[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Pokemon that struck you with awe when you first saw and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 22

File: 250px-302Sableye.png (44KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-302Sableye.png
44KB, 250x250px
ITT: Pokemon that struck you with awe when you first saw and encountered them in game
>(doesn't really count if you had seen them in a leaked dex list first)

I'll start with pic related. For some reason seeing it in Granite Cave in RSE surprised me so fucking much as I'd never seen a Pokemon even close in resemblance to it before.
>>
>>27595299
I felt the same exact way when I first saw it. I never felt the same way again until I accidentally stumbled upon Giratina. Good times.
>>
>>27595335
>>27595299
It oddly had a lasting impact on me as well, so did Giratina, Dusknoir, Regigigas, Arceus, lots of legends honestly, but when it comes to as far as I can remember, one of the first was Lugia
>>
>>27595299
most Gen V Pokemon desu, in retrospect
>>
>>27595299
Tentacruel, not joking.

I was also really young at the time, for some reason I thought it was super rare when I encountered it surfing.
>>
>>27595603
Tentacruel is fucking sick
>>
File: 250px-334Altaria.png (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-334Altaria.png
48KB, 250x250px
>>27595299
Dragonair, Suicune and Ho-oh when I was a kid because colours, dramatic music, implied power, mythological backstory, etc.

Altaria and Mamoswine later on.

Apparently my standards for awe changed. From
>Wow, I'm in the presence of a DRAGON/GOD
to
>hah a bird in a cloud, tip top
>>
For me, it was Mareep on GSC (Can't recall which version, exactly) and Sableye on Sapphire.

On kalos it was my first leagl shiny, Talonflame.
>>
As a kid I was convinced Dunsparce would evolve, so I caught one (thoroughly amazed by it) and trained it, waiting for it to evolve, and brought it to the elite four. It fucking sucked, but I trained it from but a wee level, so I loved it.

Then the fucking cleaners stole my GBC and Gold.
>>
>>27595335
I didn't know Girtina was in that one cave in Diamond. I got lost and kept wandering in there, and then I saw it. It was so cool.
>>
>>27595299
I thought Aron was so cool and badass sicne my Mudkip's tackle did, like, no damage to it. So I caught one and tried using it in Brawly's Gym... That didn't go over so well (I was a dumb kid and didn't really know how important the type chart was, I thought I could just hard-ass it and win with the type weakness like I did with Charmander and Brock, where I just used Ember because Onix had bad special anyway)

I didn't care that Aron failed me in it's first gym battle, failed bad l might I add, I kept training her (it was a female Aron nicknamed Zelda because I thought it looked like an Ocarina from Zelda on N64) and Aron-Lairon-Aggron continues to be one of my favorite Steel and favorite rock types.
>>
File: EX2_EN_98.png (171KB, 245x342px) Image search: [Google]
EX2_EN_98.png
171KB, 245x342px
Raichu for sure. When I first saw him battling Lt. Surge in Pokemon Yellow I was intimidated. I didn't know anything about pokemon besides what I had seen in the game up until that point. Seeing the evolved form of my partner Pikachu was some next level shit. I miss those times.
>>
I went into Ruby/Sapphire blind so it was quite the trip. One notable pokemon from that game was Rayquaza. Finding Sky Pillar, going through the hassle of climbing and biking up Sky Pillar, and finally meeting the biggest, most elaborate overworld sprite I'd seen for a pokemon yet.
>>
>>27595988
>literally the box art Pokemon
>>
>>27596024
>Ruby/Sapphire
>>
File: 1460671070524.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460671070524.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>play Silver for the first time as a kid
>don't really understand the significance of the small cutscene in Burned Tower
>head back towards Goldenrod
>almost immediately encounter Entei in random grass
>almost double the level of my strongest Pokemon
>shit pants
>rinse/repeat with Raikou

