[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we even have Grass starters? Grass focuses on stalling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

Why do we even have Grass starters? Grass focuses on stalling and gets annihilated every time, all the birds and bugs in the early game just fuck your shit.

Fire is direct damage and strong against many early types like bug and grass. Water is a good balance of damage and defense as it doesn't have too many weaknesses. Couldn't Grass have been something reasonable like Electric? Don't tell me Pikachu wasn't fifty times more popular than a nobody like Bulbasaur.
>>
>>27337989
grass completes the game of Rock, Paper, Scizors. No other type is weak to fire while being good against water.
>>
>>27337989
Really fire is the "brute damage" one is it? Fire has 6 resistances, are you sure about that?
>>
>>27338032
Gen 3-5 my man. even then it's not like Charizard and Typhlosion are complete walls, fire is incredibly offensive.
>>
>>27338018
I mean, that's not the only trio they could have had. Rock, Flying, Fighting is also one. Psychic, Fighting, Dark. Ground, Electric, Water. Just for some reason they chose those 3 as staple starter types
>>
>>27338044
That's the starters though, Sceptile and Serperior are both offensive too. Fire on the whole sides to defensive and/or just being shit.
Honestly its fire that needs to go.
>>
>>27338062
the only trio there is is Rock, Flying and Fighting. Dark has an immunity to Psychic which gives it a gross advantage (not to mention it didn't exist in RBY) and the same goes for Ground and Electric. I think it just came down to what would be a cooler trio.
>>
>>27338062
Fire, Water, Earth and Air are globally and historically thought to be the 4 main elements, or even the only elements. It's not stupid for them to have chosen Fire, Water and Grass as the starter types.

They're actually the three that make the MOST sense. Anything else would seem rather silly.
>>
>>27338083
Are you telling me that when you choose Squirtle and your rival chooses Bulbasaur, you sit there spamming it with water guns? You don't use the disadvantage move against a pokemon, there's no logic behind that
>>
>>27338083
Are you an idiot?

The secondary types of the XY starters are Dark (Greninja), Fighting (Chesnaught), and Psychic (Delphox). They were specifically made those types because a lot of people online voiced concerns that the games were becoming too repetitive, and they wanted new starter types. Dark, Fighting, and Psychic are a Rock Paper Scissors trio.
>>
>>27338080
Serperior is not offensive my nigga. Torterra, Chesnaught and even Venusaur are better examples
>>
File: Werehog.gif (2MB, 488x291px) Image search: [Google]
Werehog.gif
2MB, 488x291px
>>27338062
>Rock, Flying, Fighting

I want this.

>Psychic, Fighting, Dark

I want this even more.
>>
>>27338112
coil is great in game and serp is incredibly offensive in comp
>>
>>27337989
Maybe that's why the gave Chespin fucking ROLLOUT by level 16.

>Hey we need to balance this early mon
>I know let's give it Blizzard
>>
>>27338125
>rollout
>good
Oh man they gave froakie lick early fucking OP as shit!
>>
>>27338113
We just got the second one with the 6th gen starters.
>>
>>27338097
ineffective attack ≠ attacks that literally cannot touch the other pokémon. There is a huge difference if I use water gun on a grass type as opposed to thunderbolt on a ground type. Even if i am ill-prepared and I only have a Squirtle to fend off Blue's Bulbasaur I can still take it down with water type moves if needs must.
>>27338111
Those aren't present at the very fucking beginning, they are all given to the final stage. They don't give players an inherit barrier at the beginning of the game. You might say, "oh but early Flying type pokemon cover fighting, bug cover psychic," and that would be fine if Flying and Bug didn't have ≤ 6 fucking regularly accessible attacking moves each as of Gen 2.
>>
>>27337989
Anon pls. Bulbasaur destroys first few gyms in Kanto

