[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (3KB, 512x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3KB, 512x511px
What was/is the worst mechanic in Pokemon games? Try to ignore QoL things such as running.

I'll start: TMs being single use things you only get once
>great move that can make shitmon with garbage level up moves decent
> hundreds of mons in any game
>you get to use it ONCE and never get another
>not to mention the autism trip of having one missing in your case

Just think of all the kids who didn't know better and wasted a great move on a garbage Pokemon they never use past midgame. Was ecstatic when TMs became permanent
>>
IVs. Easily. Sun/Moon thankfully made it far more acceptable.
>>
IVs by a long shot
hms in general they could have made the gim leaders teach you how to make your pokemon do whatever hm move according to the gym and not waste a move slot
>>
>>27593606
Eh, they really don't affect regular gameplay against the AI. They are just added autism for older players doing PvP
>>
anything that makes the game remotely challenging, easy, or inconvenient
so i guess being forced to battle people
>>
>>27593577
I agree with one shot TMs but I'm gonna go with HM moves. It wouldn't be bad if the moves didn't suck, Surf was ok I guess, but the rest were shit. Sure love needing Flash and Rock Smash in my lineup, or cut myself down to 5 Pokemon for a slave
>>
Safari Game
>>
>>27593717
Are you trying to imply single shot TMs were challenging?
>>
>>27593577
I agree OP, and was glad they changed that up in gen 5, but I can see on how making them not infinite make the game less challenging. On how I see it, people play Pokemon for three main things: to have a comfy journey with the Pokemon they train, to have a challenging journey with possibly nuzlocke added in, or just to build up a legitimately made competent Pokemon team ready for any battle.

Let's say you have three Pokemon that can use an Earthquake TM well, but only one or none can learn EQ. Today you can just give it the TM to all of them and worry even less about Electric, Steel, Rock, Poison, and Fire types quite easily, but before you had to choose wisely on who would need it even more: like giving it to one who can't learn it, or the one who needs the more varied current move pool. So perhaps GF could reintroduce difficulty settings and certain toggle options like having the game make TM finite or not, but have at least every single one be buyable.
>>
>>27593790
>tfw your first Safari Game is super fun as you catch tons of new Pokemon that are at a decent level for that point in the game
>then you have to do it 50 more times for those 3 Pokemon who are set as rare spawns with a high chance to flee

Ruins it
>>
>>27593829
Ok, I can see your point. Perhaps a solution could be TMs are one use until you clear the game? At that point you are playing collector and may want to make a new team with decent moves
>>
>>27593829
Yes, but they actually balanced this change with the fact that you get fewer TMs, that are mostly shitmoves or status moves. Some are good but come around the 4th-5th gym or so, and it's just 60 power coverage moves.

Gamefreak did great gamedesign with infinite TMs.
>>
Game specific Pokemon
>>
>>27594041
Yea thinking about it now this is true. All the good TMs required lots of grinding for points in B2W2
>>
>>27593882
I'd actually love this

>>27593577
Non worldwide WiFi events
>>
>>27593577
Absolutely OP. I had such a fucking boner when the clone glitch in Emerald was found, I could finally give my favorite Pokemon moves that didn't suck.

>that was 10 years ago

Where does the time go?
>>
>>27593577
>>27593606
>>27593672
>>27593751
>>27594255
all of these
the rest are autistic
>>
IVs have always been a shit idea.
>>
>>27594116
This hasn't been an issue since Diamond and Pearl m8.

>need common as fuck game specific Pokemon
>put common as fuck game specific Pokemon from your game into the global trade and get it instantly
>>
>>27594341
Yeah, if you happened to be playing the games before the GTS servers were inevitably taken offline.
>>
>>27594341
I think in white it was impossible to find vullaby by either encounter or trainer so completing a unova dex by gts didn't work
>>
>>27593717
A L O M O M O L A
>>
>>27594378
Oh, didn't know they were offline

Not surprising Since the game is almost 10 years old though
>>
>>27594518
They were taken offline when the games were much younger than that.
>>
>>27594610
Well that's life with a Nintendo product. Splatoon lost support right at the 1 year mark. Servers aren't kill yet though
>>
>>27593577
Playing through Yellow on 3DS; I'd have to say Gen I Bind/Fire Spin/Clamp. Can't do anything for the duration, essentially stunned.
>>
Everything after gen 1
>>
>>27594917
Gen 1 had the worst mechanics in the series by far. Of course your just shitposting so my opinion doesn't matter to you.
>>
>>27595159
I just meant the Pokemon, yea the mechanics needed work
>>
>>27595260
>Talks shit about post-Gen 1 Pokemon in a "Worst mechanic in Pokemon games?" thread.
Why?
>>
Not being able to change nicknames
>>
>>27595318
The only thing genwunners are familiar with are the designs. I've tried talking about mechanics with them before both online and in real life and unsurprisingly, the discussion went nowhere. They just brought up "ice cream trash bag".
>>
>>27593577
HM's needing to take up moveslots. I don't mind needing to get certain Pokemon to make progress through the game, but having to fill them up with trash moves is annoying as fuck.

They should just rename Surf and Fly and make them TMs and make all the HM moves stuff that you can select from a Pokemon's menu or in context-sensitive situations. I'm tired of having to keep Cut and Strength on Pokemon that have no business using those moves.
>>
>>27595508
Ice cream paint job?
>>
Trade evolutions
>>
>Moves having PP

Like... many J-RPG now tend to erradicate magic points (Final Fantasy, Tales of...) so why Pokémon still keeping them?
>>
>>27596346
>why can't I spam the best moves non stop
>>
>>27595560
>implying any Pokemon should have cut or strength
>>
PC boxes are still redundant in including deposit/withdraw separately, but

>you needed to save the game to move pokemon in the PC at one point
>>
>>27593577
Randomness during fights.
>>
>>27593882
I could see this happening like a TM becomes a "Used TM" after teaching it or something like that, then once you beat the E4, you get a key item that lets you reuse your TMs
>>
>>27596100
Have to agree, they never worked as intended
Expectation
>hey man I can't find Haunter I'll trade my X for yours
>cool man I want one of those
>OH HOLY FUCKED HAUNTER EVOLVED

Reality
>hey can some swap all these trade evos with me?

Everyone knows which ones are trade evolution so it was no surprise. Just added a frustrating extra step to get some decent Pokemon
>>
Friend safari in X and Y would've been cooler... if I had friends
>>
Mediocre Pokemon with incredibly specific spawn credentials.

It's been awhile so forgive me if I'm forgetting others, but the only one I think of with this issue was Feebas in RSE. Literally why?
>>
>>27596346
Because Pokémon doesn't have my or stamina. There needs to end something limiting the power of moves. Plus if you got rid of pp, part of thevery challenge of the elite four dissappears
>>
>>27600929
I'll add a bonus round
>Pokemon with specific spawn credentials are made incredibly common in future games
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.