By the time I found Suicune I'd connected the dots.
>>
>>27596052
my bad
>>
The only time something like this has ever happened to me was at the end of the Sapphire E4 when Steven suddenly sent out XATM092 in Pokemon form.
>>
File: 250px-376Metagross.png (50KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-376Metagross.png
50KB, 250x250px
>play sapphire
>end of the dex is nothing but kyogre
> play elite 4
>ooh i saw all these pokemon
>go to steven
>skarmory, aggron, claydol, armaldo, cradily yeah yeah
>see this faggot
>one shots most of my pokemon
>fuck you too
>>
>>27595299
The Regi trio amazed the shit out of me when I first found them. It felt really special to me because no other pokemon looked like them and, since I didn't have the internet at the time, I had to figure out all the puzzles on my own (thank fuck I had a dictionary with the braille alphabet in the back). Seeing these weird, almost alien-like golems after hours of trial and error was something magical to me as a kid, like I had really solved an ancient mystery or something.
>>
File: dragonair-500x500.jpg (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dragonair-500x500.jpg
28KB, 500x500px
This little guy.
>>
File: abra.jpg (27KB, 245x173px) Image search: [Google]
abra.jpg
27KB, 245x173px
Also this guy.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 229x220px
And this beauty.
>>
File: Onix.png (34KB, 200x185px) Image search: [Google]
Onix.png
34KB, 200x185px
This dickfag. When I first-encountered him in Brock's Gym, I knew I was fucked.
>>
File: 250px-369Relicanth.png (55KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-369Relicanth.png
55KB, 250x250px
>>27595299
caught relicanth with the master ball in ruby because I thought he was one of the games rarest pokemon.
>>
File: 250px-701Hawlucha.png (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-701Hawlucha.png
48KB, 250x250px
As soon as I saw an NPC call him out, I knew I had to have one
>>
Thanks anons. I can't wait to experience some of this when playing Sun & Moon. It's going to be my first blind Pokémon playthrough (I'm keeping up with officially released information, but I'll go away once the game leaks. Staying away the whole year would be impossible.
>>
File: 051.png (56KB, 206x181px) Image search: [Google]
051.png
56KB, 206x181px
>>27595299
>walk through Diglett Cave with a team around level 20-25
>fucking level 31 Dugtrio out of nowhere that refuses to let you escape and slaughters everything with Dig (basically Protect+EQ in gen 1)
One of the few occasions where a wild Pokemon is a legitimate threat. On a similar note, while it wasn't my first time seeing one, the Hydreigon swooping down from the clear skies in the Kalos Victory Road is just as horrifying if you're not expecting it.
>>
File: 250px-283Surskit.png (24KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-283Surskit.png
24KB, 250x250px
This little guy on the route to the 2nd town in sapphire.
>>
File: dragalge.jpg (167KB, 2048x1524px) Image search: [Google]
dragalge.jpg
167KB, 2048x1524px
This guy, I got Y specifically because of it.

>>27597155

Surskit is a cute!
>>
>>27597155
On further inspection, I've just now looked up that it has a 1% encounter rate on that route. Holy fuck.
>>
>>27595988
This. I remember stumbling into it and losing my shit.
>>
File: Zigzagoon.png (45KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Zigzagoon.png
45KB, 250x250px
>>27595299

Zigzagoon
>>
>>27597155
Yes!
I loved encountering this so early in the game.
I would go on to hunting them a lot.
I loved using it.
>>
File: GRULULU.png (7KB, 124x138px) Image search: [Google]
GRULULU.png
7KB, 124x138px
Lots of the Pokemon in gen 3 felt plain bizarre to look at due to the radical shift in design philosophy around then, but Nosepass took the cake due to its misleading sprite.

You're battling Roxanne and yawning at her unoriginal Geodude, but then she suddenly sends out this unsettling disembodied head that looks nothing like any other Pokemon that you've seen up until then. At that point, you truly realize that Hoenn is a completely new generation of Pokemon.
>>
i stayed away from any leaks/news before gen 5 came out so when i found a sawk i just stared at it for a while... sawk was just so off-putting to me compared to other pokemon in that route
>>
File: Honedge (1).png (40KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Honedge (1).png
40KB, 250x250px
>>27595299
This guy. As soon as I got omega ruby, I transferred him over as my starter. I love this thing
>>
>>27596061
THIS. Those fucking Legendary Gerbils fucked me up so bad. I remember I first ran into Entei on an early route.

That scary, epic music, the sudden new huge ass sprite popping up instead of the shitmons you're used to. God I thought my game had glitched or something.
>>
>>27597406
Why is it whistling?
>>
>>27597155
ma nigga, i used to have this guy too on ruby. Now I got Omegaruby and found him again! Evolved to masquerain with expert belt and is quite useful in doubles
>>
>>27595969
I first saw the Aron family in the TCG and it made me hyped as fuck to catch one in game. I had Ruby, so Mawile really surprised me too
>>
>>27597406
I thought its eyes were open the first time I saw that shit
>>
File: 479.jpg (158KB, 550x820px) Image search: [Google]
479.jpg
158KB, 550x820px
Coming upon Rotom for the first time. Granted, it was mainly because of the fucking music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfbdDCa4uLQ
>>
File: 250px-065Alakazam.png (61KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-065Alakazam.png
61KB, 250x250px
>that's not a Kadabra like mine and it's actually lower level than him
>I guess it's an evil version of him that I must defeat at all costs
I was pretty clueless as a kid
>>
I've never played a pokemon game without seeing the pokemon first. Other than red version, of course.
>>
>>27595299
Rayquaza in Emerald. First legendary battle ever so you know shit was about to go down.
>>
File: glalie.jpg (6KB, 161x148px) Image search: [Google]
glalie.jpg
6KB, 161x148px
Glalie, for some reason.

