[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vp/ how would you feel about Gamefreak retiring the ability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (291KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291KB, 1200x800px
/vp/ how would you feel about Gamefreak retiring the ability 'Levitate' in Sun and Moon?

Any Pokemon that previously had it as their sole ability would get a different one, while any Pokemon affected by this change as well as any non-flying Pokemon that Gamefreak considers 'airborne' would simply get levitate as a passive trait/pokepower. This would open up better options for creature design and competitive play instead of the default 'it flies but we don't want to make it flying-type so we'll give it levitate' and vice-versa.

So you could have things like eelektross with another ability while preserving its 'no weaknesses' gimmick, masqerain being reverted to bug/water while staying airborne and something more interesting for Pokemon like Solrock or Flygon.

Too broken? Too pointless? Would ground-types need some heavy compensation for these changes?
>>
Magnezone gets a free ground immunity? Beautiful.
>>
>>26459071
Weezing gets another ability but stays immune to ground? I'm OK with that.
>>
>>26459092
Gamefreak doesn't consider Magnezone 'airborne' so no.

But Koffing and Weezing would
>>
>>26459071
they really need to rework the whole ability system so that they can give as many or few abilities to pokemon as make sense instead of just having them be a combat gimmick. not that they will
>>
Would mold breaker still negate levitate now that it's not an ability?
>>
>>26459126
But it floats
>>
File: MbYoAJV[1].png (67KB, 808x1622px) Image search: [Google]
MbYoAJV[1].png
67KB, 808x1622px
>>26459071
Well I made this a while back, though I no longer agree with a lot of it.

I think Sand Stream and Tinted Lens is perfect for Flygon though. It's the Spirit of The Desert and has literal rose-tinted lenses.
>>
>>26459071
Gengar, Rotom and Bronzong would need to be kept in check somehow

On the flipside Hydreigon, Flygon and Mismagius could finally do some new shit

As a bee myself would appreciate the fixes to Beedrill and Vespiquen
>>
>>26459181
Whoops, forgot to give Eelektrik and eelektross abilities. I think LIghtningrod would be cool because they're electric eels so they're kinda like living lightning rods.
>>
>>26459071
Was about to say this was way too much but I kinda see your point.
Abilities are absolutely crucial to a mon's design, competitiveness and theme. Pick any random pokemon and there's a good chance its usefulness and theme are strongly conveyed by its ability.
Unless it has levitate, that just means it floats which you can already see. The immunity to ground is really helpful for some, especially poison types but it prevents them from also getting something interesting. Only Bronzong can even have levitate as an option only.
Also HMs should become non-battle moves.
>>
I think all pokemon should have 2 abilities, splitted as "Poké-body" and "Poké-power". Pokébody would be related with a physical ability shared with all pokémon of each species like all Skuntank have Stentch, all Walrein have Ice Body. Poképower would be more technical abilities which can be changed like Skuntank with Aftermatch or Keen Eye, Walrein with Oblivious or Snow Cloak.
>>
>>26459154
I would say yes. Would feel too much like a nerf otherwise.

Also I've always felt that the reason we have abilities in the first place is because of levitate. Gamefreak wanting to create pokemon that are designed to constantly be in the air for gen 3 but without making 200 flying types, abilties and levitate were proposed as the compromise.

/headcanon
>>
>>26459071
I'd be all for that. Just make some Ground moves like Bonemarang and Mud Slap hit airborne mons.
>>
>>26459071
the concept of pokepowers/traits/attributes/whatever is stupid.
People that dislike levitate for whatever reason would just complain that it would take up that slot instead.
>>
>>26459181
Also Gamefreak could make up new abilities for these pokemon. I doubt it takes that long.
Unown would definitely benefit from a new ability.
Solrock and Lunatone could have day/night dependent HA.
Ground immunity for Aegislash, Chandelure and Klingklang line is definitely way too much though
>>
>>26459318
I unbiasedly put it so that anything that floats in the gmaes gets ground immunity. I don't think giving it to Magnezone/Aegislash and a few others is actually a good idea, no.
>>
>>26459071
>Levitate Mega Gengar
no ty
>>
>>26459071
I whole-heartedly agree with this. I often wonder to myself why Levitate needs to be an ability when it can simply be a "trait." Think about it. Certain moves that are Physical make contact, and some don't. It's just a trait of the move whether it does or not. By that same logic, certain Pokemon that air airborne should just be immune to groun-based moves, and any that touch the ground should be affected by them.
I'm not sure how re-assigning the abilities to mons that have already had levitate as their ability for generations would work, but I think it could certainly improve things. I think Levitate was a creative change when it was introduced, and many Pokemon benefit from it, but I think nowadays it's outdated and should be converted to something else.
>>
If you really think this is a problem, then the solution is just to give migmagius or whatever a new ability called "Floating Infiltrator" that combines levitate and infiltrator for example. There's no need to open up a whole new mechanic confusing "trait" game mechanic to the game for no reason.
>>
>>26462220
But then you get the next problem of creating 200 levitate variations
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.