[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are they going too far?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 29

File: shit.jpg (14KB, 203x232px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
14KB, 203x232px
Are they going too far?
>>
>>26735047
No because is something you and I already knew and is there for the newbies and babbys
>>
>>26735047
By showing you what it will be the effectivness ?

Oh well, everything's casual nowaday, I already know my table of type, so I don't care.

Also I think it might be funny against pokemons with abilities that gives immunities (for example, levitate) if the player only count on this and doesn t think enough.
>>
>>26735047
yes, it's not optional despite many people perpetuating this myth
>>
Who cares? You already know these things anyway. It literally has no effect on your experience unless you somehow take personal offense that the game thinks you're dumb enough to not know.
>>
Nope, cause everyone who knows, already knows and the babies that don't know, don't know. People who have a problem with this when they know all the typings to an obsessive degree are autistic morons.
>>
It's a great change and makes the game easier for complete newcomers WITHOUT getting in the way for people who have been doing this shit for 20 years.

Anyone who takes issue with this is a narcissistic cunt whose opinion should be ignored.
>>
>Wants to get his information online instead of just having it right in front of him

Makes no sense. Similarly, Showdown is right to show the min-max speed of the opposing Pokemon, because anyone could just look it up, but not to just waste everyone's time, you might as well put it up there.
>>
>>26735047
At least you have to battle the Pokémon once before you are shown this info. But you and I both know we'll know every single mon's typing before we play the game.
>>
No it's just SMT shit in Pokemon. First time you fight them it doesn't show anything, only the second time shows what your move does to them.
>>
Nobody should give a shit about this. It changes fucking nothing.
>>
>>26735151
>Water move on Pokemon that could have Dry Skin
>it could say "Effective(?)"
>>
>>26735047

Not really, no.
>>
>>26735268
Im okay with the effectiveness being showed but this comparison is not acceptable.
>>
Also I swear to god people better not be bitching about them showing stat changes. Simulators have done it for a while now and no one bitches about it. It's a great feature that's useful for those who care and non intrusive for those who don't. Fuck you if you're somebody whining about it.
>>
Fairy is less effective against Fire types?
>>
Only possible downside is if it takes abilities into account. It could ruin the mindgames gimmick of pokemon like Bronzong.
>>
>>26735502
Yep
>>
Doesn't affect me, I already know the type matchups.
>>
>>26735047
My only question is if it will reveal your Pokemon'a ability that grants an immunity or neutrality.
>>
>>26735335
My point is -sorry if it wasn t clear- if gamefreak is smart, to not show Effective yeah. Otherwise, the surprise and each abilities like that will be useless :/
>>
>routinely forget some of the more obscure matchups
>have been playing for 15 years

I feel this is an objectively good addition to the games
>>
>>26735047
SMT and Persona have it, if you select an attack and highlight an enemy, you'll see a "!" If its for good effect/crit.
>>
What's wrong with the 'It's not very effective' text when you use the move? The early stages of the game where you'd be learning this stuff are the most forgiving, so it doesn't matter if you use a few ineffective moves.

Makes the interface look a little cluttered too, especially with the big ugly information logo. You could hold the shoulder buttons to see this information before.
>>
Does anyone have that image where the guy looks how are its stadistics affected by growl or whatever?
Also, that shit will be really good for competitive.
>>
>>26735047
nah it is fine, i don't need to use my internet every time i play competitive anymore just to see which one of my moves hit super effective against s a 720 Pokemon with , BTW still gonna have different stat , ability , and all that glorious items , that i need to take account when battling other player.. it is just a QoF update and it is fine for me , and hey think for the children that are playing the game for the first time, think of other customer that playing the damn franchise for the first time and got hit by EV, IV ,Type advantages, stat and 720 pokemons that are available now. it quite challenging and it doesnt even affect all old timers, they still know which moves will be super effective and which are not, RIGHT ?
>>
As someone who knows everything about Pokemon I still definitely agree it's bad design for a game to expect the average player to know it all.
>>
File: 1442017756557.jpg (78KB, 495x497px) Image search: [Google]
1442017756557.jpg
78KB, 495x497px
>>26735047
En serio?
Stop it with the hand holding holy shit
>>
>>26735821
>>26735876
not for surprise hidden abilities though

maybe it will just show what the move should IDEALLY do, that's the best way to handle it

I don't want my water absorb cacturne for instance being btfo instead of getting smart switch ins for hydro pumps
>>
>>26736437
>it quite challenging
no it not
>>
File: 1457985762428.jpg (59KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457985762428.jpg
59KB, 500x400px
>>26735151
>implying it won't say "not effective" in that case
>>
>>26735502
Shit like this is why this is a good change
>>
>>26735047
Is this the baby mode?
>>
This game is made for children. Sure, we can enjoy it too, but the target audience is kids. Kids are stupid and need handholding. Maybe you didn't back in 1998, that's cool, but stop making a big deal out of this, it is not a game-ruining thing at all
>>
My main problem is that it looks ugly. So do the information buttons. It's a neat idea, but it should have beet better designed (though I love the new battle interface in general).

I also think it's a shame the moves are no longer in a square.
>>
Think about it though, with the shitload of pokemon we've been getting lately and new type combos being introduced, it's hard for young people to remember what's weak against what. How many people remember that rock resists poison?
>>
>>26735047
This is something that doesn't hurt old players and assist new players. Also, this screams as a default feature that can easily be turn off in the settings menu.

Now if only they could put the damage on moves like grass knot, return, heavy slam, etc. Those would actually be cool.
>>
>>26736696
thats part of the fun in battle underage nips on battle spot

don't take that from me

people i've battle STILL think fairy is weak to bug/dark (they basically think fairy = psychic because pink)
>>
this is fine, as long as:
-it doesn't point out the effectiveness against a pokemon you never encountered, because you don't know the type.
-either it doesn't take abilities into consideration or only does so after you have confirmed them. for example it will say giga drain is SE against azumarill, but after you use it and it has sap sipper, it will either keep saying it's SE or will have an exclamation or something.
>>26736703
this, showdown does this and it's pretty fucking useful. should only work against pokemon you have caught, since I don't think weight is known just by seeing the pokemon.
>>
>>26736567

This is my main problem with them, I don't see why they didn't implement it in a way more like smartphones, something like long pressing or swiping the move upwards or sidewards to see information and effectiveness.

>Instinctive to kids who have grown up in the smartphone generation
>Makes the interface less cluttered
>Makes it basically optional so you don't feel like your hand is still being held constantly.

Everyone is happy, perfect compromise.
>>
>>26735047
only if its enabled in online battles
>>
>>26736806
It's already fucking basically optional. If you know it you fucking know it. If you didn't now you do. You even have to battle the Pokemon once before to have it register the information so it's not like you're seeing a totally new Pokemon and guessing the typing, as though most Pokemon aren't clearly the type they are supposed to be, like guessing the typing was some beloved fucking aspect of the game.
>>
File: 1406777211396.jpg (17KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1406777211396.jpg
17KB, 292x257px
>>26735047
>mfw zoroark is nerfed even more
>>
>>26736806
you

work in game design
>>
>>26735047
It's really fucking pathetic how little they think of children these days
>>
>>26735047
No they aren't because this is a nice little addition for those that don't know every single type matchup off the top of their head like apparently a lot of you on this board do. Plus this makes it so you don't have to go to a site like Serebii or even go to check a type chart every time you battle something you don't know the weakness to. You people are complaining about a very minor feature that won't impact your lives in any way but will be very handy for a lot of people including kids or those that just don't know all the type matchups.
>>
>>26736866
this though

i said it in my video although less angry, they're doing it for the new wave of little chink kids who can buy the games in their languages most likely

i understand they have an incentive to make the game more streamlined for the largest amount of people...just...why does the majority have to be kids? god i hate kids. I was never a kid, I was shat out as an adult
>>
File: original.jpg (91KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
91KB, 970x546px
>>26736866
What's more pathetic is you overestimating today's children.
>>
>>26736903
>those that don't know every single type matchup off the top of their head like apparently a lot of you on this board do

lmfao you just reek of being underage

i never say this but seriously dude? git gud
>>
>>26735047
>Doesn't happen on first battle with a mon.
Nope, the above alone makes it good.
Allows you to try and work it out first time you encounter a mon, but then noobs don't have to literally memorise every single mons typing combination on top of the typechart.
>>
Nah. Honestly, for a new gen with new pokemon it is kinda nice.

