/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Smogonfags think Garchomp was an Uber in Gen 4?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

File: garchomp.png (2MB, 1566x881px) Image search: [Google]
garchomp.png
2MB, 1566x881px
Why did Smogonfags think Garchomp was an Uber in Gen 4?
>>
I know the answer
But I hate those kinds of threads
the ones that a simple google search could give the answer
is this because summer? Does OP thinks that he will start a debate because of that?
>>
>>27388127
Unlike Gen VI, Tyranitar was everywhere and Sand Veil was Garchomp's only ability. Almost all Garchomp had either Yache Berry (reduces Ice-type damage on user) or BrightPowder (raises holder's Evasion by 10%), AND its Speed is 102, making it fast enough to outspeed 100 and below Pokemon (only a very small group of OU mons on Gen IV had more than 100)

Weaknesses: Ice (reduced by Yache Berry) and Dragon (useless unless is STAB, and Garchomp is a Dragon too)

Also (only in-case you are a new friend):
Before Gen VI, weather summoned by abilities lasted for the whole battle unless another weather is called.
>>
File: 1462245227439.jpg (367KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462245227439.jpg
367KB, 800x800px
Why is Garchomp so cute?
>>
>>27388327
And 130 base attack with 120/100 base power STABs with wonderful coverage was a lot scarier than it is now, and 102 speed was just enough to be faster than a lot of stuff. There was hardly anything to switch into it, and if you had sand up and managed to get a dance off, there was very little that could come and stop you
>>
File: Landorus-T.png (95KB, 406x320px) Image search: [Google]
Landorus-T.png
95KB, 406x320px
They banned it in gen 4 because their precious lion was getting out classed by tank chomp.
People eventually called them out on their faggotry and they unbanned garchomp.
>>
>>27388450
Is this some shitty b8
>>
File: 1466500330772.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1466500330772.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>27388450
>>
>>27388458
>>27388470
lead chomp set up stealth rocks better than any pokemon in the gen 4 meta, smogon couldnt stand the thought of one of their signature mons dropping
>>
>>27388512
Landorus wasn't in gen 4
>>
>>27388526
Then gliscor, whatever was that gens lando-t.
Just because it could get up rocks before it was taunted meant it had to go to ubers.

Smogon fags and their drones are pathetic.
>>
>>27388127
Permanent weather + evasion ability

Smogon hates evasion
>>
>>27388512
>lead chomp is why he was banned
I know this is bait but top kek.
>>
>>27388557
Well it's pretty unfair for something that has great Stabs, tons of attack, excellent speed at the time, a decent defensive typing and good bulk for an offensive pokémon to have an increased chance to dodge attacks just because fuck you luck's not on your side today
>>
Because Outrage + Earthquake + Fire Blast was perfect coverage in gen 4.
Garchomp was a gen 5-6 pokemon that happened to be hotdropped into gen 4.
It was absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>27388579
I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, I'm saying that's the reason for it.

Chomp faceoffs came down to luck because of Sand Veil + Brightpowder.

Same reason Moody is banned now, or OHKO moves; it can just cause random bullshit to happen and fights come down to luck.
>>
>>27388624
Same reason Aegis is (was?) banned; King's Shield made any Aegis faceoff ultimately a coin toss for the opponent. Will he King's Shield, Y/N? Guess right or get fucked.
>>
>>27388607
Alot of thing have perfect, or near perfect coverage.
Garchomp had no reason to be banned seeing as it wasn't exactly one shotting things without boost.
And neutral garchomp went down to any ice move or fairy move you throw at it.
>>
togekiss walled garchomp any day of the week
a couple of moonblasts and garchomp died

smogon is babies
>>
>>27388327
>>27388624
Reminder that nobody used brightpowder because it only raises Evasion from 20 to 22% in sand.

If people wanted to evasion abuse they use Leftovers because it gives you extra uses of substitute.
>>
>>27388726
Fuck off with your b8
>>
>>27388744
Well, whatever, evasion abuse setup chomp was a clusterfuck to deal with
>>
>>27388749
Did they offend the pedo site you hold so dear, anon?
>>
>>27388773
>>27388726
>fairy type
>gen 4
>>
>>27388726
>Gen 4
>Moon Blast

he...hehehe...haha..HA ....HAHAHAHA!!!!
>>
>>27388773
No you fucking idiot

Moonblast and fairies didn't exist in gen 4
>>
>>27388821
Hyper voice still existed so togekiss could still use that until it had access to moon blast in gen 6
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-27+at+06.00.33).png (48KB, 596x301px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-27+at+06.00.33).png
48KB, 596x301px
Why do people who do not play Smogon's tiers bitch when something gets banned in one of Smogon's tiers?
>>
>>27388883
How is that a counter at all?
>>
File: RAGE.png (75KB, 250x320px) Image search: [Google]
RAGE.png
75KB, 250x320px
>>27388883
Ignoring the fact that Hyper Vocie is Normal type
Ignoring the fact that Fairy type DID NOT EXIST BEFORE GEN VI
Togekiss doesn't have Pixilate in any gen

