[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Gen 2/3 shiny stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: miss.gif (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
miss.gif
60KB, 500x500px
Hello, /vp/

I am fascinated with shiny stories from older gens. It makes me feel a little more confident when I walk around hoping for a shine that isnt Gyarados, plus I love hearing your stories. Sometimes I walk around Mt.Silver hoping for this beauty, but id be lucky if I found a shiny Golbat.

Anywho, what im asking for are Gen 2/3 shiny stories. That's where the most magnificence is in regards to the chances as there was nothing aside from glitches, odd egg, and gyarados that had a high chance of being shiny. Just plain dumb luck.

Ive never found anything shiny in gen 2, but gen 3 I remember seeing an electrike with an odd color. A little bluer then usual is what I remember, but I dont remember catching it.

You?
>>
I found a shiny entei, never caught it though
>>
I found a shiny gyrados once
>>
>>26596209
fuck off
>>
>tfw found a shiny Hoppip in one of the first routes before receiving the pokéballs
>>
>fishing for shellder in silver
>10 minutes fishing
>shiny lanturn appears
>omg.jpg
>succesfully catch it
>mfw couldn't catch shellder
>>
When i was in fifth grade i found a shiny zubat, i was walking in the streets with my friends and it was night so i didn't notice the weird color, but i did notice the shine thing, thought it was some weird shit cuz it was the japanese version so i killed it.

I recently found out about Shinies about 3 or 2 years ago.
>>
>>26596181
I wonder if anyone's ever found a legit shiny entei/raikou in GSC. can't soft reset for those until you want to replay the whole game
>>
>>26596362
I just said I did...
>>
>>26596347
gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8th/8th grade
>>
File: Juni.png (84KB, 264x232px) Image search: [Google]
Juni.png
84KB, 264x232px
You realize that the Shiny Odds were the same from Gen 2-5, right?

Only in B2/W2 could you manipulate it, with the Shiny Charm, obtained only when you beat the Dex.

So why on earth would you make this thread Gen 2/3 specifically? There's nothing in D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W that would make Shinies rarer or harder to obtain.

Only in Gen 6 was there a huge push from the developers to help Shiny Hunters. And even then, non-shiny hunting odds were still fairly high. Not as rare as Gens 1-5, but still rare enough that most players will still never find one.

So...
>>
Ran into a shiny Donphan in Mt. Silver on Silver version. Had no idea what shiny Pokemon were. Only had my Meganium on me at the time, thought it was a fire type so I ran.

Have never ran into another shiny Pokemon.
>>
This isn't an amazing story or anything, but the first shiny I ever found (aside from Gyarados in gen II) was a Smeargle when I was grinding in the Artisan Cave in Emerald during a ride to my grandmother's house.
Back then I didn't even know what a shiny Pokemon was, so I think I accidentally killed the first Smeargle I found. I kept looking for another one though because I figured it was some sort of event I didn't know about. Eventually I found a second one and caught it. I never used it, but I still have it with me in Alpha Sapphire.
>>
>>26596404
apparently so he could cuss at people who got gyarados
>>
>>26596050
>Be me, replaying Crystal after getting back into Pokemon
>Not caring about stats, just using Pokemon I like because anyone with half a brain can overcome the game's challenges easy enough
>Get to Cianwood, ready to just steamroll and go back to getting Jasmine to go back to the gym
>Team is Quilava, Sandslash, Eevee (To become an Espeon), Jolteon, Lapras
>Reach Chuck
>Poliwrath lands every DynamicPunch, knocking out Eevee, Lapras, and Jolteon
>Surf KOs Quilava and Sandslash
>I realize I wasn't paying attention and somehow ended up with a team that is precisely weak to the damn punchyfrog
>End up grinding in the water outside Cianwood because Tentacruel give good EXP at the time
>Weird sound plays
>Shiny Tentacruel
>Catch that motherfucker
>All smiles as my Eevee finally evolves a few minutes later and I beat Chuck
>Go back to not paying attention for the rest of the gyms
>>
>>26596404
There was nothing to manipulate Gen 2/3 shinies.
Nothing.

