[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pokemon Go Racist? USA Today Article

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: pokemongoracist.jpg (40KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
pokemongoracist.jpg
40KB, 534x401px
Written by Allana Akhtar on USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/08/09/pokemon-go-racist-app-redlining-communities-color-racist-pokestops-gyms/87732734/
>>
I've been seeing articles like this for the past two months now. I'm convinced it's just an unfunny joke.
>>
Shit article aside
>Cali now considers a 50% white city white
It's sad to see what's happened to that place
>>
File: 1470683207966.png (301KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1470683207966.png
301KB, 1000x1000px
>>27655416
There are reasons /pol/ is starting to get bigger and influence real life more and retarded shit like this is one of them
>>
The premise of the article is that minority communities have less Pokestops than predominantly white communities.

Oakland and Chicago aren't exactly east bumfuck, but there are sections of the city that are seriously underdeveloped and quite frankly don't have any notable landmarks because gigantic sections of the city are housing housing and more housing

Is the game classist? Maybe. Racist? Grow up
>>
>>27655416
>digital redlining

First microtransgressions, now this BS.

>American racialpolitik
>blacks or hispanics vs white

Why does this matter in a nip's game?

Orientalism is the SJW's final frontier.
>>
>>27655518
Oakland is a shithole that would be bombed from orbit and South Side Chicago as well.
>>
I heard that poorer neighborhoods have less stops and Pokemon because they don't want children to be running around in ghettoes 'n shit, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
>>
>essential service
>>
File: image_1.jpg (355KB, 703x554px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
355KB, 703x554px
>racebait article
Yeah, not clicking that, sorry.
>>
What landmarks are going to be in the hood besides churches?
>>
>>27655518
>>27655534

Arguably if the article hadn't continue into a social justice rant it would have had a good solid point in showing how lazy the devs were in just "copy pasting" the mapping service engine from Ingress.

Rather than putting specific work in building up the mapping system so it can work well for everyone who downloads pokemon go. They just simply jerry-rig it to a previous engine hopping no one would notice.

Obviously the article is click bait for racism but the bigger more subtle issue in the developers design choices still stand.

I wonder how pokemon go works out in areas outside major american and japanese cities/ towns.
>>
>>27656253
Honestly, you're completely fucked if you want to play the game in a rural area. This article does raise a legitimate point about the geographical distribution of portals being very uneven, but completely misses the reason why it's that way. The Pokemon Go stops are copypasted from Ingress's portals, which were placed based on the suggestions of Ingress players a few years ago. If you happened to have someone in your town who played back then, then you've got Pokestops in your area, but the game was very niche, so most places that aren't densely populated got the shaft. Niantic could fix this by allowing Pokemon Go players to suggest new portal locations, which would even things out rather than trying to fit Go's huge playerbase into the areas where a few people played Ingress back in 2013.
>>
File: Aggron.gif (879KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
Aggron.gif
879KB, 500x309px
>>27655416
>Inviting /pol/
Bad idea, OP.
>>
>>27655858
liquor stores
>>
The article does have a point.
>>
>>27655416
No one wants hopped up criminals roaming their neighborhoods playing smartphone games. How is that racist again?
>>
>>27657136
They were supposed to allow for new applications but apparently they've stopped taking them.
>>
>>27655416

Black people dont update google maps or bother sending in ingress portals

this isnt whiteys fault
>>
File: Noivern_(dream_world).png (62KB, 301x244px) Image search: [Google]
Noivern_(dream_world).png
62KB, 301x244px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddN6sFXCxuU
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.