[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Latest Alolan Variant: The Crystal Onix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

Dear /vp/,

The Hype turns out to be real and against all odds Gamefreak decides to give the gen 1 babies what they want: a Crystal Onix Variant and they've put YOU in charge of fleshing it out within the games mechanics.

What Typing, Moves, Abilities or even Held Items and so on and so forth would you give this new variant?
>>
>>27579767
copy and paste mega steelix, call it a day
>>
File: breakin the law.jpg (191KB, 804x772px) Image search: [Google]
breakin the law.jpg
191KB, 804x772px
>>27579767
Water/Steel
Ability: Filter
BST
HP:55
ATK:65
DEF:100
Sp.Atk:10
Sp.Def:85
Speed:70
>>
TFW Alolan Khangaskan is the fucking Baby
>>
Probably ice/steel since it was shown to be weak to fire, and either have no weakness or a resistance to water. The typing also makes sense with its design. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely we'll get one considering Alolan Sandslash now shares that typing.
>>
>>27580670
ice steel is not resistant to water
>>
>>27580670
never stopped them before, honestly
>>
>>27580704
>either have no weakness or a resistance to water
>no weakness

>>27580712
Fair enough.
>>
>>27580670
>The typing also makes sense with its design.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that if only because I think the 2nd Anon's suggestion has really grown on me: Water/Steel.

Especially since it was depicted explicitly enjoying/habituating in an aquatic environment- they just found the darn thing relaxing and maxing in it's own swimming pool.

For that matter: I'm not as well-read on pokemon abilities as I should be, but you guys remember how the Crystal Onyx was TRANSPARENT while it was in the water due to the crystal passing light?
Any idea what ability that could translate into? It was so fucking cool.
>>
>>27580923
Sounds just like vaporeon
>>
>>27580923
Honestly, I like the water/steel typing better myself. I opted for ice/steel instead to be consistent with the weakness to fire shown in the anime.

To be honest, I need to bush up on abilities too. Clear Body maybe? A new ability would be interesting as well.
>>
>evolves into obsidian steelix
>Steel/Fire
>>
>>27580923
>>27581026

To add to that, I meant that it suits the design well enough to work. Grass would have made more sense in context of its strengths and weaknesses, but not with the design.
>>
>>27581026
>Honestly, I like the water/steel typing better myself. I opted for ice/steel instead to be consistent with the weakness to fire shown in the anime.

Maybe give it the ability Dry Skin?
"Fire-type attacks do 25% more damage to a Pokémon with Dry Skin."
"When a Pokémon with Dry Skin is hit by a Water-type move, its HP is restored by one quarter of its maximum HP, and the move will have no effect on that Pokémon (if a Pokémon with this Ability already has full HP, the Water-type move will do nothing). "
>>
>>27579767
Why does the Crystal Onix make you so butthurt, anon?
>>
>>27581056
>evolves into obsidian steelix
>Steel/Fire

That would be genuinely INCREDIBLY fucking cool and I'm upset that most likely will never happen.

Especially if it had the signature magma themed fire attack Lava Plume.
>>
>>27581076
Wow, actually, that's an excellent idea.
Maybe give it a new identical ability with a different name? We tend to see that happen anyway.
>>
>>27580918
No weakness to water you mong, not no weaknesses in general
>>
>>27581059
>>27581026
>>27580923
>>27580550

Being slightly autist if only to keep the thread discussion going but:

Crystal Onix primary typing would be STEEL and it's secondary water, so; STEEL/Water.

Also despite this typing I'd still imagine it would have mostly rock and steel type moves with the exception being perhaps Aqua Tail?
>>
>>27581076
>>27581182
Just had an idea for the ability. Scratch the idea of renaming Dry Skin. Instead, it could just have dry skin and another ability that better suits it.

Idea for a new ability:

Ability: Refraction (could also be called prism)
Not damaged by attacks containing "beam"

Explanation: Refraction changes the direction of beams of light. Prisms, which are built to refract light, are often built out of crystalline materials.
>>
>>27581362
Sorry, should have phrased that more clearly.

