[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vp/ think of gen 4? My personal favorite gen, curious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (35KB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 250x180px
What does /vp/ think of gen 4? My personal favorite gen, curious what the general opinion of it is.
>>
At its worst, it was unmemorable, but to say it was bad is a stretch. Really decent gen. Not my favorite, but I'd take it over 5 any day.
>>
D/P weren't all that great. Pt was awesome. HG/SS was ok. Best part of Gen 4 was the cross gen evos. Other than that most of the pokemon were mediocre.
>>
Pokedex was shit region was nice
>>
>>27519361
Region design was okay, but could've done with less mandatory Mt Coronet jaunts. Game Freak went in the complete wrong direction addressing complaints in Gen 5 and 6.

Battles were slow as fuck.

Gym Leaders and Elite Four were unmemorable and consisted of types that had no or next to no Sinnoh mons.

Mons were largely unmemorable outside of a few greats.

The UI was an inconsistent clusterfuck that had each sub-menu designed by a different person who had no contact with the other designers.

HGSS was god-tier, so overall I'd give the whole gen a 5/10.
>>
I hate the region itself.

Also the gen was awful before Platinum was introduced.
>>
>>27519361
DP was OK
But Platinum and HG/SS were fantastic.
>>
Unlike the gen 1/2/3 remakes, I think Gen 4 actually NEEDS a remake.
>>
platinum is the best game in the franchise
it even has a thread up right now specifically dedicated to hating on it
>>
>>27519578
This
>>
Gen 4 was shit besides online and johto remakes

Shit dex
Shit region
HMs up the ass
Legendaries up the ass
Shitmons up the ass

I look down on sinnohfetuses who dare flaunt D/P/Plt
>>
It's so

slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>27519578
>implying it'll use anything from Platinum
>>
>>27519532
Yep

Had some of the better gym leader battles and (in Platinum at least) an interesting E4 and Champion.

It had the worst regional dex of any game.
>>
>>27519630

Anything a remake changes from DP is an automatic improvement.
>>
>>27519589
>platinum gets a hate thread
>that means its the best

Huh are you retarded by any chance
>>
The map is a complete mess. It doesn't flow correctly and easily like most other regions. In sinnoh, you have to take many detours and everything is in completely random places.

I remember specially the case with the sixth gym city. It's not hard to find... but the nearest city with another gym is the city with the fucking first gym. And it's not a viridian city kind of thing, you never visit the sixth gym city before.
>>
>>27519725
Because the Hoenn spiral isn't exactly the same.
>XY underage confirmed.
>>
>>27519361
I liked the region, but the pokemon were awful and the game felt slow and boring as fuck. Also way too many HMs, jesus fuck.
>>
>>27519361
I'm a "genwunner" apparently but gen 4 were the GOAT games. And gen 2 were the most memorable.

Reallly enjoyed diamond pearl platinum
>>
File: 1470103603565.jpg (29KB, 720x804px) Image search: [Google]
1470103603565.jpg
29KB, 720x804px
Fucking loved this gen. The she story about creation and one man wanting to destroy the universe and recreate it like some edgy god was cool as fuck.

Plus I loved the end-game area where you traveled through the desert/battle resort thing. And being able to fight gym leaders in that bar thing. Good times man.
>>
>>27519578
Agreed
>>
D/P got me back into the series, since I skipped 3rd gen as it came out during my "I'm to old and cool for Pokemon" middle school years. Platinum was also fantastic. I have a soft spot in my heart for it.
>>
It's really great but a bit boring. I agree with many anons here that the dex was a shit, but GF excepted us to play it with the GBA cartbridges to get rare Pokemon, that way the game is better but still.
I love many of its pokemon and legendaries.
>>
The fact that a good chunk of the new pokemon (all those legendaries and most of the cool cross gen evos) were unavailable til post E4 is unforgivable. People complain about not being able to get Houndoom til Kanto in GS - DP is much guiltier of that sin.
>>
TOO MANY HMs
>>
Great music, decent gym leaders (especially earlier ones), and my favorite Champion. Exploring the region felt like an adventure, and the underground feature was a lot of fun.

With that said, I wish the regional dex had more variety and HMs weren't such a hassle to use.
>>
Comfy region. A lot of forgettable pokemon. Overall one of my favourites
>>
>>27519646
this is reddit
>>
The slowness and terrible UI killed it for me. Not even Platinum could fix them.
>>
>>27519361
Had I not played Platinum I'd probably hate sinnoh. Mount Coronet being central to the region was interesting even if I dislike going into it.

Went over board on legendaries even it they didn't go wrong with any of them. I do feel Heatran and Shaymin should have just been special interactable mon instead of legendary as their whole story wasn't great
>>
Pearl was actually my first mainstream pokemon game
Honestly, I feel like the only bad things about gen 4 are the massive amounts of HMs, the bad dex and the slow battles. If the eventual remakes fix those, I think it'd be one of the better remakes.
>>
File: 1385058814544.jpg (112KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1385058814544.jpg
112KB, 500x375px
D/P/Plat
Loved the region.
Loved the characters.
Loved the new pokemon.
Loved the music.
Disliked the Square-Enix fight God story.

HG/SS:
Loved everything.
Loved the lead pokemon following you.
Loved the Shiny Leaf extra
>Fun fact, the data for the Shiny Leaf status stayed in the .pkmn file into Gen5. From G5 to G6, the data is lost. It is a shame G5 was so against ribbons, would have liked one for getting the full crown.
ESPECIALLY Loved how fast the ingame menus moved.
>>
>>27520643

Hoenn had two distinct areas in the continent and for most of the first half you could only move in a square-like pattern with a passage in the middle, making movement simpler and easier.

Even the first 5 gyms are placed in a circular manner, please. The only moment where I remember you have to backtrack or do weird things is when you have to go the submarine thingy and Mt. Pyre. Doesn't even compare with D/P.

At least they fixed some of the problems in Platinum.
>>
>>27519361

Second worst gen of games to start, improved with Pt/HG/SS (but D/P were the first DS Pokemon games, to be fair)

Best region in terms of design, despite the Mt. Coronet drag.
>>
Had best music, cool leaders, nice region, best rivals.

I can't be the only one that loved Dawn and Barry? When we gathered into Conclave Library and then went off to the different lakes, it felt badass. We were like Rowan's Angels.
>>
>>27519361
Plat and HGSS are both fantastic. The biggest region and the best region.
>>
File: 1465532822813.webm (466KB, 492x538px) Image search: [Google]
1465532822813.webm
466KB, 492x538px
It was the best region yet <3

Needed more fire Pokemon, but because of its location I can see why there isn't much.
>>
>>27519361
I liked the region, but that's about it
>>
The region's great, you have a real sense of adventure during the game but other than that it's just ok

Battles were slow, most characters were forgettable and not many of the new Pokemon were anything special, there's no denying that Platinum is fantastic though
>>
The region is the best region in the series and the plot, while still somewhat lacking as most Pokemon games' plots are, blows every other game's plot out of the water. Probably the best true "adventure" out of the main series games.

The main dex designs were mostly very strong, I wish they toned down the number of Cross-gen evos and legends at the end of the dex and just stuck to adding original lines of Pokemon [especially fire types].

HGSS is my favorite Pokemon game [with DP/Pt close behind], so if that's included in 'Gen 4', then it's easily my favorite gen.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.