Gen 4 onwards had masuda method.
>>
>>26596050
>be 7yr old me
>200+ hrs on glorious gold version
>wasn't a very smart kid
>had some abnormalities in my game as a result
>didn't know about switching
>didn't know about using bill's pc
>had a lvl 100 typhlosion that hadn't been switched since i started
>lvl 30s and under in the other slots
>all first route shit-mons
>2 pidgeottos, furret, graveller, jigglypuff
>box full of mons from trying to catch new ones
>infinitely frustrated, i thought they just disappeared
>diddling around whirlpool island
>encounter shiny golbat
>lose my seven year old shit
>believe it wont work but go to catch anyway
>your box is full call bill or some bullshit
>sob for a few minutes then go inside and hug parents
>learnt how to switch mons when everyone else started playing at school and we started trading
>i was a sheltered child swathed in autism
hope you liked my blog OP.
>>
>>26596485
Why didn't you just make a thread about Random Encounter shinies?

There's also a Shiny Hunt Weekend thread up you could have made a post in, although those threads are not what they used to be.
>>
>>26596498
Gen 2/3 shinies are objectively rarer
>>
>>26596515
Random Encounter Shinies are the same from Gen 2-5

What are you not understanding about this?
>>
>>26596529
If I wanted to reduce my chances to find an assortment of shiny pokemon in Gen 4/5/6, I could.

If I wanted to reduce my chances to find an assortment in Gen 2/3, I could not.
>>
I found a blue electrode at the Rocket Base in Crystal. It didn't work out.
>>
File: it's not even gold plated damn.png (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
it's not even gold plated damn.png
3KB, 160x144px
>>26596050

Crystal: Shiny Arbok from running Mount Silver so many times while filling the 'dex. Got a case of Pokerus there as well.

Never saw another Shiny nor got another Pokerus case again. Up to today and counting.
>>
>>26596551
Right.

Shit thread.
>>
>>26596489
>doesn't know about the PC but just happens to catch 5 wild mons first that fill all HM requirements of game
>"box is full" is only a thing in gen 1

having a hard time believing you anon
>>
The gen 2 shiny animation is and will always be infinitely better than the shiny animations since. Nothing was more exciting then that animation of the screen flashing black followed by the pinging sounds of a barrage of flashing stars.
>>
>>26596616
it's a thing in gen 2. you can call bill and get him to swap the boxes. please don't laugh at my hardships, we were all young once.
>>
>>26596485
You never heard about Transform/Mimic trick in G/S/C, did you?
>transfer shiny gyarados to gen 1
>teach TM31 (Mimic) to it
>find wild ditto
>mimic its transform as it transforms onto Gyarados
>use Mimic'd Transform on the next turn
>catch that ditto aftwerwards
>send caught ditto to gen2
>it WILL be shiny

As gen 2 shininess is defined by IVs, breeding with a shiny ditto will bring chances down from 1/8192 to 1/64 for the offspring (1/2 from inherited Atk from other pokémon [8 out of 16 values yield a shiny] * 1/2 from Spc [inherited from Ditto, may or may not get +-8] * 1/16 [randomized speed])

long time I checked this, my memory may have skewed me but the chances ARE 1/64 with shiny ditto on day-care
>>
>>26596347
Happened to me too, in the Safari Zone in Fire Red, ran into a red colroed Rhyhorn and thought ''probably some variation, maybe a firetype Rhyhorn'' because I didn't know what the fuck is up with it and ran thinking I'll just catch one later, a week or so later found out about shinies and died inside, a few weeks later I found a shiny Sharpedo in Ruby so that was cool.
>>
>>26596653
That method was not intended and I addressed it in the OP.
>>
File: 243.gif (13KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
243.gif
13KB, 96x96px
>>26596050
I caught a shiny Raikou back in Colosseum many years ago. It was in the Deep Colosseum, and I was led to believe that if I didn't get the Raikou there, I would lose my chance forever. The Raikou wasn't shiny when I battled it before, so I just wanted it to have it, as is natural with any legendary. I eventually caught it, used it in battle, and low and behold, a shiny Raikou. I practically flipped shit when I saw this because the RNG and amount of luck from that was amazing. Keep in mind that this was before HG/SS was a thing, so it was pretty much impossible to get it shiny without the use of a Gameshark or Action Replay. I still have it today, imported in Gen 6.
>>
I can't even remember if it was in my own game or a friends but I think it was G/C. I remember seeing the little stars around a Rhyhorn and flipping out. I was so scared I would kill it that I think I got my best friend's older brother to catch it. He couldn't believe that I got so lucky.