I'm so mad that I take bait so easily
>>
>>27388883
You're not even trying anymore
>>
File: 1455081678996.png (596KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
1455081678996.png
596KB, 569x802px
>>27388967
>>27388977
>thinking ACTUALLY learns moonblast
>not knowing garchomp didn't get stealth rocks in gen 4
stay pleb, anti troll force
>>
>>27389039
...It learned it via TM...

...stay pleb, buddy.
>>
>>27388127
It broke the speed tiers, it was alone in its own, faster things couldn't switch-in at all because 130 base Attack, coupled with a Bulk that was at the same level of Swampert's; a well known tank at the time and that speed was everything it needed.

In DP it didn't had Outrage, neither needed it, using Substitute, Swords Dance, Dragon Claw and Earthquake was all it needed, or you could drop Substitute and take a more offensive approach either with Fire Blast (To dent Skarmory) or Stone Edge (to hit harder things like Zapdos).

This, coupled with the everlasting Sand that both Hippowdown and Tyranitar kept in almost every battle, made Garchomp a hard hitter that was hard to hit, either because it hit you before you were even able to move, or your move missed thanks to Sand Veil.

Garchomp could be a tank, revenge killer, wall breaker and/or set up sweeper. It had almost every offensive function in its STAB alone and you could tweak its EV's, Nature or held item to pin point and patch the weakness or your team.

For Gen IV standards, Garchomp was what MKangaskhan is today.
>>
>>27389039
>what is TM76

Honestly, your bait game is weak.
>>
>>27389067
>>27389075
Yet idiots like you keep feeding (you)'s to other idiots instead of ignoring it like everyone else.
>>
>>27388744
Brightpowder reduces opponent accuracy by 10%, not increase user evasion.
>>
>>27389068
In the end, before the ban the teams were too commonly Garchomp, Garchomp killer (usually Weavile or Mamoswine), Garchomp killer killer and so on.
>>
>>27389104
Feed an addiction, the addict dies faster.
>>
>>27389138
And either Tyranitar or Hippowdon at the end to make sure that you'll be able to kept Sand running through the battle.

Yep. In a Gen that it didn't had that much powercreep, Garchomp was overcentralizing in the whole sense of the word. You'll be handicapping yourself for not using it.
>>
File: not baited.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
not baited.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>27389143
More like pic related.
I swear, its almost as if /vp/ were full of literal children.
>>
>>27389187
and you're one of them too so stop your bullshit preach, you fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>27389233
Yes, keep responding to obvious bait posts, i'm sure they'll get tired if you feed them enough for their "addiction".

I have an addiction to boipussy, want to feed me yours?
>>
It was Garchomp's speed tier that pushed it over the edge, in combination with its high attack and Swampert-tier bulk. Base 102 was a great speed tier back in Gen 4, as it allowed it to just barely outspeed base 100s.

Gen 5 introduced a lot more Pokemon that outspeed Garchomp, namely Terrakion and Keldeo. The Latis were also brought down from Uber to OU.

Garchomp's still as strong as ever, but its speed isn't what it used to be.
>>
>>27389187
Sometime these people are actually this retarded. This summer between Go/leak season/youtuber drama, there's some real people who believe themselves
>>
File: powder.png (20KB, 666x322px) Image search: [Google]
powder.png
20KB, 666x322px
>>27389130
I don't know why the in-game text says reduce accuracy, but it definitely increases evasion.
>>
>>27388680
>Ice
Only faster Ice types were Froslass and Weavile, and they couldn't switch in on anything Garchomp had.
>Fairy
Oh, so you're an idiot. I see.
>>
>>27388680
>Fairy

Keyword here is Gen 4
>>
>>27389305
not him but you can definitely feed on mine
>>
>>27389186
It's also pretty funny how after Garchomp was banned, the meta ended similarly centralizing around Salamence until it got banned too.
And also someone having the excellent idea of unbanning Latias, and then quickly banning her back again.
To be honest, it was a fun generation overall.

