[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Competitive Battling.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: top10mechanical_gengargolem.png (114KB, 583x322px) Image search: [Google]
top10mechanical_gengargolem.png
114KB, 583x322px
So /vp/ help me out. A buddy and me are going to try to get into competitive battling. Been an avid fan of everything about pokemon for many years (only dropped it while going through late puberty circa Diamond/Pearl). But I've always been afraid of the competitive aspect because when I get involved with something, it's a HUGE time-sink for me. And now I'm in a career that takes up the majority of my time.

So here's what I'd like to know. How do I get into competitive battling the best way without all the time spent grinding and learning EVERYTHING strategically, but also still having fun in the process. Cuz I'd like to make a fun league for my friends to play in, championship style.

Extra points if you can give me a simple team/strategy to look into that's competitively viable, yet simple to run for beginners.
>>
save yourself from ruining pokemon

at the end of this road there is only suffering. you will lose everything you love about pokemon and see only numbers and hate

stop and do something else
>>
>>27280847
play in the showdown low ladder, everybody is retarded there
>>
you don't have to learn anything.
just get a group of 6 powerful dudes and have fun.

a common strategy is a FWG (fire/water/grass) core, using 3 pokemon of those types.
>>
>>27280847
get someone to inject you mons if time is an issue. I got a full team for the sinnoh contest in the daily injection general.

also, don't be afraid to try bullshit builds. Anything works since pokemon is more about luck than skill.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoubles-402007517
>>
>>27280847
>So here's what I'd like to know. How do I get into competitive battling the best way without all the time spent grinding and learning EVERYTHING strategically, but also still having fun in the process
Showdown sounds like the best way for you.
>>
>>27280847
Showdown is the best way to go about making a team.

Though the meta is stale and stagnant at this state, I think Tank Garchomp is the in thing at the moment as opposed to sweeper?

The point is, you'll be setting up your EVs to where every pokemon is made to survive JUST enough of a certain attack. This is the case for all pokemon.
>>
double battles ruined pokemon desu
>>
File: 1329093218227.png (31KB, 673x519px) Image search: [Google]
1329093218227.png
31KB, 673x519px
>>27280955
Doubles is my favorite and I noticed you can use much more pokemon and more strategies than in singles.
I still don't understand why Rotations failed. They are perfect 1v1 as peeople wanted in theory
>>
>>27280847
So, basically, you have :
- Smogon which is THE reference of competitive battling. You can get most of the information you need there.
- Pokémon Showdown which is the most used battle simulator. You can build your teams there and after that, you can battle.

There are many kind of battle types but I think it's best to start with singles OU. You'll have more fun with the other kind later.

First, go there : http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ou/ pick 6 dudes you like among the list. For each of them :
- read their page
- pick a set
- click on export
- copy/paste on PS's Teambuilder

Once it's done, start OU battles. You'll get rekt. Analyse why. If you don't get it, go look at the smogon's page of the pokémon that just swept your team. They'll tell you which pokémons can deal with it (Checks and counters). Change your team. Start over.

After a while, you'll know most of the OU threats and you'll be able to make good teams. Until then, just practice and you'll learn. A lot.

Once you think you know everything about OU, try other metas. I think Monotype is a good one as you'll be able to play with OU mons that you know as well as lower tiers mons that you'll discover.
>>
>>27281196
>You'll get rekt.
kek, if he can actually paste smogon sets he's already gonna climb because bottom ladder frequently forgets adding EVs and uses horrible shitmons with retarded movesets
>>
>>27281095
>Doubles is my favorite and I noticed you can use much more pokemon and more strategies than in singles.

The only thing doubles does is lets some pokemon that aren't good in singles shine. Different pokemon will be overused compared to singles, but they actual scope of usable pokemon is the same or even worse really.

Ou singles right now is pretty boring. Ubers is actually fun, but I prefer UU. UU has lots of different pokemon running around doing all kinds of shit. It will really test your prediction and match up abilities.
>>
just go to smogon. you'll be fine from there
>>
>>27280847
A good place to actually learn competitve battling REALLY quick is through Pokemon Groups on FB. Yeah there are alot that might be shit and cringe, but there are a few that actually will help you fast.
>>
Read up on the basics, choose a playstyle, make a team, try it out, get wrecked, then ask Smogon Forums, Nuggetbridge if you're playing VGC, or /r/stunfisk for help. Comp general on /vp/ is basically dead.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160720-172901.png (798KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160720-172901.png
798KB, 1440x2560px
OP here. So I woneed a match with this team is threw together. How'd I do /vp/? Any immediate changes I need to make?
>>
>>27281981
5/6 of your team is fragile as fuck, even more so considering 4 of them have Life Orbs. Breloom really wants Spore, it's practically the entire reason it's OU, and generally prefers Technician to abuse Mach Punch and Bullet Seed. If you're intent on running Toxic Orb, consider Substitute as well as Spore to fully abuse the multiplicative healing. For Talonflame, itemless Acrobatics is a meme, and Bulk Up doesn't really work great on a relatively fragile Pokemon either.
>>
>>27281981
>no mega
>Breloom without Spore or priority
>that niche Talonflame meme set
>Analytic Starmie
>Icy Wind on Gengar
>3 death orbs
>not enough bulky mons
>>
>>27282109
Analytic is actually a suggested set on Smogon, I assume because of all the speedcreep this gen. Natural Cure is still probably superior.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.