27668578
Thanks for reminding me of this thing from ZX
What a beast
>>
File: 1465156485270.png (183KB, 851x479px)
1465156485270.png
183KB, 851x479px
>>27668505
The fuck did you say, you little bitch?
>>
>>27668673
Hey look! Topical!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.