[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the decision made in Gen VI to remove Steel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

File: bronzongflip.png (151KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
bronzongflip.png
151KB, 700x500px
Let's talk about the decision made in Gen VI to remove Steel type's resistances to Dark and Ghost.

Good thing? Bad thing?
>>
>>27450147
Did not even notice.

Doesn't steel have a shitload of resistances anyways? I can't really think of a reason why it would resist Dark or Ghost.
>>
>>27450147
Good thing. It needed to be nerfed, especially since it had an advantage against Fairies in the same gen.

I'm also happy that Salandit exists, because Steelfags are pretty obnoxious.
>>
they should have left the ghost resistance and removed the psychic resistance.

yes that would make aegislash better by removing it's ghost type weakness but it would also make aegislash worse by making ghost type coverage worse.

psychic types have always been shown to be able to bend metal objects.
>>
I guess conceptually it fits that it doesn't resist Ghost, after all it's spiritual energy, no reason why metal should protect anything from it.

But Dark moves tend to be physical (Bite, Sucker punch, etc). It would have made more sense to remove the Psychic resistance.
>>
>>27450147

Hurt Pokemon that relied on those resistances to stay relevant.

Did nothing to the steel types that were already dominant.
>>
File: aegislash-shield.jpg (31KB, 266x320px) Image search: [Google]
aegislash-shield.jpg
31KB, 266x320px
Removing those resistances was a VERY good idea for Gen VI.
>>
They should've kept one and added and Electric weakness.
>>
File: 1380973379594.png (221KB, 714x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1380973379594.png
221KB, 714x1064px
>>27450147

Literally just done so that Aegislash wouldn't only have weaknesses to Fire and Ground.
>>
File: 1452217257180.png (161KB, 315x330px) Image search: [Google]
1452217257180.png
161KB, 315x330px
>tfw steelfag
>tfw my Metagross ace gets raped by knockoff
>tfw can't even effectively use bronzong trickery

That being said Aegislash and megagross would be pretty threatening without the nerf. As much as I hate to say it - it was for the best.
run a weakness policy set since knockoff still activates it
>>
Awful thing. Now Dark and Ghost are almost unstoppable.
>>
>>27450283
>>27450293
I'm fairly certain they legitimately did end up nerfing every other steel type pokemon to make sure Aegislash wasn't too insane.
>>
It made Knock Off too good a move. Shits so annoying.
>>
I'm okay with ghost because they're no physical beings, but I don't understand dark. The dark type is just trickery and underhanded tactics. Metal can't be tricked.
>>
File: eevee.jpg (2KB, 125x120px) Image search: [Google]
eevee.jpg
2KB, 125x120px
>>27450313

I will never understand the Knock Off buff.

Like I could understand buffing its power to make it more appealing, because it is a great utility move, but why the fuck would you give basically a 130 BP fuck-your-item move to half the pokemon in existence

like 65 BP Knock Off would be fine, i think, for the effect it has. why the fuck does its power double upon knocking off. it's so excessive.

the whole meta is half knock off and half priority

i miss gen 4
>>
>>27450447
It's like GF doesn't test these things. They just come up with some changes and call it a day.
>>
>>27450447
learn how to adapt fagoot
>>
Ghosts shouldn't be stopped by steel plating
However sucker punching should get resisted

Kinda think psychic should be neutral to Steel
>>
>>27450447

Do you think they would ever nerf it back to reasonable levels?
>>
Think about it this way

They got rid of a resistance it didnt really need, while still keeping it's major resistances that matter
and giving you a new super effective against Fairies
>>
>>27450447

Maybe because Dark lacks a good fucking move?

What do you want me to use? NIGHT SLASH?
>>
Good
>>
>>27450800
>Sucker Punch is a bad move
>>
>>27450447

The move was introduced back in Gen 3

It was meant to be given to Fighting types and Dark types

with each gen they gave it to more so it can find use

They didnt think it through after buffing it how many pokemon actually have it
>>
>>27450800
dark:
>foul play
>crunch
>dark pulse
>sucker punch
>knock off

ghost:
>shadow ball
>shadow claw (a whole 7 pokémon get stab from it)

For types with near identical coverage, it's pretty obvious that dark gets the short end of the stick, right?
>>
>>27450447

Originally the move was only 20 BP with 40 BP if you knock an item out

That was absolutely garbage increase
>>
>>27450416
I think the reasoning was that dark types would play dirty and hit at chinks in the armour

But by that logic, all super effective moves and critical hits should gain a dark typing
>>
>>27450447
>i miss gen 4
You miss the worst generation? Literally why.
>>
>>27450447
Think of Scizor with a technician'd knock off
>>
>>27450447
It does 50% extra damage, not double.
>>27451010
and the damage increase is new to gen 6, previously it did the same damage no matter what.
>>
>>27450800
Sucker Punch and Foul Play are some of the best moves in the entire game.
Situationally Hyperspace Fury, Night Daze, Payback, and Pursuit are all great too.

