[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Trusting some random, no-name company with one of your most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: niantic.png (32KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
niantic.png
32KB, 512x512px
>Trusting some random, no-name company with one of your most treasured IPs.

What was Nintendo thinking?
>>
>>27453389
money
>>
nothing because it isnt their IP?
>>
>>27453389
Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon, it has part ownership of TPCi along with GameFreak and Creatures Inc (I think) and TPCi holds the rights to the property.
Plus, Niantic haven;t been given free reign over actual games, they've been allowed to put Pokemon in their 'this will take up my time while I wait for my GF to finish trying on dresses' app and it's not only free publicity for the series, but they've made money from it too... So... Fuck off.
>>
>>27453413

Yes it is you idiot. Do you also think Kirby isn't a Nintendo IP either?
>>
>>27453389
>Nintendo
>directly owns Pokemon

>Niantic is Google affiliated, originally being a part of Google. and has worked on a mobile game using map data before
>random, no-name

(you)
>>
>>27453389
>random, no-name company

Niantic started as an internal unit of Google. It was only split off a few months ago, and Google is still a major investor and partner.

For all intents and purposes, think of it as Nintendo trusting Google with one of its major properties.
>>
>>27453610
if this isn't bait and i hope it is
nintendo doesn't own pokemon, the pokemon company does
>>
>>27455025

That's actually incorrect. Nintendo owns the Pokemon IP, and licenses it to The Pokemon Company, which exists solely as a brand management company.
>>
>>27453505
If your "free publicity" means that everyone owning a smartphone will think that your game is a poorly-made shit, then it's NOT good "bad publicity".especially since everyone can try it and see how awful if it since it's free.
>>
>>27453389
They should have given Pokemon to activision
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 300x168px
>>27453389
They thought
>well if Google trusts the CEO to make a map of the world...
Turns out the same guy uses "nopass" for his password on Twitter and got hacked and hadn't done damn thing for hours.
https://twitter.com/johnhanke
>>
>>27455451

"Free publicity" as in "this game is kind of shitty, but now I remember how much I used to like Pokemon, and everybody is talking about it, and isn't there a new Pokemon game coming out soon? Maybe I'll get that, even though I haven't played an actual Pokemon game in 10 years."
>>
>>27454991
Its been well over a year since Niantic split off from Google. The split itself happened around the same time Google was being restructured to fall under "Alphabet" Google's "parent" company.

Niantic was given a choice to either be part of the restructuring and run under Alphabet or to take their shit and leave. At the same time there have been talks between Niantic and Nintendo because of the 2014 Google Maps April Fools gag where Google joined up with Nintendo/TPC to hunt down pokemon on maps.

Niantic saw the potential revenue of a joint venture with Nintendo/TPC and split from Alphabet/Google to be their own company. Their entire survival of a company is dependent on the success of GO, and if all else fails they will either be bought back by Alphabet or absorbed into Nintendo.
>>
>>27453389
Wynaut
>>
>>27455727
>Its been well over a year since Niantic split off from Google
It was October 2015. That's not "well over a year," that's slightly under a year.

>Niantic was given a choice to either be part of the restructuring and run under Alphabet or to take their shit and leave
>Their entire survival of a company is dependent on the success of GO, and if all else fails they will either be bought back by Alphabet or absorbed into Nintendo.
Source? That sounds interesting.
>>
>>27455555
Said no one ever.

No one is going to go out of their way to buy a handheld gaming device for Pokemon in this day and age. GO was meant to tap into the original fans of the 90's/early 2000's. Its why it became such a global hit so fast. They will not be the same people who would go buy any of the new games when they could play it "for reals" on a cellphone they already have.

The fact that Niantic is shitting the bed on how its being handled however is going to turn that revival in popularity into a force of destruction that could leave the IP hated by most people.

At the end of the day you also have to take in the fact that most people do not even know that it's Niantic that is directly behind the game's development. Most (even the investors) thought that it was Nintendo behind it. If this ends up going bad it will make Nintendo look bad to the public eye. Because the public eye cannot tell the difference between an IP holder and an actual developer.
>>
>>27455552
kek thats hilarious
>>
>>27453389
its called taking risks

nintendo has the balls to do that, instead of playing it safe.
>>
>>27455872
>instead of playing it safe.
>literally the same mario, zelda, and pokemon game for the past 15 years
>>
>>27455835
>No one is going to go out of their way to buy a handheld gaming device for Pokemon in this day and age

Have you seen the number of threads here along the lines of "I haven't played a Pokemon game in years, but Pokemon GO got me back into it... which game should I play?" You think that none of those people are going to buy SM? Obviously not everyone who plays GO will buy a 3DS, and in fact comparatively very few will. But "comparatively very few" out of the base of players that GO has will make a measurable sales difference. Even among friends I know in real life who aren't longtime Pokemon fans, there are people who are suddenly interested in these new games that are coming out.

Also, I think that you (and many people here) are overestimating how badly Niantic is "shitting the bed." Today I was talking with those friends that I mentioned who aren't longtime fans but are playing GO. I asked them about their thoughts on the footprint tracker being removed. They didn't even realize it until I mentioned it. Yes, they're very casual players. Well, out the millions of people playing GO, most of them are that sort of player. The proportion of players who are on /vp/ or Reddit raging about how poorly Niantic is treating them is tiny compared to the number of people who didn't even notice that something had changed. And if even a small number of those casual players decide to give SM a try, that's a huge win for Nintendo.
>>
>Trusting some random, no-name company with one of your most treasured IPs.

You mean what Gamefreak has been doing with every spinoff and merchandising?
>>
>>27455804
Niantic being part of Alphabet? That was pretty common knowledge.

When the Google restructure happened Larry Page (at the time CEO of Google) appointed himself CEO of Alphabet and gave the title of Google CEO to Sundar Pichai, which at the time was the head of Android.

The idea of the restructure was to take companies that were acquired by google or were internally born within the company and separate them into companies under Alphabet. This would make Google more focused as a company that does its service on ad services/android/web search and leave other companies to work on their own projects.

Niantic was one of the companies that was given a choice to be part of the restructure. But at the same time since they have had talks with Nintendo since 2014 and have had positive reaction with their main mobile game Ingress in Japan, Niantic wanted to leave the nest and be their own company. Mainly because if they were still a part of Alphabet/Google they would likely not see that much revenue coming directly to them for the game they made and/or the legal BS that may have made a Google/Niantic/Nintendo/TPC collab in a serious game would have been too big and confusing to deal with (and Google may not have cared about it all that much anyways).

Hell, Ingress at it's early days was basically a location submission system for Google's location services. Players of Ingress was basically doing Google's job for free.
>>
>>27455835

i know tons of people who bought a 3ds solely for pokemon, myself included. a couple of years ago nintendo had the promotion where if you bought certain games you could download X/Y for free, and i bought my 3DS just for that. Console Pokemon is still hugely popular
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 750x967px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 750x967px
>>27453389
>>
>>27455902
Mario games still have more differences between each iteration than damn near any Playstation- or Xbox-exclusive franchise does.
>>
>>27455854
Hilarious yet pretty sad.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 679x960px)
image.jpg
53KB, 679x960px
>>27453389
>>
>>27456538
0/10

the name should stay the sameb but the balloon has popped and is falling. learn how to meme, asshole. no one gives a fuck about the titanic.

have some originality
>>
>>27456576
>autism
>>
>>27456538
>hi, rxddit
>>
>>27453389
What is this?
>>
>>27456576
Hows this
>>
>>27457013
10/10
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpT2MuTLlgM

Thread theme
>>
>>27455499
>0/8
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.