Yeah, its obvious that grass is green water is blue and fire is red but for some pokemon it is nice to have a definitive answer. Especially when catching. Wouldn't wanna accidentally SE a mon you wanna catch just because you didn't know its type.
>>
>>26736967
I'm 24 and I know someone a month older than me that constantly thinks Milotic is pure ice type and Slurpuff is normal type.
>>
>>26736854
>You even have to battle the Pokemon once before to have it register the information so it's not like you're seeing a totally new Pokemon and guessing the typing

I don't see this in the stream? Ledyba and Yungoose are battled for the first time and the effectiveness is right there. Go back and watch it again.

Any other proof of how optional it is? I'm rewatching the stream again to see if I missed anything and I'm not hearing anything about it being optional.
>>
>>26737080
In the universe where we didn't get fairy-type it would have been normal type tbf
>>
>>26737114
Those two aren't even the only ones, he thinks Kangaskhan is ground type and Gyrados is pure water, these are gen 1 pokemon that have been around long enough for him to know otherwise.

He's been playing pokemon since gen 1 is new, the dude's just retarded.
>>
>>26737224
theyre understandable for like the first time you fight them but if you care enough about pokemon to go online and you use a water move on kanga once, find out it isnt super effective, and then continually go online and try it again, you're just the classic definition of insane/stupid

in that case no amount of game handholding would help you
>>
>>26736967
I've been playing the games since Gold and Silver released and am currently 21 years old but I don't know every single type matchup unless I think about them logically. Is it that hard to believe someone doesn't actually know every damn type matchup like someone like you?
>>
File: 1411430519396.jpg (14KB, 410x397px) Image search: [Google]
1411430519396.jpg
14KB, 410x397px
>Go up to an item Pokeball on the ground
>A big "Press A!" message pops up

I-It's a quality of life change, right guys? Now we don't have to remember to press the A button.
>>
>>26737380
i dont even know every matchup off the top of my head, especially when you get into shit like dual types, doesnt mean they need to make it THIS obvious I mean that's part of what makes pokemon fun competitively, is the prediction element. Obviously people who play smogon know all types by heart but i'm somewhere in the middle

maybe they'll turn this off for wifi battles
>>
File: hisoka dance.gif (389KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
hisoka dance.gif
389KB, 400x400px
>Disarming Voice
>Growl
>Pound
>Water Gun
>>
>>26735261
Should've been /thread at this point
>>
>>26737431
If it mattered enough, there is no "prediction" involved, anybody who cares would look it up and find the answer anyway. Having it in the game is merely a convenience.
>>
>>26735047

As long as it isn't in multiplayer battles, I'm cool. Unusual typings make a surprising number of pokemon viable. Makes it more fun to use pokemon like Wigglytuff anyway.
>>
>>26737380
I understood it perfectly when I was 8 years old, it's going to kill the gaming industry for more mature people as games become too easy and children start to learn to think for themselves less. Damn I remember the days when you had to button mash to figure out the controls for yourself, it was a great feeling figuring out strategies and controls for yourself and I am going to miss it dearly.
>>
>>26737265
He forgets a lot, the handholding is for children and retards like him.
>>
>>26737411
Woah wtf?!? Is this a real feature in the game?! If so that's a joke!
>>
>>26735261
>WITHOUT getting in the way for people who have been doing this shit for 20 years.
But it is getting in the way. If you can't understand why you're simply stupid
>>
>>26736952
But this isn't a comparison, they were never taught about the morphball feature to begin with
>>
>>26737549
of course, but thats the problem, peopel wont ever learn or improve if you dont somewhat force them to

some might argue this constitutes that but i believe lazieness breeds complacency and vice versa
>>
>>26737483
i hate when im oline and people are clearly looking at stats, like that ruins it

have a good general grasp on your mons strengths and weaknesses and your opponents and attack, thats it

all the extraneous calculations and numerical percentages just take the fun and spirit not to mention the quick pace right out of it
>>
>>26735047
The tool tip is only updated after encountering the mon and the feature for keeping track of stat boosts and debuffs is something other turn based rpgs have had for years.

If anything Pokemon is finally up to modern standards.
>>
>>26737578
Inexcusable. If you think you're stuck because
1) you haven't found the morphball yet, you're a moron, how can you think "I'm stuck!" when there's a whole area you haven't explored yet?!
2) you can't remember how to use the morphball you're a moron, because you can't get out of the room and back there UNLESS YOU USE THE MORPHBALL
>>
>>26735047
it might be an optional feature
>>
>>26737559
How is it in your way?
>>
this is good. Lots of people, not just kids, routinely forget the match-ups, and Fairy complicated things even more. Arguing that people will no longer mistake your Floges for a grass type is weak. It probably won't warn the opponent about type absorbing abilities your pokemon has.
>>
>2016
>not knowing every typings

i couldnt care less about this feature
>>
>>26735047
This is good design. It's "casualization" that only helps and doesn't hurt.
>>
File: 1431513844918.jpg (62KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1431513844918.jpg
62KB, 800x600px
>>26737611
I dunno, I don't think it's too terrible, it's not an inconvenience for me because I don't struggle with memorizing pokemon's types.

It's lazy, yes, but I don't really give a shit because it's not forcing me to pick that move and nothing else.
>>
i hope to fucking god they take this away in any sort of online battles. This triggers me
>>
>>26735047
I never cry about something in pokemon, really, but this is the first time Im actually mad.
This is the worst shit they have ever done.
must be shit to be a kid these days.
>>
>>26735047
What is this a new meme?

This is absolutely fantastic feature that'll speed up things considerably. Memorizing 800 monster types are HUGE pain in the ass and this is coming from a long time fan of the series. It's easy to know grass beats water but since dualtypes are most of the roster it's even more confusing.

And just for your info, knowing what types are effective on other types doesn't make you experienced player or game hard. This is basic knowledge which most people google either way. Now it gets incorporated into game itself to save our time. Yet people got butthurt. This is nuts.
>>
>>26737805
that's true, though, you bring up a good point

even with this feature, some retard is gonna try and burn a florges with fire moves ahahaha

god i just, i just love how smart people are so as to invent entire societies over several centuries, wage wars with politics and ideologies for dominance and virtue, and fucking brick dumb enough to click the same option in a digital game after repeated failed attempts
>>
>>26737793
It's hurting by making me have to listen to people bitching and whining and FUCKING MOANING OVER FUCKING ALMOST LITERALLY NOTHING
10/10 YES I'M FUCKING MAD
>>
>>26737913
>800 types

wew something tells me you get your pokemon ass kicked a lot, there's like what, 18? if that

that hyperbole tho - u mad
>>
>>26737552

Go and watch the stream, just after the battle with Pikipek
>>
>>26735047
wonder if it will work if the types change with a randomiser oh something
>>
>>26737793
Yeah. For veteran players, it doesn't matter, for new players, it's really helpful, and it won't spoil anything because you need to have already battled the Pokemon to get the tips.
>>
>>26735199
i don't have every type matchup memorized by heart, and also the developers thinking that not knowing the type matchups made the previous games too hard means the rest of the game will also be piss-easy without any challenges whatsoever, even easier then x and y.
>>
>>26737952
are youserious? i missed this one, not the other anon

thats what the main button is for, interacting with objects! WEW LAD, do they want like 3 year olds who use ABC Mouse for reading comp to play this shit
>>
>>26738037
>i don't have every type matchup memorized by heart
Then you're the casual this feature was made for. I hope you're happy with yourself.
>>
>>26737942
This would be valid if we had 18 monsters. But we're at about 800 now so memorizing what type combination what monster has. I can name from the top of my head 200-400 but more? No way.

