[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Pokemon look so different after gen 2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (102KB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102KB, 300x257px
Why do Pokemon look so different after gen 2?
>>
Because Gen 1 and 2 were extremely close. Most of the pokemon in Gen 2 were designed at the same time as gen 1 ones. Besides, Gen 2 was supposed to be the end of the franchise, what with you returning to Kanto (only gen that has this) and ending with you fighting the player character from Gen 1.

But then they realized that Pokemon prints money and continued anyway
>>
They don't.
>>
>>27079968
Eh, they actually do.

For one do they have lots more (unnecessary) details.
>>
>>27079940
different artist/artstyle/designers
>>
Some do, some don't. Grovyle and Mudkip fit in just from that image. Torkoal's got a little too much superfluous stuff going on.
>>
Hoenn was the first reset, and featured a lot of new ideas and changes. The designs are very risky and unsafe because of this. Unova did the same.
>>
>>27080019
Then the first post should've been "why do Pokemon look so different after gen 1" instead, because gen 2 has the same "flaw".
>>
>>27079965
>what with you returning to Kanto (only gen that has this) and ending with you fighting the player character from Gen 1.
Next Gen in Southern Kalos will return to X/Y's Northern Kalos like this.
>>
>>27079940
(you)
>>
>>27079940
There was a big jump in technology which allowed GameFreak to create more detailed and colorful designs without the sprites looking like shit.
>>
>>27080019
Yes, because pokémon like Alakazan didn't exist.

>>27080046
>risky and unsafe
What are you even babbling about?
>>
>>27080076
/thread
>>
I don't get why people dislike Hoenn's designs so much, it's easily my favorite out of the gens. Is it just bitterness from when the games first came out and couldn't communicate with the older ones?
>>
>>27080083
Hoenn's designs had a massively different style to the older gens, a lot more ideas put into them.
>>
File: 00.png (1MB, 1318x988px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
1MB, 1318x988px
Pokemon's designs really started evolving for the better starting with Gen III. Note that that does not mean that those that came before it are terrible by any means, but I really like how Hoenn shook things up.
>>
3 > 2 = 4 > 1 > 6 >5 in design
>>
>>27080083
>implying that Alakazam has alot of unnecessary details
>pointing out Alakazam when there's Kadabra
Leave
>>
>>27080187

1 = 3 = 5 > 2 = 6 > 4

Fixed.
>>
>>27080187
>5
>last
Come on. I know for a fact you don't hate the designs that much and are just salty at the fanbase.
>>
>>27080274
I like the games, but there are barely any Pokemon there I like for their design. A good number are cool competitively.
>>
>>27080297
Then I feel sorry for you for not being able to appreciate good things.
>>
Generation 7 is shaping up to be the weirdest designed Pokemon in comparison to all the other ones.
>>
>>27079940
they don't?

for a while i thought that slugma and skarmory were gen 3
>>
>>27080335
That's how it always is. Hoenn was weird, Unova was even weirder.
>>
>>27080019
what is umbreon
what is dunsparce
what is girafarig
>>
>>27080368
Nah, Kalos was pretty standard at that point. Unova's dex was full of analogs of Kanto so it wasn't that weird either. Sinnoh didn't change all that much after Hoenn. Alola really is the biggest leap thus far.
>>
>>27080076
This.
The "unnecessary" details in the newer designs just seems to be GF wanted to make the designs more eye catchy and colorful.

Whether you like that or not, it's up to you.
>>
>>27080428
I'm talking only odd gens, they take it easy with even ones.
>Unova's dex was full of analogs of Kanto so it wasn't that weird either.
Even so, still very weird compared to Gen 1. I'd say it's the most "foreign" set of Pokemon yet. A few of them being mirrored from Kanto Pokemon almost helps that.
>>
>>27080019
>unnecessary details
unnecessary comment.
What makes a detail necessary or not?
>>
>>27080593

Whether I personally like it or not.
>>
>>27080226
Holy shit. Perfect taste man.
>>
File: baiting.jpg (137KB, 1171x540px) Image search: [Google]
baiting.jpg
137KB, 1171x540px
>>27080019
>>
>>27080226
literally me
>>
>>27080593
whether or not the detail makes at least some physiological sense
>>
>>27080601
/thread
>>
>>27080694
What Pokémon details make physiological sense? I want some examples, please.
>>
>>27080694
Most of them are just extra colors or stripes. You make it sound like they attached a 5th leg to a horse.
>>
>>27079965
Gen 2 is closer to Gen 3 than it is to Gen 1

>>27080310
Listen buddy I loved the hell out of gen5 but bad designs outweighted the new ones
>>
>>27080714
Manmade horseshoe magnets and giant screws
>>
>>27080823
>Gen 2 is closer to Gen 3 than it is to Gen 1

How to spot a retard
>>
>>27079965
>>27080076
these
>>
>>27080823
That's just your shit opinion.
>>
>>27080823
Monkies, Genies, Vannilish, Klingklang, Samurott...? There's 156 unova mons, can you actually name 78 bad designs?
>>
>>27080823
>bad designs outweighed new ones
You mean good ones, which btw is false.

Hydreigon, Golurk, Haxorus, Braviary, Volcarona>Garbodor, Vanilluxe, Klinklang
>>
File: camppikachu.png (282KB, 576x510px) Image search: [Google]
camppikachu.png
282KB, 576x510px
>>27080853
it's true tho
>>
I don't judge based on designs because I pretty much love all of them equally

However, judging by pokédex I go:
3 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 6

Hoenn's is diverse, has mostly new creatures with a few old buddies returning, and mirrors the tropical-ish island theme fantastically

Unova dex is very ~complete~ and has an amazing balance of types and designs (everything from weird to cute to cool) and does the whole "reboot" dex thing pretty good

Kanto is diverse and I guess just sets the standard, it doesn't stand out a lot but it doesn't have any problems, really

Johto has my favourite pokémon designs all around and compiements Kanto really well, the only problem I have is that some of the mons got locked into the postgame instead of doing like Hoenn

Sinnoh's dex tries to be all cool and hip but it lacks diversity (fire types getting the short end of the stick especially) also a lot of mons are trade evolutions and so it sucks if you have to play alone, platinum also locked skuntank, mismagius, honchkrow and purugly out of reach. Also I have a major complaint on things like Gliscor and Yanmega not getting Fly

Kalos is a huge clusterfucky dex that fails to highlight the new designs introduced, I get the idea but the execution was a huge mess. Also but not my main point: the new designs make use of having no more sprite limitations which makes them end up having lots of tiny details (believe me I've sprited barbaracle in the past and also thought of attempting xerneas but gave up)
>>
>>27079940
>>27079940

Because animals tend to look different from region to region

just like real life./
>>
>>27080934
The "bad ones" aren't even inherantly bad, just different than most Pokémon. Garbodor, Klinkklang, and Vanilluxe are pretty well designed, and Samurott isn't bad at all, the only thing is that it should be Bipedal.
>>
>>27080929
>Knocking Samurott
Confirmed normalfag.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.