[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else miss sprites? They seemed so much more lively.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (21KB, 337x149px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 337x149px
Does anyone else miss sprites?
They seemed so much more lively.
>>
oh, yeah.
>>
>>26214275
>4 frames
>lively
Yeah, not really.
The switch to 3D is the best thing that happened to Pokemon in a long time imo. It should've happened years before.
>>
Nah, not really. The 3D models just need better animations and more variety.
>>
I do, but game freak pretty much had their hands tied behind there back. Normies want 3D. I loved the 3D at first but after playing gen 6 over 100's of hours I've found many of them to look like shit.
>>
Sprites would look horribly pixelated now. Glad they are gone forever.
>>
The human characters look godawful in 3d.
>>
>>26214275
Gen 5 looked awkward because of its dynamic camera and low resolution sprites. The battle animations were very wooden too. I think that 3D models are the way to go if they don't want to stick to a fixed top-down perspective and static sprites.
>>
You can animate pokemons quiete lovely, just look at the gamecube games.
Its just that they fucked the animations up and made them bland while the models had washed out colours too.
>>
>>26214275
>lively
This meme again.
>>
>>26214275
I would have preferred a move to HD sprites (look at things like disgaea 5) compared the the shitty 3D models that are now going to be reused in everything forever.
>>
>>26214297
>>26214283

I don't know what you guys are on. I thought they did a great job with the animations.
>>
>>26214275
Yes. I would rather just sprites like in gen iv than the 3D models. They look so washed out and unappealing.
>>
I really miss them. I've always appriciated pixelart and the Gen 5 sprites were so vibrant and pleasing to the eye. The 3D models are good, though the colours are way too washed out, but if they at least could have kept the spritework for something like the PokéDex's roll-list it would have been so great. Official sprites for Gen 6's Pokémon would have been GOAT.
>>
I do think they found a good middle ground. We have CG models but they're designed to still look like the sprites.
>>
>>26214275
Sprites are such a unique artform, and they age way better than 3D models. Take any of the popular 16-bit games (Sonic, Mario, Megaman, countles others) and how they still look fine today because how their stylization, and compare them to games like Final Fantasy VII that used 3D models that now look ridiculous.
>>
>>26214275
I don't think they look alive at all. Until Gen 4 battles were basically glorified flash Newgrounds-tier animations. The ever-moving sprites from Gen 5 were nice but very pixelated

Now pokémon move during battle, move to attack, get hurt, are shown faiting, they never looked so alive
>>
>>26214302
HD sprites is not viable because there are too many pokémon
>>
>>26214275
no
>>
File: 1462072025992.jpg (76KB, 800x964px) Image search: [Google]
1462072025992.jpg
76KB, 800x964px
>>26214275
Yes
>>
>>26214302
Sprites are great and can look as good or better than 3D, but going with 3D just makes sense. Sprites take longer to make and animate, and are more expensive because of it. For King of Fighters 13, it famously took a day per frame of a character's animation to draw the sprite. While Pokémon sprites might be less complex than KoF sprites, there were only about 35 characters in KoF13, as opposed to 721 Pokémon. Not to mention that good sprite artists are getting increasingly rare.

If you are smart when making models, you can update the model and reuse your animations, or the other way around. You get to keep a base to work from. With sprites, you have to start from zero. It's just not a good decision to stick with sprites, economically.
>>
File: tumblr_n3bhrs26vF1snhu8go6_400.gif (878KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3bhrs26vF1snhu8go6_400.gif
878KB, 300x212px
>>26214472
Indeed. Not to mention GF's ability in spriting being really mediocre.
>>
>>26214275

To an extent. If the 3DS screen wasn't such a piece of shit, and indeed if the 3DS itself wasn't such a piece of shit, the 3D models would be much nicer.

As it is, they're pretty good, but I want customisability back and I want more options.
>>
>>26214547
It's not the 3DS that's the problem seeing as more competent devs have made fantastic looking games.
The problem is GF and their "future proofing".
>>
>>26214472
> now

they've been doing that since the first Stadium game.
>>
>>26214589
>implying GF made the console games
>>
Most of the NPCs who have Pokeball-throwing animations look fine, there just aren't many of them.

Aside from the animators not really understanding how momentum works, so the Pokeballs look like they're shooting out of their hands instead of being thrown.
>>
File: that ass.png (6KB, 256x128px) Image search: [Google]
that ass.png
6KB, 256x128px
Yes. I miss the gym leaders talking to you at their last Pokemon. In X/Y you just sweep their team and then its like they never existed.
>>
>>26214308
Go look at Stadium/Stadium 2 and Colosseum animations. You'll see a huge difference between Sceptile just standing there and being ready for battle for example.
>>
File: bwsprite hilbert.png (9KB, 217x556px) Image search: [Google]
bwsprite hilbert.png
9KB, 217x556px
I just don't like how fake/doll-like people look with the 3D models
>>
>>26214275
I don't like the "3D is a natural evolution" idea.

Sprites are an art style, not necessarily a restriction.
>>
File: persona 5.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
persona 5.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>pokemon will never look this good
>>
not really, no

sprites have the potential to look better than models, however they never looked great in pokemon games, just ok. theres no stylization past the first two gens so sprites were rather boring

I know there's always threads about posting the worst models/animations from X/Y, but how about sprites, im sure theres a lot more bad sprites, yet /vp/ is too blinded by nostalgia to see it
>>
>>26217107
>>26217121

Agree 100%. Half the reason I play the games is for the aesthetic, the recent 3D has been a little off putting for me
>>
>>26217173
The NX is most likely a portable with an optional console dock, so it may as well at least look this good at least.

So imagine a portable stronger than the psvita while portable and at least better than the wiiu while in console mode.
>>
I miss Nate's ass

It was fantastic
>>
>>26217416
Danm, so many repeatead words, tiem for sudoku.
>>
No, the sprites were shit.
>>
>>26217107
Wow the custom lower 2/3rds of this looks like total trash.
>>
>>26217121
>I don't like the "3D is a natural evolution" idea.
It is pretty silly.
We can make games look like full on animated features now, but developers jumped to blocky 3D the first chance they got.
>>
>>26217173
I'm going to get called a faggot for this, but damn, those menus look awful. Fuck this comic book shit.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.