And you know what? I don't have to! Because that's what google and guides are for. To don't have to memorize all this bullshit.
>>
File: item.png (137KB, 316x192px) Image search: [Google]
item.png
137KB, 316x192px
>>26738050

For the record, it doesn't actually use the word 'Press' but it still pops up regardless.
>>
>>26738070
sure but i mean most of them are obvious upon sight or at least with some creative sight
>>
>>26738059
>He really feels better than someone who don't give a shit about wasting his memory on memorizing stuff he doesn't have to
>underage confirmed
>>
>>26735502
You burn fags bruh
>>
>>26738094
thats a little better but that is like, literal basic game design. if this was like 1989 and the A button was a new concept i might not care but A is THE button for interaction like...do they think there's a new generation of babbies coming into the games or what? I would argue the older fans are the ones who play more long term and passionately anyway
>>
>>26737721
It's really illogical having to crouch twice.
It's like in SMB2 when you get the first mushroom you don't know it's poision

>whole area you haven't explored yet, are you stupid? Please tell me you have actually played SM
>>
>>26738112
Yeah like Azumarill being Water/Fairy. No fucking way I'd guessed second typing without googling that. Same with Gengar being Ghost/Poison. 9/10 monsters are like that.
>>
>>26737730
Because it's visible.
>>
>>26735047
I hope you can turn it off.
>>
>>26735047
Wow people still bitching about having team preview before online battle?
>>
You fucking assholes this isnt an issue at all. Fire emblem also shows you what weapon is good against which.

Unless you actually thought "memorizing the type chart" was a complex feature that made the game "hard" this isnt an issue at all

The only argument id understand is that you dont have to guess types on the appearance anymore and then make your choice and that that ruins the spirit of the original game. But we are in the seventh gen already, the people that now play Pokemon dont need this shit since the franchise is already established for so long
>>
its a terrible system, its supposed to be there for new players who don't know the type chart
but it instead of learning the type chart some other way they will just rely on the game to tell them what the best move is 24/7 and learn shit all about types

its horrendous game design
>>
>>26738271
Team preview in online objectively made competitive pokemon more complex and changed the rules. It's not comparable.
>>
>>26738291
Careful with what you say, fag.
Don't you know memorization and learning is a bad thing here?
>>
>>26738291
But how will they know what moves to put on Pokemon if they don't know anything about the types?
>>
>Feature is there for new players
>It only shows up once you've battled the Pokemon before

>Rotomdex is a feature to help new players find their way around
>You don't get it right away, the bottom screen is literally blank until then

So the logic here is that you get the hand-holding features when you no longer need your hand to be held. Brilliant.
>>
>>26738308
It's because I remember that 9/10 people here were bitching about it by the time 5th gen hits. That it's making battles more casual friendly etc. Same moot points made by underfags.

It's exacly like this. This change will make competitive pokemon more complex and more fluid.
>>
>>26738166
I think the feature is cool, but this kind of argument contradicts with pokemon itself. The gist of it is that you encounter all of these mons that you dont know and you capture them in order to get information about them, including its typing.
So no, no need to google anything because its not supposed to be a guessing game to begin with.
>>
>>26738336
Shit I don't know, if there was some strange concept like "trial and error" which was used to actually teach the kids things and not tie them to a permanent hand-hold system. Or maybe some sort of "pokemon school" which was never implemented in previous games.
But no, I can't think of anything. My mind is totally blank.
>>
>>26738336
by playing the game and learning through that, like literally every other pokemon game
>>
>>26738291
>>26738332
You know nothing of good game design

I couldn't be happier that GF isnt pandering to you virgins

Truly afraid of the casualization boogeyman
>>
>>26738369
>This change will make competitive pokemon more complex and more fluid
Even if it makes it, which I seriously doubt, it will be at the cost of future further casualization, which is what people are bitching for.
Seriously, kids aren't that retarded. At least not the majority of them.
>>
>>26738394
>"no argument so I'm just going to shout random insults" the post
>>
>>26738389
but they still have to do that to figure out the best moves for the best coverage. this only lets you know what moves you already have on it are effective
>>
>>26738394
>literally making the games retard proof right in front of your own damn eyes
>WOW CALM DOWN WITH YOUR BOOGEYMAN NOTHING IS HAPPENING
>>
>>26738370
So now pokedex is incorporated into battle screen. Why is this bad? It's the previous games flaw that you were unable to open dex on battle screen to check typing so you have to memorize type chart.
>>
>>26738394
>You know nothing of good game design

This is good game design: >>26736806
>>
>>26738394
>"You know nothing of good game design"
>says as he defends something that blatantly supports handholding over learning and memorizing
KEK
>>
>>26738418
These changes eliminate the need to spend time outside the game. That's supposed to be bad? You people are shreiking at QoL changes.

I'm surprised you haven't petitioned Nintendo to take out the effectiveness sound effects and messages, such casualization.
>>
File: 1439285314706.png (302KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1439285314706.png
302KB, 600x450px
>>26737411
>>
>>26738453
wow finally someone with brain
>>
anyone watching Brandon plays pokemon?

He is a grown up man and have invested 30+ hours on the game and he hasn't realized the type advantages that exists in the game.
Looking back, the game isn't really good at explaining this sort of things if you are totally unaware of the pokemon universe.
I don't think they are winning anything by hand holding new players this way.
Putting a effectiveness chart somewhere the player could watch it at any given time would have been better in my opinion.
But still, is a children game and this kind of things should really bother you.
>>
>>26738453
I love how you assume everyone has your same memory problems and must constantly look up things on the internet.
This thing called "learning" isn't a boogeyman either. We didn't have internet on the first generations of pokemon, you know, some of us were kids.
>>
>>26735047
>you have to defeat a pokemon first to have that info in subsequent battles
>bound to try most attacks on a new mon anyway
This changes so little, it's amazing /vp/ is having such a fit about it.
>>
>>26738451
>>26738447
>>26738430

Underaged posters thinking unpolished game design is "hardcore"
>>
>>26738491
This still doesn't effect you. Not every aspect of the game will be designed for you alone.
>>
>>26738437
I never said that it was bad, I said it is cool literally first sentence. Also nothing to do with the pokedex since it never said anything about type efectiveness, just the types of pokemon themselves.
The concept of gathering the complete information from a pokemon mid-battle just by sight is anime exclusive, but hey, if it helps bros out there, I'm all for it.
>>
>>26738480
Seriously you have to be mentally ill to think that this is something bad.

When I was watching the stream I was so excited and happy they added those features. I had no fucking idea 90% of /vp will have problem with this.
>>
>>26738502
Retarded kid thinking literally handhold and elimination of trial and error paths for learning is a good game design.
I hope you're baiting and really don't believe that, because holy shit.
>>
>>26737093
check out the fight against Hau, when you battle Pichu there's no information displayed, and then when battling litten the translator guy says something like "at this point, you have actually battled Hau's litten before. in pokemon soon, once you battle a pokemon, the next time you get information on your movelist".
>>
>>26738499
People here moaned about whether or not circle appear under the Pokemon in battle. I guess that doesn't make it less amazing but it does make it less surprising. It only increases the mind numbing anger it causes me to realize the stupid things people will whine about though.
>>
>>26738514
>This still doesn't effect you
Here we go again. The entire thread is filled with the reasons why some are against it even if it doesn't affect them.
>>
>>26738519
Showing what move is effective against certain monster IS actually showing what type they're. So it's a way to incorporate dex into battle screen. This is insanely cool concept.
>>
>>26738522
>90% of /vp will have problem with this
Don't exaggerate, I'm one of the mentally ill you so eloquently referred to, and I think the disagreement is closer to a 50/50 situation.
>>
How? Don't MOST JRPG's do this?
>>
>>26735047
Having to guess wether my pokemon's attack was going to be super effective, not very effective or just normal was part of the fun of battles. I'm saddened about this.
>>
>>26738526
How does this eliminate any of that? It only shows up after your first encounter.

