[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/ - Hacking and Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 60

File: Map.png (181KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
181KB, 960x960px
▀▀▀
[ROM HACKING]

Notable ROM hacks: pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Gen 4 - 6 Hack Tools:
http://pastebin.com/WvTzcdPR

▀▀▀
[ESSENTIALS]

Essentials Engines:
http://pastebin.com/G5PdvaGD

Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki
RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar
http://imgur.com/a/CiudS (WIP Gen 5 tiles)

▀▀▀
[SITES FOR SHARING GAMES]
http://www.pokecommunity.com/ (better for ROM hacks)
http://reliccastle.com/forums/ (better for Essentials games)
>>
First for ROMhacking is obsolete.

Also first for Essentials is edgy garbage.

Also first for doors.
>>
How do you feel about non-Pokémon music in fan games?
>>
>>27311164
I'd say it should be avoided in traditional games, but if you're trying to go outside the box concept-wise, why not?

>>27311154
>>>/t/oaster is right this way, sir.
>>
Any plans to fix the mass of dead links in the rec pastebin?

Also, I want to replay kanto while being able to catch/evolve everything in one cart,and mix up the distribution of pokemon a bit to make it fresh. Which is better: firered omega, ultraviolet, or should I just use the randomizer? Pros/cons of each?
>>
>>27312156
Yeah, I'm going to sort them out and replace them when I find live links.
>>
>>27311131
How did you deal with map transition and panoramas ?
>>
>>27313373
Haven't dealt with that issue yet.
I think I'll end up pulling the same thing ORAS did where routes were basically loaded individually with a "door" in between. It really cuts down on memory usage and save the trouble of writing extra scripts.
>>
Does anybody know any decent romhack/essentials Game with fakemon
>>
File: sienna.png (57KB, 239x160px) Image search: [Google]
sienna.png
57KB, 239x160px
>>27313648
Sienna, though it's not entirely complete. It IS 8 gyms, though.
>>
File: Jive_Turkey.png (47KB, 436x384px) Image search: [Google]
Jive_Turkey.png
47KB, 436x384px
>mfw when decide to noodle around with a 7/8 bassline I had just come up with this morning
>after less than 3 hours, get this beauty
>never did jazz before, let alone anything in a 70s style
https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/gym-poisonsteel

Why is writing jazz so intuitive?
For some of the chords in the keyboard, I just slapped in the lead guitar's part in a different inversion.
>>
>>27313877
Whoops, this is actually the Poison/Sound Gym.
Steel is paired with Fire in another gym.
>>
File: Route 22 v2.jpg (536KB, 1184x704px) Image search: [Google]
Route 22 v2.jpg
536KB, 1184x704px
Answer to an anon on the last thread:
Still has the same basic premise: a different take on Kanto after a Great War between Kanto and Johto instigated by the Indigo Clan of Indigo Plateau and stopped by the Elite Four at Mount Silver. The Official Pokemon League has opened up at Indigo Plateau, trainer licenses are being issued, and the reforms implemented by the E4 are being tested. Meanwhile, Giovanni's Team Rocket is up to no good, kidnapping and robbing and stuff with some sort of nefarious scheme.
I had to move the project to another laptop (RIP old faithful HP) to continue it. I'll be working on it here and there on the side.
Expect 386 Pokemon across 6 generations, maybe 7.
New maps and a B-plot, redesigned old maps and an expanded A-plot.
If anybody played that awful demo I released on pokecommunity, I'm sorry. I'm doing much better now.
>>
Didn't get a response last thread, so asking again for feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/vs-champion-iris-gbc-8-bit-wip

It's short but I'm just asking if the general style and priorities (regarding what parts of the song I ported) that way I don't waste time doing the whole song this way if there are issues with it.
>>
>>27314779
I think it's going really well.
Just one thing I'd do to make the melody at 0:10 a little more bell-like is break each note into two equal parts with the second note made to play between 1/2 to 3/4 the first note's volume. I might even suggest changing the panning between both note-halves.
>>
File: quiet_night.webm (151KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
quiet_night.webm
151KB, 256x192px
>>27313459
Ha, too bad. Essentials's map connection was really convenient. Transfer events will be the way to go.
>>
File: Holey_Sheet.jpg (443KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Holey_Sheet.jpg
443KB, 768x1024px
>>27315327
Holey sheet, anon.
This looks really good m8.
>>
File: 2 secs in Paint.png (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2 secs in Paint.png
30KB, 640x480px
Shit I left out some instruments in the last upload.
This should be a better quality, since I ripped it straight from the RAM.

https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/poisonsound-gym-high-quality-rip
>>
>>27315512
>high quality rip
>Flintstones
Well played.
>>
>>27315695
Ten bucks if you can get the theme at the very beginning.

Is it bad if I genuinely like the Flinstones theme in 7/8?
>>
File: 1469152310840.jpg (277KB, 1280x2010px) Image search: [Google]
1469152310840.jpg
277KB, 1280x2010px
>>27315327
Mind tossing up your tileset again? I think I asked for it before but the go threads killed the /Heg/. I would love any and all material you are willing to share.

Honestly your game looks beautiful. So comfy. Ecstatic to hear more. How did you go about adding the sky reflection?
>>
I want to try and make a rom hack, I have ideas for a region and plot and such, but half the links are dead, I don't have RMXP, and even the 721 bases have their links all missing, How can I even get into this?
>>
>>27315974
Which links are dead?
All the links I opened in the "Getting started" Pastebin work for me.
>>
>>27316256
They link to Pokecommunity posts that have half the links removed. The script editor is a notably missing one.
>>
>>27315327
Looks great. Are you willing to share some of that goodness?
>>
>>27316369
do you mean:
>http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025
Scroll to the bottom of the post and pick mirror three under "Downloads"
>>
>>27315799
Isn't it just Miror B's theme?
>>
File: 1462673634290.png (166KB, 874x1421px) Image search: [Google]
1462673634290.png
166KB, 874x1421px
So I didn't get a response last time so I'll post here. How's progress on this?
>>
>>27316798
ape escape monkey should become specter

also needs a giygas line
>>
>>27316798
>dankey kang
>mecha-hitler
>sonichu
>roothoot
>WT snacks
Memetic oversaturation, but top-notch spritework
>>
>>27316798
Oh hey, you're back!
>>
>>27316786
Yep.
>>
File: TILESET_ARDENCE_1X2.png (34KB, 256x1152px) Image search: [Google]
TILESET_ARDENCE_1X2.png
34KB, 256x1152px
>>27315904
>>27316411

Here is the tileset of that particular map. For the sky reflection I did it the same way Max did, I used a transparent water autotile and added a moving panorama. The problem is that panoramas don't work well with essentials map connection, so it's hard to use.
>>
File: AutoTile_eauX2.png (4KB, 384x128px) Image search: [Google]
AutoTile_eauX2.png
4KB, 384x128px
>>27317255
And here's the water autotile
>>
>>27317088
Oh I'm not the author, I was just wondering if anybody else knew about it.
>>
File: octo.png (144KB, 694x292px) Image search: [Google]
octo.png
144KB, 694x292px
Figured I'd share this here. I worked on typing up a document with some information about the project I've been working on called Pokemon Dioptase

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CLciK3nABFEnAO8igHviN1gpTuu5YrBGfNehk8iqYys/edit?usp=sharing

All comments, crit, etc are appreciated. Still a huge WIP.
>>
Anyone got a working RMXP download/crack? I'm not paying money to make a Pokemon game.
>>
>>27318109
>I'm not paying money to make a Pokemon game.
It's really not that much, anon. You can use it to make other games, too, you know.
But a crack is bound to be a quick YouTube search away.
>>
>>27318168
>believing any crack downloads on youtube

no thanks, not going to download keyloggers
>>
File: WeaponsFactory.jpg (618KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
WeaponsFactory.jpg
618KB, 900x600px
The Poison/Sound one was a one-day task, but I finally finished this thing that's been sitting on my computer for months.

https://soundcloud.com/dimbus-maximus/gymfiresteel?in=dimbus-maximus/sets/meta-mercury