The comment which I was replying to implied that I had said the typing I chose was strong against water. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that I had also said a typing that had no weakness to water would also work.
>>
>>27581525
Fuck, that was also worded kind of weird.
Nevermind, I tried.
>>
>>27581363
Ha, that's fine. If no one posts before I post this I'll have three comments in a row. Sorry, didn't recheck the original comment for the typing, only the one that I was replying to.

Anyway, yeah, I can see that.
>>
>>27581588
Fuck, I meant 4.
Oh well, 5 now I guess.
>>
>>27580923
+Evasiveness in the Rain. Is immune to and gains Evasiveness when hit by a Water attack. :^)
>>
Since it's made of lead glass, then it would likely be Steel-type, which would work since it was weak to fire in the anime. It makes sense for it to be somewhat fragile: maybe swap around its defense and special defense. I think it'd be interesting if they went a step further, and swapped around the attack/special attack stats for Crystal Onix and Steelix and market them as a special-focused variant: let it learn more special moves, like Power Gem or Mirror Shot.

If we're making it accurate to how it was in the anime, then it should probably resist water somehow. I like the idea of it having an ability like Dry Skin, like that other anon suggested, but I'm not sure how you'd contextualize that specific ability, and losing health in sunlight doesn't really make sense for it. They could amp up the 'glasswear' comparison and give it something like Rain Dish or Water Absorb, which could tie into a lead poisining gimmick for it or something: like, it stores water inside of its body, lead is leached into the water, which it can then spit out and use to poison other Pokemon. They could maybe even give it a new ability that gives it a chance to poison Pokemon with Water-type moves or something as well.

As for Steelix, something like this >>27581056 would be awesome.
>>
>>27579767
Ice/Rock
Weak Armor
Take points out of Speed to give it a bit more HP
>>
>>27582223
>Ice/Rock
>Ice
>Glass=Ice

100% Certified goofus.
>>
>>27581116
Do you think megas will remain the same for Alolan pokemon ?
>>
Alolan Onix
Steel/Dragon
Sturdy/Clear Body HA: Wonder Skin
give it +100/+75 BST split evenly between HP and ATK. Done.
Resistant to water, neutral to fire so it's still taking more damage comparatively. Didn't even know Wonder Skin was a thing until I looked up abilities, but it seemed to fit.
>>
>Ice
>Evolves into Crystal Steelix Steel/Ice
>"Just fuck my shit up senpai"

Living underground in a volcanic region would make them more susceptible to higher heat pressures which would validate a fire subtyping as well

Steel/Fire Steelix sweeper when?
>>
>>27582318
Not him but the word 'crystal' is derived from refers to both 'ice' and 'rock crystal'
>>
>>27582365
>Do you think megas will remain the same for Alolan pokemon ?

Most likely, yeah.

I'm not sure though if we'll see any "new" megas since it looks like they're investing all their creative energy and time into variants and new pokemon (which I'm not complaining about), but if they do bring in more I won't complain.
I don't even like Megas (I feel they're too digimon-esque and clash with the general atmosphere of pokemon) but if they're going to have them I'd rather they keep them instead of quietly forgetting they never existed.

My only hope is that Variants become an "every game" thing. I fucking love that they're finally doing variants- I want region variants for every region now.
>>
Ice/Rock
Snow Cloak
>>
File: 957[1].jpg (40KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
957[1].jpg
40KB, 640x360px
>>27582491
>Ice/Rock

You're just doing this on purpose now.
>>
>>27582447
If they do them forevery region, I just hope it won't repeat the same pokémon too much. Like even for Alola, I hope it won't just be gen 1 pokémon.
>>
Make it pure Rock.
Swap its Attack with its Special Attack, and maybe its Defense with its Special Defense.
ability is kind of tough. If you want to do an existing one, I think >>27581026 is onto something with Clear Body

>>27581459
Refraction is a good novel one. Could probably use a more "video gamey" name like Prism Guard as the English abilities tend to have (e.g. Herbivore -> Sap Sipper)

Another novel one that I've seen in create-an-ability threads would be Glimmer (or similar): lowers opponent's accuracy when it enters, a la intimidate.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.