[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumb Names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 663.png (56KB, 400x295px) Image search: [Google]
663.png
56KB, 400x295px
>Fletchling
>Fletchinder
>Talonflame

Are there any names that roll as uncomfortably off the tongue as these?

This is not a hate thread. It has nothing to do with a given Pokemon's design. Pokemon has always relied mostly (pretty much entirely) on portmanteau and wordplay and a lot of early generation Pokemon are some of the biggest offenders. But I'd be willing to bet that everyone has a name or two that they've always felt was awkward.
>>
i remember when reuniclus was revealed and everybody collectively went "wat"
>>
>>27264371
Feltching was okay

I hated Scatterbug
>>
>>27264371
>Bewear
>Comfey
>Mudsdale

>>>>TOGEDEMARU
>>
>>27264371
Pikachu makes no sense if you don't know japanese.
>>
>>27264371
>Pignite
>>
>>27264383
I still don't know the proper way. I say "Ray-unc-u-less".
>>
>>27264371
Makuhita
Feraligatr (They missed the chance to go with Aquadile and it bothers me that they went to a name that couldn't even fit first)
Skorupi (could've just made it Scorpi or Scorpy if the intention was to make it intoned like Japanese)
>>
>>27264464
I say Ray-eu (as in europe)-knee-cluss
>>
I always thought that Groudon and Kyogre were weird to say. Groudon feels like it should be Groundon and I always pronounced Kyogre as "Kai oh gra" as a kid, though now I know it's pronounced "Kai oh ger."
>>
>>27264528
How many letters long can your Pokemon's name be now?
>>
>>27264561
>>
>>27264464
Ryu-nic-liss
>>
>>27264371
Seel is a lazy attempt at a name.
>>
File: Ditto_1.png (2MB, 1566x881px) Image search: [Google]
Ditto_1.png
2MB, 1566x881px
>>27264679
Ditto
>>
>>27264371
>Sigilyph
Is is supposed to be the g like in sigil or the g like in glyph? It can't be fucking both
>Beartic
fuck
>Klink, Klang, Klinklang
should've been Klink Klank Klunk, or just not so shitty a name scheme
>Reuniclus
>Dialga & Palkia
japanese phonetics of Dia(mond) and Pearl means they always sound like shitty engrish
>roggenrolla
>dragalge
the emphasis needed to pronounce the -alge makes it roll off the tongue weird
>furfrou
totally lacks the phonetic play on froufrou
>unfezant
>conkledurr
>>
>>27264623
>>27264550
>>27264464
the etymology isn't confirmed but given the names in other languages it looks like it was taken from "reunite" so it'd actually be pronounced Re You Nigh Klus
>>
>>27264792
Bear+Tick?
B-ar(c)tic?
>>
>>27264792
FoorFroo?
FerFre(r)?
>>
File: EsLmDWAR.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
EsLmDWAR.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>27264371

Most names that are obvious mashups or blatant puns feel fucking stupid. Some work... rarely.

Example of a handful of good names, which are either mashups or subtle puns:
>Charmander
>Ivysaur
>Sandslash (Obvious mashup, still rolls well)
>Cyndaquil
>Marowak (subtle pun, works well)
>Grovyle
>Shiftry (subtle pun/mashup, nicely translated)
>Galvantula
>Castform

Example of bad stupid fucking names, which are either awful puns, mashups that were scraped from the bottom of the barrel, or contrived turns of phrase mushed into a single word:
>Mudsdale
>Comfey
>Charjabug
>Fletchinder
>Glameow
>Skuntank
>Roggenrolla
>Krookodile
>Vanillite
>Vanillish
>Vanilluxe
>Klink
>Klang
>Klinklang
>Honedge
>Doublade
>Aegislash
>Throh
>Hitmonchan (fucking)
>Hitmonlee (we get it.)
>Hitmontop (which, uh, which movie star is this?)

Are you fucking high tier:
>Beartic
>Abomasnow
>Regigigas
>>
>>27264856
No, no--I understand the thought. I'm saying this is a stupid fucking thought. Sounds like ass, they could have paid an intern to come up with something better on his lunch break.
>>
>>27264898
glameow worked fine, as did krookadile, but i more or less agree with the rest in the bad list
>>
>>27264371
B E W E A R
E
W
E
A
R
>>
>>27265091
Not as bad as Charge-a-bug and mud horse.

>Would it have worked as Beawere?
>>
>>27265319
....Nope.

If they want this Pokemon to work, they'll need to read the lore description again and then go back to a blank sheet of paper.
>>
>>27265091
>>27265319
>>27265371
Reminder it could have been Gruzzly
>>
>>27265606
hugly
>>
>>27265606
Its dumb too but, it sounds more like endearing pokemon dumb. Gruzzly is way better than Bewear
>>
>>27264383
apparently im a phonetic god because i've never had trouble with that one. think along the lines of the word nucleus.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.