Dark is one of the last fucking types you can say needs good moves. Especially when it houses half the good status moves too, like Nasty Plot, Dark Void and Taunt.
>>
>>27451093
Regardless of your shitty opinion, it's metagame was more balanced and in my opinion also more fun than the gen 5 and 6 ones.
>>
>>27450182
metagross
>>
File: 1436362013517.jpg (1MB, 1200x912px) Image search: [Google]
1436362013517.jpg
1MB, 1200x912px
>>27450147

It was necessary to balance Aegislash, among others.
>>
>>27450230
This, Psychic could even be SE against steel
>>
>>27450447

Because there needed to be more counters to items. Also, Dark types got nerfed by the addition of Fairy, so they needed some compensation.
>>
>>27451113

Nasty Plot destribution has virtually nothing to do with Dark type. Furthermore he said fucking ATTACKS.

Foul Play and Sucker Punch are both situational. Dark lacked a strong basic attack that doesn't heavily rely on the opponent's actions or stats.

>listing fucking Hyperspace Fury
Could you grasp any harder?
>>
>>27450244
>Ghost/Psychic
>Government brainwashing waves
>Steel
>Tinfoil hat

What will protect us now?
>>
Isn't it obnoxious that they nerfed the elemental beams and sludge wave but made Moonblast a 95 BP move?
>>
>>27451468

If steel was weak to both electric and psychic it'd still have twice as many resists than weakness, only 1 of them is an immunity that comes with toxic immunity.

If rock gets 5 weaknesses, steel can too, at least steel has something to make up for it. Maybe then it'd be balanced.
>>
>>27451619

>types exist in a vacuum without moves, stats, abilities, item and team synergy and niche

Fuck off retard. Not every type is supposed to be the same.
>>
>>27451510
Crunch (gen 2)
Dark Pulse (gen 4)

Ghost only has Shadow Ball as a vanilla strong move.
>>
File: 1456429058482.png (113KB, 222x280px) Image search: [Google]
1456429058482.png
113KB, 222x280px
>>27450313
I feel your pain fellow steelfag
I feel that it really hurts bronzong, I always liked his gimmick of one weakness depending on his ability. he was always my go-to choice to take out my brothers chandelier once he got a CM or two in but now its all in the past
>>
>>27450147
It honestly made me want to hang myself. I love steel type and what it represents. The fact that evil (dark) and ghosts can get through steel's armor of valor and virtue and honesty make me sad. I hate it and it almost made me quit Pokémon
>>
Steel needed the nerf, but Ghost didn't need the buff.

It was a great opportunity to make Dark something other than "Ghost, but worse", but oh well.

The real way to fix Steel is to make it weak to Psychic. Psychic needs a buff and Steel needs a nerf, famous psychic talents include bending spoons with your mind, its a match made in heaven.
>>
>>27453256
im not really in the whole competitive loop, but isnt 2 less resistances enough of a nerf? what about scald's burn chance?
>>
>>27451570
Yes it is
>>
My question is

Why was ghost type physical and dark type special before the split?

Absolute retardation
>>
>>27453956
I'd like to say it was on purpose, but all of the dark types in gen3 were physical attackers. Honestly I have no idea how they fucked up so badly. Shadow ball even lowers sp.def in gen 3.
>>
>>27454018
Shadow ball has lowered SpD since gen 2

It's just dumb
>>
>>27453956
Thief, crunch, faint attack

Special type

Shadow ball

Physical type

Why is gamefreak so incompetent
>>
>>27450447
Gale wings, parental bond and scald are worse to the meta
>>
>>27453256
>The real way to fix Steel is to make it weak to Psychic.

This will never happen, because Steel was introduced with the specific express purpose of resisting the then-OP Psychic.
>>
Steel nerf, while needed and combined with the knock off buff, nerfed bronzong to near uselessness in terms of tanking.

Maybe a new ability called Ancient Metal that lowers dark effectiveness like heatproof could bronzong.

And it will still be balanced as you can choose between resisting fire, dark, or immunity to ground. Or be retarded and go for the ability that doubles weight...
>>
>>27450147
The resistance didn't make sense to me anyway, but I was still a little bummed out for my bro Metagross. They had to nerf the entire type since Aegislash is too amazing. Even then, all it does is give it potential to catch a dark pulse and activate weakness policy.
>>
File: pffft.jpg (56KB, 517x656px) Image search: [Google]
pffft.jpg
56KB, 517x656px
gen VI is fucking stupid anyway
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.