Nothing changes, you could write it down on a piece of paper irl and achieve the same effect
>>
>>26738574
>Showing if a move is effective or not or the stats boost is not easier! Is more convenient! I swear!
>>
>>26738582
It should be something you know after the first time you fight a mon, and they said on stream that you get this info after you see a mon for the first time
>>
>>26738582
It only shows up on subsequent encounters. So it's essentially the same effect. Unless you experience amnesia between battles
>>
>>26738582
>guess game
And I thought playing competitive require brain
>>
>>26738584
So new players and kids don't have to learn it after the first encounter.
Seriously?
>>
>>26735047
No, it's just part of keeping game mechanics transparent. It's something many other games did before, Gamefreak finally learned from it.
>>
>>26738586
yes with water on fire on things like this
but sometimes, with the new one, you don't even know what they are, or have a second type that you didn't thought off
it should appear only when you know the type, so when you caught it or if you already used an effective type on it
>>
>>26738574
in most JRPGS type advantages are completely arbitrary
>>
File: 1459152841623.jpg (18KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1459152841623.jpg
18KB, 250x249px
>>26736863
>>
>>26738607
Yes
>>
>>26738607
Using method of trial and error is retarded because even that doesn't teach you anything. Using water attack on earth monster doesn't tell you that it's also effective on fire.
>>
>>26738617
>you don't even know what they are
That's what is supossed to. You should know what they are or guess it. I bet you couldn't beat any game beofre, or maybe could you?
>>
>>26735047
>Spoonfeeding: the game
>>
>>26738629
So you're confirming that you find the elimination of learning the type matchups fine.
>>
>>26738626
Holds over to Pokemon too. I never counted but I'd guess with 18 types most of which are above and beyond typical elemental stuff there's a good fraction is seemingly arbitrary interactions.
>>
>>26738644
Yes because it teachs better than fucking mongoloid trial and error method from last century.
>>
Honestly yes. Though they should have included the enemy's type since remembering 700+ types is kind of ridiculous
>>
>>26737913
>but memoriing 800 types
That was the only reason to fucking play the games though. To learn something. To be rewarded through knowledge.
Am I missing something here? Why play a game that tells you the solution? Am I just insane or why are all these people here defending this?
>>
>>26738634
This isn't such a hard thing to understand.
Of course ONE trial isn't going to teach everything of the game. But that's what the experience of playing the game is for.
Kids who played gen1 and 2 could figure out the types with no problem.
Hell, even in gen3 and 4 it was common for a lot of people to play with no internet access.
I don't understand how /vp/ has come to find a literal handhold addition "ok".
>>
>>26738678
>it teachs more
Wrong. The kids that grow playing with this feature will have problems if it ever gets removed, because they will have grown accustomed to look for the little "super effective" behind the attack's name.
>>
>>26738502

>Tucking supplementary information out of the way into another, related menu to clean up the interface
>unpolished

Explain the logic?
>>
>>26738690
threy have to be trolling they just have to
>>
>>26738480
>anyone watches an eceleb
>he isn't paying attention to the game because he;'s busy entertaining
false equivalence bud
>>
>>26738690
You play the games to raise your Pokemon and beat the League

the type advantages are just a game mechanic

>>26738696
Literally go on Serebii and you can see that shit

it doesn't matter
>>
The fuck is wrong with you people? Do you think people should be forced to memorize status ailments, stat changes, and weather, too?
>>
>>26738690
You sound like you never play online competitive. I play to chellenge myself against other player. Type advantages has nothing to do with anything. It's like playing chess. Imagine you had to guess how certain figures path like horse or tower. This is just stupid.
>>
>>26737611
this
>>
>>26738729
>"Literally go on Serebii and you can see that shit"
>ignoring completely that the point of that post is that kids didn't need internet to figure out "that shit"
What? What the hell.
You didn't even read that post you quoted, did you?
>>
>>26738729
How is it raising if you aren't learning anything?

>>26738738
>but competitive
No see, competitive is irrelevant, I play things like Melee and Dota.
>>
>>26738704
>oh nooo they'll remove calculators so I have to count on my fingers again!
>>
>>26738644
How does this change do that? It just logs down what you already know

Utter cocksucker
>>
>>26735047
God damn it casuals.
>>
>>26738738
Your analogy is stupid.
>>
>>26738704
I genuinely hope mods will come out that remove this feature, surely I can't be the only one right?
This might be the biggest change in pokemon games they've made in 20 years
>>
>>26738776
>not understanding
>calling others stupid
>>
>>26738763
>Melee and DOTA

PACK IT UP BOYS
>>
>>26738731
>forced
It's a game, if you give away the solution what's the point? Does no one remember what it's like encountering a new pokemon?
>>
>>26738766
It wouldn't surprise me that someone with your memory problems has to use his fingers to do simple math when he can't find a calculator.
Fortunately, not everyone is that retarded.
>>
>>26738791
Calculators are for casuals, math really went downhill in the 20th century
>>
>>26738782
No, it's actually very very stupid.
The movement of the pieces of chess (a basic requisite to be able to even START playing chess) is not comparable to learning the type mechanics on a pokemon game. Very stupid.
>>
File: 1460699088139.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1460699088139.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>26738784
fun games with friends mang, if you have friends...try them out sometime.
>>
>>26738791
Fuck off, faggot. Not everyone knows the quartic roor of pi.
>>
>>26738803
I know this post is ironic, but I actually agree a bit.
I've seen adults having problems to solve simple square roots or even divisions.
>>
>>26738727
The original game isn't good in this regard.
For typing you just had 3 ambiguous letters for each pokemon in their summary which wasn't really helpful if you didn't know anything about pokemon.
I believe most of us were familiar with the anime and we knew that grass was effective against water or fire was weak against ground because we watched it and not by the game themselves.
>>
>>26735047
This changes literally nothing for you and I. It helps streamline the experience without sacrificing anything. So no.

Someone who is mad at this probably gets mad at baby changing booths in public bathrooms
>>
>>26738704
Or kids who don't have the typings will continue to be ignorant and keep using the wrong thing without caring, mostly because the game is easy enough for it to not matter 90% of the time in first place, whereas by having effectiveness marked they can piece together what typings work on others visually rather than comitting to memory. You can spin any of this shit in a positive or negative way. Kids nowadays would never have to do "trial and error". We didn't even have to either. Typing charts came in all instruct booklets and strategy guides back in our day. Nowadays kids can just look it up on the internet. Having it in the game itself cuts out the middle man. They aren't learning anything by googling it or looking it up in their instruction manual either if that's your issue. I can't believe people are legitimately using "Back in my day we learned from our Pokemon types!" Are you being serious right now? There's stil la layer of strategy, the main one, involved in figuring out what type of moves give you the widest coverage between your Pokemon. This function only shows the effectiveness of moves you already have. The player still has to figure out which moves to put on in the first place, which is in fact the actual lynchpin of Pokemon strategy, not simply memorizing what types are effective against each other.
>>
>>26738791
>>26738803
These guys still refuses to use lighter to cast a fire.
>>
>>26738821
>Not everyone knows the quartic roor of pi.
git gud, casul
>>
>>26738763
>Gaylee
>Memelee
>Melame

That explains a lot, actually.
>>
>>26738809
Because you were suppose to know them from? I dunno game doesn't explain. It's like requiring to know how to play chess without explaining the rules and require players to use TRAIL and ERROR method of ovserving other player how they play. This is child logic.
>>
>Popplio confirmed for fairy type
Why is no one talking about this.
>>
>>26738770
How can you think a kid will actually learn the type after the first battle when he will grown used to look that information in every fucking battle.
Do you really think he won't have problems remembering some easy type matchups when (if) that feature gets removed?

Flatulent motherfucker.
>>
>>26738873
Almost the same amount of Pokemon that aren't fairy type or become fairy type learn Disarming Voice as ones who are. Why would making a cute sounding voice be something unique to something that could only become Fairy-type. Is Turtwig evolving into a Dark-type because it Bites things?
>>
>>26738789
Yeah, except anyone can just look on bulbapedia and serebii, anyway.
>>
>>26738882
People have issue remembering type match ups even after years of "trial and error" to figure them out which theoretically would make it easier to remember so that doesn't work.
>>
The funny thing is that truly competitive players would appreciate this change. It's the underage (or worse, of age) that think they're more hardcore because they learned hidden mechanics by reading a nerd forum on the internet.

Transparency of mechanics INCREASES competition. Unless you're afraid to find out you really aren't that skilled...?

Hopefully they do something like this for IVs too.
>>
>>26738870
>Hello there, champ in the making! The leader of this gym uses electric pokemon! Your electric pokemon will not be able to damage them, but rumor has it that they suffer when facing water attacks!
Game explains, people doesnt even bother
>>
Just turn it off.
>>
>>26738913
Truly competitive players have memorized the entire type chart 10 years ago.
The stat boosts finally being shown in-game is a great change, though.
>>
>>26738882
You're right let's go even further to make this the most hardcore Pokemon game yet. From now on, you don't get to see what type your Pokemon is. Only through trial and error will you be able to deduce that.

