[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying/Recieving your very first Pokemon game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

File: Sinnoh.jpg (53KB, 588x331px) Image search: [Google]
Sinnoh.jpg
53KB, 588x331px
Let's hear what everyone's first game was and how they got them

I pre ordered Pokemon pearl back in 07 after seeing a commercial on tv for it.

I had originally planned to get Diamond but the guy in Toys R us told me that Pearl was the better one.
>>
>>27310733
Firer ed back in 2004. Never knew at the time pokemon had any games, just got a Gameboy recently from my parents and during one trip to Gamestop, it was close to this soup and salad place we always went to. I looked over at the used cartridges and saw a used copy of Fire red, parents bought it, emptied out the original save and the rest is history.
>>
My great aunt always spoiled me. So one time when I went to visit her she had a gift for me. It was a teal gameboy color along with Pokemon Blue! I was probably 6-8 years old. I honestly don't remember. But it was my first videogame!
I'm 24 btw.
>>
I still remember it quite well. This was during the launch week of blue/red and it was sold out everywhere, I dragged my sister all over the city to find a place that had stock and we ended up in a really out of the way mall that had a small electronics store and it had a bunch of copies of both red/blue, so she bought me blue and got red for herself.

I remember getting a pokemon christmas vhs as a preorder bonus when I preordered silver
>>
>>27310733
Blue back when it launched. I live in a country where almost no one had a game boy, so I got it from the father of a friend of a friend who lived in the city where my grandmother lived in a floppy disk with an emulator. I also did not know how to read English and neither did any of my friends, but that floppy disk got around to at least half of the school.
>>
>>27310733
i got blue and a gameboy as a present when i was like 4-5ish
>>
>>27310733
First of all, he lied to you.

Got Gold and Silver on my GameBoy by my grandmother, she packed them in my launchbox for my birthday.
>>
I got a blue Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Red for Christmas the year it came out; my older brother got a green Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Blue.
>>
>>27310733
Sapphire. I didnt know what the hell I was doing back then, but muh nostalgia makes it my fav.
>>
It was 2000 christmas. My parents gave me a kiwi Gameboy Color (the only color i didn't want) and Pokémon Blue.

My cousin took it from my hand to "teach me how to play". He played it until fucking Lt. Surge.
>>
i saw a copy of sapphire in a store and bought it because i never had a pokemon game before
>>
I inherited Pokemon Crystal from my brother. I didn't know what I was doing, but I do remember evolving a Typhlosion during a long car trip.
>>
>>27310733

Pokemon Red with the family OG Gameboy. I got it around the time it came out and blue shortly after so my sister and I could each have a game.
>>
>>27310842

