[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gen1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

I will never understand what's so great about gen 1. I've always found it hanously terrible. It's just no fun. Fire Red and Leaf Green were pretty great, and were actually what got me to love Pokémon, but original RBY was just awful.

Can someone objectively tell me why they like it without comparing it to other gens? I'll be back in a bit to explain my side of things, I just gotta' get something done quick.
>>
Because its the only one they're familiar with.

Don't come for me, i played Red when it came out.
>>
>>27132320
Nostalgia.
>>
Playing through Pokemon Go reminded me how kinda boring some of the Gen 1 Pokemon are.
>>
>>27132320
>Can someone objectively tell me

No, because any attachment to Gen 1 lies in nostalgia. Objectively Gen 1 is really, really bad. The only thing it does better than pretty much all the other games is the lack of hand-holding. Gen 1 throws you out there with pretty much no guidance. You have a map of where all the towns are and you're expected to explore and visit all of them. There's no pre-selected path.

But other than that? There isn't much else to Gen 1. There's a lot of love and fondness for it because it started everything and is the bedrock for a lot of people's childhoods, which is why people will fight tooth and nail to defend it. But if we're being objective it has plenty of problems. That doesn't make it bad per se, but calling them the best in the series would be dumb.
>>
>>27132320
Best RPG of it's day. Be honest, how old are you?
>>
>>27132320
>hanously
Found the problem: you're retarded
>>
>>27132445
Holy shit, boy did I fuck that one up
>>
>>27132320
I agree that the gameplay and story is bland, and that most people prefer them because they grew up with the hype of pokemon being something completely new and exciting. But I still think the designs are (on the whole) good, and disagree that this point is entirely based on nostalgia.

I grew up with RBY and replay it now and again, but yeah, I find it more boring each time I play it. It's really not that interesting of a game once you're past the magic of pokemon. Newer games have more fun and complex features, and more characters/story progression to keep your attention.
>>
>>27132432
>Best RPG of it's day.

But final fantasy exists
>>
>>27132432
Be honest. Since when do you visit /vp/? Let me guess... Pokemon go release?
>>
>>27132320
I don't consider Gen 1 better or worse than any other gens, but I think it did some things right. I appreciate the simplicity of the plot--there basically isn't one. There's some shit about Team Rocket, but the game doesn't rail you along like the more recent ones.

I appreciate that the legendaries (which is really just the birds and Mewtwo) are incredibly optional, and can be missed and/or stumbled upon. I always thought Saffron City was neat, with the idea that there's an old washed-up gym (the fighting gym) that just can't compete with Sabrina. Kanto is a reasonably well-designed region, although I think it does suffer from existing before the games could implement weather/environments effectively. All that said, if anyone genuinely prefers the Gen 1 titles to the Gen 3 remakes, they're fucking stupid as fuck.
>>
>>27132432
Anon. The first SMT was a better RPG, even staying exclusively within the Mon sub-genera, and came out nine fucking years earlier.
>>
>>27132594
No one cares about persona
>>
>>27132445
indeed he is dude its fucking vp
>>
>>27132511
>>27132511
This is /vp/'s "summerfag" meme
>>
Objectively speaking Gen 1 had the most well-rounded pokedexes along with gen 3 and gen 5.

Gen 2(babies/cross evos) and Gen 4(lol legendaries) felt like expansion pack for the preceding ones

Then Kalos had, lol 70 pokes
>>
I think a lot of you don't understand why pokemon was so huge, or you were too young/it was before your time.

Do you remember how massive the gameboy was? Think back to the type of games that ran on a gameboy. I'm sure you're thinking of something like Tetris or Super Mario, very good yet basic games.
Pokemon was a collectathon RPG where you could catch and train 150 monsters, travel around a large map, have many gym battles and trade/battle your friends, all while throwing it in your backpack for easy travel.

There was simply nothing even close to pokemon at the time, people were still using pagers instead of mobile phones for portable communication for god's sake.
This is why people look back so fondly at the original 151, it was a giant phenomena, pokemon was absolutely everywhere. I think the equivalent today would probably be something like minecraft (in terms of popularity for kids) but even then it's not really the same because there was a tv show so even if you didn't play the games you still knew what it was.
Because it was pushed on everyone like this, everyone still remembers shitmons like butterfree, geodude, drowzee etc. It was literally how kids bonded with each other back in the day, everyone liked it.
This is why the original 151 always appeal to such a larger crowd than what we have now, everyone already knows them, 721 is too overwhelming for most people to start learning. I don't understand how you guys have such a difficult time comprehending this and getting upset, you're kind of underestimating exactly how huge pokemon was in the 90's, it dominated the world.
>>
>>27132320
Objectively tell what is so good about any pokemon game?
>>
>>27133072
I'm not OP. I was there at the very start when Pokémon was a big thing. I remember it. Yet OP is asking about gen I without the whole nostalgia thing. Question is, what is so good about gen I on its own merit?

Answering the question, the good thing is that it was the start of the whole Pokémon concept, and that's it. Some designs are bland, it has a very simplistic story (it's a low point for me - jrpgs must have a plot by definition and I'd appreciate it if Pokémon had a more complex story), and the games were buggy as shit.

On the plus side? Some designs were good, the rival felt like one, it has some memorable places... Outside the rival feeling like one, every gen has good designs and memorable places.
>>
>>27133409
Why the fuck are you here? You don't even like Pokémon.
>>
>>27133421
What is so good about gen 2-6? All they did was copy Genwun over and over.
>>
>>27133444
Legitimately answer the question and you'll see what is so good about gen 1.
>>
>>27133451
>All they did was copy Genwun over and over.
Except they didn't. They expanded on the Pokémon concept and refined it, adding new things and new Pokémon, fleshing out the world and adding new mechanics (no, don't argue with "they also removed things" - what has been removed is only overworld stuff, Pokémon battles have only beem improving overtime).

Like how FFII was not a copy of FFI, it used the same basics while expanding on it.

>>27133486
>Legitimately answer the question and you'll see what is so good about gen 1.
This is too personal of an answer, but I'd say it's the collecting and battling aspects. Both of which have improved over the years.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.