So for gyms, I've only decided on five type combinations so far:
>Poison/Sound
>Fire/Steel
>Grass/Rock
>Fighting/Dark
>Fairy/Dragon
>>
>>27313648
Pokémon Solar Light and Lunar Dark. I'd wait a little bit as I believe they're preparing a new release but as of now it's a 5 gym demo (iirc) and from what I played about 7 hours or so of playtime.
>>
>>27318276
I'm thinking the last three will be:
>Ice/Ground
>Bug/Psychic
>Ghost/Normal

I still plan on representing the remaining types.
For instance, One region has a hydroelectric plant on it which I could have a important trainer who battles using Water and Electric pokémon.
Flying is also already taken care of.
>>
>tfw my ROM hacking has halted because of GO
Shit's too addictive, I swear.
>>
>>27319523
Stop shilling.
>>
>>27319607
I'm not.
This is a legitimate problem.
>>
Would it be possible (or, How hard would it be) to create a Gen III Randomizer with these stipulations:

General:
- Starters are all lowest in 3 stage Evolution and follow a Rock>Paper>Scissors Pattern

- Evolution Changes: Trade + Item Evolutions only require to use the Item (Marval Scale added to game)
Kadabra (Lv 36)-> Alakazam
Graveler (Lv 41)-> Golem
Haunter (Lv 41)-> Gengar
Machoke (Lv 46)-> Machamp

Wild Pokemon:
- Wild Pokemon are randomized in a way so that Pokemon are only replaced with Pokemon in the same (FRLG) habitat (Grassland, Forest, Rough Terrain, Water's Edge, Sea, Mountain, Cave, Urban)

- The Randomizer trends towards Pokemon with similar catch rates (Catch Rates would have to be fixed (i.e. not 45) for Fossils, Starters, and Pseudo-Legendaries)

- No Baby, Stone-evolved, Item-evolved, Cover Legendary, or Mystical Legendary Pokemon in the wild

- No Pokemon with Shadow Tag (Wynaut, Wobbafet) or Arena Trap (Diglett, Dugtrio, and Trapinch's second ability) in wild

- Fishing will only get you Water 2 Egg Group Pokemon

- Rock Smash will only get you Mineral Egg Group Pokemon, except Voltorb/Electrode

(cont.)
>>
>>27320120
Trainers:
- Everyone's AI set to whatever the smartest is.

- All Movesets are Battle Frontier movesets (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57303795/EmeraldBattleFrontierComplete.xlsx)

- The Randomizer only replaces the Pokemon based on what the Battle Frontier group of the original Pokemon is:
>Group 1: Entry 1-162
>Group 2: Entries 163-267 or 268-372 (Two possible movesets)
>Group 3: Entries 373-468, 469-564, 565-660, or 661-756 (Four possible movesets), or 801-836 (Eight possible movesets for these Nine Pokemon)
- Trainers retain their specialty:
Aqua/Magma Grunt: Dark Type, BF Group 1
Aqua/Magma Admin: Dark Type, BF Group 2
Aqua/Magma Leader: Dark Type, BF Group 3
Pokemon Ranger: BF Group 2
Ace Trainer: BF Group 3

Youngster/Lass: Grassland Habitat
Beauty: ??? (Water's Edge Habitat, Non-Water 2/3 Egg Group?)
Hiker: Cave/Mountain Habitat
Picnicker/Camper: Forest Habitat (Non-Bug/Flying/Grass Egg Group?)
Sailor: Sea Habitat
Swimmer: Sea/Water's Edge Habitat
Tuber: Water's Edge Habitat

Bug Catcher: Bug Egg-group, BF Group 1
Bug Maniac: Bug Egg-group, BF Group 2/3
Bird Keeper: Flying Egg-group
Fisherman: Water 2 Egg-group
Poke Maniac: Monster Egg-Group
Aroma Lady: Grass Egg-Group
Ninja Boy: Poison-type, Non-grass Egg-Group
Dragon Tamer: Dragon Egg-group, Non-Poison-Type
Blackbelt/Battle Girl: Primary Fighting-Type, BF Group 1
Expert: Primary Fighting-Type, BF Group 2/3
Guitarist: Electric-Type
Kindler: Fire-Type
Hex Maniac: Ghost-Type
Psychic: Psychic-Type
Parasol Lady: ??? (Rain Dance in moveset?)
Twins: ??? (Helping Hand or Follow Me in moveset?)
Ruin Maniac: Rock/Ground/Steel-Type, Cacnea Line
Pokemon Breeder: Baby Pokemon
Rich Boy/Lady: Normal/Dark-Type, Field Egg Group
Gentleman: Meowth-line, Snubull-line, Eevee, Smeargle
Poke Fan: ???
Poke Collector: ???
Triathlete: ??? (Maybe Higher BF Level Guitarist, Swimmer, and Bird Keeper?)

END (I think)
>>
>>27320136
I forgot to say, Pokemon would get their Battle frontier Item and EV spread also.
>>
What makes a good starting town for a fire red hack? How many houses are too much? Is having a gym/mart/center in the starting town bad or good?

I can see both sides of the story and I'm torn.
>>
>>27320242
It depends on how much you want to use the town. If you're just going to start there and never return then small, but if you're going to want to make it a notable part of gameplay then go all out, at least in my opinion
>>
>>27311154
>Essentials
>Edgy
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>27320337
Essentials is easy to use, often leading to lowest common denominator garbage (see: Pokemon Reborn). Obviously a lot of Essentials projects are actually good; the best one I've ever seen is Uranium; but you have to slog through a lot of edgy shit first.
>>
>>27320242
It's not like you have to follow the official games. You could start in the capital city of your region if you wanted too. As long as it makes sense do whatever you want. The last badge of RB was in viridian city after all..
>>
is light platinum good?
>>
is light platinum good? if not can you point me in the direction of a good hack
>>
Hey, maybe I missed this, but what are the rules for using the Gen 5 tiles in the OP? Who should I credit if I want them in my game?
>>
>>27321729
I've seen people play it all the time
Should be pretty good based on the description

>>27321811
You can use them any way you like
Just credit me
>>
>>27321886
Sweet, thanks. What are you planning to rip next?
>>
>>27322374
I'm currently formatting cave tiles and looking into reversal mountain's exterior tiles.
After that is castle tiles. N's Castle it mostly texture on model, so that will be tricky to grid.
>>
Not a beg post but anyone here up for making music for my game? I got the art and coding down, just not much of a composer myself. Looking for a sort of fiddle/harmonica soundtrack.
>>
>>27314525
Link?
>>
>>27322583
I'm interested, but pretty busy atm
What project is this?
>>
File: 1461900290499.png (45KB, 1128x180px) Image search: [Google]
1461900290499.png
45KB, 1128x180px
>>27322940
The all-type combo game.
>>
>>27324555
What a cute Oddish
>>
>>27317255

Can these be used?, if so who should I credit.
>>
>>27316798
this looks amazing, blessings upon its development
>>
Does anyone have this tileset already formatted for essentials? It would save me a lot of time.
>>
>>27313877
Man, that tune is incredibly catchy. Nice work.
>>
File: doors-a.png (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
doors-a.png
2KB, 64x64px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxbsV8QWGic
>>
File: doors-b.png (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
doors-b.png
2KB, 64x64px
>>27326738
2/?
>>
File: doors-c.png (3KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
doors-c.png
3KB, 128x128px
>>27326761
3/?
Just realized I forgot to resize the first two, but you only have to double them.
>>
File: doors-d.png (3KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
doors-d.png
3KB, 128x128px
>>27326941
4/4
>>
>>27324756
Yep they can be used. Credit should go to Kyle-dove, zeo254 and Carchi.
>>
I've recently gotten a copy of RPG Maker XP and I'd like to start messing with the Pokemon Essentials to make something cool. I'm struggling to choose a tileset though. Some of the ones I found are mixed styles or don't work without heavy editing because of bad mirrored tiles and shit like that. What's your favourite tilesets? Preferably a versatile one, generation 4 or 5 is my preferred aesthetic.
>>
>>27327910
I'm working on ripping gen 5 tiles, which you can download in the OP.
I should be finished by the time you're going into serious detail on maps.
>>
File: FqNEGEy.png (6KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
FqNEGEy.png
6KB, 240x160px
How do I apply MrDollsteak's decap and Attack rombase to my fire red rom? Shouldn't I just be able to add the ips to the fire red rom? Whenever I do it a lot of the ingame text gets really fucked up
>>
I'll bump for data gathering
http://www.strawpoll.me/10816904
>>
>>27329731
I'd rather play something that doesn't follow the gym formula.

