[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Actually using starters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: Kanto_starters_I.png (179KB, 529x294px) Image search: [Google]
Kanto_starters_I.png
179KB, 529x294px
Am I the only one who never actually uses starters in a play through?

I usually get them to about level 20-30 and then in the box they go as I fill my team with "real" pokemon.

I think it has something to do with them not being natural to me. Not being able to catch them in the wild. And other trainers rarely ever having them. They feel like handouts as opposed to a part of my team.

Why is this?
>>
because you're edgy af
>>
>>26194183
They aren't handouts though. It's implied that they're necessary to make sure you don't get killed by a Pidgey/Zigzagoon/whatever in case it breaks out of a thrown ball or you can't escape. Handouts are shit like the elemental monkeys in BW1, Lapras in Gens 1 and 6, the Hitmons, Lucario in XY and Latios/Latias in ORAS.
>>
>>26194363
Those also feel awkward.
But why wouldn't they make them obtainable in the wild, so they feel mlre natural. Why wouldn't they expand the options so the prof gives you the choice of any 3 evolution line with similar stats?

It would make it so much more believable.
>>
I always use them the first 1 or 2 times around in a new gen. Or 3, if I want to try all three. In subsequent playthroughs I don't.
>>
>>26194363
> to make sure you don't get killed by a Pidgey/Zigzagoon/whatever
>they take your pokemon and make you pay to throw rock to Rhyhorn in the safari zone
I like the game logic sometime.
>>
>>26194363
>They aren't handouts
>Literally handouts
>>
I use the starters because they are more interesting than most of the generic bird/rat pokemon at the start of the game and by the time decent pokemon come into the playthrough I've grown attached to the starter.
>>
I'm playing since Gen 2 and only ever used my starter. Usually I was around the level 90 when I reached the league. For each fucking game

Did my first "6 Pokemon" run with VC Red and it was great, still used my starter.

Currently doing a Pearl and VC Yellow run without any starter it's awesome.
>>
>>26194420
Guess Safari Zone Pokémon are just pussies. Even when "angry" they just run away.
>>26194439
You still have to choose one of three. They don't give you all three or give you one at random, so not a true handout.
>>
I almost always use a starter. I can't help it, there's always at least one I really like.
>>
>>26194420

>HO THERE YOUNG LAD ! Wandering into the grass would be but a foolish endeavor for you would be undoubtedly be assaulted by tiny birds and rats, a most grim fate for the overly curious.

>Hi! Welcome to the safari zone! To enter is 500. Oh I'm sorry, you can't bring any of the pokemon you've raised with you, let alone use them against the pokemon found here but if you want to use one to ride on the body of water that's A-OK. You also can't use any of your own poke balls. Have fun and try not to get killed by the bulls, poisonous rabbits and insects with giant scythes and horns !
>>
>>26194479
That's an upgrade to handouts.
>>
>>26194439
Lapras is always given out because in RBY they figure if you don't already have something that can learn surf you're too dumb to know how to use a fishing rod, so they just give you something that can. Same for XY.
>>
>>26194183
I usually use starters the first time I play through a game but not on subsequent playthroughs, unless there was a second starter I really wanted to try out. The only exception was gen V where I boxed Serperior after the 5th gym because it just wasn't pulling its weight and there were a lot more weird and new Pokemon I wanted to try out.
>>
>>26194490
Ok???
>>
>>26194487
Still not handouts if you have to stretch it that far.
>>
The starters are always pretty good battle wise, so it helps you not lose quite as easily. Choosing a starter is a personal experience—why else is there all this hype about the new starters? (Most) People like choosing a starter that they like best and sticking with that one they have a connection with. I can see not using a starter if you really don't like any of them for that generation. I've always used my starter in each game all the way to the end because they're usually so powerful. However, I recently restarted my X version and boxed the starter to try something different, be Unique™, and to shake things up a bit by making myself not rely on the power of a starter. Either way, Pokemon is a fun game and people can do what and experience it the way they want.
>>
>>26194534
Sorry meant to respond to >>26194363
>>
>>26194183
You're overthinking this shit. Maybe some Pokemon are just rare or not native to the area you're in. Or maybe they just ARE straight up domestic species and not found in the wild. A friend might offer me a Tibetan Mastiff puppy as a pet because their dog had babies. Doesn't mean it's likely to find wild Tibetan Mastiffs when I'm going out for a jog.
>>
>>26194726
I always figured they were like this. Same with Eevee, until XY when you could finally find them in the wild normally, instead of just being a handout or a random daily in the trophy garden.
>>
I never use them.

Like op said, they feel unnatural. Like you are a special snowflake.

I want to earn the pokemon that define my playstyle, not have them forced onto me.
>>
>>26194565
>not handouts if you have to stretch it out that far
That's not much of a stretch.
>>
>>26194797
I had an idea a while ago, where instead of just being handed a starter, you'd get a temp pokemon like Wally and have to catch one yourself. It could be a random route pokemon, or they could still have the choice of the 3, just make you battle and capture it instead of a handout
>>
>am I the only one

>>>/r/eddit pls go
>>
>>26194906
What does this even mean?

>le' back to le Reddit lelele fucking stupid.
>>
>>26194897
What if you just played like in the Safari Zone until you caught something?
>>
>>26194897
>>26194930
I actually really like this idea.

Get a loaner with status moves, get thrown into a friend safari type area with a handful of random mons based on trainer I.d.
>>
>>26194950
Catching a starter from your own friend safari, huh? Neat.
I can't see GF passing up the usual set of starters for marketing but that would be a cool option or romhack
>>
>>26194950
A whole new kind of resetting for that female starter with right stats
>>
>>26194183
But OP (as faggot as always), they are your first Pokémon on your playthrough. Also, almost all of them are designed to be useful in-game because only the Champion, your rival, and others trainers actually carry a past-100 BP move, ensuring you to activate your Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent ability.
>>
I don't use Unova or Kalos starters but that's because they're all shit.
>>
>>26194797
"Special snowflake". People who are afraid to be unique confuse the shit out of me.
Plus since everyone else gets one, it's not too special. They're just a bit above average.

I don't even use starters but that's a bit of a weird reason not to.
>>
>not training your starter until they evolve to final form

Disgusting
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.