[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is story everything?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1407971638682.png (45KB, 385x264px) Image search: [Google]
1407971638682.png
45KB, 385x264px
Unovafag here. I just got done playing through Leaf Green and something came to me as I was playing it. Is story REALLY all that important to Pokemon?

I enjoyed the story presented by Gen 5, it's part of the reason I'm Unovabortion. But when I think about what makes a Pokemon game fun, I think of collecting monsters and exploring. At times I'm frustrated when the game pulls me in another direction because muh story arc but at other times I like the feeling of wanting to learn more about the goals of the villain or the ambitions of the main characters.

To summarize... What would you prefer /vp/?
>collect monsters and explore with little to no story dictating the pace of the game
>more investment in story in order to pull the player in
>>
I think it's better to have the feeling of wanting more than to be given all the exposition the new games give.
>>
>>27539517
Part of why Gen 1 and the remakes were good is that it felt like you were just a normal person rather than a hero with all the mystical magical stuff of the later games. It helped with the suspension of disbelief.
>>
Story is one part of the equation.
At times, pokemon collecting without substance bore me to death.
For example XY. It had everything for pokemon capturing. Big region with multiple pokedex index and well design map. The story of XY was okayyy, but NO PERSONALITY. I had more fun in the Looker-arc than the ingame "press a to proceed" gameplay.
>>
I feel like lore plays into both aspects of story and aspects of collecting and it doesn't have to be strictly about gameplay vs story. A lot of games disassociate their story and gameplay, so it's easier to choose one or the other. But if you're collecting, you run across Pokemon, who each have their little individual stories, which sometimes plays into a bigger role of your main story.
>>
Only story I enjoyed was Gen 4, and a majority of that was because it had implied stories you didn't come across mandatorily. 1 and 2 kept the story simple and succeeded at that. 3's is where things sort of went wrong and I dislike its story. 5 was okay but the "story" was really just one long simplistic look at an aspect of Pokemon with a final villain that didn't even care about the question. Like 3 the story got too involved with events for my taste. 6 was basically a less intrusive but less intriguing version of 3 and 5. I realize that it's inevitable, but I wouldn't mind if Gen 7 just didn't have an evil group.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.