My school had the same thing with a japanese rom of gold/silver behind handed around before it was released in the west
>>
>>27310733
I picked up white in 2011 because I've been watching the anime since I was a kid so I decided to try the games. Now, I rarely watch the anime and always play the games. I pretty much played every Pokemon game except the original rby( I played fire red though) I got addicted and bought every new game on launch day ever since. It changed my life for the better because i had no hobbies before Pokemon.
>>
>>27310733
I got diamond from my sister's friend when I was 15. It also just came out at the time and I was blown away. There will probably never be another newcomer generation again because once I started playing diamond I got pokemon rumble blast on my wii then platinum and battle revolution. Goddamn just take me back.
>>
Never had a gameboy or gameboy color since my parents would have had to buy two games and two systems for my sister and me but we did have a N64 and the Pokemon Stadium games held us over until my parents got promotions and we got GBAs and Pokemon R/S
>>
I got Plantinum after seeing commercials. I kinda wish I had started earlier, maybe Emerald for muh transfers
>>
File: black-white.jpg (44KB, 469x210px) Image search: [Google]
black-white.jpg
44KB, 469x210px
I used to think Pokémon was for nerds and I didnt know anything about them, except the yellow rat was Pikachu. But since one of my friends bought the game, I dicided to give it a shot. Now B&W is the best Pokémon game that ever existed.
>>
>>27310733
I'm about to buy Pokémon Sun, every other pokémon game I played was on emulators because I got into it very late
>>
>>27310733
Silver back in 2001. I was just recently introduced to video games, so when I saw a Pokemon game I was ecstatic and asked my parents to get me it. I picked Silver because I thought it was the better game even though I had no prior knowledge of it.
>>
Green. Was already grown, in the Marines stationed in Okinawa when it came out. Got into a cab and found someone's Gameboy on the floor. Had enough fun even though I couldn't read the language.
>>
>>27310733
>Christmas 2000
>Opening presents
>had watched cartoon and played TCG
>never even wanted or asked for the video game
>midway through opening presents, I start to unwrap one, and the adults stop me
>start to open another instead
>socks
>next one
>it's a lime green Gameboy Color
>next one
>it's Pokemon Gold Version
>go back to the one they stopped me from unwrapping
>it's a golden Gameboy Color carrying case with a Ho-oh on the front
>play it for the rest of my visit to Grandma's
>pick Cyndaquil
>don't know how to save
>constantly starting games and then erasing them when I turn my GB off
>my cousin shows me how to save
>finally start to progress
>leave Grandma's house
>can't ever make it past violet city
>didn't know I had to beat the gym, or don't try to leave again after beating the gym
>keep starting new save files lol
>FINALLY make it out of violet city in a car ride to school one day
>mom is telling me to get out of the car and I'm like "Wait, I have to save! I just made it to a new part!"
>more progress
>my brother got silver version so we're playing alongside each other now and trading and sharing tips
>he tells me we can go to Kanto and I don't believe him
>tells me Lance is the champion
>progress through whole game beating the E4 and all the gym leaders and level my Typhlosion up to 100
>brother tells me about the guy in Mt. Silver
>go there
>kick his ass
>start new save file and pick Totodile
>>
Ruby and Sapphire were already out but I had no fucking clue about pokémon whatsoever, and I found a Red cartridge in a garage sale or something. It looked cool and had a dragon thing on it, so I asked my parents to have it
>>
>>27310733
Mine was a multi-pack of Pokemon Yellow, Red, Blue, Pinball, and a bunch of other games.

In short, My parents got me a pirated cartridge.
>>
Got Pokémon Blue on my 6th birthday.
We had gotten a gameboy color when we were on holiday a couple of months before.

I made it clear to my parents that a pokemon game was the best thing in the world, after i saw my friends older sister play in the pokemon tower fighting a ghastly with her blastoise while i was over their house.

I didn't speak any english so most things were learned by trial and error.
>>
File: villainsunited_001_deadshot.jpg (30KB, 335x255px) Image search: [Google]
villainsunited_001_deadshot.jpg
30KB, 335x255px
As a kid when red n blue dropped, got Red from my mom for my birthday.

Then a few days later, red and blue from estranged rich uncle.

>mfw I got to use 3 different starters in all games at once
>>
I have never owned a Pokemon game of my own but I am ready to try.

I am thinking about Fire Red, Emerald, Soul Silver, Black 2 and ORAS.

Is that any good or should I get the original Red on digital?
>>
>>27311718
To add to this.
My friend brought her sisters gameboy to school some time after my birthday.
She had started a new game on the same cartridge, but didn't know how to save.
I showed her, which overwrote her sisters save.

