[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can we all agree that mega evos were a fucking mistake? they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: blastoise-mega.jpg (38KB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
blastoise-mega.jpg
38KB, 300x262px
can we all agree that mega evos were a fucking mistake?

they almost all look like shit and destroyed the game balance
>>
>>27384754
It's too late.
>>
i'm not wild about them. i'm glad gamefreak made them optional and sort of hard to use though.
>>
>>27384754
>destroyed the game balance
>half of the megas aren't able to compete without it
>>
>implying pokemon has ever been balanced

Ill take megas over "weather: the meta" any time
>>
i hate how it took the "prestige" away from some of the classic final evo pokemon

charizard looked fucking amazing and is iconic, but now you have this mega charizard abomination that you are forced to use
>>
>>27384840
>but now you have this mega charizard abomination that you are forced to use

I feel like this whole thread is a ruse, but this jumped out even so
>>
>>27384754
>they almost all look like shit and destroyed the game balance

I'll bite

The first is subjective, I certainly think some of the mega evos look terrible, but some are better than the original.

Pokemon has never been an especially balanced game, but mega evolution has made some things that were completely useless competitively worth using now, and the things that were already strong haven't really gotten all that stronger (except mega ray ray)
>>
>>27384840
You're not forced to use anything you don't want to you retard
>>
i agree that they look retarded.

i didn't play gen 6 though. how frequently do you see megas? are they in every gym/major battle? i want to play gen 7 without ever using those stupid things.
>>
>>27385252
Same, senpai.
>>
>>27385252
Nope 3 fucking trainers use it

ORAS is different. There's like 10?
>>
>>27385252
in gen6 you see megas maybe 3 times in the actual game? the evil team leader uses one in the final fight. the champion uses one. and then there is a girl who teaches you about megas and you both use a mega lucario for that fight.

there are only a few mega stones that you can get before beating the game. gengar, blastoise/venusaur/charizard, and lucario? i'm not sure if you can get any others.

it's really pretty ignorable.
>>
>Yfw no Megas in Gen 7
>>
>>27385252
About 3 times in XY and 4 in ORAS not counting post game and your own use.
>>
>>27384754
>can we all agree
No
>>
>>27384754
Agreed.
If it doesn't have a Pokedex entry, then why is this fucking creature in my Pokémon game?!?
Real evolutions only, plz
>>
>>27384778
they couldve gotten evolutions and stat adjustments so the argument is invalid
>>
>>27385323
Never played gen 6 here, is it plausible to beat a mega using a regular Pokemon or is the stat bump too insane to really compete?
>>
>>27385383
It's totally plausible
>>
>>27384754
>extra turtle shells on his wrists
Now they're just making fun of us.
>>
>>27385383

if you're talking about equal levels vs another human player, its not happening without crits or type advantage
>>
>>27385375
So you mean cross-gen evos also destroyed the meta?
>>
>>27385383
Against most megas it's pretty plausible. They aren't the amazing unbeatable gods that the games and advertising usually portray them as. Mostly.
>>
>>27385383
well you really only have to fight two. mega gyarados and mega gardevoir. they are certainly hard to beat and you'll probably lose a mon or two but it's not a huge obstacle. it depends on what pokemon you use.

they are basically legendary pokemon...and you usually fight at least one of those in-game anyways.
>>
>>27385337
we can only hope
>>
>>27385383
only mega fug is broken
the rest can be ohko like any other pokemon
>>
>>27384754
There are just as many cool ones as ugly ones, probably more so actually.
>>
>>27385383
Except for probably Ray, Mewtwo and Primal Groudon the rest are easy to beat providing you're good.
>>
File: MEGA SLOWKING.png (1MB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
MEGA SLOWKING.png
1MB, 550x600px
Until I get a Mega Slowking, I don't care one way or the other.
>>
>>27385337
They're in there, there's just no new ones fampai.
>>
>>27385383
Mega evolution gain 100 total stats distributed in some way, but they lose the ability to carry a real item. When I played competitive, Mega Kang was fucking freelo. I think he's one of the best.
>>
>>27385491
That's a retarded design.
Have the shellder consume slowking from the top and use its face.
So essentially an upside down mega slowbro.
>>
File: 1468892094221.png (197KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1468892094221.png
197KB, 1680x1050px
>>27384754
I agree
>introduced a handful of no fun mega mons
>powercreep in general
>90% of them look like shit
>more popular mons will get mega evos while forgotten ones will stay in the trash
>maed cross gen evos a dream now, and completely removed this possibility
worst thing to happen to the pokemon franchise desu
>>
>>27385536
That idea is Arceusdamn terrible.
>>
>>27385560
>lets give the best pokemon megas and ignore the worst pokemon
this was the biggest flaw. they made the bad pokemon even more unusable and made using the good pokemon no fun because they are so broken.
>>
elevating regular mons to legendary status with the use of an item isn't a problem
the problem is they then allowed legendaries to go even further beyond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zLUYwjbW4
>>
>>27385580
mega ray is RIDICILOUS