Suggest more changes for a highly skilled Pokemon experience.
>>
>>26738916
meant ground gym not electric wtf
>>
>>26738913
Typings were hardly hidden to begin with.
>>
>>26738586
I don't think I ever said that, I just said I think most JRPG's do this. Because you know, it does make the game easier and further casualize it.

Why is everyone on /vp/ such a projecting faggot?
>>
>>26738789
I do, and there was never any "excitement" involved in trying to figure out what moves are effective, especially since 90% of battles are with trainers using a Pokemon with a specific type already spelled out to you in a gym or using the same stock Pokemon of the surrounding area. It was interesting to see a new type of Pokemon that you'd want to CATCH but you still don't know the typings, just the match ups of the moves you currently have learned, and it's not related to crying about how kids these days will never learn the type chart.
>>
>>26738827
>that regard
In what regard? I'm not answering your strawman but it really seems like you're talking to yourself. Reconsider reading my reply
>>
File: hitler playin gayms.jpg (49KB, 835x773px) Image search: [Google]
hitler playin gayms.jpg
49KB, 835x773px
>>26735047 mfw we discover the trainer school becomes %100 useless even for new players and might not even be implemented into the games
>>
>>26738833
I agree that our surroundings and culture nowadays facilitate things for the kids and avoid the path of actual learning (which is producing tons of kids with ADD nowadays).
But that doesn't make it "good" or acceptable.
I don't understand how you can think that "rather than committing to memory" sounds good for something so simply and easy to learn as type matchups.
You can spin it any way you want, but it doesn't stop from being obvious handholding.

Also
>mostly because the game is easy enough for it no matter 90% of the time in first place
So that means it's fine to make it even easier? Even if we reach retarded levels of easiness?
>>
>>26738928
That's not what I mean. I mean they should be happy that this change can make it easier to get into Pokemon and increase competition.
>>
File: 130845198898.jpg (8KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
130845198898.jpg
8KB, 200x150px
>>26738731

Do you understand why a videogame is challenging? I mean, the very purpose of why videogames don't just lay it all down for you?

Let me give you an example. You know in the original Super Mario Bros you have those pointless holes in the ground? You know the ones I mean, not the big ones that actually pose a threat to your playing, but the really small ones - tiny fucking holes that only an idiot could find themselves falling down.

It's all about the risk/reward system that your brain enjoys. Those holes aren't actually there to pose a threat to you, they're there to give you a sense of accomplishment in that small area. Your brain is instinctively satisfied when it clears the easy obstacles which gives you the confidence to take on the bigger ones - this is all happening in your subconscious in the split second it takes you to jump across that ledge like it's nothing.

Once the confidence has been built, your brain really gets its rush of endorphins as you take on the legitimately challenging hole.

Go play Mario Maker and build a level where there is nothing but big challenges with none of the small ones inbetween - it will quickly get boring, yet you could argue that taking these challenges away is more convenient because it means you only have to focus on one thing.

Convenience isn't always a good thing, every time you gamble on your brain choosing the right move to get a super effective hit, even if it's water gun on a fire type, is a reward for your brain and that's what makes you say "I enjoy video games" those moments.
>>
>>26738894
That's their choice.

>>26738940
>I never was excited learning about new pokemon
At this point I start to wonder if people really just want to force themselves into a contradictory position to refrain from admitting their mistakes
>>
>>26738913
this guy get it.
>>
>>26738956
IT DOESN'T MAKE THE GAME EASIER

IT REDUCES THE COMPLEXITY

T. UNDERAGE SELF-PROFESSED "COMPETITIVE" POKEMON PLAYER
>>
>>26738870
>I dunno game doesn't explain
In the old days kids used to talk to NPCs and enter houses in the towns, specially when those houses were called "Pokemon School".
I guess kids nowadays just want to steamroll the game, just as GF said in that interview, they're used to fast mobile games.
>>
File: 1377694993481.jpg (103KB, 907x718px) Image search: [Google]
1377694993481.jpg
103KB, 907x718px
>>26735047
>that move list
sounds like last night with your mom
>>
>>26738963
>>I never was excited learning about new pokemon
>At this point I start to wonder if people really just want to force themselves into a contradictory position to refrain from admitting their mistakes
That's a classic straw man if I've ever seen one. It doesn't even have anything to do with my post. Nothing I said could even be interpreted that way without some mental gymnastics. Maybe you should actually argue about my post and not what you want my post to be so you can make it easier to make yourself look right.
>>
Super Mystery Dungeon has this shit and that game is way harder than XY/ORAS.
>>
>>26738934
Nice hyperbole, dude.
>>
>>26738188
That's ridiculous. What is it in the way of?
>>
>>26738977
Trainer school only taught about status effects, Einstein.
>>
>>26739001
That's a stupid hyperbole to use XD
>>
>>26738990
>literally quoting you
>strawman
Cute.

>>26739013
It's getting in the way due to it being visible.
Capiche?
>>
>>26739013
His autism not going off.
>>
>>26738956
NOBODY (not literally but virtually) went into pokemon and had absolutely no idea what types mattered at any point in the game and actually had it affect their difficulty and I explained exactly why that would be the case right in that post.
>>
>>26738956
>sounds good for something so simply and easy to learn as type matchups
I've been playing these games for 15 years and I still don't remember all the resistances.
>>
>>26738940
>especially since 90% of battles are with trainers using a Pokemon with a specific type already spelled out to you in a gym or using the same stock Pokemon of the surrounding area
So the game gives you ways to actually learning the types matchups, where you decided to ignore them or not doesn't change that fact.
This wasn't a necessary feature, specially not one that creates a permanent handhold for the new players.
>>
Why exactly is this a bad thing? The game is simply more accessible to babby's. I'm sorry if you want pokemon to be some hardcore franchise that only caters to the long time fans but believe it or not, that's not going to happen. And that's a good thing. Pokemon can work for everyone in this way.
>it's never not worked before
bs. A lot of new players young and old can find stuff like this quite confusing. As a young child I would basically just mash A in fights because I didn't get the significance of anything. Now newcomers will be more encouraged to become more engaged in the battle system. Nintendo is generally quite a force for positivity so I don't get why people moan when they add stuff like this.
The only time hand holding is bad is when it really does effect experienced players, e.g making end game battles too easy. But there's nothing wrong with creating a more convenient interface. I myself sometimes get a little confused when it comes to effectiveness, y'know, on stuff like psychic and dark. I still don't fully know the effective types against fairy and what it's effective against.
This is a fine change.
>>
File: Angry_pepe.jpg (39KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_pepe.jpg
39KB, 900x900px
NORMIES GET OUT OF MY GAME!
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>26739037
>>I never was excited learning about new pokemon
Was not in my post. In fact I think I said the opposite right in the middle there. But you're probably too stupid to read that far. I thought back in our day we had to learn or stuff so we WOULDN'T have ADD, but it appears that it didn't help at all for you.
>>
File: Never again.jpg (34KB, 306x408px) Image search: [Google]
Never again.jpg
34KB, 306x408px
>>26735047
I already know everything about types, so I really don't give a shit.
>>
File: 1364633205115.png (26KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1364633205115.png
26KB, 320x287px
>>26735261
>WITHOUT getting in the way for people who have been doing this shit for 20 years.

>try to play game blind
>meet new Pokémon
>don't know it's type
>kill it with a Normal-type move
>"Oh hey, just so you know that was a Poison/Fairy or whatever and now you can't figure out what its type was naturally because we'll just tell you what it is every time from now on"

It does get in my way, it removes part of the adventure. Now playing blind will let you know as much about a new Pokémon as you would reading a walkthrough before playing the game.