She never got to play on that gameboy again.
>>
my first game was yellow when i was 5 for christmas. Still couldnt read too well yet so it was hard to play
>>
>>27310733
I was about 3, I kept seeing those commercials on TV with all the Pokemon on the bus and I thought it was cool as shit. My cousins down South had an N64 & NES but my parents were too poor to dish out the cash. But I got Yellow in '99 along with the GBC and a Winnie the Pooh game for Christmas. It was honestly one of the best Christmases, and the Yellow cartridge still runs properly
>>
I bought Pokemon Sapphire secondhand back in '06.
Was like 9 back then, couldn't afford anything better.
I had known Pokemon previously from my cousins showing us Pokemon firered and leadgreen on an emulator.
Had troubles beating it though, as I couldn't speak German back then.
Also, fuck my goddamn asshole brother for deleting my save.
>>
Preordered Red version from electronics boutique. Stayed home from school on release day just to play it non stop.
>>
>>27310733
Got a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Red as a 8 year old in a hospital bed recovering from appendectomy. Started playing immediately, and vomited in Pallet Town due to the morphine. 10/10 would reexperience
>>
Friend of my grandmother that had terrible health gave me Pokemon Yellow and a Pikachu gameboy color when I was 3 or 4.
>>
>>27310733
After seeing a few friends play the games and cards, I begged my dad to take me to Walmart. Wanted Red, they were out, got Blue. Started with Bulbasaur. Worked out since more friends had Red anyway.
>>
File: Being a trainer sure is tough.png (685KB, 883x477px) Image search: [Google]
Being a trainer sure is tough.png
685KB, 883x477px
>>27310733
I got a nintendo64 packaged with Pokemon Stadium and a gameboy + pokemon red

My life fucking rocks and I've cruised through it so far
>>
I got Pokemon Red when i was 5, it was my first vg and I still remember my mother helped my a bit because i couldn't read well and got stuck sometimes
>>
Blue.
>beeing 5-6 years old
>recently learned how to ride a bike with only two wheels
>want to drive to a playground
>riding Downhill
>fall
>fingers are broken
>brain concussion
>spend 1-2 weeks in a special children hospital
>cast on left hand
>Asking parents while I got out
' now i am feeling well, can I get please a Gameboy with Pokemon??'

>sure anon

Beat, blue on a gbc with only my right hand.
>>
Red version, week of launch. Was 7 at the time. Parents bought it for me. Remember being the first kid in my school to find missingno. and subsequently showed a bunch of people, insisting it had to be captured for the glitch to work... Don't know how many peoples games I must have fucked with.
>>
>>27310733
I can't remember if I got Crystal first or if I got a Yellow version from a sale in school first...

I wanna say it was Crystal first since I seem to remember playing that back in my original hometown or at least on road trip to my new house.

Played the shit out of those games but then took a break until gen 4 and haven't stopped buying at least one game every generation since. Kinda slowly losing the friends I've made from pokemon though, mainly because of a breakup.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 246x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 246x200px
>>27311859
>that original image
>>
Pokemon Red as soon as I got into the cards and the show on UPN.
>>
>>27310733
I don't really remember much about it, I was 7 and it was Pokemon Red. I found it a couple of years back and had everything but Mew. I remember more about Yellow than I do Red.
>>
My first "pokemon game" was Puzzle League on the N64, followed by Hey You Pikachu.

I didn't get into mainline Pokemon because I didn't have a Gameboy. My first Pokemon RPG was Ruby for the GBA. I'm pretty sure my mom bought it for me at walmart.
>>
I watched a couple of episodes of the anime back as a kid, just got a gameboy advance sp recently even though I never really asked for it, and decided to buy Emerald because the boxart looked sick. Picked Mudkip, powerleveled that fucker, and the rest is history.

I had no idea how to play as a 10 year old idiot, and my Mudkip didn't learn Mudshot after evolving for some reason, so I got stuck on Wattson until my Marshtomp evolved to Swampert.
>>
File: 1468975356998.jpg (76KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1468975356998.jpg
76KB, 1000x1000px
>had a GBC but never got Pokemon Red/Blue because parents or grandparents didn't get it for me
>got Silver the day it came out

Great thing was, had it for a few weeks prior to anyone else.
>>
>>27311745
Either go basic as fuck with RBY on VC or go latest possible entries with XY/ORAS. Preferably the former, since ORAS is mostly a remake for the nostalgia of R/S/E, which you didn't experience.
>>
My sister's gave me his gameboy and a copy of gold. I played the fuck out of it then got blue after seeing it in a second hand shop
>>
>>27311745
Leaf Green is a good choice, as good as RBY were back then, they're honestly dated now.
>>
>>27312464
Oh shit, actually I just remembered.