I dunno if anyone can beat that guy
>>
>>27385636
Mega Madara Uchiha
>>
>>27385418
>reading comprehension
your argument was that megas gave some pokemon viability, but i'm saying stat adjustments would've done the same thing. Cross-gen evos are what we shouldve gotten for weaker mons.
>>
File: Image-1-Guy-Fieri.png (402KB, 402x536px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1-Guy-Fieri.png
402KB, 402x536px
>>27385664
>implying guy sensei wouldn't win once he opens up the 8th gate to flavortown
>>
>>27385383
Every mega evolution has a 100 point higher base stat total (exception of Mega Alakazam, which is only 90 higher for stupid reasons). Some mega evolutions gain a new ability from mega evolving. All at the loss of an item slot.

In terms of in-game wise, mega evolutions are absolutely broken. A good mega Pokemon utterly steamrolls through the entire game. As far as I recall from the Battle Maison in X and Y, the enemies in single battle couldn't do a damn thing about my Speed Boost Mega Blaziken.

In terms of competitive, some mega evolutions are absolutely broken.
-Mega Kangaskhan gets two hits in every turn to keep boosting its attack.
-Mega Rayquaza is almost entirely unstoppable and doesn't even require a mega stone.
-Mega Manectric just maintains great momentum with Volt-Switch and Intimidate.
-Mega Lucario is a one-turn setup to either sweep physically or sweep specially. If you predict that wrong, he'll get another boost in and take down your entire team with Adaptability priority moves.
-Mega Aerodactyl sets up in one turn and then sweeps with 113% accurate Stone Edge
-Mega Altaria, Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross all become bulky as fuck with great sweeping potential.
-Mega Scizor and Mega Tyranitar are essentially just harder to kill variants of Scizor and Tyranitar.
-Mega Mawile gets Huge Power, Swords Dance and a boost up to 105 base Attack.
>>
>>27384754
Only a few of them, which you can say the same thing for say, Speed boost Blaziken.

Liking a pokémon appearance or not is all subjective, so cut that out.

Only the problematic ones like Mence, Gengar, Kangashkan and Mawile. Fairy destroyed the game balance much more. Also the competitive was already fucked a lot by every team using at least 3 legendaries, the ones that do what they can do in such a way that nothing else can replicate. Thundurus, Landorus, Heatran, Cresselia to name a few.
>>
File: 1417887981178.png (441KB, 754x744px) Image search: [Google]
1417887981178.png
441KB, 754x744px
>>27385573
>>27385560

What do you people try to accomplish when you post outright lies like this? Convince people who don't actually play the games?

Kangaskhan, Mawile, Altaria, Charizard. All utter shitmons before megas.
Garchomp, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Lati@s? Their megas are -WORSE- than their base forms.

