[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

horrible at nicknames

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1403786598240.png (1002KB, 900x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1403786598240.png
1002KB, 900x1152px
So, I've noticed that the way people nickname their pokemon tend to fall in one of the next categories:
>wordplays
>person names
>weird or pet names
>references

I'm stupidly bad when it comes to word play (plus english is not my mother tongue).
Hell, I'm too bad even to come up with normal names or do references.
So I normally just mix words that reflect something about the pokemon, kinda like you'd do with a superhero, and end up with things like:
Magnezone - Summerstorm
Aggron - Metalcoat
Metagross - Shycore (ingame timid nature)

Awful, I know.
And the only reference I remember doing was a Torterra named CaptainBravo.

That's why I'm curious, rather of the nicknames you use, why you like/use those and how you usually come up with them.
Also, which of the categories are you in? Of course, don't refrain from posting examples.
>>
I nickname every Pokemon I use. They're usually words that relate to the Pokemon (Braixen = Hex, Banette = Vendetta, Clefairy = Starlight, Blitzle = Blackout).
>>
I just feel the need to name my Pokemon certain things sometimes. Snivy was named fern and fletchling was named flurflur. I didn't know their final evolutions when I did this, it just felt right. I just name the Pokemon what I feel like suits it. Unless it's a Pokemon I'm not gonna use, then I name it a completely shitty name.
>>
>>27430170
References, Wordplays and things like "Not Waifu" for Weavile.
>>
Nameberry.com plz no hate
>>
>>27430170
I always name my Zubats after Russians. Lenin, Stalin, Vladimir, etc.

Sometimes I use alternate-language names, like Blastoise named Tortank, or Cofagrigus named Deathcan.
>>
File: 54y6ertgw.jpg (69KB, 850x756px) Image search: [Google]
54y6ertgw.jpg
69KB, 850x756px
>>27430690
Starlight is really nice for a Clefairy.
>>27430752
>Unless it's a Pokemon I'm not gonna use, then I name it a completely shitty name.
Yeah, I do this too.
>>27430783
Can you post a pair of examples? You're the first to use those two categories.
>>27430794
Using a page to pick up random names is an interesting idea, I should try it for those times I don't know what to use.

Another reference I remembered, a Lampent named Rhapsody (after those KH heartless), not my idea though, saw an anon with one once.
>>
>>27430883
>References
Deepthroat for Toxicroak
>Wordplays
I don't know if this falls into this category but Sisire is the one i'm using for my Quagsire
>>
>>27430170
I think using wordplay and stuff like that is fucking cancer.
I see people naming their pokes "rockydude!!" and such and I'm like, what?
Maybe it's just me but if I'm going to use nicknames, I give them real pet names. Am I the only person who grows attached to their mons? I could never get attached to one with a meme name.
>>
>>27430993
>I don't know if this falls into this category
Eh, a wordplay is a wordplay.
Thanks.
>>27430825
>Tortank
Some of the names in the french version are great.
>>
>>27430170
I only ever nickname in Nuzlockes but, I usually go for an insult for Shitmons, and Puns, References and as a last resort I string letters together for stuff I don't hate
Ie I've had a Spearow called Halbird, Swellow called Pet Shop and a Leavanny called Ffarnil
>>
>>27430690
Shit i wish i was good at nicknaming pokemon. All i do is name them after mythological gods and items (Aggron is Mjolnir, Noctowl is Athena, etc.)
>>
Thank you for the answers so far, it's really interesting too see the variety in the way different people think about nicknames.
It's making me wonder if there's actually someone else who uses the same "superhero name" method I do.
>>
I like bible names
>>
>>27432332
Evangelion was a success only for this shit, Biblic names are kinda cool.

Greek, Latin and Jewish mythology work too.
>>
Any good names for a Bronzong?
>>
>>27432546
Zen Gong?
>>
>>27432546
Philadelphia
Big Ben
Quasimodo
Benkei
>>
File: gas.jpg (345KB, 1024x715px) Image search: [Google]
gas.jpg
345KB, 1024x715px
My names just tend to be people names, like:

Minerva, Agatha, Agnes, Elaine, Ernest and Gideon. That was my last team name.

I tend to like using older names like Agatha, Gilda, Gideon, Ivy, Hazel, Theodore, ect because of the rich history behind their times. It just evokes a bit of longing in me.
>>
>>27432638
>Quasimodo
Thanks for the name famalam
>>
>>27430170
>Ariados - Ungoliant (from the Silmarillion and LOTR)
>Ninetales - Akira (self explanatory)
>Gardevoir + Gallade - Victoria and Victor (Corpse Bride)

I generally pull my nicknames from movies or books. So I fall under the reference category.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.