[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people whose first console was a DS or 3ds >there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>there are people whose first console was a DS or 3ds
>there are people whose first Pokemon game wasn't from gen 1
What the fuck lol
>>
ok
>>
alright
>>
what a shit post
who else /4th gen first gen/
>>
Wow, its almost as if people were born after I was born...>>27596124
>>
>>27596124
Gen 6 was my first pokemon game. But I went back to play gen 5.
>>
>>27596280
get fucked 4th genner try to get born quicker !
>>
original DS and Fire Red, not compelled to play gen 1 or 2 ever, what of it?
>>
File: ff.png (319KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
319KB, 700x700px
>>27596124
Reminder that people born in 1996 are 20 this year
>>
File: tmp_4537-1470437333392506736883.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4537-1470437333392506736883.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>27596124
>there are people that didn't care about Pokemon before
>they don't play gen wun
LOL WTF? XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
File: let that sink in.jpg (21KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
let that sink in.jpg
21KB, 480x270px
>>27596338
>girls born in 2000 can be legally fucked in canada
>>
File: 1468866783238.jpg (77KB, 400x551px) Image search: [Google]
1468866783238.jpg
77KB, 400x551px
>>27596323
I was born in '92 asshat. Gen 1 was my fitst
>>
>>27596375
post gameboy for entry into secret club.
>>
>>27596124
I always wanted a GBC. Instead I had a GBA and eventually an SP when it came out
>>
>>27596124
Sorry i'm not an old fart, OP. :)
>>
Post the list of handheld devices that you've played Pokemon on when they were contemporary:

>Gameboy Pocket
>Gameboy Color
>Gameboy Advance
>Gameboy Advance SP
>Gameboy Micro
>Nintendo DS
>Nintendo DS Lite

Comfiest system award goes to:
>Playing Sapphire on my Micro under the bedsheets on school nights in elementary school
Honorable mention:
>Playing Blue on my Gameboy Pocket at grandma's house in the late 90s
>>
>>27596483
>DS
>3ds
My parents didn't buy me a gameboy or Gameboy advance when I was younger
>>
>not playing on original ugly green screen game boy
>>
>>27596338
Yes, my birthday was two days ago, thank you
>>
>>27596124
It's okay, OP. Everyone gets old, we're here for you in this trying reality check moment of your life.
>>
>>27596124
>gbc
You mean you didn't start with the original big brick with puke green screen gameboy?
What the fuck lol
>>
>>27596562
I never had the brick dog. it was so shit. I had the pocket though, which was shit as well. It didn't survive the years
>>
>>27596575
>original gameboy
>shit
Get the fuck out, kiddo.
>>
>>27596280
Thats no excuse not to start a series from the beginning.
>>
>>27596124
Wow. Time progresses, OP. Did you know that?
>>
>>27596593
the brick was a piece of shit though. the display was terribly lit and had no color. and it was fucking enormous. It existed when I was around, I literally didn't want it
>>
>>27596605
So if you didn't start from the first of the series, you're not allowed to be a true fan... then, why you not playing muh japanese Pokémon Midori Version then, huh?
>>
>>27596124
>there are people whose first Pokemon game wasn't from gen 1
I'm 28 and sometimes I refuse to believe there are people younger than me on this board.
>>
>>27596627
>terribly lit
Considering that wasn't fixed until the SP, I don't see how it factors into the GBC being better.
>>
>>27596124
>there are people whose first console was a GBC
>>
>>27596641
right
>>
>>27596575
So you don't know the pain it is to play the brick and bring it to school.
God it was horrible...
>>
>>27596643
I can always tell by how retarded a post is. I never encounter so much stupidity-per-post on other boards. This board truly is a bunch of kids. Which isn't bad or anything, new generation into pokemon is great.

It's just odd to me how people were able to get into pokemon without being exposed to the cultural phenomenon in the 90s.

Like after gen 2 pokemon's cultural significance was decimated, yet all these people got into it at the point. It's interesting.
>>
>>27596605
There is literally no benefit in starting Pokemon from RBY.
And before you get on my case, I started with Blue, I just think they aged like room temperature milk. After all, all pokemon games are pretty much the same, the only difference is better graphics and quality of life improvements, which makes it best to just start with the newest titles.
>>
>>27596169
Gotchu anon
Still remains my fav gen, platinum best game
>>
>>27596605
Why the fuck would anyone play a shitty game with shitty graphics when they can play an updated version?
>>
>>27596691
>opting out of pokemon experience
not a fan
>>
>>27596643
Funny because I'm 26 and based on all the shitpost on this board I assumed most, if not all of the people were all a bunch of angry kids.
>>
>>27596691
>There is literally no benefit in starting Pokemon from RBY
first of all literally doesn't mean what you think it means because starting from the beginning is meritorious on its own. would you start a series of books later during the most acclaimed book? I know it's an apples and oranges comparison but how can you say there's no reason to see WHERE pokemon came from and why it became what it is.

