[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone love the Battle Frontier?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 35cipi0.jpg (67KB, 509x325px) Image search: [Google]
35cipi0.jpg
67KB, 509x325px
>never played Emerald
>when OR/AS is announced everyone talks about how much they love the Battle Frontier and want it back
>it's not in
>two years later, people are still angry about it
>“Wow, this Battle Frontier must be something really special! I wonder what made it so great!“
>look it up on bulbapedia
>Battle Tower is a Battle Maison with fewer features
>Battle Palace is watching AI Pokémon battles without any input from you
>Battle Factory is Battle Maison with random Pokémon
>Battle Pyramid is babbys first roguelike
>Battle Dome is regular battles but dressed up as a tournament (fucking nothing)
>Battle Arena is some kind of point sparring gimmick
>Battle Pike is normal battles with extra ~random hijinks~

Why do people want this?
>>
Nostalgia, mostly.
>>
>>26130729
Because it's fun.
Particularly the Factory, with Pyramid coming second.
Of course not all were great, Palace was really bad.
>>
File: Tie it up.gif (2MB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
Tie it up.gif
2MB, 580x433px
>>26130729
>look it up on
>>
File: 1432619497151.jpg (75KB, 395x751px) Image search: [Google]
1432619497151.jpg
75KB, 395x751px
Wow, it's almost as if descriptions of a game don't accurate capture what they're like to play
>>
>>26130729
Because, as boring as it may sound when you READ about it, it's actually quite fun when you PLAY it. Also, it's not just wanting the same olden Frontier that were in Gen III, it's seeing what new stuff they'd come up with now in the modern games. PWT was a huge success, so imagine having 6 of them each with their own theme and gimmicks (that would obviously be more intriguing that what it was back 10 years ago).
>>
>>26130768
Followed by
>>26130741

I actually enjoyed most of the the facilities. Never figured out how to git gud at Palace, but got gold symbols for all the others.

In the end, it was the fact that it was little gimmicks that people liked. It was another 7 (14 if you went for gold) gyms that acted just a little differently than a normal battle. It was a refreshing post-game.
>>
>>26130757
It's fun.
>>
>>26130729
>Battle Tower is a Battle Maison with fewer features
You mean the exact same amount of features. Battle Maison is shit, don't try to make it sound better than it is.
>>
>>26130729
>why do people play pokemon it's just the SAME battles over and over again.

But seriously, removing content just seems lazy (unless it's the Game Corner)
>>
>>26130729
Becuase it's infinitely better than the Mansion and Oras was the last opportunity to have it in a game.
Pyramid, Factory, Arena, Pyke and even Dome were really fun, but of course someone who is too stupid to emulate and see it for himself will never understand
>>
>>26130814
Maison has triples and rotation, though. And multi, but we don't talk about that.
>>
>>26130842
triples and rotation are utter shit
>>
>>26130868
That's certainly an opinion that is possible to have.
>>
every frontier since emerald were better than XY and ORAS battle maison

in XY you could argue "yes the games were rushed, they didn't have time blabla"

but for ORAS they just copy paste everything

it's not lazyness, it's just disrespect
>>
OP here, most people seem to think the different facilities were more fun than I make them sound. But what was actually fun about them?

Putting aside Battle Tower for a second, I can see the appeal of the Factory (don't have to breed) and Pyramid (a game mode not found in Pokémon usually). But please try to sell me on why the other facilities were good.
>>
>>26130729
>>Battle Tower is a Battle Maison with fewer features

That's arguable actually. It obviously lacks the triple and rotation battles but you also have an apprentice trainer who you can coach. It studies your battles and tries to make a team that you occasionally run into.

>Battle Factory is Battle Maison with random Pokémon
Yes, I'm not sure why the appeal of that isn't self-explanatory. It's also not 100% random like Showdown's randoms, you always start with weaker Pokémon and can gain strength by constantly replacing them with those of your opponent.

>Battle Pyramid is babbys first roguelike
PMD is better, yes, but it's still a giant shift from how you normally play which is the appeal.

>Battle Dome is regular battles but dressed up as a tournament (fucking nothing)
That's not entirely true. I don't blame you for interpreting it that way since you only looked at a wiki article about it, but it's basically team preview before team preview was a thing. Your opponent has three Pokémon, as do you, and you each have to select two based on them. It's a subtle difference but it does change how you teambuild for it.

>Battle Arena is some kind of point sparring gimmick
Yeah, it's pretty great, I love the hyper offense it encourages.

>Battle Pike is normal battles with extra ~random hijinks~
It's more like a randomized route. You test your luck and have to go through wild and trainer battles as a gauntlet, can sometimes get healed, sometimes get statused. If you don't like it that's fine but I think it's more than just normal battles.

Overall the entire thing has a gigantic variety, one that hasn't been matched despite the game being twelve years old now. That Game Freak hasn't stepped up their game to beat an old game such as this in this category is kind of sad.

Battle Palace sucks though, everyone agrees on that at least.
>>
The Battle Frontier essentially innovative competitive battling and survival challenges. Give them a try, it's fun.
>>
I was more than happy with platinum's frontier, even though hoennbabbies always shit on it.

Just give me any kind of post game besides breeding. That's what remakes and third versions are for, post game.
>>
>>26130999

Dome hit my autism in the right spot. And the others were pretty shitty.