Would you have guessed Pupple is a Rock-type? If you hit it with a neutral type like Electric the first time it appeared, you lost your chance to find out on your own.
>>
>>26736803
They already confirmed that it only shows effectiveness against mons you've already fought once before
>>
>>26739018
And NPCs like the helper in the gym taught about type effectiveness and other shit, Newton.
>>
>>26739099
>I said the opposite
Hence why I used the word contradiction shitlord
>>
>>26739065
This feature doesn't "handhold" you in any way that it actually matters and detracts from anything. I've explain why the type match ups matter and how this feature doesn't obstruct that.
>>
>>26735047
useful for retards like me who forget fairy type moves's strengths/weaknesses
>>
>>26739023
What the fuck. Am I just talking to underage kids here?
>>
File: 1435162358437.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1435162358437.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>26739107
Don't worry anon, this is exactly how I felt during gen 6. It's part of growing up and seeing a younger audience take your place in defending a billion dollar corporation whatever it takes by resorting to childish fallacies. It's okay anon, mods will make the game playable just like they did with gen 6.
>>
>>26739110
No, you said a contradictory position, as in the one opposite to your position. You also said you literally quoted my post which you clearly didn't.
>>
>>26738957
>easier to get into Pokemon
>increase competition
Anyone who only gets into it right now would be a scrublord for a long while.
>>
>>26739152
Contradictory position to your own.
If you want to argue semantics that's fine, but don't jump to conclusions
>>
>>26739107
But it doesn't tell you its type, it tells you what moves are effective against it.
>>
>>26738139
>do they think there's a new generation of babbies coming into the games
... yes?
Who do you think these games are made for? I work at Wal-mart, care to hear how many grade school kids (boys and girls in near equal numbers) I see wearing Pokemon shirts every day?
>>
>>26738960
Memorizing countless weaknesses/strengths/abilities and other variables of the sort isn't the same as the sense of accomplishment gained from jumping over a small pitfall. One is nearly effortless, the other is a constant tedium.
>>
>>26739057
Not everyone (literally) had guides, instruct booklets or internet back then.
And again, a permanent "press this for SE" is not the same as looking up on the internet a type matchup you don't know from time to time and slowly memorizing things.
>>
I actually really like this for new games.
I try to go in to each gen fresh without getting spoiled on a ton of new pokemon, so getting a little tip about the new ones types is a neat little feature.
>>
>>26739167
>Get strawman pointed out
>Go BUT YOU LITERALLY SAID THAT I QUOTED YOU
>Get told that's wrong
>WELL THAT'S JUST SEMANTICS
Yeah ok
>>
>>26739127
>This feature doesn't "handhold" you
Not me, god dammit.
It's the new players who will be handholded.
>detracts you from anything
Where did I say that it would detract me from something?
>>
>>26739107
>>don't know it's type
If you can't guess the type of a pokemon at first glance then you might have brain problems.

>It does get in my way, it removes part of the adventure
If finding out the type of a shitty early route rodent ruins your experience then I don't know what to tell you, may you should just kill yourself or something.
>>
>>26739188
You literally talk like learning all this things is a chore, like you actually have to spend literal hours studying your charts instead of learning by playing the game.
Just sayin'
>>
>>26739190
"Press this for SE" isn't the same as "knowing that Water beats Fire by looking it up". Someone who presses Water Gun to beat Litten with Popplio isn't going to know Water beats Fire, they're going to know that Water Gun beats Litten. They still have to figure out Water beats Fire. The game wil lrelay the same information with Water Gun on Iwanko.
>>26739214
I didn't mean literally you you idiot
>>
>>26739188
Not him, but regarding the types, you just have to memorize 18 matchups, most of them being logical. For double typing you just need to apply the most basic of logics.
>>
>>26739240
>>26739232
>THIS FEATURE IS CASUALIZING
>People shouldn't have to do this thing
>GOSH IT'S NOT THAT HARD WHAT ARE THEY CASUALS?
>>
>>26739239
>I didn't mean literally you you idiot
I'm sorry for misunderstanding you then.
But I still hold onto my points. People already have a hard time memorizing some of the resistances, kids will have to put less effort with this feature, and while sometimes "quality of life" is ok, there is a limit for everything.
>>
>>26738094
How to make this not terrible: it only pops up when you've been standing in front of the ball for a couple of seconds
>>
>>26739215

>guess the type of a pokemon at first glance
>That dog thats a rock type
>Empoleon
>Lucario
>Fletchinder is Fire-type; Fletchling isnt.
>>
>>26739134
Nah; seriously though, that hyperbole was terrible for a comparison.
>>
I find the massive irony in this is thatp eople are using the defense that having this feature is demeaning and making people not have to think, then assume that those people are going to forget every interaction between moves and the types of Pokemon they battle if it were taken away and then they'd be stuck floundering like idiots. They can't simultaneously be smart enough to not need it and then be dumb without it. If you're assuming they're smart enough to learn how the types interact with eachother by randomly playing the game, why would knowing that Disarming Voice is NVE on Litten ruin that? They'd still learn that Fairy beats Fire in the same way, since these labels don't tell you what types interact.
>>
>>26739232
Been playing since Yellow and I can confirm that simply "playing the game" isn't enough to memorize all the little things that keep popping up each generation. Bear in mind we've had a bunch of different types, abilities, and combinations since then. Anyone with responsibilities outside of video games doesn't have time for that.

Some people don't care for devoting large portions of their time to learn and relearn what move they should use on a dual-type pokemon they've never encountered before under all-new circumstances. This feature is for those people, it's not for you.
>>
>>26739239
>Someone who presses Water Gun to beat Litten with Popplio isn't going to know Water beats Fire, they're going to know that Water Gun beats Litten. They still have to figure out Water beats Fire
Then: let - them - figure - it - out
That's all I'm saying.
If, as you said, that feature doesn't let them figure out that Water beats Fire, but instead just tells them, it's literally the definition of handholding.
Hell, if anything that feature will keep them believing that Water beats Litten and make it harder for them to learn how types work in pokemon games.
>>
>>26739107
It only tells you what moves are effective THE SECOND TIME you encounter a Pokemon. I swear none of you faggots realise this.
>>
File: pupple.jpg (14KB, 200x240px) Image search: [Google]
pupple.jpg
14KB, 200x240px
>>26739215
>If you can't guess the type of a pokemon at first glance then you might have brain problems

Does this look like a rock to you?

>>26739173
The main reason you would want to know an enemy's type is to know what moves you should use against it.
>>
>>26739239
>Someone who presses Water Gun to beat Litten with Popplio isn't going to know Water beats Fire, they're going to know that Water Gun beats Litten. They still have to figure out Water beats Fire

Are you fucking for real? Anyone that knows firefighters knows that water beats fire. I know you want to seem like some enlightened hotshot surrounded by idiots, but you sound like a fucking condescending faggotron.
>>
>>26738934
>you don't get to see what type your Pokemon is. Only through trial and error will you be able to deduce that.
Would be pretty cool, actually.
Wouldnt make sense, a Pokedex should have all of the information on any pokemon you captured, though. But for wild shit? You dont get the data for a 'mon if you just knocked it the fuck out; even if you caught it's prevo but never evolved it, and then run into the evolution and then knock it the fuck out.

Hell, I caught a Wiscash in Emerald and then later ran into Barboach. The names have nothing in common; I had no idea the two were related in any way and assumed Barboach was Water/Electric or just Water.
>>
>>26739318
>It only tells you what moves are effective THE SECOND TIME you encounter a Pokemon.

Reread my post, I mentioned that.
>>
>>26739285
Agreed.
>>
>>26739320

The advice only appears after you fight a Pokemon for the first time, kiddo.
>>
>>26739317
But they DO have to figure it out. Just becuase the game SAYS it's super effective doesn't tell them that Water beats Fire, especially when the same message shows when you face an Iwanko. People still have to figure out the REASON it's super effective on what are two different types of Pokemon is that water beats both rock and fire. And tha'ts a simple example, not including type combos.
>>
>>26739240
Just fuck off, it is literally a feature that effects nothing. This is just another round of there was nothing tangible to bitch about so you have to force something into being an issue just so you can fucking complain.
>>
>>26735047
No. Next.
>>
>>26739263
Well, yeah. If it's not that hard there's no reason to introduce a feature that makes it even easier than already is. That is (or at least used to be) one of the indicators of casualization.
Did you get dizzy or something?
>>
>>26739287
The dog has rocks on its neck.
Empoleon is clearly water.
Lucario is clearly fighting.
Fletchinder is clearly flying.
Some of the secondary typings might be somewhat abstract but you can easily recognize most of the primaries.
>>
>>26735047
Everyone has free access to type effectiveness charts online. This is just them taking a step out of the process.
>>
>>26739327
But if people KNOW THAT ALREADY, how the fuck is having the game relay information that should be obvious to anyone with a brain detractign from the experience? That's the entire point of the god damn post. Maybe try using YOUR brain instead of totally missing the point and devolving into an insult on someone's character.
>>
>>26739215
>you can't guess the type of a pokemon at first glance then you might have brain problems.