If it involves going from town to town, fighting some sort of boss, then its no different from the typical game either.
>>
File: 1458161956860.jpg (18KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1458161956860.jpg
18KB, 500x376px
>>27329872
How would you make a JRPG without periodic bosses?
>>
>>27329914
By making an RPG without periodic bosses. Which is kinda boring in itself. No bosses or big bads? Fuck that.
>>
>>27329914
It sort of changes genres at that point.
If Pokémon didn't have a bad guy to pursue, it would take the form of one of those mobile farming game where your purpose would be raising pokémon and finding rarer ones.
Nothing wrong with a good simulation game though.
>>
>>27330235
I mean, at that point, is it even a Pokemon game though? Seems like it would be pretty boring to me.
>>
>>27330303
It's like Pokémon GO, except without the walking gimmick and hopefully more depth. It wouldn't appeal to me but it's a Pokémon game.
>>
>>27330303
If it's about pokémon, then sure it is.
A more elaborate "M Pokémon Ranch" title would be a cool project that doesn't follow any of the previous patterns.
>>
When will the Essentials meme die?
>>
>>27326271
I got ya boo.

http://reliccastle.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=595

This is partly that. Theres another but ive edited the poop out of it so having a hard time finding the original.
>>
>>27329872
>>27329914
>>27330235
>>27330303
>>27330371
I was actually thinking of something a lot more erratic in pacing.
Like trying to track down a legendary like the guy chasing Suicune from the anime.
And to both spite this anon and also work with the cool idea they proposed have trainer battles start with an actual question ie. "Hey you're from pallet? Wanna battle?"
You could say no and the npc's would be varying levels of disappointed for saying no.
Maybe a section where someone steals one or more of your pokemon somehow and if you steadfastly refused to battle you just lost them.

Hmm I might even go all bioware on it and have your decisions alter how the legendary treats you at the end of the game ranging from acceptance and joining to ... not sure how dark it should be yet.
>>
>>27317740
Just checked /vr/ and found this, >>>/vr/3375930

He's still alive.
>>
File: Cerulean and half of 10.jpg (464KB, 1178x804px) Image search: [Google]
Cerulean and half of 10.jpg
464KB, 1178x804px
How am I looking, anons?
Cerulean; inspired by YAFRH, Surge is the leader here and runs the Corps of Engineers, who diverted the Moon Falls reservoir through a series of caverns around Route 9 to generate hydroelectric power for the Power Plant on Route 10. The Cerulean Caverns (connected via the red line) are to be a labyrinthine replacement for Cerulean Cave.
Might need to expand Nugget Bridge map to account for the slope of Mt. Moon though.
Route 10; the shrub is a placeholder for a cut tree. Not much has changed except to account for the implementation of the CC opening. I just never got what that body of water was supposed to be, some blocky mountain lake? Did it have anything to do with the Power Plant?
These are things I hope to explore in the hack.
Also, the whole Unifying Road Network thing I had in mind at first is being phased out. I had a revelation as I worked on Route 22's redesign; in the Pokemon World, most people probably have a mount capable of taking them at least a few miles over to the nearest commercial community (like if you live in Pallet you can probably take your Pidgeot or ride your Tauros or whatever over to Viridian for groceries without worrying about wild pokemon.)
Some roads can be sensible in that they facilitate trade, but others (like Pallet>Viridian and Cerulean>Rock Tunnel, etc.) just become unnecessary.
>>27322823
I have a thread at Pokecommunity but it's almost 5 months old and the screens and demo are from the first very rough version. I'd rather just keep it mostly confined to asking for map feedback on /heg/ for now.
>>
>>27332995
this actually looks really good anon
I assume youwoul'dnt just make a straight path for the water? maybe a small few zig zags because of tougher rock shown by boulders or something inside?

You are also probably much too far into it by now but the amount of steps taken Should be similar imo for the length of the the cave vs the overworld
>>
>>27331639
Heres some stuff I got in my game which may also work for this:

I have options with several npcs which are affected by how kind are to them. Being a caring person may reward you with healing items, while being abrasive gets you attack boosting items. Thus a person can play the "tough guy" and better lead an offensive team or a "passive guy" and have more healing and defense stuff.

Theres also a script that allows for reputation with npcs based on your gym badge amount. In my game, npcs will respect you more over time. One town starts off as being very shut off, but when you come back later you find your influence has got them to open up a once closed off road making a nifty shortcut.
>>
>>27333389
I actually haven't begun the cavern. I've only done a few interiors and new maps so far, don't want to get ahead of myself. so I'll keep what you said in mind. I did the top of Moon Falls (or at least, the relevant part to Mt. Moon's interior) already but I don't think it all adds up with the exterior; can't do much about that without making Mt. Moon too much bigger though.
As for the Caverns layout, it would be something like Cerulean Cave x3.
>>
>>27333464
That's pretty nice, having meaningful consequences to your actions really makes the world feel alive.
>>
>>27329914
Periodic bosses are fine, but building a world full of towns that you'll only visit once just to fight a gym leader is annoying.

A lot of fangames feel too samey and I think it's because of the gyms.
>>
Is Pokemon Go spoofing allowed in this thread?
>>
>>27334513
No, this thread is for ROMhacks and fangames. You want to try /ekx/ if you're looking for that type of hacking, I'm not sure if they allow GO but it's closer than what this thread is for.
>>
>>27334513
It has its own thread.
Like. Two of them.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/champion-iris-gbc-8-bit-wip-2

Better WIP, I'm almost at the chorus. I altered the melody at 0:10 to decrease in volume like suggested, I think it does help the song.
>>
>>27334649
Sounds a lot better!
nice going
>>
File: wolflink.png (3KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
wolflink.png
3KB, 168x168px
>>27316798
That would be me. I'm taking a break at the moment but here, have a new sprite for the list.
>>
>>27335303
Sonic should be a 3 part evolution with his final being Hyper Sonic. Niggas always forget Hyper Sonic.
>>
>>27335334
Isn't Hyper Sonic like, exactly the same but light blueish?
>>
File: mode 7 psuedo 3D.png (301KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
mode 7 psuedo 3D.png
301KB, 480x380px
If I get this script working for Essentials, will it be on par with rom hacks?
If not, what else?
>>
>>27336062
Max is the Messiah of essentials thank you for slowly breaking down the prejudice.
>>
>>27336062
Looks like Minecraft.
>>
What makes a good Pokémon storyline, /heg/?
>>
File: 1468709810344.png (133KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468709810344.png
133KB, 500x500px
>>27336515
>>
>>27336560
So do you mean it works like Doom 4's storyline where it is mostly in the background if you want to look for it?
>>
>>27336515
Characters make good story, and story makes good characters. If you can write a good story in general, you can write a good pokémon story.

A big plus for character development in Pokémon games, however, is a character's selection in Pokémon partners. A team can say a lot of things about the way a character trains, sees pokémon, and even the way a character thinks.

Let's say I have a quirky girl as an important supporting character. She got, I dunno, pigtails and a modified school uniform with her favorite Pokemon as a motif. I want to give her a good team that defines her newness to training and naïvety when it comes to interactions with others.
She might like cute things like Skitty, a pretty "naïve" looking pokémon, but I want to limit that idea as much as I can, as she'll come off as one dimensional.
I'll add Farfetch'd to her team: not too "cute" but a great choice for an early trainer. She can be seen as a little more well-rounded, now that she picked a Pokémon based around combat, as she is still an aspiring trainer.
I have to weaker Pokémon so I'll want to include some sort of "powerhouse" to her team. I think Pyroar would be a good fit. Powerful, but still friendly looking enough to be attractive to such a character. Also, Pyroar leans toward special attacks, unlike the other two. For color diversity, since most of my Pokémon are brown or cream, I'll add a bluer Munchlax. Now she has a quicky pokémon, like herself, that can bump into the player on occasions for comic relief. Huh, maybe it can be really drawn to food, which could start you writing up a side quest based one that.
Now, as I went about fleshing out what was a rather flat character, I realized that all my Pokémon are Normal-type, but no worries!...