I'd played RB and GCS as a kid and had fun, but they hadn't really left a huge impression on me. Sapphire was the game where I really got into the franchise. I got to the elite four, didn't really see any surprises, then run into skull face hockey mask ice ball. I didn't find any Snorunt in the course of the game either, so this was all out of left field to me and I thought it was the coolest thing. The same happened with Salamence and Metagross, but for whatever reason Glalie was the one that stuck in my head.
>>
>>27595819
Do you still use Dunsparce?
>>
>>27597155
>Encounter him
>Realize its the the dream bug/water
>Evolves into Bug/Flying
The first ree I did from playing pokemon.
>>
>>27599771
Unless you have Ice Beam/Blizzard for some reason, or just chuck a masterball at it. Then you get to make sweet love to the E4's booty in a truly special experience.
>>
File: download (23).jpg (5KB, 148x144px) Image search: [Google]
download (23).jpg
5KB, 148x144px
This motherfucker right here. I thought it was some super rare / legendary pokemon when I first saw it in Ruby and HAD to catch it.
>>
Is it weird if I can't think of any?
>>
>>27601325
What about Alomomola
>>
>>27595299
Palkia.

Lugia? Psh, Lugia already got wrung out by the time I played Silver.
Groudon? Wow, it's real sunny. Great work.

Palkia? Is... that a little galaxy? Well, Apeshit, I think you might be out of your league this time. (battle starts) That music, that cry!
>>
>>27595299

It's reactions like this being the reason I'm going dark on SM news from now on. Would have been cool to encounter that PikaGhost mon for the first time in-game.
>>
>>27595988
Same. Ruby being one of my first Pokemon games and seeing that huge dragon at level 70, I knew I was screwed.
>>
Mareep and ledyba.
I was clueless after red. No internet at that time and age. The only new pokemon I had seen until then were lugia on the box art, totodile my starter, chickorita the opposite starter and sentret which is cute but plain.
I also love electric types. Wheb I first saw mareep, oh gawd, an electric sheep. I almost peed my pants. I was playing in the car while mom was taking care of some stuff. I was so hyped she thought something happened to me.
I'm 28 now and I still remember that moment as clear as if it had happened 30 mins ago.

Ledyba wad unique too and so cute I couldn't wait for it to evolve even though I had no proof that it would. When you are young you believe stuff just because. You don't need leaks and reminders.
Good times!
>>
>>27595299
>(doesn't really count if you had seen them in a leaked dex list first)
I seen every Pokemon through that, so I can't participate whatsoever then, apparently.
Only R/B would count, but I was too young to remember. But since I also had seen most through the Anime and the Pokedex posters.... well, I guess that ain't counting either.
>>
>>27602056
>No internet at that time and age.
To elaborate on that, people just used magazines.
>>
>>27595299
I would post, but you already said it. I guess legendaries don't count, so its just him. Sableye was so oddly placed and surprising, I had to catch him, and then I thought it was the best pokemon ever because of having no weaknesses. I still ave the one I used to beat the E4 with, but it sucks so I don't even dare use it for anything other than the maison
>>
>>27596834
Looks like an Indian Mew.
>>
>>27602208
No magazines either.
I don't live in the US or the UK.
Pokemon games and anime did exist in my country but not in such extent that guides etc were published. No events etc
>>
>>27602277
I live in Germany and we had magazines. Did you live in a third-world country or something?
>>
Playing Pearl when I was a kid, I was honestly caught off guard by Regigigas. The Regis were all Pokemon I had transferred over from Emerald, so bringing them to the statue and having it come to life was a fucking experience.
>>
Rayquaza, I had spent the longest not knowing how to get into Sootopolis and then the Sky Pillar, so seeing this giant dragon swoop down and take out these two legendaries was fucking cool.

Other than that, Chespin, it was the first time since Treecko where I knew I had to pick it as my starter. Shame it's evolutions sucked.
>>
>>27602293
I live in Greece.
If I believe the media that's about what you think of us. ;-)

On topic, though, I don't think it's about the country. It's more about popularity. Maybe it wasn't that popular for toy makers and child magazine publishers to deal with. At least for a time. No internet then so a few things took some considerable time to reach us.
>>
>>27595299
When i found fug by accident on my ruby when i was like 12. It was fucking amazing.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.