But Factory, Pyramid, and Dome (along with the battle tower) were so fun by themselves that the other facilities' being lame didn't matter.

You're missing the point of the Factory of "not having to breed." The factory was all about getting mons you'd never use, with weirder move sets, and making a squad out of it. And after playing the games the dungeons are basically memorized, so when the pyramid came, the fact it changed all the time was super refreshing.

Overall, you can't have a good perspective on it from just reading about it/ word of mouth. I know everyone's said it before, but it can't be re-iterated enough.
>>
>>26131093
Platinum's Frontier is alright. I do think Emerald's is better, but it brought back the Factory and I think the Arcade is a better "luck-based battling" facility than the Pike even if it doesn't look as cool. Being able to do shit like Factory multi-battles was fucking tight, too.
>>
>>26131072
I can see the appeal a little better now, but I still have problems understanding why people love the frontier as much as they do. Of course everyone wants more content. But why this content specifically? People have been talking about wanting the Emerald Battle Frontier back since Gen IV, as far as I can tell.

Surely, if people can appreciate a difference as small as “bring three, pick two“ with the Dome, they would have to love something that really changes things up, like Rotation and Triples. But for some reason, everyone seems to hate those.

I am also nearly certain most people have not completed all five super battle modes in the Maison. So why do you even need more battle modes if you didn't finish those?
>>
>>26130729
I don't love Battle Frontier.
I'm neutral about it.
>>
File: 1453755008540.jpg (47KB, 371x348px) Image search: [Google]
1453755008540.jpg
47KB, 371x348px
>>26131215
The thing about Rotation and Triples is, it's still plain regular battles that are 100% identical to batling online in those formats. If I wanted to play a Rotation battle, I'd go on Battle Spot and play there instead of knocking down shitty AI opponents endlessly until one counterteams me. Emerald doesn't have particularly good AI either, mind you, but the Frontier provides different rulesets from what you can get just playing regular people.

>I am also nearly certain most people have not completed all five super battle modes in the Maison.

I actually have; I did it specifically because of your argument here, someone claimed you need to 100% the Maison to deserve the Frontier, so I did. And it was fucking boring, because it's just the Battle Tower for 350+ battles, and 100 of those battles are in the mandatory "easy mode" that can be beaten by just getting a team of fast offensive Pokémon and spamming STAB with no consideration for strategy. There was no variation with the moveset, and I only finished it to spite the anon that claimed I needed to if I wanted a Frontier in the future. I played the Frontier afterward and had a lot more fun even with facilities like the Dome and its subtle changes (I think the experience is why I defend the Dome as much as I do, it really helped me appreciate little details like that when the alternative is literally nothing changing regarding rule type besides switching battle formats).
>>
>>26131419
I guess I'll have to go play through Emerald and see for myself, then. Not looking forward to going back to Gen III mechanics again, though. I'll make a thread about my impressions when I am done.
>>
I didn't really like it at the time, but now I'd like it for autistic reasons like ribbons so I'm a little sad
>>
>>26130999
Rental matches are always my favorite because you jumped in completely blind. The part where you got an opponent's Pokemon and so could mix things up was also fun. Factory for life.
>>
>>26130729
I wouldn't say it has less features, but I honestly don't care about the BF not existing in OR/AS. Didn't expect it either after HG/SS copypasta'd the Platinum BF.
>>
>>26131584
Different anon speaking here, another reason it was wanted is that some of the people, such as myself, that first played it were dumb little kids with no idea of the concept of EVs and IVs. I remember that all I got with my in-game team was the silver medals of the Pike and Pyramid. It would have been nice to go back to it now, with a greater understanding of the mechanics and see if I could actually get gold.
>>
>>26132197
Go play an Emerald ROM then you twat
>>
>>26130887
>every frontier since emerald
Platinum also had a frontier which HG/SS copypasted.
>but for ORAS they just copy paste everything
Tell me, anon: why do the Johto remakes get a free pass?
>>
>>26132595
Because they were better than crystal, while ORAS wasn't even better than Emerald.
>>
>>26132595
>>26132610
When can we get an image with "The problems with Heart Gold and Soul Silver"?
>>
>>26130729
It was the first actually good post game Pokémon ever had. With the shitty post game in gen VI it's not surprising people miss it. It doesn't help that the Maison is just what the Battle Tower would have been if Gamefreak had bothered to include it.
>>
Why is the Maison so easy? Why are there no evolved Pokemon?
>>
>>26132648
When their problems are enough to justify said image... so never.
The main problems with HGSS are pokemon distribution and level curve, but both of this are from GSC. Everything else is an improvement of the originals

>>26132777
You need to unlock the Super battles for serious challenges
>>
>>26130729
probably because it also was kinda like a new region. you could try to do it and then get badges. I was way too bad for this and I never really appreciated it, but right now, I would love it. 7 Facilitys which acts like gyms in hard :)

Didn´t like battle maison first, but I read at bulba about endfights against legendaries and against wally and now I don´t think it is that bad :) But something like battle frontier is the best.
>>
>people that say "the real postgame is playing online"

Well maybe i don't feel like fighting CHALK for the 500th time
>>
>>26130729
Nice bait. Anybody who actually plays Pokemon knows why the Battle Frontier will always be necessary for a good Pokemon game.
>>26130868
I bet you hated double battles too
>>
>>26130729
>>never played Emerald
Stopped reading right there. Also you have to be over 18 to browse here.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.