[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Breeder Games (And Ideas)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

My favorite subgenre of JRPGs has always been monster breeding games. There's something about these games that has led people to spend hundreds of hours playing them opposed to other games.

I've given a lot of thought towards making a monster breeding game that's similar to various other series, and it has led me to ask what thoughts other people might have in regard to such a project.

I don't know a lot about programming, but I'm learning as I go. Luckily, many people have developed premade assets for RPG Maker. If I work in my free time, I may have a decent game in a couple of years. (I may even have someone help me integrate LAN multiplayer, if it goes well.)

My question to you is, what are some features that you would consider mandatory for a monster breeding game? What are some examples of features that are widely unused in these games?

Also, can we discuss "hidden gems" in this genre?
>>
>>27373172
Mixing species would be great. Or colors, I really loved Chao garden's variety. It's not a thing a lot of games do, it'd be great if you did.
>>
>>27373237
This, mixing crickets is the best
>>
>>27373237
Oh yeah! I always forget about that mini-game. I've always heard that a lot of people played it more than the rest of the game.

Yeah, being able to breed various colors based on parents would be cool. Also, transferring moves/abilities based on parents is pretty crucial.
>>
>>27373172
I haven't played very many but I enjoyed Dragon Quest Monsters on DS. Triple battles before Pokemon did, and breeding creatures actually gave you different species. I also played Crystal Monsters but it was clunky on the DS and it ends without saving after defeating the final boss.
>>
>>27373344
Do you think he triple battles are more interesting.

They seem like they'd be more difficult to balance than one on one battles.
>>
>>27373376
I think I liked it because it was different. Also the battles looked like a crude version of the XY battle format, with 3D models and an area background, while Pokemon was still in gen 4 with still sprites. And you could see the monsters roaming around, which meant you could try to battle or avoid them. If they made a DQM game for 3DS or Wii U, it has the potential to be beautiful.
>>
>>27373523
Whatever format I choose, I'm pretty sure I have to stick with. So, if I do singles, doubles, or triples, I have to build the game around that.

I kind of like the idea of having support monsters, so I think I might at least do double battles, with turns working like Pokemon.

The Dragon Quest Monsters series were always cool, I just didn't like a lot of the endgame monster designs.

Maybe I should take a page from their book, though.

As a kid Monster Rancher was always one of my favorite series. But they never had an "overworld" map.
>>
File: breeding season.png (218KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
breeding season.png
218KB, 816x612px
>>27373172
Consider play Breeding Seasons.
Even if you don't like the "theme", the sistem is pretty based, worth play.
>>
>>27373344
A new DQ monsters is coming out this year for 3Ds
>>
>>27374435
Really? I'll have to give it a shot. What about it is good?

Also, unrelated to that:
I just thought of something that could be pretty cool. Imagine your Momsters have Abilities similar to Pokemon abilities, but then they also have a secondary ability that can be bred onto them. Secondary abilities wouldn't be as powerful as most Primary abilities, but they stack.

So a Monster's primary ability may be "Heat Gaurd: This Monster's Fire attacks deal 1.5x damage when below half health", but you could breed a secondary ability on him, like "Pyromania: This Monster's Attack score raises whenever it uses a fire attack".

Combined with a system like visible IVs, breedable moves, and maybe other inherited traits, this would make a really interesting breeding system.
>>
File: 800px-Breeding_Menu.png (342KB, 800x523px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Breeding_Menu.png
342KB, 800x523px
>>27374897
I can't explain everything, you must try it.

I'm just sure that you'ill don't like the "theme", but all things that you can incorporate into you game make it worth to play.
The breeding don't pass only stats, but hair style/color, skin color, major and minor traits, personal tastes, family tree...
Its weird when a non sfw game have a based content/sistem.
>>
>>27374435
Too bad the game has been shut down and canceled due to a falling out within the group. It's left in a really unfinished state so not sure how long it will be enjoyable.
>>
>>27375111
Hmm. So the "monsters" or slaves that you breed truly feel unique because they are comprised of pieces/parts of their parents. That would be a pretty great feature to add...it would take a long time to implement. But it seems like something that would be worth it.

When I think about it, one way I could implement this, is having "types" crossbreed to make different colored offspring that adopt their type and weaknesses.

For example, let's say there's a Monster called Reiko. When caught in the wild, Reiko is a Water Monster that's blue, and has short horns. However, if you breed a Reiko with a compatible Fire Monster, you now have a red Reiko with a few Fire moves, and a weakness inherited from it's parent.

All this would take is mapping the color of each monster, and somehow letting monsters exchange color schemes over that color map.
>>
File: Monster Breed.png (580KB, 1030x628px) Image search: [Google]
Monster Breed.png
580KB, 1030x628px
>>27375146
Yep. I'm sure it is already finished. We just have no more updates, monsters and/or new animations.
You can find 7.1 and 7.4 easily. The last 7.6 one is just for patreons.

>>27375289
>Reiko with a few Fire moves, and a weakness inherited from it's parent.
Basically this. You breed a Pikachu with a flying pokemon, you got Emolga.

Also, pic related, another breeding game. Shallow but funny.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.