This girl character that eerily reminded you of XY's flat-but-helpful rivals is now my game's eventual Normal-type gym leader, who begins as a rival, but along the way, finds her own purpose. Instant story material!
>>
>>27313877
This could use work, but the idea itself is solid. there are ways to make this better like fixing a couple of the harmonies and making lines more apparent. I could always help you with this if you want.

also writing jazz is as intuitive as you understand the theory behind it, not saying that to bump you down a notch but saying you're scratching the surface of your own potential. there's much more to learn, within reason
>>
These are the best threads on vp
>>
File: 1456119809838.gif (119KB, 266x224px) Image search: [Google]
1456119809838.gif
119KB, 266x224px
I wanna make a game, gimmie a tl;dr on how. I know nothing about writing code or anything like that.

I literally guarantee the game I make would be amazing, if I knew how to make one.
>>
>>27338372
If you want to make generic gen 3 ROM hack #1,234,567:
>go to beginners lounge on Pokecommunity
>read all the getting started shit
>read diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial
>learn to hex edit
>learn ASM and C
>learn to map (this is going to take quite a lot of practice)
>>
File: sea mauville.png (285KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
sea mauville.png
285KB, 500x458px
>>27336515
In my opinion the best way to do story (in general, not just Pokémon) is to avoid an active narrative and instead hide lore throughout the world for the player to piece together, or just ignore if they so wish. The Cinnabar Mansion did this, as did Sea Mauville.

If you want an example of what not to do, play through Chargestone Cave in B/W. There you will be stopped in your tracks several times so the NPCs can spoonfeed you their drivel. There are much more clever and interesting ways to tell a story than to force the player to listen to NPC monologue.
>>
>>27337116
Where could I get more info on writing jazz or fixing the things you mentioned?
Any good links?
>>
/vp/, recommend me a vanilla+ hack for Platinum. All pokemon available in the wild, infinite TMs, trade evolutions replaced with something else, the usual stuff.
Origin Platinum seems good, but it doesn't mention TMs and it's oddly proud about the fact that a lot of NPC dialogue got replaced with retarded topical references
>>
>>27339146
If you like difficulty, grab BS Plat from the nuzlocke thread. It's not amazing, but it's better than all the other Platinum hacks around. Unfortunately no one has bothered to implement infinite TMs in any gen 4 game yet.
>>
>>27336062
YES IT WILL.
>>
>>27339427
Wait shit i didn't sage this.
>>
>>27339427
You put it in the wrong field anyway.
>>
>>27339518
Yeah, I know. It was left over from a b8 thread I did properly sage.
>>
File: happy bapper.png (13KB, 76x67px) Image search: [Google]
happy bapper.png
13KB, 76x67px
Anyone got demos they'd like to post?
>>
Can anyone recommend a fire red hack that adds all Pokémon up to gen 6, as well as fairy type? Preferably pretty vanilla but a new game would be fine too.
>>
Someone should really update the pastebin. eXtreme script editor is no longer available from HackMew, If you want it you have to grab it here.

https://github.com/Gamer2020/Unofficial_XSE

without AdvanceMap and XSE you really can't make a good gen 3 hack.
>>
>>27342038
Try Gaia, it's an original game but it has Pokémon from all six regions and they all have their gimmicks correctly implemented (like Flabébé having different flower colors and Burmy changing cloaks depending on what map you're in).
>>
Newfag to romhacking. I've been itching to play some pokemon but dont have a ds. I've played through the older generation of games and I'm looking for something new in terms of story. Just want to get that comfy adventure feeling from the old days. Do i just need a tba emulator? And what hacks are fun and comfy adventures with something kind of new?
>>
>>27342376
>Do i just need a tba emulator?

What does tba mean in this context?

>>27342376
>what hacks are fun and comfy adventures with something kind of new?

Try Brown if you want something really vanilla. Bronze is a good hack too if you can stomach the memes.
>>
>>27342376
Gaia is genuinely relaxing, makes it feel like a complete, real Pokemon game. Discovery is also very promising.
>>
>>27342449
Sorry buddy gba stupid auto correct
>>
File: 1458326181962.png (90KB, 301x206px) Image search: [Google]
1458326181962.png
90KB, 301x206px
What's the best place to check tools for viruses?
>>
>>27342618
Throw 'em up on virustotal, be aware that you might get false positives from some a/vs.
>>
>>27336515
What I love seeing in RPGs is your effect on the world as you progress through the narrative. Save the day and maps should change; towns should prosper; NPCs should recognise you at first sight the more famous you get.

So I'd say a narrative tied into the world around you is quite important.
>>
File: fuck.png (53KB, 1053x878px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
53KB, 1053x878px
>>27343102
Well, fuck. I had hoped /heg/ was trustworthy.
>>
Hello anons. Writing a spec list of Pokemon to appear in my hack from 1-6 (possibly 7 as well); limit is 386 and I've made room for 50. Not too familiar with post-Gen III Pokemon, which is why I'm asking for help.
Desires: add further cross-gen post-III evolutions; trim down non-evolving pokemon; add good pokemon of all types from IV-VI(VII)
Legendaries: too many altogether by VI(VII). Pruned to 7; however, Mewtwo and Jirachi will not be capturable because they are plot specific.
Starters: Fire Red Base, going with Fire Red starters. Any more would be redundant. Thoughts?
Cut many weak or redundant pokemon. Need suggestions for additions. Some that I like from IV may be redundant, such as the Shinx line, Starly line, and Pachirisu. Need suggestions for cool bugs to replace the ones cut. Need suggestions on what else to cut.

List: http://pastebin.com/xgHQbUzi
>>
>>27343381
Those are most likely not real viruses. I mean depending on what the files do some utilize virus like coding for "good" such as keygens or cracks. Notice how the names of the viruses are all "Generic" don't take my word for it though always be cautious.
>>
What are your thoughts on time-sensitive quests? Say you need to talk to someone but they're only at that location during a certain window, like buying an item but the shop closes at 10 PM. I know most main quests shouldn't be time sensitive since you shouldn't have to wait a few hours in order to progress, but I feel like this would open up some quest options since you could have two different quest branches which diverge due to a time-related constraint, such as being too slow to talk to someone
>>
is pokecommunity down for anyone else?
>>
>>27346424
Normally, that's fine. But in ROMhacks it doesn't work because the internal clock is fucky, especially in PSP/phone emulators or on bootleg carts.
>>
>>27346968
There's another way to do this though.
With JPAN's engine you can easily make use of a neat little timer that accurately counts hours, minutes and Seconds.
It can be started, stopped and reset at will, just as easily. It's mentioned in the hacked engine doc if anyone is interested.
>>
File: pkmn logo.png (9KB, 171x106px) Image search: [Google]
pkmn logo.png
9KB, 171x106px
Bump.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (7KB, 172x200px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
7KB, 172x200px
>>27348453
>the word RED is blue
>>
>>27348693
That's fair.
>>
File: Iris (Champion).png (79KB, 275x281px) Image search: [Google]
Iris (Champion).png
79KB, 275x281px
My longest cover is done. This was one monster of a song, almost 2000 lines of code even after every optimization I tried to do to cut down on size.

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/vs-champion-iris-gbc-8-bit
http://pastebin.com/1TeQ2sMe
>>
>>27338740
There aren't many good resources online, but I could definitely help you through soundcloud PM or whatever you want.
>>
I'm going to start making Pokemon for RPG Maker MV because people are working too slowly and we don't even have a decent tileset yet, Probably the easiest part to make.
>>
>>27336843
There's a reason people shit on Essentials. This kind of shit is why.

Turn off your trip if you're gonna pull stuff like this
>>
>>27317748
Looks cool, I might wanna play this someday
>>
>tfw theres no "this is the objective best hack for this game" for Platinum like there are with any game Dray's worked with
Which platinum hack is best platinum hack?
>>
>>27352365
So... why? You didn't actually make a point here. Why was what he said so bad?
>>
>>27352365
>making it about essentials
You're the living proof that people can sperg about the most stupid shit.
>>
>>27354118
Because this game is going to be edgy as hell.

I don't want character development in my fangames. I just want to be the very best. This is MY story, not some Mary Sue waifubait piece of shit.

