[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things Gamefreak will never fix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

>>
File: venonant-butterfree.png (145KB, 353x400px) Image search: [Google]
venonant-butterfree.png
145KB, 353x400px
Was pic related ever actually acknowledged
>>
>>27316644
They did sort of fix it, though.

In that they created Volbeat and Illumise, ANOTHER pair of cross-breedable pokemon with fairly similar visuals.

I don't see any particular issue with the Nidos having separate dex entries, given that they have separate BSTs and learn lists; it was just weird that they were the only ones.

But now they're not.

The names (Nido-m and Nido-f) are a little uninspired, but that's all, and that's no worse than Feraligatr or Victreebel.
>>
>>27316787
The issue is the breeding.
>>
>>27316797
No, because again, Volbeat and Illumise behave the same way; just as a Nido-f can give birth to a Nido-m, so too can an Illumise give birth to a Volbeat.

That's two different mons where the "same species" has enough gender disparity to warrant separate dex entries. The Nidos are no longer the odd ones out.
>>
>>27316683
No, mostly because venomoth is anatomically a moth, not a butterfly. Caterpillars don't go from cacoon to moth, and naming venomoth Butterfree is absurd. It was always intended this way, never the other way around. Design similarities are coincidences of the style of the artist. He uses the same hand shakes amen nose shapes etc. from time to time. It's just a fan made conspiracy theory.

Venomoth is a moth and looks like one. Butterfree is a butterfly and looks like one, AND fits the evolution line logic. This is a meme
>>
File: 029.png (6KB, 160x142px) Image search: [Google]
029.png
6KB, 160x142px
>>27316822
>Becomes sterile when it evolves
It needs to be fixed bro.
>>
>>27316827
If anything, what likely happened is that the details of each were swapped. As in, Butterfree originally had Venomoths face and eyes, whereas venomoth originally had Butterfrees antennae, hands, eyes and mouth.

No idea why they'd be swapped.. I'd like to see a mockup of these details swapped
>>
>>27316787
>>27316797
My issue is that they're the same name, hatch from the same eggs, and yet they're different "species". It's inconsistent as fuck, and ruffles my autism greatly.
>>
>>27316683
No because this was never intended.
>>
>>27316858
>menopause
I actually think it'd be more interesting if there were OTHER final-stage evos that couldn't breed, rather than "fixing" Nidorina/Nidoqueen

I mean, baby pokes can't breed, is that broken? Why should too-old mons be any different?
>>
File: Disapproval.png (102KB, 345x230px) Image search: [Google]
Disapproval.png
102KB, 345x230px
>>27316912
>>
>>27316827
not to mention that the Caterpie line is one of the few evolutionary lines to actually be in numerical order in the index of gen I
>>
>>27316683

That was never intended.
>>
>>27316876
>My issue is that they're the same name, hatch from the same eggs, and yet they're different "species". It's inconsistent as fuck, and ruffles my autism greatly.
Not inconsistent when Volbeat/Illumise exist.

Unless you'd have preferred they just named them "Nidoran/Nidorin" or something so they had different names besides the symbol.

I kind of like it, though. It strikes me as oddly consistent with the actual conventions of naming things in science, where tradition/precedent is more important than common sense sometimes.

Like how so many dinosaurs have "saurus" in the name despite this being Latin for "lizard" when in fact we now know dinosaurs were primarily feathered prehistoric birds.
>>
>>27316876
Separate dex entries ≠ separate species. There is evidence of this.
>>
>>27316827
>>27316866
>"Ok, so we need a Butterfly design for Poketto Monstars, think you can do it?"
>"Of course, I will, you mean this one right?"
>"Why does the butterfly look like the Venemoth?"
>"That's what you meant right?"
>"The Butterfly evolution was suppose to be for the caterpillar. Whatever, we're keeping it, but you're fired"
>>
>>27317034
>Not inconsistent when Volbeat/Illumise exist
They're Volbeat and Illumise. Not "X (female)" and "X (male)" and hatching from the same eggs, but receiving different dex entries. That's not the same.

>>27317102
What other instances of this are there?
>>
You can get Nidorina from a literally just hatched Nidoran. IT'S NOT AGING!
>>
>>27317102
Dex entries strike me as more like Wikipedia entries than actual classifications.

As long as "Bull" has a separate wiki entry from "Cattle" I'd say the Nidos make at least some sense.
>>
>>27317120
Yes, it is. They can both breed the other. They are the same species. Even then, Diancie is just another kind of Carbink.
>>
>>27317120
>They're Volbeat and Illumise. Not "X (female)" and "X (male)"
True
>and hatching from the same eggs but receiving different dex entries.
But they do. An Illumise egg can hatch into a Volbeat OR Illumise.
>>
One thing i find fun is that despite being programmed male and female they're also technically programmed to be genderless.
>>
>>27317141
To be fair, bull is a term used not just for bovines.
>>
>>27317190
esplain
>>
>>27317167
>But they do. An Illumise egg can hatch into a Volbeat OR Illumise.
Oh shit, seriously? Didn't realize that. I guess they sort of "fixed" it then.