Not really interesting, but it's how it went.
>>
>>26596928
I doubt that one stayed shiny. Shiny Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum go through two shiny checks: when encountered, and when purified. You would've had to pass both to keep it shiny.
>>
Caught a shiny pidgey right after beating E4 for the first time. Caught it because all those sparkles were cool back then (Had no idea about shinies since I had a monochrome gameboy)

Captured a shiny kakuna headbutting some trees in the first route next to new bark town. Still monochrome gameboy, tho'

Then I got a Gameboy Color and captured a slightly weird colored spearrow. Learned about shinies and trained those fuckers like mad. Shit was so cash
>>
I remember my first shiny was a red gyarados i encountered while surfing
>>
>>26596979
It's still shiny. I can post a pic if you'd like. It was a long time ago, I might've been wrong, and in which case, I'm an idiot for not noticing.
>>
>>26596739
It's a reply to that "there was nothing to manipulate gen 2/3 shinies". I'm aware this is not the point of the thread

Have some stories to compensate:
>be, like, 10yo
>wished i could play g/s because poorfag
>some kid at my class has a gbc with gold version
>he did lend me it occasionally because he knew i'd never mess with his stuff
>trying to complete the dex, needing Pineco
>hey anon, keep using headbutt on these trees until you find a pineco and catch it while I go to the bathroom, you can kill the others
>second or third encounter was golden exeggcute
>didn't know nothing about shinies, thought it was nothing out of ordinary
>moved on
>told him about it when he came back
>never got to play since then
>never understood why until I grew up

also
>20yo
>still a poorfag, stuck with gba when everyone else was playing the ds gen2 remakes
>heard about nuzlocke challenge
>that might be interesting
>reboot that old Emerald rom om flashcart
>torchic starter because why not
>grinding stuff for brawly because 1st death against roxanne (poochyena, meh)
>playing without paying real attention since I got my catch for the cave, a zubat
>suddenly black-ish zubat (thought so because messy backlight)
>OMG SHINY SHINY
>throw ball without even attacking
>caught it
>replaced old zubat with him, it's a nuzlocke but who cares
>overlevel him like the fuck
>end up beating the nuzlocke while killing 20+ pokémon, shiny crobat was the only survival at e4
>0 fucks given
>>
When I was little, I used to avoid tall grass and such as much as possible, so it makes sense that I never saw a shiny in gen 2 and 3.

Someone else was playing my old copy of emerald and I told them about shinies just in case. The next day they caught a shiny lairon on victory road. They actually spent a lot of time grinding on emerald and eventually found a shiny wingull too.
>>
My first shiny was a shiny houndour in Silver on route 10 or whatever. I noticed the little animatic shiny thing and was like "okay better catch this",
But the fucking thing fled.

Shiny houndoom is pretty cool too :(
>>
>Shiny Ekans in Silver (original Game Boy) on route 32, I had no pokeballs and just killed it. Boy, I was pissed.
>Shiny Rapidash in Crystal (VisualBoy) outside of Mt. Silver, caught.
>Shiny Honedge in Y the first and only time I got through there, just two days after release date. Caught it. Shit nature, shit IVs (wild pokemon), evolved it into Aegislash and traded it fon an Articuno a few days later.
>Bred a 5iv shiny female Marill without MM, but with the wrong ability, changed it with an Ability Capsule and named her Bugs.
Those are all my shiny encounters ever.
>>
>>26596050
I found a shiny Golbat in Sky Pillar a few weeks ago. Now i have like 30 of them, thank's battle tower glitch
>>
>>26596485
Gen 3 had RNG abuse. Emerald's seed is the same, so if you find a shiny on say, frame 8593, every encounter on that frame will be a shiny.
>>
>>26596928
A caught Shadow Pokemon has a 1/8192 chance of turning shiny when sent to the PC, assuming you have a full party when you catch it.
>>
before XY came out i read about the increased shiny rate thing, had no idea how it would be implemented and feared thay my first shiny would be an "inpure" random encounter in XY with the rate increased... then while playing my favorite one, the first i played, sapphire, a couple of weeks before launch of XY, i encountered a wild shiny illumise on route 117!