These threads are nothing but ignorant sensationalist inflammatory bullshit. Fuck off with your shitty youtube comments.
>>
>>27385810
This whole thread is bait and shitposting
>>
>>27385759
>Mega Aero, Manectric, Scizor, Tyranitar, Metagross, Altaria
>broken

You don't play competitive at all to say something like this. I'm not even talking about Smogon, fuck it, you could play VGC or BSS and still know that this is false.
>>
>>27385810

>charizard
>shit

lol????????????
>>
>>27385865

(You)
>>
>>27385375
So Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Gengar, Alakazam, Ampharos, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Swampert, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Gallade, Aggron, Salamence, Metagross, and Garchomp could have gotten evos? I doubt it.
>>
>>27385759
Mawile isnt broken at all
>>
Play doubles and they are not broken at all
>>
>>27385865
Probably bait, but Charizard is garbage. When the levels are equal, you can't OHKO everything with ember and dragon rage

>>27385383
You're not making the mistake of thinking high base stat total = good Pokémon, are you?
>>
>>27385879

On top of which, a regular Mawile evo wouldn't be nearly as strong as Mega Mawile. Megas get away with being stronger because of their limits.

Plus they're still the same Pokemon that the fans already like. They just expand on the design rather than risking an abortion like Rhyperior. If you don't like the mega design, it's temporary and optional.
>>
>>27385810
>Blaziken
Would you believe there are people who think Mega Chicken is better than base Blaziken?
>>
>>27384754
>it's another "MY OPINION IS CORRECT" episode
>>
>>27384754
Barely any megas look good I agree
They did add an intersting gameplay element but 1)it makes it so you basically have to have mega salamance on your team and 2)smashed the fun of the game.

mega blastoise looks like a kids fan design, which is maybe what theyre going for now? but it just doesnt feel like pokemon
>>
>>27385429
>2 pokemon to beat mega sweeper
no way, you wont stand a chance, ill just sub in a deefensive pokemon and weaken you
>>
>>27385959
MBlaziken is better, but doesn't offer any different or noteworthy over base Blaziken.
Most of the time you'll be using another mega, but MBlaziken isn't bad at all.

Adamant MBlaziken is way faster than base Jolly Blaziken, outdamages it by a 6~7% and it's slight bette bulk allow it to take better some resisted and neutral hits, and on top of that, is not going to kill itself via Life Orb.

Like I said, MBlaziken is better than base Blaziken, but it doesn't offer anything different over base form.
>>
I fully and honest to god believe that Mega Evolutions were introduced because gamefreak realized that a lot of old pokemon look nothing like the art style of the new designs, but knowing that redesigning them would cause massive backlash, they just introduced a game feature to show off their super cool new redesigns
>>
>>27385865

But in competitive... he is. Charizard Y is a cheesy, extremely powerful solar beamer while Charizard X is a dragon dance beast. Base charizard can do neither of these things well.
>>
>>27386036

In competitive, a pokemon being better as base is BECAUSE it brings nothing special over its base when another of your mons coild have been mega.

Also, No way is blaziken, mega or not, taking anything over 80 power neutral and living.
>>
>>27384754
I was hyped by the concept

but massively disheartened as soon as I saw Mega Blastoise

The quality of the designs varies wildly

What were they thinking with Aerodactyl?

Has /vp/ ever had a poll to find out who the most hated/loved mega forms are?
>>
>>27386071
it honestly looks better
>>
>>27385836
>some
>now means all listed afterwards are included in that
How did some of the people on /vp/ even graduate highschool?
>>
>>27385879
read, holy shit. Stat adjustments were also mentioned, it doesnt neccessarily mean EVERYONE shouldve gotten an evo instead
>>
>>27385959
In some ways it is. No Life Orb damage + that extra 20 Speed (so you don't get surprise killed by, say, Scarf Lando on your first Speed boost) + some added bulk are positives.
>>
>>27385934
This is what i've been looking for, actual arguments. Mawile i get because its floor is just so low a mega is the only thing that could actually save its viability, however there are just so many mons that never needed them in the first place like salamence, garchomp, scizor, etc. These are the ones that ruin megas for me personally and just further power creep
>>
>>27385879
Like 95% of those pokemon were already BEYOND viable.

Learn to read you retard
>>
>>27384754
Megas were a decent idea that was awfully done.

I really hope SM is dropping it, we haven't seen a single one yet and seems like they got a new type of gimmick this time around.
>>
>>27384754
this blastoise looks pretty decent
>>
>>27386947
How many times do we have to go over this? They didn't even drop rotation battles, you think they're going to get rid of something they put loads of hours and resources into designing and hyping up?
>>
>>27387197
Anon this is game freak.

Were 5 gen your first games or something
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.