Do you skip the early beatles albums too or something? They give the later discography context.
>>
>>27596605
It is when gen 1 has aged so terribly. If I was a youngster starting out on Ds, or even the 3ds, I would've skipped them to be honest. The best thing about them is the chiptune soundtrack
>>
>>27596688
Because Pokemon has always been a mainstream popular video game series, it's never been "dead" or a niche cult hit.
It wasn't an overwhelming phenomenon with literally every kid hearing about it after Pokemania died, but if you are into video games, it's not hard to be exposed to Pokemon.
>>
yfw gen 1 was my first but that's because my first pokemon game was firered : ^ )
>>
>>27596731
And you can do that just as well by starting with FRLG and not suffering through shitty graphics and clunky mechanics.

Someone doesn't need to track down vinyl records of the early Beatles albums to catch up, listening to the albums on Youtube is just as good.
>>
>>27596735
you probably hate history class too
>>
>>27596483
Gameboy Color (Aqua)- Pokemon Gold
Gameboy Advance- Sapphire
GBA SP- Sapphire/Emerald
Gameboy Micro- Emerald, Fire Red
DS Lite- Diamond, Plat
3DS- Heartgold

Comfy award going to Gameboy Micro.
>>
>>27596769
except listening to the beatles record on vinyl and on youtube would be the exact same music ?
fire red and regular red are really fucking far apart in features, functionality, and style. they aren't substitute. and I would buy this argument for HGSS over GSC but we are talking about the FIRST pokemon game.
>>
>>27596794
Why would you want to put yourself through the agony of the original games when you can choose not to though?
>>
>>27596833
because you hate pokemon
>>
>>27596794
And what benefit does the older style have?
What, specifically, is so very important to experience here and is exclusive to RBY?
Try looking at those games without your nostalgia goggles, they're ugly and outdated and likely to run people away from the series if it's their first game in the series.
>>
>>27596845
What about that means that you hate Pokemon?

And are you saying that people who played the first games but abandoned the franchise until the Pokemon Go bandwagon came along are 'better fans' than people who picked up RSE and played every game since them?
>>
>>27596833
If those games are an agony for you then it is just a matter of taste. I played blue when it came out and again a month ago and it was still a wonderful experience. Good games are good games. Should I skip donkey kong country because it was remade ? Fuck no those games are amazing !
>>
>>27596483
>Gameboy advance
>gameboy advance sp
>gamecube
>ds
>3ds
>wiiu

Played blue as my first game on a gameboy but that was when the advance was out
>>
>>27596892
Exactly. If you want to play them and you enjoy them, then go ahead. If someone doesn't want to play them because they'd prefer to play a more updated version, then why chastise them for it?
>>
>>27596867
Agreed. I really don't see why people my age get such a boner for gen 1. I LOVED them when they came out, don't get me wrong. But we have come so far. Its painful to try to go back and play gen 5 again let alone all the way back to 1 again
>>
>>27596906
Chastise is a strong word. Remember there are many people posting in here
>>
>>27596500
>parents it buying you video game equipment for a portion of your childhood

I feel you anon. I was born in 90, my older brother in 89 so we were primetime pokemon age for Gen 1 release. My parents were dealing with toddlers and 4-8 year olds when video game consoles started becoming popular in-house fixtures and until pokemon happened they had a firm no-video games policy.

I remember in the fall of '98 there were two little girls(sister) in my brothers class who came to his birthday party and they got him red and blue for a present--he gave me blue. My mom caved and bought us gameboys so we could play them. Then by christmas time my dad thought the Nintendo-64 was the coolest shit in the world so he snuck one in the christmas present pile and my mom was not happy.

Playing Cruisin' USA with Dad was the shit. I did miss classic Brick-Gameboy era shit though. Wasn't on board until pocket/color because of mom. She would have been oblivious to the whole thing--my dad single handedly saved our childhoods and set it up so that I would become a ruined 26-year old man posting on a chinese image-board for children's games and cartoons in the current year

thanks pops, couldn't have done it without you.
RIP
>>
>>27596927
I know. I was referring to the people who insist that you're not a true Pokemon fan if you refuse to play RBY
>>
>>27596961
I'm not even sure what constitutes a true fan of anything .
>>
>>27596969
Anyone who gets enjoyment from playing any of the games is a true fan
>>
>>27596169
Started with pearl. DS was my first console and I got it pretty late.
>>
>>27596731
I would, because it's fucking music.
I don't need context to enjoy good music.
>>
>>27596907
Same. I'm ashamed to admit I bought all 3 games on 3DS virtual console because I still love, but if I didn't have the childhood nostalgia factor going for me, I couldn't tolerate them. The pokemon sprites are ugly and messy, Pokemon boxes are a real pain with only names and levels visible and you can fill it up and not be able to catch any more pokemon until you switched, Item space is so low and also hard to manage, literally no post game except for Mewtwo, etc.
>>
>>27596969
In my books, if you like something beyond a superficial level, and you want to call yourself a fan, go for it.