>>27389308
M-Garchomp actually lowering it's speed was a damn blunder.
>>
>>27389438
Latias was unbanned for like 2 years or something. It wasn't exactly "quickly" and a good chunk of smogon thinks the Latias meta back then might've been the best meta Pokemon has ever had (source: last time i saw a thread on smogon asking that question).
>>
In Gen 6, there are a lot of ways to handle SD Sand Veil Garchomp. Opposing weather, Scald, fairies, Prankster, Ferrothorn, even faster and more powerful Pokemon, stalling out the sand, Porygon2 if you're desperate, etc. In Gen 4, not so much.

>>27388744

Are you sure? If BrightPowder is calculated the way confusion and paralysis is, it should be 28% (20% + 10% of 80).
>>
>>27389485
I could swear it was three weeks tops.
Now I wonder why it even got banned again.
>>
>>27388127
Because it over centralized the meta. Every team was Garchomp, Chomp counter, a counter to that chomp's counter, and three mons to set up hazards.

You guys always complain about smogon's diversity. Guess why they banned Garchomp? Because it was homogenizing everything.
>>
>>27388327
Don't forget that Garchomp has a lot of health (base 108 HP) so with the Yache Berry, it can potentially take an ice type move depending on who uses it.
>>
>>27389513
Uhhh my bad on the numbers there, tacked the 2% on the wrong way.

Lefties is still worth more than 8% hit dodge chance, you get 1 more chance to dodge and if you dodge early you have significantly more health.
>>
>>27388553

Gliscor and Lando-T fill completely different roles

nice bait tho
>>
>>27389605
And that was almost anything that didn't had STAB on that Ice Move. IIRC, LO Starmie failed to get the OHKO, and Starmie doesn't want to be locked on a single and expected move.

Frosslass never used a power-boosting item, and Weavile was predictable as fuck. And none of them can actually switch in.

>>27389438
Salamence centralized but mostly because the strat "Drag2Mag" started to appear. It was the most powerful Dragon-Type at both spectrums and able to hit hard right off the bat.

Also, remember that before Platinum, Salamence had a lot of less presence because it lacked Outrage, sure it could use Dragon Dance, but it lacked the natural bulk to buy that turn of set up.

Draco Meteor/Outrage was what put Salamence in a more menacing spot that even Latios, that boasted better Special Attack and Speed.
Salamence was banned almost at the end of DPPt/HGSS era, and it the votation was very even; it was centralizing, but nowhere near the levels of Garchomp.
>>
>Tfw Mega Garchomp is trash tier and Mega Salamence is god tier

Garchomp has been my favorite since D/P but this gen I have to go with Salamence he's just straight up much stronger unless you have a Sand team.
>>
>>27388824
itt newfags>>27388883
>>
>>27389860
>Mega Garchomp is trash tier
Not in the real format, VGC.
>>
>>27390025
Are you mad?
Garchomp see a lot of use in the past formats, but only base Garchomp. Mega is nowhere to be seen.
>>
File: image.png (462KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
462KB, 1280x720px
>>27388127

Gen 4 smogon guy here

Back in the day Garchomp was the Greninja at the time. It covered virtually everything and the only real weakness it had was Weavile.

Combine that with their fear of evasion via sandstorm ability and you could save Garchomp with Yache berry turned it into the most staple "must haves" on any competitive team. It was deemed too strong and plebs and smogonfags alike were butthurt or happy. Thank god Gen 5 rolled around and gave it rough skin and was power creeped a little so I could use her again.

For some reason this logic doesnt apply to fucking Landorus-T but thats another time.

Garchomp sits as the most stable and reliable base line pick for OU now thanks to great typing, a heavily ideal movepool and stat spread, and sheer reliability
>>
>>27390065
>Landorus-T
But Lando-T isn't that fast nor does it have very good defenses. Do people scarf it or something? Because at first glance, it doesn't seem that imposing based on its stat distribution.
>>
File: 1429641758654.png (288KB, 465x379px) Image search: [Google]
1429641758654.png
288KB, 465x379px
If Garchomp ever gets Dragon Dance it'll probably be back in Ubers.
>>
>>27390724
>>27390724
I want to understand this meme
it would be really that broken?
>>
>>27390802
Broken per se; I doubt it.
But it would be extremely hard to deal with.
Garchomp speed would allow it to run even Adamant (as base form) if it ever gets Dragon Dance, coupled with its Bulk and dual STAB, you'll need to be on your toes to take it out.
Or just like in Gen V, slap a Choice Scarf at almost everything, to think that back in Gen V you'll be using Pokémon with base Speed over 105 with a Scarf slapped on still boggles my mind.

Also, it would allow MGarchomp to be effectively a threat. Since its only problem is the speed.
>>
>>27390855
I get the feeling that a Garchomp with Dragon Dance will appear as an event Pokemon eventually.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.