Fuck off.
>>
>>27354261
stfu
>>
File: (You).png (1MB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
1MB, 900x1200px
>>27354296
Go play Reborn, you shlubby redditor.
>>
>>27311131
I always wondered and I figured that'd be the right place to ask; Why are there no Sinnoh hacks? (I mean proper ones, not just a "catch them all in one game" edits)
is it a lack of interest or skills/tools?
I'd imagine gen4 is harder than gen3 but Drayano has edited HGSS scripts before and it worked pretty much perfectly.
I'd honestly pay for a facelifted/improved Sinnoh or maybe a fangame made with HGSS tiles and mechanics
>>
Is there a hack like sacred gold for ORAS?

As in, all pokemons are available, no need to trade for evolution, difficulty boosted and gym leaders have 6 pokemons
>>
>>27354476
https://twitter.com/Drayano60/status/662793363255656448
>>
File: 1380122492500.png (32KB, 239x252px) Image search: [Google]
1380122492500.png
32KB, 239x252px
>>27349147
Amazing.
>>
If you haven't seen Pokémon Unity, you should.
Source Code maybe released soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjkJwaRqCo

>>27354379
Gen 4 has a completely different engine that has, yet to be completely understood.
There a a few map and script editors, but they are extremely limited

>>27354476
Either this:
>>27354512
or Rutile Ruby.
>>
>>27351151
Sure sounds great.
I believe I've been following you for some time now.
>>
File: CRY.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CRY.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>27354788
Man, they just keep finding ways to one-up romhacking, huh? But I can't give up.
>>
>>27354261
>quirky female characters
>edgy
I don't think you know what that word means. I think the word you were intending to use is like "autistic" or something. The complaint about a mary sue supporting character is valid, but all the guy did was describe her character. He didn't say at all how much focus would be on her, just who she is and what her arc is. Doesn't mean the main character wouldn't still be the protagonist.

>>27338661
I don't disagree with you exactly, but lore isn't a story, it's world-building. I mean there's small stories within it, but if it was part of the main plot, it wouldn't be lore, at least not in the traditional sense. Basically I think of lore as "flavor" and the plot as the main course. The question had to do with the main course I think. That said I do love lore though. It's especially good in video-games because as you mentioned, players get to explore it on their own as opposed to being "spoonfed" basic dialogue, which pokemon stories are guilty of. Like another anon said, pokemon never really had a good main story, just simple stuff about going on an adventure.
>>
>>27343204
It's almost like that makes things believable, as if your actions actually have some kind of effect.

Too bad mainline pokemon will never do that, the only changes there are inexplicably broken bridges getting fixed so you can progress.
>>
Anyone got an opinion on best hack that removes the need for a HM slave/wasting slots on HMs.
>>
>>27354331
>>27354261
>>27352365

Boy, where do I even start?
First of all, character development has been in every main series game. The games wouldn't be memorable at all without it, because if all the characters were flat, there could be no story progression at all. There would be zero player immersion, memorable dialogue, or even lore without setup.

If you knew what a Mary Sue was, you know that the hypothetical character was the exact opposite. Mary Sue's are results of random attributes being added to a flat unattractive character without reason. I expressly stated why I went with every team member, and how brainstorming in this fashion could lead to dynamic characters with a purpose.

I don't know how you got the idea that this was a character for my game, because if you followed the thread, you'd know I didn't have a normal type gym.

And lastly, removing my identity to keep you interested wouldn't be a service to you.
If a feature I implement offends you so much, then I invite you to stop following for your own good.
Hey, maybe you could start your own project.
>>
File: 1465406199725.png (204KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1465406199725.png
204KB, 640x480px
>>27354261
>people fell for bait this shitty
>>
So who wants another Reborn playthrough?

I'm very pissed that the cunts in charge removed a lot of decent pokemon in favour of a 'mystery egg' that gives you one of 18 good Pokemon previous available normally because they want to implement trading, which would ruin the only thing I respected about the game, the challenge from making the most out of whatever was available.

Since both archives died both my Rejuvenation and Reborn playthroughs are gone, so I was thinking of starting a new one.
>>
>>27316798
Why isn't this game featuring Dante, from the Devil May Cry series?
>>
>>27355840
I'm always down.
>>
>>27327428
Doors
>>
File: need tilesets.png (2KB, 166x67px) Image search: [Google]
need tilesets.png
2KB, 166x67px
>>27311131
hello, im making sprites for a fr/lg hack and i need medieval overworld sprites, anyone have any idea i anything like that exists?
>>
>>27356346
These are actually good fakemon. Tell me more about game. Will send tiles in a but, not at home right now.
>>
File: Route 9 Feedback Draft.jpg (619KB, 1152x960px) Image search: [Google]
Route 9 Feedback Draft.jpg
619KB, 1152x960px
On Route 9. Started with a desire to create a drained lake turned into a desertish series of canyons but it grew into something else entirely.
Red=items
Blue=a rare wild pokemon. Thinking Lapras (removed from being handed out in Silph), maybe something else.
Brown=HM obstacle
Haven't mapped trainers yet, as this is a rough cut but you begin to see where they can be.
Note that once entered, you cannot double back; you can only move forward until you clear through to the end.
Requesting feedback, thoughts, etc.
>>
SHit, i just want PSS split with icons, absolute nothing else. I can't find a patch for that.
>>
Is it possible to make rom hacks on an Android phone, or do Androids only play them?
>>
>>27356508
Looks a bit too square-ish with the cliffs at times. Make them more jagged, but don't give up on the concept. I can see something brilliant coming out of this.
>>
>>27316798
there needs to be a male inkling
>>
>>27355843
Because no one made the sprite for him yet. You're welcome to try anon.
>>
>>27356346
can't say I've ever seen tilesets like that in a pokemon hack, but you could probably adapt some rpg maker tilesets considering how many of them fall into that theme
either that or mix and match building tilesets until you have something more medieval looking

also, nice sprites
>>
So.... where do I get started? Should I plan some stuff out or just jump right into it? Anything I should have before using Essentials?
>>
>>27357047
Jump right into essentials for a bit and play around with it. Look at what all you can feasibly do in it. Then go back to making the game on paper a bit and then make the final thing in essentials.
>>
>>27357047
figure out what exactly you wanna do first, a bit of planning will save you a lot of headaches later

if you want to do anything crazy and unique do some research or ask some questions and see if someone's done it before instead of reinventing the wheel, essentials is flexible enough for anything standard though
>>
>>27336515
Excuse me for the paragraphs.

(1/2)

I like to think nobody really knows what makes for a good story. All we can do is try to get our core ideas across as effectively as possible. Let me explain.

A story is something that tries to get some kind of truth across by asking a question, and then answering it. It can be a moral or set of morals, or a theme it explores in different ways. Those messages or themes are the core idea of a story, it's what gives stories a purpose for existing. Now, I believe characters, character development, plot, and setting, are all in service to those core ideas. And to further break it down, conflict and its resolution (or non-resolution, but I won't digress) are what makes up a plot. To make a good story, all those things need to be in tune with the core ideas, but must also be told in ways that "tickle the brain." It can be new, exciting, unexpected, clever, all kinds of things can make it good. It can be one of those things or all of those things, but neither one guarantees it'll be good.

My advice here is to just tell the story you want to tell, but try to tell it in a way you think will be effective. There are pitfalls though. A moral that the audience is beaten over the head with will not be effective. To be effective, the moral needs to be told in a way that really makes the audience reconsider their previous outlook. Good stories are about shedding light on some truth we may not have known about or have not been thinking about. I think stories are boring to us when we can already guess the conclusion, because the "truth" of the work is already apparent from the get-go. Besides that, generally I'd say keep track of your conflicts and make sure your arcs (character or otherwise) end up having some kind of resolution to them. Plot holes happen when significant questions go unexplained.
>>
>>27336515
>>27357398

(2/2)

All that said, in regards to specifically making a good POKEMON story, which was the original question, I'd say there are two possibilities.

The first is simply to retell a story people like from the pokemon games or from other pokemon works like the anime or manga, etc. Doing this will guarantee that you are telling a good pokemon story, because it's already been done. The issue of course, is that it's already been done. It will be boring to the people who recognize it because they will be aware of the conclusion before the story ends.