>see tree
>try to burn it
>DOESN'T WURK, LOL
>>
File: chrome_2016-06-14_16-55-00.png (662KB, 854x825px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-06-14_16-55-00.png
662KB, 854x825px
>>26739240
Actually, you need to know how each type affects each other type, so it'd be more like 18 x 18. For the mathematically challenged, that's 324 unique situations to learn. And that's not even counting dual-type matchups.

Have you never seen the grids, anon? Do you not see how this is fucking tedious?
>>
>>26739190
Instructions booklets came with the game. Everyone were MEANT to have them.
>>
>>26739347
The difference is that while they still have to figure it out for themselves, they won't need it anymore.
>>
>>26739395
Uh... what?
>>
>>26739378
>A Pokémon which whole concept is deceiving
>Complaining that it rused players

Nice.
>>
File: empoleon.png (6KB, 498x95px) Image search: [Google]
empoleon.png
6KB, 498x95px
>>26739359
>Empoleon is clearly water.
>Lucario is clearly fighting.
And do either of these guys have a design that screams "DONT USE POISON."

>empoleon is clearly water
Great, so dont use any fire attacks on it. Use Grass instead.

Also, look at Pyroar and tell me its weak to Fighting. It seems reasonable enough, but its clearly Fire.
>Normal/fire
>putting a second type on a Normal-type

no. You CANT just look at 100% or even 90% of Pokemon and tell exactly what type it is. Some are confusing by way of poor design, some have dual-typings that dont make sense and the design doesnt fully explain it. Others are deliberately confusing, like Sudowoodo (but they explicitly tell you, IN GENERATION II BY THE WAY, NOT JUST REMAKES, that Sudowoodo hates water.)
>>
>>26739385
>normal vs fighting
>w

???
>>
>>26739425
google images lol
>>
>>26739413
Dayum, son. Look at dem goalposts go!
>>
>>26739351
I'd almost rather bitching about the new pokemon designs. I really do. Because this thread is absolutely pathetic. At least Pokemon designs matter slightly more than this. I think it's even worse that people are legitimately trying to act like this is going to stunt the development of children or some stupid self righteous bullshit they use to justify complaining over nothing. They have enough faith in kids to say they don't need this kind of thing, but think they'd be blank idiots if they had it then had it taken away. You can't fucking have it both ways. It's fucking infuriating.
>>
>>26739413
He's not complaining that it rused players, he's using it as an example that not every Pokémon's type is instantly identifiable.

>>26739344
Reread my post, I mentioned that. You could hit a Pokémon with a Normal-type move, which is neutral against every type of Pokémon except Rock and Ghost, and then suddenly it tells you the type every battle onward.
>>
>>26739351
>have to force something into being an issue just so you can fucking complain
Just go fuck yourself, you don't get to tell me when I'm serious and when I'm not about what I'm arguing about.
The fact that you use the already discussed "doesn't effect you at all" point shows that you just entered this thread and read the last posts so you can meet your shitposting quota.
Get run over by a fruit truck, cocksucker.
>>
>>26735268
Have you never heard of the concept of playing a game blind?
>>
>>26739385
Even if I don't explained myself well, that is obviously what I was saying. And the majority are still logic and easy to remember. It isn't tedious.
>>
File: qa.jpg (71KB, 823x675px) Image search: [Google]
qa.jpg
71KB, 823x675px
>>26739470
>>
>>26739417
>And do either of these guys have a design that screams "DONT USE POISON."
Oh fuck off, nobody uses poison-type attacks.
>>
>>26739461
But the whole point of Sudowoodo in GSC was that it looked like one thing but was intentionally something else. The illusion is ruined by having multiple encounters with it. That's one reason why it was a one-off thing. With this new feature that would still be the case as long as you don't find a bunch of sudowoodo in the wild. And you STILL don't know why Fire isnt effective on the tree even with this feature. You still have to figure out what type it is.
>>
>>26739509
Is that you?
>>
>>26739511
That wasn't really his point.
>>
>>26739509
>>26739351
>>
>>26739527
It was an unrealistic situation though.
>>
>>26735047
>people in this board play on simulators constantly
>showdown, the most popular one gives you every single detail you could possibly know in the screen itself

Are people in this board fucking falseflagging?
>>
>>26739461
>>26739378
The game very nearly literally tells you its weak to water
>>
>>26739517
>And you STILL don't know why Fire isnt effective on the tree even with this feature.

But you do know what moves are effective on it. If you switch to a Pokémon with a Fighting-type move (or if Litten already turns out to be Fire/Fighting) you'll instantly be able to pin it down to being a Rock-type.

>>26739554
What does an NPC telling you about it have to do with the UI itself telling you about it?
>>
File: 1465938206056.jpg (90KB, 823x675px) Image search: [Google]
1465938206056.jpg
90KB, 823x675px
>>
>>26739564
>But you do know what moves are effective on it. If you switch to a Pokémon with a Fighting-type move (or if Litten already turns out to be Fire/Fighting) you'll instantly be able to pin it down to being a Rock-type.
So what you mean to say is, they had to do something extra to figure out what its type was exactly, and may still not know what its exact type was at the end if they weren't totally aware of all the type chart interactions, meaning even with this feature you still have to figure out what the types are?
>>
>>26739501
I did the math for situations including both fighting against single-type pokemon and dual type pokemon.

18 x 18 = 324 (vs. single type)
18 x 2 = 36 (Amount of dual-type combinations)
36 x 18 [moves can only be single-type] = 648 (vs. dual-type)

324 + 648 = 972 unique type matchups you can encounter in battles.

Nobody has time to memorize 972 different type matchups.
>>
>>26739406
I meant that they won't be as forced to learn it since they have a feature that constantly tells the new kids what moves to use (instead of punctually looking up for info when they're doubting something).
Which ends with them having a worse memory of type matchups than even we have.
Which, again, it's why I'm calling it "casualizing": while it's a comfier feature, I don't think it's that good.
>>
>>26739564
>What does an NPC telling you about it have to do with the UI itself telling you about it?
Oh, I get it. It's okay if the game tells you, but not if the game tells you. I understand.
>>
>>26739596
But you DON'T have to figure out what its types are. You just have to know what it's weak against.

Does it matter if it's Rock, Ground, or Fire as long as you have a Water-type and know it's weak to water?
>>
>>26739417
Empoleon has sharp fins and a body full of jagged angles. That alone should tip you off that it's Steel.
Lucario has spikes I guess but honestly I would guess Ground before Steel because every early Lucario has Bone Rush. You wouldn't use Poison on Ground anyway.
>>
>>26739470
>getting this assblasted

You are LITERALLY getting pissed off over nothing, a non feature, yet I'm the shitposting cocksucker.
>>
>>26739523
Ask google.
>>
>>26739602
C'mon anon. Don't do this shit now. You know very well what I meant.
And:
>dual types
>>26739240
>For double typing you just need to apply the most basic of logics
It's literally multiplying 2 or 0.5 together. God dammit.
>>
>>26739523
Why dont you google it like the type chart everyone should
>>
This only confirms that the games will be as easy as XY/ORAS or easier
>>
>>26739198
Now you're strawmanning again
>>
>>26739631
I don't play Pokemon to do math, anon.
>>
>>26739608
There is a difference between talking to an NPC and them giving you a hint, and going into the battle, getting ready to select a move, and the game telling you point blank what move to use.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. There's also an NPC in Goldenrod that offers you a Fighting-type for trade to help with Whitney; to give a modern day analogy, this would be like walking into Goldenrod Gym, getting read to fight Whitney, and Korrina bursting through the doors saying "hey, take my Lucario, you're going to need it!" and then giving you a Lucario.
>>
File: 1404907289206.gif (3MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
1404907289206.gif
3MB, 290x189px
>>26739617
Explain why did you make this post >>26739351 over "nothing, a non feature".
You literally got anal burned over something you don't care about.
>>
>>26739215
If you can glance it by first type why are you defending this unnceseray (your words) addition?
>>
>>26739650
It's simple as shit math, why are you retarded?
>>
My wife's son likes it, so I don't have anything against it.
>>
>>26739385
>Do you not see how this is fucking tedious?