Chikrorita has a hard time that true but its still decent

Treecko may be hard to train at first but its amazing later on

Turtwig is a beast

Snivy is fast and even though its not a powerhouse its great defensive-wise

Chespin is very good overall and gets CRAZY coverage
>>
>>27338199
>Bulbasaur destroys first few gyms in Kanto
And we all know how hard the first 2/3 gyms are if you can't use your starter!
>>
>>27338097
>>27338111
That anon is right, Psychic/Dark/Fighting aren't a Rock Paper Scissors trio. Dark types aren't effected by Psychic, whereas Dark can hit both Fighting and Psychic and Fighting can hit both Psychic and Dark. It's not balanced, it's not fair and it can't work. Same goes for Ground/Ice/Flying/Rock/Electric/Whatever.
>>
>>27338180
>Final evos

lel

I could've just caught whichever type I wanted by then.
>>
>>27338227
If you're gonna make that argument, then
>all the birds and bugs in the early game just fuck your shit
is just as benign
>>
File: parrotfish.jpg (12KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
parrotfish.jpg
12KB, 236x300px
Its a crude difficulty setting:
Fire= Easy
Water= Medium
Grass = Hard
>>
>>27338062
Fire/Water/Grass is for the benefit of beginners, even stupid little kids understand what happens when you pit fire against water or grass.
>>
>>27338241
Agreed that the bugs/birds is a weak argument but I think the point about them often being walls is solid.
>>
>>27338259
Two of the last three dungeons in Super Mystery Dungeon are infamous for being basically impossible for grass starters. You have to use up all your items to cheese them because otherwise you just instantly die on the first floor.
>>
>>27338268
I went through there with mudkip and chespin and was alright
>>
File: 12.png (160KB, 437x455px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
160KB, 437x455px
Grass starters are for the cute girls and fuccbois to pick.
>>
>>27338268
Chespin is the best in the game thogh
>>
>>27338288
This
Water starters are quirky bros
Fire starters are tough sauce boys
Grass starters are sexuals
>>
>>27337989
Fire burns Grass
Grass drinks Water
Water douses Fire

>Fire is direct damage and strong against many early types like bug and grass. Water is a good balance of damage and defense as it doesn't have too many weaknesses.
those are complex game mechanics chosen by the developers regardless of the rock pape scissors nature of the three elements

>Don't tell me Pikachu wasn't fifty times more popular than a nobody like Bulbasaur.
the game came first, then the anime that made pikachu the star
>>
>>27338369
It really makes you think. What if they had picked any other pokemon as Ash's companion?
>>
>>27338384
i constantly think of a world where Ash chose clefairy instead like what was originally intended.
>>
>>27338403
Imagine if they had Sandshrew, Meowth, Abra, Vulpix, Poliwag, or Cubone instead of Pikachu
>>
>>27338403
I recall the only reason why Clefairy was considered was because of that manga that predated the anime, and they changed it for a pokemon they felt would appeal to a wider audience.

Among those, Eevee was also a contender - there was another but I don't recall what it was.
>>
The early birds and bugs also didn't have their STAB moves yet. The early game is Tackle to win.
>>
>>27338452
So heres the question. If Ash had gotten Eevee, would he have kept it Eevee, or would he have evolved it?
>>
>>27338476
if not in Kanto probably in Johto or Hoenn because it's a happiness evolution. For ash to not get an Espeon/Umbreon would imply Eevee is unhappy or indifferent despite it's long journey with ash.
>>
>>27338476
No. Nothing that would be a mascot would ever evolve.
>>
>>27338493
Not even for this. They would make it EAT an Everstone first.
>>
Did anyone say Fairy/Fighting/Steel?
>>
>>27338502
I could see them pulling that plot line
>Ash finds some fancy stone or is given a fancy stone as a necklace
>Gives it to his Eevee as a present
>Only finds out later in Johto that the stone is an Everstone
>Go through that same plotline where Ash was given a Thunderstone, only difference is if if he will take the everstone off or keep it on.
>>
>>27338279
>I went through there with mudkip and chespin and was alright

You're thinking of different dungeons. I mean the ones when you go searching for Mew

>>27338322
Yeah, early. It's a long game though.
>>
>>27337989
Literally the only bad Grass-type starter is Meganium. What're you talking about?
>>
>>27338552
It's only the second dungeon that's really a problem. That is unless the first one bombards you with Fire types. It didn't for me, though. I had someone help me, though. They warned me that the postgame is an inordinate difficulty spike, and recommended getting LOTS of Mega Donuts, since leveling up will not get you nearly as much stats.
>>
>>27338591
That's cheating, you should've beat it legitimately.
>>
>>27338599
And take weeks or even a month or more to level up enough to take it on? I don't think so.
>>
>>27338607
Wouldn't work, Grinding doesn't work in SMD. Can't beat proper item usage though, Haunter can't spite you if it's dead
>>
>>27338607
Well, others also had the strategy of using Hoopa, who will come to help you DESPITE the two dungeon's initial condition you must be alone. (because Hoopa is counted as an item, not a pokemon)
>>
>>27338620
Proper? I only ever had to use items for the final boss. (I was a built in sleep inducer)
>>
File: types.png (17KB, 890x766px) Image search: [Google]
types.png
17KB, 890x766px
Because the perfect triangle. No other three types relate to each other this way.