The 2nd possibility is to make something more original by adding your unique perspective to the pokemon world. That is, make something new, but make sure it's "still pokemon." The first possibility can work for example, if you tell it in a unique and interesting way or offer some kind of twist (not necessarily a plot twist.) Point being, find something you can add to the pokemon "mythos" and as long as it comes from you, it should be unique and thus, good.
>>
>>27311131
are non-essentials fangames allowed here?
I've been messing with this for a little while, I think it might be fun to put some actual effort into in my free-time coming up
>>
File: Mignon Town.png (72KB, 684x564px) Image search: [Google]
Mignon Town.png
72KB, 684x564px
r8 my starting town
>>
>>27358789
>grass on that cliff tile
shiggy
>>
>>27358789
what's in the grass?
looks neat but kind of empty for how big it is
also I'm assuming the left border is a treeline
>>
>>27358515
Absolutely
Looks neat anon.
If you do end up putting more content in it, will you be using custom sprites and animations? Is there anymore to the game so far?
>>
>>27358903
thanks
that's about all to it so far, movement, a Worms-style cursor, and turns, just started working on it today
sprites will probably be most of work and I'll need to make some custom for movement at least, but I'm gonna focus on functionality first
>>
>>27358789
Could use a little bit of downsizing unless the barren look is the point.
WHAT'S IN THE ISLAND YOU FUCK
>>
>>27359019
That's definitely the best way of going about it.

Here's some food for thought.
Perhaps you could go Angry Birds/Shuffle with it:
>Each Pokémon has its own skills or techniques when attacking
>Maybe even type effectiveness
>World system with different ecosystems
>defeating stages allows pokémon from that stage to join your party or list of availability
>Maybe the player can preplan their team before starting each stage with maybe some boss stages with restrictions or premade teams
>>
Not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but are Randomizer runs worth it when it comes to gen 4/5? Or do they have a tendency to fall apart?

Along with that, is it worth it to randomize literally everything in the UPR, or are some things better left vanilla?
>>
>>27359119
My run of HeartGold was awesome.
Definitely doable.
A nice touch the randomiser did was not only re-pallete the battle sprites, but also the overworld sprites.

The one randomiser of Black 2 I did was really great, too.
>tfw Speed Boost Shellos carries your team
>>
>>27359203
Did you randomize type and base stats as well? Those are the two I'm most concerned about, random/set encounters and starters doesn't seem too hard to fuck up with.
>>
>>27359111
I guess that gif's not really clear, especially the way I set the positions up, but I'm going for a Scorched Earth/Worms type game
>>
>>27359226
Yeah, I randomize everything.
Should be fine unless your Smeargle still only learns normal moves and the Ghost Shadow tag wild Shroomish uses perish song.
God rest his soul.
>>
>>27358789
No paths? Paths improve every town. Mostly by making it so players stop forgetting where everything is.

That one tile of grass is intriguing. I'll just go ahead and assume nothing spawns there, as the ultimate troll.
>>
>>27358789
Sandgem Town+Route 219 vibes, I love it
>>
File: 1469428830603.png (14KB, 581x268px) Image search: [Google]
1469428830603.png
14KB, 581x268px
>>27316798
Add these to the list.
>>
File: 1458938387998.png (48KB, 384x1428px) Image search: [Google]
1458938387998.png
48KB, 384x1428px
>>27359461
Don't forget the backsprites. Still waiting for someone else to make a grid with these as well. Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of them.

The full list, in case anyone wants to know.
http://pastebin.com/JRXwwenK
>>
>>27359203
>>27359358
Thanks, let's see how this goes.

Also, is palette randomization not a part of the UPR? I don't see it listed as an option under any category.
>>
>>27359775
It might not be.
I did this a while ago
Try using this along with UPR and see if that works:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=345129
>>
How can I randomize HG on Android? I all ready have the game and the emulator, I just need the randomizer.
>>
>>27359775
You would need to download the UPR .jar package, but there's no working .jar emulator at the time being.
So, no.
>>
>>27360025
Was meant for
>>27359993
>>
>>27360025
Ah that sucks. Thank you, though.
>>
>>27311131
reading the thread, I see that some of the links are dead

I have no experience in romhacking and I want to dabble in it, will these dead links be detrimental to my ability to create a working pokemon romhack?
>>
I want a decently hard game with a good jumble of pokemon to choose from without pointless difficulty or grinding. What should I play?
>>
>>27359203
>A nice touch the randomiser did was not only re-pallete the battle sprites, but also the overworld sprites.
Which randomiser was this? Sounds like exactly what I want in my life.

I was just trying out the NDS Palette Randomiser (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=345129) and can't get the exe to open, so I'm really hoping you won't say it's that one.
>>
>>27362930
Didn't see your next post. Shit.

Still, I have to have this in my life. I'll see if I can get it working on another computer.
>>
File: tiletest.png (94KB, 1059x601px) Image search: [Google]
tiletest.png
94KB, 1059x601px
Testing out tiles. Some still need to be recolored and such a bit to be cohesive.
>>
>>27363080
Those are great. Did you make some yourself? I recognise some of Kyle Dove's tiles in there.

>>27359203
Don't suppose you've got any screenshots of your HGSS randomised run? I'd love to see the overworld swap in action.
>>
>>27363080
Yeah, a bit of mine and kyledove plus a few others.
>>
>>27363223
I don't think so. It was over a year ago.
I don't think the palette randomiser I linked to does it either, because it never edits the file where the sprites are located...
Sorry.
Everything else should work though.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160725-225121.png (534KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160725-225121.png
534KB, 1080x1920px
>>27363223
>>27363728
Best.
Moveset.
Ever.
>>
>>27356490
its a hack set in medieval, im only the spriter but as i dont have to much time i need some inspiration for tiles, everything needs to be from scratch due to the issue of not having any medieval tiles in the actual games =P
also since its 3rd gen hack it needs to be in 3rd gen style
>>27356880
where can i find these rpg maker tiles? also thanks
>>
>>27364480
>=P
>>
>>27364550
But games DO equal P, you uneducated degenerate.
>>
>>27358853
>>27359067
>>27359386

It's special, but you gotta get surf to know ;)

>>27359406
Thank you! I'm aiming to make the game pretty mountainous overall.
>>
>>27364480
Google RPG Maker tilesets. Toss them in gimp, and resize to 50%. Then to 200%. With some editing you got gen 3 medieval tiles.
>>
>>27365753
>some editing
>>
File: seal.png (16KB, 95x71px) Image search: [Google]
seal.png
16KB, 95x71px
>>27361798
Guys?
>>
Would it be possible to sell a game that basically has all the same concepts as pokemon, but uses different tilesets and characters/creatures?
Or do they have a copyright on their gameplay style and mechanics?
>>
>>27367443
So long as you change things like types, maximum moves, IVs, EVs, etc. you should be fine. I've thought about doing it, but I think I want to make something more similar to the Chao Garden from sonic (plus battling) if I ever decide to make it.
>>
>>27367581
That sounds cool. You should do it. I loved the chao garden on Sonic adventure 2 (played it more than the main game story).
I've thought about making a copy of pokemon for a long time, I'd have a lot of learning to do though.
>>
>>27367443
that touhou pokemon game sells for real money and doesn't seem to have had any issues
granted, it has graphical distinctions, but the gameplay is basically the same, down to having basically analogous items, abilities, and attacks but with different names
>>
File: 1466837122808.png (681KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466837122808.png
681KB, 640x480px
For gen 5. Has anyone made a sprite replacement for your romance options yet? I want to romance Yancy as Mei. I also wouldn't mind playing as Hugh throughout my game.