crazy how a random pokemon you don't care about, one of those "how could this be someone's favorite pokemon" thing, now it's a mainstay in my team of favorites.
>>
I was playing silver and i was trying to get heracross. No joke i found a shiny spearow before i found a single herracross.
>>
The first shiny I found was an Exeggcute in FireRed's Safari, and I didn't fuck up catching it. It certainly made me sweat, though
>>
>be 11 years old playing silver version
>never heard of shinies
>do bug catching contest
>run in to a shiny butterfree
>thinks it's a glitch and catches it knowing a glitched butterfree would get me 1st place
>gets second place to a goddam metapod
>doesn't care, I love my special butterfree
> finds out what shines are 2 weeks later
> feelsgoodman.jpg
>file gets corrupted a few months later when I was only 3 mons away from a complete Dex
>weep for my lost butterfree
>feelsbadman.png
>>
>>26596404
Emerald actually had broken rng so it could be manipulated.
>>
>Be me
>It's 2006 or 2007
>Playing Ruby
>Don't remember why, was going through Route 113
>God-tier route music
>Green Sandshrew appears
>Never heard of shinies
>Catch it because it's weird

That was my first ever shiny. I have more 3rd gen shiny stories, if you'd like.
>>
I found a shiny tentacool in gen 3. Made it an HM slave.
>>
>>26597516
I did have a full party. ...Odd.
>>
>>26596050
In Crystal, the mystery egg I got from the Day Care was a Shiny Igglybuff with Dizzy Punch. Igglybuff didn't look tremendously different, and I didn't know Shiny Pokemon outside of the Red Gyarados were a thing. I thought the Red Gyarados was special. I didn't know why the screen flashed whenever I sent it out, since I didn't catch Red G in gold or Crystal and was unfamiliar with it.

Eventually, I wanted to restart, so traded everything of value over to another game. That Igglybuff was not one of them.

On the upside, I think I got a Smoochum from the egg on the next time, meaning I got to play through with an unusual pokemon.
>>
>>26598708
I thought it was always Togepi? Was I mistaken?
>>
>>26598716
He mixed up the names. It's actually the odd egg.
>>
>>26598748
I must be retarded because I don't remember the Odd Egg. Fuck I need to play Crystal again.
>>
>>26598748
Ah, thanks, anon. I always fuck up their names. Over a decade and it is still a coin toss every time.
>>
>>26598764
It can hatch into one of seven Pokemon: Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, or Magby. It is always female (except Tyrogue for obvious reasons), knows Dizzy Punch for some reason, and has a 14% chance of being shiny.

>>26598793
No problem. It's not exactly memorable, but not entirely unknown.
>>
>>26598845
Thanks anon. That sounds like quite the cointoss. I doubt that 14% would get me a shiny though. Unless you save-scum on an emulator.
>>
>>26598863
You can save before picking up the egg in the normal games. Save-scumming wouldn't get you anywhere because the Pokemon, shinyness, and IVs are decided the moment you pick up the egg. Although the emulator heavily cuts down on time.
>>
>get a Japanese Silver version months before Gold and Silver came out
>somehow get far despite not having any guides or anything
>go get Ampharos's medicine
>on my way back to the lighthouse
>weird colored tentacool appears, has some sparkles
>have no idea what's going on but I obviously catch it
That was my first ever shiny, and since it was lost a long time ago I bred one in Y. I called it Gin, which means Silver in Japanese
>>
I captured a pink butterfree in safari zone back when it first came out. Had no idea what it was until years later.
>>
>>26598911
I meant save right before up the egg, then speed up the game and run all over until it hatches.
>>
>>26598934
Oh. Yeah, that's how you do it. I played Crystal a couple years back and had to do that until I got a shiny Elekid.
>>
>>26598988
Nice. Elekid is based.
>>
The story of my first caught shiny, not including the one I hatched from the Odd Egg in Crystal.