>>27317144
I see what you're saying now. My b.
>>
>>27317144
Have they ever dealt with the Tauros/Miltank thing, by the way?

I don't recall there ever being a way to hatch Tauros from Miltank eggs but maybe a dex entry dealt with the connection...
>>
>>27317167
can Plusle and Minun do the same?
>>
>>27317193
The Wiki entry is SPECIFICALLY about uncastrated male cattle, actually.
>>
>>27317190
Not true, although the only other gendered pokemon that can't breed are legends. Unknown gender, however, could still breed with Ditto, which Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot. There is still some divide between being unknown gender and being unable to breed at all.
>>
>>27317219
No. I think as far as Pokemon is concerned, they are still separate species, although they are associated to each other by both being cows.
>>
>>27317233
...no, weirdly enough.

In fact I think Nidoran m/f and Volbeat/Illumise are the only instances where this happens, and I think the reason is both of them are gender-exclusive pairs of mons.

So are Tauros/Miltank but they can't cross-hatch... Mons like Plusle and Minun can't be gendered "pairs" since you can have a M or F of either.
>>
>>27317270
>So are Tauros/Miltank but they can't cross-hatch... Mons like Plusle and Minun can't be gendered "pairs" since you can have a M or F of either.

Fucking Gamefreak. Hopefully Gen 7 fixes this? Volbeat/Illumise wasn't fixed until GEn 5 anyway.
>>
>>27317141

Pikachu is an mouse Pokémon.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>27317196
>>27317236
Look. They function like male and female Pokemon when gender is involved(attract, breeding, etc) but technically they can be called genderless because they don't have the little symbol(which is in their name, but still)
>>
>>27317309
But Plusle/Minun it's not really necessary since you can hatch either due to females of either being available.

The reason for the VB/Illu thing existing is it's effectively impossible to breed a Volbeat (unless you have a ditto) since it can never be a mother.

It'd be neat if Plusle and Minun cross-hatched... Same with Tauros/Miltank, but then same with Diance hatching Carbinks Phione-style

What's REALLY annoying is that there's no separate dex entries for Meowstic(m) and Meowstic(f) even though they have separate abilities and level-up movepools, which is usually the delineator for separate dex entries (separate stats).
>>
>>27317418
You do realize there's tons of male pokemon with no female counterpart, and some female pokemon with no male counterpart.
>>
>>27317270
So wild Tauros are only born when daddy fucks a ditto. Wild Tauros everywhere are just hunting down dittos to fuck.
>>
>>27316876
Have you tried not starting with Gen 6?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-22-18-41-15.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-22-18-41-15.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>27316827
Moths most definitely have caterpillar stages
>>
File: photo.jpg (24KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
24KB, 250x250px
>>27316644
>>
File: melo.jpg (12KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
melo.jpg
12KB, 236x354px
>>27316644
>No Griseous Orb equivalent
>Forever a temporary gimmick form
>>
>>27316827
>Caterpillars don't go from cacoon to moth
Yes, they do anon.
Caterpillar is just a fancy name for Butterfly/Moth Larva.
A cocoon is just an extra protective layer that surrounds some pupa, not the pupa itself.
Besides, you're bitching about anatomy, but you're fine with a fuzzball turning into a moth with no transitional stage?
>>
I like what the Chinese translation did. the names sound nearly identical to the english and japanese, but the male has writes "ran" with the character for "gentleman" and the female uses the character for "orchid".
I think it would've been clever in English to call them Nidoran and Nidoranne
>>
>>27316683
Honestly?
While switching Venomoth and Butterfree looks much better, it was probably never intended to be like that. Gen 1 had a lot of cases of copypasted designs, most likely Venonat is just a victim of sameface.
>>
My heart.

;~;
>>
Is there any way to blame it on sexual dimorphism, even if they pretty much the same, that's the only way it'd make sense
>>
Miltank and Tauros should have gotten a babby prevo in Gen 2 when they made Tyrogue to connect the Hitmons together.
>>
>>27319243
thiserino
>>
>>27319036
Dammit that is smart
>>
They don't have to fix a thing. Everything is as it's intended to be.
>>
>>27318782
Yeah, that time when I started with Gen 1, back when there weren't genders, so this was at least an exception.
>>
>>27316858
I think the problem is that it becomes fixed upon evolving
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.