[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixing the Ice type

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: _4305579.png (10KB, 501x195px) Image search: [Google]
_4305579.png
10KB, 501x195px
If there's one thing I hope they do with Sun/Moon, it's fixing the worst defensive typing in the game.

Let's put this into perspective here: Ice type is weak to rock, steel, fighting and fire. The only type it resists is itself. Why?
>"It's meant to be frail"

Is it though? I don't debate it's weaknesses, I just think it should resist more types than itself.

The easy choices here are ground (because the ice literally covers the ground) and grass.

Ice should, in theory, also resist Fairy and Dragon since both dislike cold environments in mythology.

I won't even start on the whole "should ice resist water" debate, because that could go on forever.

What would you do to fix the Ice type, vp?
>>
Make it resist Bug. Bug needs a nerf. Honestly much too strong of a type.
>>
>>26787187
Let Ice resist Flying.

People want it to resist Ground too, but it'll barely solve anything since most Ground types get Rock coverage.
>>
>worst defensive type in the game
>grass is weak to fire, flying, bug, poison, psychic, and ice

If they're going to fix the ice type, they can fix the grass type as well.
>>
>>26787187
>>"It's meant to be frail"
I want to say that it's clearly not since there's a pretty big leaning towards defensive ice types iirc. But it's had its weaknesses and resistances since gen 1, and I'm sure they could tell then that it wasn't. Even Rock which is notorious for being forced into defensive roles at least had SOME basis for that in Gen 1 where normal moves played a pretty different role to now.
>>
>>26787287
>grass is weak to psychic
???
>>
>>26787287
Where are you getting psychic? You must be thinking of grass/poison types.
>>
>>26787258
imo this is what I think would be likely to happen. Resistances to Flying/Ground would be something they'd do.
>>
>nerfing grass
Fuck you.
Make ice resist water, dragon, and maybe ground.
>>
Ghost resist, go.
>>
>>26787308
Yeah, I agree. Ice doesn't need four fucking resistances, its already a great offensive type.
Dragon just got a nerf, so imo it should be like this.

Ice now resists Water, Flying, and Ground.
>>
>>26787313
Yeah but you have to remember the types have to have some semblance of logic. How does ice resist ghost, logically?
>>
>>26787334
There's a number of resistances especially that I'm pretty sure have no place in flavorful interaction.
>>
>>26787187
I don't think it should resist dragon. Dragon has been taking a beating lately. They introduced steel to resist it and then fairy as well. They were supposed to be OP
>>
>Resists Flying,Ground,Dragon,Fairy
Good enough?
>>
>>26787187
Ice needs to resist Flying, Fairy and Ground, while keeping its offensive, so it would become the anti-meta type.
Also give Avalugg +30 sp.def and +20 sp atk to Aurorus.
>>
>>26787287
Grass has 4 resistances including 2 useful one: ground and water, immunity against powder and move and has acces to reliable recovery and utility move like synthesis and aromatherapy.
Ice only resist itself and has immunity to hail, the worst weather and freeze, the only useful thing the type give. If they should fix another type, it would be rock.
>>
Get rid of Water's resistance to Ice. Make Ice resistant to Water/Flying/Ground.
>>
Let Ice resist dragon and remove the weakness to Rock. Make Water neutral to Ice.
Regains HP during hailstorm (Ice Body doubles the regen factor).

Fixing Rock is more important, though.
Remove the offensive advantage over Ice and instead make them resist it. Also make them neutral to Ground.
Give Rock-types a "Bulk Up" type of move that if used when you have Entry Hazards around clears them and increases both Defense and Attack by two stages instead of just one.
>>
>>26787316
>>26787352
>>26787358
>>26787384
>let's just throw a shitload of resistances on it
why does this happen every time

It should get no more than 2 defensive buffs, preferably +1 resistance and -1 weakness. Even just giving it a resistance to fairy would likely give it enough of a niche to be a lot more balanced. It's still a type that's supposed to be offensively focused.
>>
>>26787429
Honestly, it doesn't matter so much.

-Water no longer resists Ice
-Ice now resists Water and Flying

Better?
>>
>>26787397
Also, create a physical ice attack with more BP than Ice Punch. A large issue with offensive Ice mons is that they have to rely on something with 75BP as their more powerful STAB attack

Maybe also introduce Fire and Water moves that Ice types can learn for coverage.
>>
Flying + Ground resistances are really the best way to go. Dragon has too few SE hits to justify another resistance, grass has too many resists already, and water is already fine. But currently flying has too few resistances with too much defensive overlap and ground has too much of a focus on immunities over resists.
>>
>>26787919
Check this:

Icicile crash
BP: 85
PP:10
Secondary effect: flinch (30%)
>>
>>26787187
Simple
We remove it
>>
>>26787187
Steel should lose its ice resistance.
>>
>Ice
Give it Dragon, Fairy and Water resists

>Bug
Deal neutral damage to Fairy
Give it Fairy resist

>Rock
Resist itself
>>
>>26787187
Hail gives 50% increase to defense for ice types.
This would change a decent amount of problems the type has.
Just wait for the hail teams everywhere.
>>
>>26787295
>>26787297

Wait, are you serious?

This whole time, all the years I've been playing pokemon, I've thought that grass pokemon were weak to psychic.
>>
- Ice moves now SE against Water and Rock types
- Ice types take SE damage from Ground moves
- Ice now receives a defense boost in Hail, the damage no longer affects Steel or Ground pokemon.
- S/M introduces some actually fast, offensively oriented Ice pokemon.
- Icicle Crash accuracy increased to 100% and flinch chance reduced to 10%, distribution increased.

Makes them more of a glass cannon by giving them more weaknesses in exchange for more opportunities for damage, makes Hail more useful whilst allowing you to have allied pokemon that won't get fucked by Hail (with appropriate counters).

That said the issue is whether this just means more Ice moves on non ice types, so maybe Pokemon in general needs an overhaul that reduces the damage of all moves but increases STAB to equalise the gap.
>>
>>26788112

Nope.

In Gen 1 the majority of the grass types you got were part poison which meant they were weak to Psychic moves, hence the misconception.

Don't feel bad, I still forget stuff like Rock isn't immune to Electric or that Ice is not SE against Rock types, because Rock/Ground was also common as much in Gen 1.
>>
>>26787963
>Accuracy 90%
0.9x85=77.5
It has about the same quality against bulky pokemon.

Also, I meant something like Ice-type Double Edge or Close Combat. Something that deals enough damage to KO things that are weak to it with STAB., and threaten neutral tanks with a 2HKO if used by a powerful enough mon

Weavile's Icicle Crash is still not enough to KO anything that isn't 4x weak to it.
>>
>>26788173
Wasn't EVERY Grass type except Tangela and Paras part Poison?
>>
>>26788190
Make that five, because Exeggcute.
>>26788149
>Ice is now SE on Water
rip freeze dry
>>
>>26788212
fucking Exeggcute, I always forget about that bloody thing
>>
>>26787187
>Now resists Water, Ground, Grass, and Flying Type attacks.
>Deals super effective damage against both Water and Fire Type Pokémon to even the elemental concept of ice being a powerful force of nature.
>Gains a physical Defense boost in Hail.
Is this fixed enough for ya?
>>
>Ice resists water, grass, and ground (it freezes all 3)
>Grass is neutral to flying (flying still has amazing neutral coverage)
>Grass resists and is super effective against fairy (helps grass types and tones down one of the best types in the game)
>Rock resists fighting and electric (fighting still hits 4 types super effectively)
>Electric is super effective against Steel (conductor)
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.