Before even that, I played some japanese version of pokemon gold a few months before. I couldn't understand shit and the game always crashed when encountering the three legendary beasts.

Shit was weird. The game seemed to break on some level as you kept going, for example Erika had like a lvl 108 Octillery or some shit that wrecked my shit. Combined with no being able to read Japanese, it took me a LONG time to go through Kanto after beating Johto.
>>
>>27310733
I got blue for my sixth birthday, my sister got red some time before and together she got me all 3 starters with a link cable I got as well. Best birthday I've ever had.
>>
>>27311792
What about the Winnie the Pooh game?
>>
I was 14 when Red and Blue came out, but I didn't know about them until my best friend told me he was playing this great game called Pokemon and I had to try it. Saved up my allowance and got Red a little while later.

There was some comic book/collectors kind of store at a huge mall in the nearest big city and when Gold/Silver came out, they had the Japanese copies for like 80$ each. I remember asking if they could be played on an American GameBoy and getting so excited when the guy said yes. saved up again and went through Silver for the first time in Japanese.
>>
The year is 2002, a few months after 9/11. My cousin just joined the marines, and so he gave me his game boy and his copies of Red, Blue and Crystal. Took me forever to get past Falkner, because I chose chikorita. Rose was a meganium before I beat him, and he swept through all of the other gyms solo.
>>
>>27313285
>meganium before falkner

Did you like catch no other pokemon? I know you were a kid but I'm pretty sure even as a kid you should get the concept of catching pokemon which would inadvertently get levels as your starter fainted and they beat pokemon.
>>
File: Winnie the Pooh GBC.jpg (59KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
Winnie the Pooh GBC.jpg
59KB, 499x500px
>>27312955
This game was the shit, and still runs like it did 17 years ago
>>
>>27311745
All of those are good choices, but you're missing platinum.
Though, good luck playing all of them. I don't think you'll get very far if you want to play one of each generation, as you'll get bored quickly.
DESU, Gen 1 as it stands right now is horribly dated. A lot of the mechanics work differently nowadays as well as different types which didn't exist back then, and you can't transfer Gen1 mons up to current gen unless you're playing on VC on the 3DS and buy pokemon bank.
I'd start with something a bit more fresh, take anything Gen 3 or 4 for a spin, and consider going back or forward later.
>>
>>27310733
>be me
>8 years old in 1999
>go to visit my family for Easter
>my cousin smashed his gameboy against the wall, Tetris pissed him off
>Aunt gives me all his games, including Pokemon blue
>>
>>27310733
It was like my 7th birthday and I got Pokémon Yellow and a Gameboy Color
I couldn't get past Lorelei :(
>>
>6th birthday
>wanted sapphire
>got sapphire
>????
>profit

Nothing significant really, just got it for my birthday
>>
>>27313555
underrated
>>
>family is poor as fuck
>love the anime and they buy me what they can (toys, books etc)
>for my 8th birthday my parents bought me a GBA advance with ruby and sapphire since our financial situation improved
>still have both cartridges today
>hear about leafgreen coming out
>no internet since poor and no shops seem to have it
>dad asks one of his work friends to order it for me
>dad dies of cancer a few years later
>still have the LG cartridge

