[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are gen 5 starters the most universally disliked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Pokémon.full.777389.jpg (333KB, 1200x844px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.777389.jpg
333KB, 1200x844px
Because I kinda like them, more than gen 1 and 2 at least.
Why does everyone shit on them?
>>
They're boring designs and they're really bad ingame.

I agree that they're better than gen2 but no way they're better than gen 1.
inb4 genwunner
>>
>Fire/Fighting
>>
>>27625397
How so? Fire ganon, smug grass snek, and samurai sea lion are all pretty inventive in my books.
>>
>>27625384
Gen 2 starters are the worst, even worse than Gen 5.

Only failed normalfags like incredibly bland shit like Typhlosion.
>>
>>27625384
I think they get more shit than they deserve, especially Samurott, but they're still the worst imo.
>>
I like Serperior's design but it's ass without its HA. The other two just look bad.
>>
They're certainly better than the leaks of the 7th gen final evosevos
>>
I think design wise, they were okay at best. In game, they were awful to use. As much as I tried, I couldn't use serperior.

Serperior>Emboar>Samurott
>>
>>27625384
They are ugly as fuck and useless.
Gen 5 is the only gen I ditched the starter. Gen 1 is the only one I like all the stages of all starters.

Not even genwunner, gen 5 is actually my favorite despite the shit starters.
>>
>>27625384
>boring monotype for two of them
>the other is the third Fire/Fighting in a row
>shit/bland designs all around
>don't feel as powerful compared to previous starters
>way better alternative options for those types in their debut game
>>
>>27625384
Gen 5 has my favourite grass starter. The rest are kind of meh. Although I do like Oshawott's and Dewott's design.
>>
>>27625444
Never seen trips so wrong
>>
Only gen where I don't like at least one starter
>>
File: 1470586860669.jpg (347KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1470586860669.jpg
347KB, 1500x1500px
Haters be damned serpy is a qt...horrible movepool and needing contrary aside.

No comment on the other 2.
>>
>>27625419
It doesn't matter if the concept is great if the execution is piss poor.
>>
>>27625384
The concepts and theme were okay, but the execution was poor. Switch the leggedness of Samurott and Emboar so that the samurai is on 2 legs and the boar is on 4 and they work out a lot better.
>>
>>27625384
Chesnaught is hated more than any of the gen 5 starters though.

It's not even an insult, it's a fact. The famitsu poll is objective confirmation that Chesnaught is the most hated starter in the world.
>>
File: 1468992499870.jpg (371KB, 742x650px) Image search: [Google]
1468992499870.jpg
371KB, 742x650px
I do like the Gen 5 starters, they're just bad to use in game. Samurott and Emboar are far more usable than Serperior in game though. I tired using one in my B2 run, and I ended up boxing the damn thing because it couldn't pull its weight on the team. Even my Liepard in my Black version managed to hold its own better.
>>
>>27625397
Why do people keep saying they're bad in game? I've used all 3 and the only questionable one is Serperior, but even he was pretty good if you used him right. Emboar and Samurott are just as strong as your standard starter. Why do people think this?
>>
>>27625694
>he
>>
>>27625570
>Have Samurott be bipedal and Emboar be quadruped.
Holy shit this.
>>
>>27625384
Its really the first generation where there are better alternatives offered for all three starters. The starters didnt have any gimmicks or interesting traits to keep
>>
>>27625419
Ganon, that's fucking perfect why didn't I think of it. Thanks
>>
I mean, Serperior was really good with Coil and Leaf Blade in Gen V - I never had any issues using it reliably in boss fights. Definitely prefer the Gen 3 starters though.
>>
- Disappointing final evos
- Boring typings (F I R E / F I G H T I N G, okay, BUT also the other two starters are just mono because why? Because fuck you. Fuck you.)
- Shit stats. Slow and bulky fire/fighting even though it's a terrible defensive typing. Slow and bulky water even though it's just inferior to other mons. Serperior is pure grass but nothing to connect it.
- They have no moves. Serperior has no limbs and they compensate for this by...doing nothing. They do nothing. Serperior gets NO moves to make up for the fact his concept locks him out of 80% of the moves it would otherwise get if it wasn't a snake and wasn't pure Grass.

They are absolutely awful, which is weird since the rest of the dex is probably the best one of all the games.
>>
>>27625694

The thing is, back in the day starters had great stats compared to most stuff you could get before E4.
In gen 5 they introduced a fuckton of easily attainable pokemon with 130+ offensive stats making the starters quickly outclassed.
Look at Chandelure, Darmanitan, Haxorus, Excadrill, etc. all offensive powerhouses that can easily sweep thorough the game. Even before the first gym you could catch a Sawk making your starter immediately useless.
>>
>>27625397
fuck you genwunner
>>
>>27625384
They are a case of "don't judge by the cover" in my experience, which is why I wanted to try them all during many playthroughs in gen 5.
>Emboar
A fucking bro, somehow tanked Surfs from Ghetsis' Hydreigon and beat it, back then I didn't even know I had to fight that asshole.
>Samurott
I really liked its moveset and the design and theme grew on me, never had any problems in battle with it.
>Serperior
Top noth design, shit everything else. I really didn't want to box it, Serperior looks great but there was an Axew right here. Oh well, at least it probably gets love from furfags and vorefags.

Overall I like them all, not my fav set.
>>
Serperior looked pretty bland and not very starter-like.
Emboar was the worst starter idea ever; reused the same typing for the third time in a row, while being infinitely inferior to the other two.
Samurott would've been cool, but Dewott looked way better and people like me wanted something more like it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.