Did you actually find it tedious as a kid?
>>
>>26739620
>>26739636
It says it is you. You're handsome, anon.
>>
>>26739604
You can't assume kids don't need a handholding tool and then say if they have a handholding tool taken away from them that they'll never learn anything. And despite that you still have to learn as a player how types interact amongst each other outside of the moves you already have learned to figure out the best movesets. That's not something the game does for you, and that's actually the important part of learning type match ups, not for the sake of it.
>>
File: kill me lol.jpg (60KB, 527x527px) Image search: [Google]
kill me lol.jpg
60KB, 527x527px
well this is fun
>>
>>26739613
Yes. If you think the game is literally nothing but know what types beat other types than I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>26739688
th-thanks
>>
>>26739650
> 2 x 2 = 4
>0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25
>half of 2 = 1
>only three possible results since x1 is just the same
>"I don't play Pokemon to do math, anon"
You know what? Forget it. Perhaps GF was thinking in people like you when they made this feature, in which case, I can understand them.
>>
>>26739707
>If you think the game is literally nothing but know what types beat other types

Are you implying you need more than that to beat the in-game story? Maybe if they made the games harder to the point that not knowing the type chart will lose you a battle it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I guarantee you these games will have an even more pathetic difficulty curve than XY.
>>
File: 1386783453428.jpg (40KB, 350x468px) Image search: [Google]
1386783453428.jpg
40KB, 350x468px
>>26739668
>My wife's son likes it
C'mon now.
>>
>>26739385
you don't have to learn the normal effectiveness ones
>>
>>26739316
I know its for experienced players and I actually like the feature.
It all comes down to the interest you put while playing, not the time invested. My mom couldnt figure how to use her iPad when I got her one. I teached her how to navigate the internet and the next week she told me she had created an email account but didnt know how to write and send mails, I told her once again and now she uses it like its a no-brainer. My brother on the other hand has all kinds of issues with computers and always asks me for help. I always do help him, but I also tell him to try to remember so he can do the same the next time. 5 years later he has the same problems and keeps calling me/others for help.
tl;dr time is a factor, sure, and I know most people cant afford blowing all their time on videogames (I wish I could) but willingness to learn makes all the difference
>>
>>26739687
Yeah. As a 7-year old kid, I basically used my overleveled Yellow pikachu to sweep everything. Type matchups didn't matter to me until Ruby/Sapphire.
>>
>>26739745
The story was never hard. And if you want to use that logic, almost every important battles has someone telling you what beats what. At least you actually have to have an effective move and have the pokemon out to know this. Other games would tell you to go out and catch a water or grass type beforehand if you want to use that angle.
>>
>>26739689
>then say if they have a handholding tool taken away from them that they'll never learn anything
Because they will get USED, accustomed to relying in that handholding tool. I've saying that all the time.
And while you will disagree with me, I don't think getting kids used to handholding tools is good for them or for the games.
And I'm not positive as you either that they will still "need" to learn type matchups. They will learn some of the most basic ones like fire-grass-water, alright, but with pokemon games being as easy as they're today, again I'm not as positive about the whole thing as you are.
>>
>>26739820
What exactly is at stake here?

I don't think making battle mechanics in a Pokemon game simpler will adversely affect the intelligence of the next generation.
>>
>>26739838
it has already begun...
>>
>>26739780
>The story was never hard.

But now it's even easier. Which is what people are complaining about.

Like, look at Kirby, Kirby is an easy game, but you can still enjoy it as an older fan. Imagine if they just made the games easier and easier though, until you had no chance of failure actually Epic Yarn did that but it also added that gem collection thing as a personal challenge so I think an older fan can get enjoyment even out of that, would you still have fun?
>>
>>26739853
Care to expand on that?
>>
>>26739838
Kids whined about Mt.Coronet being too hard, and GF said in an interview they would make the next games easier.
The number of mons the gym leaders have keep going down. And we got some of things in XY and ORAS that everyone here categorized of handholding.

You keep making things extremely easy for the new generations of players, and when they encounter something barely hard they make a big fuss, next thing you know is that developers have started to dumb down their games because they just want to sell more (I can't blame them for that).

This has been happening in the industry for decades. Kids today have huge problems with old games that were completed by the children of their time.
You can't deny the trend in today's games of adding shit like "press this button to jump", "go to x place marked on your map instead of listening to what the NPCs say", "push this block to complete the puzzle", etc.
People think the Dark Souls games are hard, for fuck's sake!

Yet everyone here keeps yelling "muh slippery slope fallacy" and "you're mad lulz".
I would never have expected /vp/ of all places to accept a handholding feature so eagerly.... I'm feeling really sad tonight.
>>
>>26739838
>I don't think making battle mechanics in a Pokemon game simpler will adversely affect the intelligence of the next generation.

It's been mentioned in other threads, but did you see some of the Miiverse posts kids made for the RBY VC release? Kids who only used Pikachu in Yellow got stuck against Brock and couldn't figure out to catch other Pokémon, or getting completely stuck when given a route gate that required doing something else first like needing Cut to get to Lt. Surge or needing to go to Celadon to get the Silph Scope for Lavender.

I like to think that a lot of those kids figured it out on their own after making those posts, but I'm sure some of them instantly gave up and either ragequit or started using a walkthrough for everything.
>>
>>26739992
There are LITERALLY underage kids on this board whose first games were XY, anon.
>>
>>26739992
>Kids today have huge problems with old games that were completed by the children of their time.
Pure fucking bullshit, I still can't beat Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>26740018
I would like to think you're exaggerating, but then I remember that we discovered confirmed cases of prepubescents posting in the past.
>>
>>26740072
>I still can't beat Super Mario Bros
Then just imagine how hard is for the new kids.
I've seen lots of children repeatedly running into the first goomba of the first map and dying over and over.
They didn't even tried the other buttons to see what they did simply because the game didn't tell them they had to press B to jump over it.
Cute, but also scary in a way.
>>
>>26736488
using a cacturne

>super kek
>>
>>26740072
>I still can't beat Super Mario Bros.

Stop shitposting and go beat it, your opinion on the difficulty of a game is invalid if you can't beat a 2D Mario game.
>>
>>26740155

You have to remember, a lot of kids have never played platformers.

I have a friend who plays nothing but RTS games, he is in his mid 20s and has never touched any other type of videogame, compared to me who was raised on Mario.

It was the weirdest thing ever to watch him just walk into a pit and not understand why this was bad. The classic platformer concept of 'jump over the hole' was foreign to him; a hole is a way to somewhere, therefore you should be able to go down it - that was his logic.

tl;dr - it's not stupidity, it's what games you've been brought up with.
>>
>>26740155
I remember doing exactly this as a kid

Now I can make it to world three in Mario Bros 3 :^)
>>
>>26741379
>You have to remember, a lot of kids have never played platformers.
That's... a really good point.
And I just remembered the platformer genre practically died with the PS2. Why, why did this had to happen.
>>
File: 1315798251684.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1315798251684.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
I just wish there was an option to turn it off.

I don't mind anyone else having it, I just don't want it.

Maybe it sounds masochistic but I kind of like it when I'm in the heat of the battle and accidentally mess up by getting a type advantage wrong. I've played Pokemon for so long that any kind of setback is entertaining, it's rare I get one of those "Oh shit, I might be in trouble" moments.

The difficulty of main series games is already going down, this is just going to make the whole thing even easier. I like having to struggle, being beaten and then going back after grinding and showing a gym leader who's boss. Now I just breeze through the games and it makes it so hard to immerse myself. I don't feel any threat from the evil team, I don't feel any attachment to my Pokemon because I've not really faced any hardships with them.

I don't even use competitive teams or moves, I just use Pokemon I think are cool with moves that have good names/animations and it's still too easy.

Just give us some kind of difficulty setting where we can turn off the Rotomdex's map markers, turn off trainer battle warnings, turn off the 'Press A to pick up the item' prompts. That's all I want.
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.