(Yes I'm a graphic designer)
>>
>>27338232
Psychic is weak to Dark.
Dark is weak to Fighting.
Fighting is weak to Psychic.

Who the fuck cares if Dark isn't affected by Psychic? The starter trio is about weakness and that's it.
>>
Ah oui oui le bumpington
>>
>>27337989
Grass along with fire and water, are common elements.
>>
>>27338658
It's also about resistance - Fire resists Grass resists Water resists Fire. It's perfectly balanced. If one type doesn't resist properly, it breaks the balance.
>>
>>27337989

Bulbasaur is objectively the smartet choice in Gen 1
>Sweeps through the first three gyms no problem
>There are better water and fire Pokemon than Blastoise and Charizard while Venusaur is the best plant type
>>
Gamefreak don't even understand their own game

>Grass is a type about stalling but has 12 million easily exploitable weaknesses and its one exclusive status can be removed by switching
>Steel is a type about stalling but has nothing but resistances AND can resist Toxic because ???
>Poison is a type about stalling but, again, is inferior to steel
>Despite the fact Poison types exist, every other pokemon has access to Toxic
>Toxic exists to prevent stall but Steel types are immune to it anyway???
>Despite the fact Poison is about stalling, a large majority of poison pokemon are specifically designed to be direct, often squishy attackers
>Ice types are about being fragile attackers but every new generation introduces another """tanky""" slow ice type to throw on the trash pile
>Instead of buffing Ice types to not be garbage they just create a completely new type to counter Dragons, then make Steel SE against it just to hammer home the point that Steel is the best okay
>There are multiple immunities in the game that make no fucking sense at all and are just pathetic balance band-aids (Fairy-Dragon, Psychic-Dark, Poison-Steel)
>EVERYTHING CAN LEARN TOXIC FOR NO REASON
>EVERYTHING CAN LEARN DOUBLE TEAM FOR NO REASON
>EVERYTHING CAN LEARN SUBSTITUTE FOR NO REASON
>Stealth Rock's mere existence
>>
>>27338975

I think you don't like steel
>>
>tfw gen 7 starters secondary types will be Flying/Rock/Fight
>>
>>27338083
>what is ground/poison/grass
>>
Funny that most grass starters are very good attackers in one way or another except for the Meganium. Venusaur was only a staller in gen 1 really, in gen 3 it can be very powerful attacker with Sleep Powder and Sunny Day/Solar Beam combo. In gen 6 Venusaur has so many offensive moves already.

Water is balance of attack/defense? Let me tell you about a certain frog.

Fire sure been offensive always.
>>
>>27337989
>Pikachu was fifty times more popular than Bulbasaur
In what, RBG? Yellow was made because of the popularity of Pikachu. Besides, Bulba being an electric type instead would remove the type balancing of the starter trio.
>>
>>27338493
They gave freakin' piplup an everstone - there's no way the mascot Pokemon wouldn't get one to keep it from a happiness induced evolution
>>
>>27338250
>hard mode
Gen 1
Bulbasaur is strong against Gym 1, 2, resists 3 and 4, can absorb Toxic in Gym 5, and is super effective against Gym 8.
>>
>>27337989
>something being more difficult is a problem

fuck off
>>
>>27338493

implying the anime follows game rules

>>picachu thundershocks onix in pewter gym...
>>
Not to mention the fire/water/grass triangle is the only one where each type resists itself
>>
>>27340309
Yeah:
>>27338646
>>
>>27338476
I feel like they'd have gone the Pokemon Special route and found an excuse to let it change back into Eevee after battle so that they could display all of its evolution.
>>
Why do we even have water starters? All of the designs are shit except feraligatr.
>>
>>27338062
Grass>Water>Fire matches with green, blue and red
>>
Only other Perfect Trio with Completelt new types with the same Resistance/ Weakness factor is Fighting Rock Flying
Dark is immune to Psychic so
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.