is this possible?
>>
>>27367659
What are you planning to make it with?
I've thought about using love 2D.
>>
>>27367949
I'm not really familiar with anything... I only have Unity. I'm pretty much at the very beginning of things. I've never been very good with computers, but I really ought to learn to code.
Just conceptualizing at this point.
>>
>>27367975
If you need help with coding, I can probably help with that.
>>
>>27368056
I wouldn't really want to drag anyone else into my completely unplanned dreams as of now. I really don't have enough substance to even begin scraping things together.
How did you learn how to code?
>>
>>27367975
Unity has a great series of official tutorials, you should definitely watch them if it's what you want to use

learning fundamentals, like variables, conditionals, loops, etc is a good place to start though, because those are important in every engine, there are a lot of basic resources in easy languages like c and java on those if Unity isn't clicking for you

if you wanna use essentials, rpg maker is pretty beginner friendly too
>>
>>27368093
Honestly, the computer craft mod for Minecraft is the best way to motivate yourself to learn. Other than that, you could try codecademy.
>>
>>27363080
You should really had shadows to some of those tiles, it really helps it blend with the rest of the map.
>>
Top is original and bottom is new. Mostly finished drafting it, took about ~6 hours over several days.
Red lines show trainer movement/view distance. Green circle is an extra trainer; yellow circles indicate hidden items and the red circle is another item ball placeholder. Blue circle is the movement radius for a unique encounter.
Tried to give good options between forced grass and forced trainers with plenty to do and see on the map.
There will likely be further minor revisions down the line but this is as close to a final product as I have for now.
>>
>>27368976
Are you just giving the original better maps and a different story, or is this somehow tied to the timeline of the original games? Because I don't understand how some of these formations could have occurred in less than a thousand years.
>>
>>27368976
I like how it's shaping up, man
>>
>>27368976
Very pretty, I love those little alcoves, they remind me of the sevii islands in a super cozy way.
>>
>>27368976
looks really nice, man.
I like how you sidestepped the naturally blockiness of square tiles by staggering them, like how you did in the bottom right corner.
>>
>>27358789
0/10

The starting town should always be a comfy forest. This just looks retarded and edgy.
>>
>>27371141
>Aspertia
>>
>>27368976
Damn nigger
i envy your rpg maker skills tbqh
>>
>>27371320
This.
Any setting can be a cozy setting for a starting location.
Forget cozy, why not start in a small apartment complex in a bustling city or something?
If well executed, shaking up the formula will really make you game unique.

I think >>27358789 needs work, but it really has potential.
>>
File: WHICH WIRE.png (123KB, 772x730px) Image search: [Google]
WHICH WIRE.png
123KB, 772x730px
Man, which one do I choose? I feel like it's gonna fuck me over later if I choose the wrong one. It's a clean rom, btw.
>>
>>27371696
>only 2 gender options
Don't show this to the Sage general
>>
>>27371320
And what a coincidence that BW2 was the worst game in the series.
>>
>>27372007
Anon, if you want to bait, at least try to make it believable by saying BW1.
>>
>>27372032
Gen 5 was the worst gen. This is common knowledge.

>hurf durf anyone who disagrees with me is trying to bait

Choke on a dick and fuck off.
>>
File: surely you jestin.jpg (65KB, 640x592px) Image search: [Google]
surely you jestin.jpg
65KB, 640x592px
>>27372051
>Not gen 6

Surely you jestin'. Gen 6 was atrocious.
>>
>>27372067
I'm not saying Gen 6 was good, but at least they didn't put you in a grimdark metropolitan setting.
>>
>>27372067
Gen 6 at least was nice to look at and had some good designs.
Gen 5 had nothing going for it but an overrated and boring story.
>>
>>27372051
>http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/pokemon-black-version
87 meta score, 8.0 userscore, three points shy of Universal Acclaim status
>https://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/pokemon-black-versionwhite-version
kids(the target audience; probably not you) and parents both rated it 5/5
>http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-black-white-review/3/
They directly say they think it's better than Red/Blue, Diamond/Pearl, and HeartGold/SoulSilver
>http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/pokemon-black-version-2-review
9.6/10 one of the highest ratings ever for a pokemon game

>http://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon-blackwhite/3030-30613/forums/famitsu-gives-pokemon-blackwhite-a-perfect-score-444753/
kek

Good Job,
Got me hook line and sinker.
>>
>>27372170
>tripfag acts like expectations
>>
File: TWIN WATERFALLS.jpg (39KB, 526x400px) Image search: [Google]
TWIN WATERFALLS.jpg
39KB, 526x400px
Why is romhacking so sensitive? It feels like if you do anything, it'll fuck up a thousand other things in the future irreparably. This is the most difficult, tedious thing I've ever done. I'm at wit's end.
>>
>>27372514
What do you expect when you're coding in a language that's over 10 years obsolete?
>>
>>27372502
I don't follow what you're saying, but the best way to get a clear understand of a game's overall quality is through critic and player reviews.

>>27372514
It's best to plan procedures out before applying them, but also what >>27372556 said.
>>
File: decisions.png (859KB, 552x557px) Image search: [Google]
decisions.png
859KB, 552x557px
>>27372591
>>27372556
Maybe I'll just switch to essentials. As much as it pains me, ROMhacking may just be too hard. Plus, people just don't seem to interested in playing romhacks anymore. It's kind of sad, really.
>>
>>27372591
hahahaha, please, not that I care, but if you're under the age of 13 you really souldn't be posting here. Now be honest with me. How old are you?
>>
>>27372631
The problem with fan games is that there really is no solid engine to work with.
Every platform has its own gaping flaw.
Which game were you modifying?

>>27372640
I turn 4 next month.
>>
>>27372677
14 right?
>>
>>27372677
Fire red. Mapping, YAPE and basic XSE scripting is fine, but the rest of it is just so foreign and un-intuitive. graphical stuff is the hardest.
>>
>>27369039
Better maps, different story; a different take on the Pokemon story. The war will be directly referenced, a definitive origin of the Elite Four has been written; there's actually this whole anthropological backstory to Kanto and Johto I'm working with dealing with the effect of Kyogre and Groudon on the ancient world and how it affected human migration from Hoenn (which is where the Indigo Tribe and its clans came from) to Kanto and stuff. I'm inspired by the whole Sea Peoples thing in the ancient eastern Mediterranean.
>>27369215
Thanks!
>>27369281
The Sevii are an inspiration, even though I'm completely cutting them because I find them unnecessary; I do plan on reusing certain maps though. They're so vibrant and Hoenn-like compared to FRLG's repaint of Gen 1's limitations.
>>27371088
Thanks! And thanks for keeping /heg/ alive!
>>27371379
Not that I have anything against Essentials/RPG Maker, but I'm hacking Fire Red. It's not hard to learn mapping, it just takes hours and hours and hours and hours and fucking hours and more hours and about 2 years of dedicated practice. I have 400 deleted maps that look like dog shit for one almost-there map like this.
>>
>>27372514
It's because you're editing something that wasn't meant to be edited, an already compiled ROM. People tend to take for granted how impressive the hacking tools people have created are, being able to (relatively) freely edit large chunks of a game's code after it's already been compiled.

Nevertheless, that's why so much effort has been and is being put into disassembling Pokémon games, so you can freely edit the game without worry about fucking up a thousand things accidentally (and if you do fuck something up you can much more easily pinpoint what went wrong due to it being labelled and using git to track what changes you do in what order).
>>
>>27372756
>The Sevii are an inspiration, even though I'm completely cutting them because I find them unnecessary; I do plan on reusing certain maps though. They're so vibrant and Hoenn-like compared to FRLG's repaint of Gen 1's limitations.

Exactly! That's so eloquently put, I like the way you think. Hoenn had so much to do and explore, it was fantastic and I see that in your mapping. Great work!
>>
File: darntrees.png (24KB, 243x609px) Image search: [Google]
darntrees.png
24KB, 243x609px
Any tips on making tiles fit together better? I want a nice variety of color but a sense of unity.
>>
Are there any tutorials for map connections? I'm so sick of advancedmap tutorials just telling me what I already know.

Also, how does one determine their starting position in game?
>>
File: Devil's_Rejects.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Devil's_Rejects.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>>27372701
>>
>>27372877
new god of war looks weird
>>
>>27316798
Mother 1 Giygas -> Earthbound Giygas

NES Link -> Fierce Diety Link
Sans and Papyrus should have a common pre evo and be a split.

Curly should be a female/counterpart to Quote.

Lololo and Lalala should just be gender differences.

Blooper/Squid pre evo for Inkling. Male form for Inkling too.

SNES Ridley and Ninja Gaiden look too high quality compared to the rest.

10/10 work so far
>>
>>27316798
Split evo from 1982 Donkey Kong to DKC Donkey Kong
>>
>>27316798
Tamagotchi evolving into Agumon is really clever.
>>
>>27316798
What types are there?
>>
>>27372823
Try and center those palm trees better. Make them 3-tiles wide if you can. That tree on the bottom left looks crentered wrong too.
Stack wide trees horizontally and use narrower trees/plants/mushrooms to fill any gaps.
If you have Photoshop, turn on the grid and set it to 32x32px to get an idea of how they'll appear in the tileset.