most of the games afterwards I would buy by saving up little bits of money for up to a year or more
>>
I got Pokemon ruby red far back.
>>
My first game was crystal. I don't remember if it was 2001 or 2002 but it was Christmas and I had wanted a gamecube and Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, which meant my parents were already looking at video games for my sister and I. The year prior they got us the ps2, our first console, and now that it had proven to be something we'd use a lot and we could be responsible with it instead of getting bored of it or breaking it in a few weeks they were willing to get us other consoles. Since I had been a huge pokemon fan from the day the anime aired in the US and crystal was now out bundled with the gba they decided that I could have that too, which also meant they had to get a gba and a game for my sister because even if we don't always like the same games damn right we would have had a huge fight if one of us got a game that can't be shared and the other didn't, I think she got a Kim Possible game idk but it was fair enough. We were flying up to to New York to spend the holiday with family so we had to get up at like 5am and it was still dark out and to get us up our parents said we could open one of our gifts early. Naturally it was our gbas because they would also keep us quiet on the plane. I totally lost my shit because holy fuck a pokemon game I never thought I'd be allowed to get one because handheld games had the added risk of getting lost or stolen on top of all the other reasons my parents had been reluctant to get us video games that weren't on pc. As soon as I got it I buried my face in the screen and didn't put it down for like three days straight, totally ignored all else, instructions included so I didn't know how to go back and look at the other starters so I was immediately stuck with cyndaquill, but I didn't care and I loved it and to this day typhlosion is part of my team, I even hacked one identical in every possible way to my original into my sapphire cart so to this day it's like I still have my very first pokemon.
>>
I got red sometime soon after it launched...6 years old

I was so young and naive I think I spent a whole week trying to figure out how to leave your mom's house after you start the game there

It's pretty interesting looking back on it since I was like a first grader and all the kids would pass on rumours about the missingno cheat and such...the days before the internet

It feels kind of good to have experienced every game in its respective time period desu...feel bad for some of you young niggas who will never understand
>>
6 years old, had just gotten a GBC. My brother took it and played Pokemon Blue on it. My mom demanded he give it back to me, so I got it and Pokemon Blue.

I'm 18.
>>
>>27310733
I believe I was probably 7-9 when I got my first one. It was Pokémon Emerald. I got like $100 because our horse won a race and since I named it they gave me a little prize money. My dad drove me down to Toys R Us (it was the first time I'd ever been there) and bought a Gameboy Advance SP (I never owned anything before) and picked up Pokémon Emerald too. It made me so happy because I could finally play Pokémon game. Then that fucker from the backside of the horse track stole it. Fuck you Jacob.
>>
I would play a little bit of blue and fire red on her ds until I got my own ds with pearl
>>
>>27310733
never played them as a kid, only picked them up fairly recently

PokeMMO (the online version of FireRed) in 2011 or 2012

after that I bought a Gameboy Color , played Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, got a GBA, played Emerald, got a DS, played Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, White, Black 2, Conquest and by that time X and Y were just coming out

I've also played some ROMhacks on emulators (the Drayano games are probably better than the originals) but nothing beats having the handheld in your hands

Gen4 is probably my favorite, I love Sinnoh, the new designs, the Gen2 remakes, everything

>>
Parents asked me what I would like for my ninth birthday and I really wanted a Game Boy Colour. Luckily for me Pokémon came out just under a month before my birthday. When my parents bought the handheld it came with Pokémon Red and Wario Land II.

I had no idea what Pokémon was but god damn it was the best damn game I had ever played and before long all my friends had it. Chose Charmander, thought I'd breeze through with a fire breathing dinosaur guy; how wrong I was.
>>
My time playing Red and Gold whenever they first came out was when I was borrowing someone else's copy and Gameboy.

It was only whenever Ruby came out that I had my own Gameboy Advance and bought a copy with my own money. Though I still love Gen1, Gen3 felt like the first Pokemon game that was actually mine.
>>
Got LeafGreen for christmas in 2004 for the Gameboy advance SP
>>
>1999 or so
>mom's bf worked at papa johns
>one of his coworkers gave him Red to give to me

thanks papa johns for the pokemon game i guess.
>>
>>27311745
Don't get SS, get HG instead so you're not forced to go through HM Island
>>
>>27312532
>Hey You Pikachu

Man I remember wanting that game so bad when i was little, tried to rent it once but it was out. Years later I actually got the game, but no mic, and I know the game's pretty bad even without playing it
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.