I started with Ruby on an emulator and I haven't played anything before then. I know fuck all about EVs and IVs and would never play competitively. I can't remember most of gen 6's Pokemon, and I stopped watching the anime years and years ago. Do I consider myself a fan? Sure.
>>
>mfw no longer have gameboy

I look like a hoennbaby because of this.
>>
>>27596892
The difference is that the DKC remake is not objectively better in every regard.
>>
>>27596124
Tell me OP, what's it like to be Retarded??
>>
File: inigo1.jpg (55KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
inigo1.jpg
55KB, 500x432px
>>27597017
>objectively
stop
>>
>>27596996
Yeah, I bought the 20th anniversary 3ds that came with them are installed. I like playing them for nostalgia too, and I love chiptune. But there are some serious issues to say the least
>>
>>27596993
naturally, just like you wouldn't need to play blue to enjoy omega ruby for instance. but that doesn't mean that it couldn't enhance your overall experience. you don't need context to enjoy any form of art but you'd be lying if it didn't make some things better.
a song that you lost your virginity to will not sound the same as other songs.

as someone who has played EVERY pokemon game, playing them and knowing where they fit in the series and what came before made it a continuing poke saga which would feel better this game then that game then oh they say that's the best game.

you know what I mean man? don't you have passion for things?
>>
File: Froslass.png (146KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Froslass.png
146KB, 512x512px
>>27596483
>Black and white gameboy
>Gameboy color
>Gameboy Advance
>Gameboy Advance SP
>Nintendo DS
>Nintendo DSi
>Nintendo 3DS
>Soon to be New Nintendo 3DS XL

Comfy award goes to playing Emerald on my Sp while sitting on outside on the deck during a rainy day with a blanket and my dog
>>
>>27596338
>tfw turning 20 next month
feels good man
>>
>>27596338
i require sauce
>>
>>27597131
I just don't see what context there is in RBY that FRLG can't provide. All the best parts of Kanto are there.
>>
>be young, catch a ton of pokemon and evolve all my favorites by trading them with my friend in gold

>be ocd and want to put all of them into boxes with the same type so if I need one I can just pick a box and grab whatever type I need

>It fucking saves everytime I change a box

>It fucks the internal clock and the I lose the save and all of my pokemon and progress

Those kids weren't missing out on much other then heartache
>>
>>27597211
it's the first one man. I don't know what to tell you
>>
>>27597240
Do you have an argument for why RBY are worth playing other than "it's the first one"?
>>
>>27597270
I think that's a really really good argument.

Ok, I am a really big james bond fan. seen all the movies, read allthe books.

the first film is dr. No, and if we're being clear, it's not very good. certainly one of the more underwhelming bond films, not even top 5.

BUT it is the first james bond film ever. the first car, the first gun, the first bond girl, the first super villain, the first time he uses catchphrases.

you don't see how that would have any value in appreciating james bond as a franchise? seeing where it started?

this same example applies to pokemon RBY

maybe you just don't give a shit about such a thing. I am a history major and very passionate about art and such
>>
>>27597326
Why didn't you just say you're autistic?
>>
>>27596124
(you)
>>
>>27597358
mean
>>
>>27597222

I miss having to manually change the box.

It was a tedious and I hated it as a kid but now replaying Blue it and boxing items is something I really like.

Especially the items. Unlimited bag is comfy, but running out of space was a lot more immersive. You had to play and prepare for your journey at each town and make sure you had room for new items, make sure you had the right key items, and so on. It's something I was never able to appreciate until now. Though GSC and RSE had a better bag, but I never really ran out of space playing those.
>>
>>27597131
No, I don't.
I take things as what they are.

There are games that are enchanced by playing previous entires in the series, but Pokemon has never been one of them for me.

You sure put a lot of belief in me assuming I'm not a virgin
>>
>>27598165
it was just an example, if you are a virgin I didn't mean to make you feel bad if I did

anyway I see your point since every pokemon game is functionally the same. I guess I see the games are more than games since they were with me every step of my life
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.