>I want a nice variety of color but a sense of unity.
Then add more colors, you doof. Don't be afraid to use unnatural colors either.
>>
File: fuck.png (25KB, 551x222px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
25KB, 551x222px
Fuck man all I want to do is edit the world map

What does this even mean why are there so many errors
>>
>>27372887
kek

>>27372823
Try to make the outlines have similar saturation. the hues are right, but the saturation and darkness are a bit much for at least the top most tree.
>>
>>27316798
Give Yoshi a Baby pre evo and have it evolve into Winged Yoshi
>>
>>27316798
Why Slowpoke?
>>
File: ugh.png (49KB, 607x454px) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
49KB, 607x454px
What gives? It's right there you stupid computer
>>
>>27373386
I'm not good at this kind of thing, but maybe it expects the file in a different directory.
>>
>>27373425
The page I got it did say system32/system64, but there's no way in hell I'm putting this shady-ass file there
>>
>>27316798

Blanka should evolve from Charlie.
>>
>>27372823
The light green tile with all the vines coming from it doesn't really fit with the rest of your tileset. The pallete/style look like something out of FRLG and clash with your regular trees.
>>
>>27373521
If you're too paranoid to drop a file in your system 32 folder, then you should just edit in Pokemon Essentials.
>>
>>27374283
I never had to do this.
What gives?
>>
>>27374358
Anon's ROMhacking and he thinks putting a certain file in its proper place will fuck up his computer.

If he's that distrusting then he should just use Essentials instead.
>>
>>27374417
>>27374358
Nevermind I must have, because that's the right procedure.
>>27373386
You gotta m8.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196138
>>
>>27374417
/heg/ is too overrun with Essentialsfags at this point.

We need to split into two different generals again, I don't care if both of them are dead, ROMhackfags cannot survive in this environment with people like you constantly trying to turn them to Essentials. Better to die than be killed.

I'm sure you people are just as annoyed at us trying to turn people away from Essentials to hacking.
>>
>>27374485
How does essentials inhibit you from making good rom hacks, and how does "converting" people into rom hackers suddenly make their content better if they were going to make a bad game with Essentials?

>>27374575
Dafuq?
Did you register it with Command prompt?
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=196138
>>
>>27374485
We've made ROMhack generals. They never last longer than a couple posts. Essentials generals would be no different.

If being told to use a different tool for game development offends you that deeply, then you need to take a long, soul-searching walk off of a short pier.

>>27374645
This guy probably doesn't use either and he's just stirring up shit for the lulz.
>>
>>27374671
Wot.
I screencap my work in Essentials in every thread. including this one.
>>
>>27374671
>They never last longer than a couple posts.

They were fine years ago, and they made up the bulk of discussion in early /heg/ threads. Meanwhile, Essentials has gained a huge amount of traction, enough so that they could last more than a couple posts.

Even /heg/ has dead sections where threads don't last a couple posts.

>>27374645
When an anon is having trouble with something in a hack and he gets multiple "just use Essentials" posts, it dissuades people from using ROMhacking as a base. People who are already adamant in hacking aren't going to change their mind from something so simple, but someone just starting out might.
>>
>>27374710
If they're motivated and you also reply with helpful hacking information, he or she is not going to completely tear everything down and start fresh.
If they're just starting out, wouldn't it be better to learn how to program through a user friendly program or would you rather them get bogged down in hours of hex editing, following someone's vague instructions?
>>
>>27374699
I'm referring to the anon who wants to split the boards up.

>>27374710
>They were fine years ago
>YEARS ago
That was then and this is now anon. Unless you want an annoying general full of idiots asking very basic questions, you're better off in /heg/.
>>
>>27374813
/rhg/ has a dead period two years ago, then it revived, then it had another dead period, then we decided to merge with Essentials into /heg/, then we revived. We've also had dead periods since /heg/ formed, where threads only stayed up at all because they got bumped ten times in a row before any discussion came around. I don't see what your point is, things haven't really changed.

>>27374805
Anon hasn't even gotten to hex editing, he's only used tools so far. If he gets swamped by hex editing that's one thing, but nothing he's done has been any harder than using Essentials.
>>
>>27374866
What will I have to use hex editing for?
>>
>>27374977
If you want to add new features you're going to have to delve into hex editing. I'm not too familiar with Gen 3 hacking though, I've only messed with Gen 1 and 2.
>>
>>27374866
If he hasn't gotten far in, there's no reason to be against him switching.
>>27374977
Editing pokemon data and such, but there are probably tools for that.
>>
>>27374998
Well, that's fine then. XSE is all I really need, no need for new features.

How hard IS hex editing, though?
>>
>>27375023
It's tedious, you have to make sure you know exactly what is where, and it might take trial and error, in which case you'll have to make tons of backups.
>>
>>27375035
Sounds even more dangerous than it already is. I'll just stick to fucking around old features and stretching XSE to whatever paltry limits it has.
>>
>>27311131
As a macfag, what steps do I have to go through for this?
>>
>>27375068(me)
For romhacking in FR, the easiest game
>>
>>27375068
There are things that can run .exes on macs, right? Use one of those. If not, get a cheap windows laptop.
>>
>>27375068
Hacking and Essentials both require WINE if you want to do things on a Mac. Essentials has no Mac port, and while there are emulators on Mac, most ROMhacking tools are Windows-only.
>>
>>27375085
Hmm I've been meaning to do that sometime. I'm guess no matter what you do to a chromebook it won't work
>>
>>27375135
I'd imagine not. Just get a windows one, refurbished they're only like 100 bucks.
>>
>>27375154
Really? Thanks

Let's say I wanted to just test shit out, could I make a demo of like a town with stuff and get you guys to review it?
>>
>>27375180
Yes! We love demos, we'd be plenty happy to review it.
>>
>>27375215
I'm thinking of adding cross evos. But that's all, is that too hard?
>>
>>27375283
No way! All you need is YAPE. You can easily edit the evolutions of any Pokemon you'd like, along with base stats, moves, type, etc.! Anything you could think of. But yes, it's probably the easiest thing you could do while hacking.
>>
Is the guy who is working on the game where you evolve mid combat and a bunch of stuff still here?
>>
>>27375308
Will gen 4 Sprites port well?
>>
>>27375331
...Ooooh, interesting. You mean cross gen evos, huh? Well, I'm no expert on that, but a lot of people have done it before, so I'm assuming you can. I bet you have to resize them to 32x32 from 64x64 though.
>>
>>27375359
Thanks for all the help anon!

Im thinking of a BW2 Kanto with Sevii island, got any thoughts, has it been done?
>>
>>27375359
Thanks for all the help anon!

I've been thinking..... Would a Bw2 style Kanto be any good? With Sevii Islands?
>>
>>27375466
No, I don't think it has. You'd have to use essentials, though, BW hacking is in its infancy.
>>
>>27375520
I'd play it.

Drop in some gen 2 pokemon where applicable and make sure friendship evos are in and it'll be great. Then if the Sevii islands and Safari zones are expanded you can toss in damn near any pokemon you want.
>>
File: Sevii_Isle_8_FRLG.png (29KB, 1344x320px) Image search: [Google]
Sevii_Isle_8_FRLG.png
29KB, 1344x320px
>>27375583
>>27375520
Oooh! Make the Sevii islands that were never finished!
>>
>>27375331
People have already ported them.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728
>>
>>27316798
What the hell is the thing to the right of Dig Dug?
>>
>>27316798
Does Lalala... evolve into King Dedede?

What?
>>
Good Thread Everyone!
Thanks for hitting bump limit!
>>27376271
>>27376271
>>27376271
>>27376271
>>
File: 1adachi.png (30KB, 129x119px) Image search: [Google]
1adachi.png
30KB, 129x119px
Anyone know what to patch Hyetology to? When I patch it to trashman's emerald it says the ROM is wrong. Same happened with discovery, I wonder what rom these guys used?
>>
>>27373242
We needed to represent Pokémon, so we kept Slowpoke.
>>
>>27376343
I'd use his Gen 2 sprite
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.