>Playing Pokemon Sapphire
>Messing around after pretty much beating the game, leaving Littleroot
>Encounter a Wurmple, it's shiny
>Catch it
>Back then, I had my own theory of how Wurmple evolved into Beautifuly/Dustox
>Think that if I level it up to evolve the first time, it will evolve into Silcoon, but if I cancel and do it again, it evolves into Cascoon
>Do this, but it keeps always evolving into Cascoon/Dustox
>Get frustrated, go onto the official Nintendo Pokemon forums asking why my Wurmple wont evolve into Silcoon/Beautifly
>People explain why, decide to just perma evolve into shiny Dustox, mildly disappointed

>Sometime later, want to play again, knowingly erase the save and lost my first caught shiny forever
>>
Most shines I caught on a single run was on Ruby, with A shiny Wurmple to Dustox. A shiny Golbat and then A shiny Zubat and finally a shiny spinda. unfortunately lost the cartridge. would love to have my twin crobats Pinky and Stinky back with me in ORAS
>>
>start game
>get Cyndaquil
>encounter shiny Weedle on the way to meet Prof. Oak
>>
I managed to catch a shiny Mewtwo today on Leaf Green after about four days of SRing. (Not how many srs though, didn't bother to keep track)

I would post pics however, it's late and I'm too lazy to get out of bed and take pictures. I'll try to post pics by tomorrow, assuming the thread is still alive, if anyone is interested.
>>
File: image.png (147KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
147KB, 400x240px
>>
>>26596650

Not by default. I know because TPP anniversary crystal specifically added bill calling to change box as a feature.
>>
>>26599832
It sure doesn't feel like this
>>
File: ShinyGolbat.png (60KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ShinyGolbat.png
60KB, 960x640px
I was training my Mons at Victory Road in Pokemon Ruby, when I encountered, well, Shiny Golbat. That was first Shiny I ever had and I have her to this day.

She also has Pokerus, because I had infected Vulpix in team.
>>
Caught a shiny Numel while passing through Jagged Pass, battery died exactly at that instant
>>
File: shinyparis.png (11KB, 387x381px) Image search: [Google]
shinyparis.png
11KB, 387x381px
>playing pokemon silver
>walking in illex forest
>paris with sparkles appears
>catch it because of sparkles
>think "can i make more sparkle pokemon?"
>breed with spinarak
>sparkle spinarak first time
>>
When I played Crystal the first time the Togepi I hatched was shiny, but I never thought anything of it because I thought it had an increased chance of being shiny like the Odd Egg so because of that I kept expecting future Mystery Eggs to be shiny on hatching every time I played GSC.

Found out I'd been wrong for years like 3-4 years ago (I'm 22 currently) though I don't have it now cause the battery in the cart died.
>>
>>26600644
lies
>>
File: homu sad.png (40KB, 176x263px) Image search: [Google]
homu sad.png
40KB, 176x263px
Found a shiny Sneasel back in Gold. Had no clue what shinies even were back then. I thought it was a stronger version.

Soon I had to realize that Sneasel sucked in Gold and I didn't even bother to level it to max for Stadium 2 like the rest of my team.

Also, it's fucking pink.
>>
>knew a kid at school
>he caught a legit shiny Lileep
>he bragged about it like a cunt
>I hatched a plan
>had a friend with an Action Replay whip me up a couple of Mews
>convinced the guy's brother that Mews were way rarer than shinys, I'd trade him a super rare Mew for the Lileep, told him not to say who gave him the Mew
>he bought it hook, line and sinker
>took his brother's game, traded me the Lileep
>guy was furious, never found out who had his Lileep
>moved schools shortly afterward
>>
>>26597503
This.
I got like 20 shinies in 1 week after learned to rng
>>
Literally all of my shiny encounters have been gen 3 and ive played tf out of every gen.

>met a tentacool with green eyes south of pallet. Didn't know what a shiny was, caught it either way. Stayed in the box until i reset the save.

>met a shiny mankey in route 22 while leveling up charmander as usual. It escaped all of my balls.

>met shiny spearow in front of mt moon. It was on emulator, though. The golden fearow was fancy.

>Never met a shiny ever again ;___;
>>
>Crystal
>make my way to Ecruteak City
>go explore Brass Tower
>shiny Rattata appears
>accidentally kill it
>take a few more steps
>shiny Koffing
>catch and make him my bro for the rest of the game

Twas a good feel
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.