[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of these Gen 5 Pokemon Day 47-Ferrothorn line

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
224KB, 1920x1080px
Yesterday was the Galvantula line, today will be about the metal plants incased in metal, Ferroseed and Ferrothorn.
My thoughts: A pretty cool grass type. I believe this is the first Grass/Steel type, and despite a glaring quad weakness to fire, Ferrothorn finds itself a success niche in competitive...So much so that many see it as cheap, right up their with Talonflame.
Now, designwise these Pokémon have a very...odd disposition in the fandom. A lot of people find Ferrothorn to be so aesthetically displeasing, but I'm of the few that asks how and why? Infact I asked this in a Ferrothorn thread yesterday and I was told that most don't understand that it's based on the durian fruit, which looks very spiky. Is it the lol edgy memes or something?

Anyways, overall I like the Ferrothorn line, but I'm curious as to why this is seen as one of the most un-aesthetic Pokemon in the series.
>>
Strange looking for sure. I was turned off of the typing at first but it's surprisingly tanky.

Haven't used it much but from the little I have, it's a fun mon.
>>
I honestly love the way it looks. The color scheme is nice.

It's also ridiculously useful uncompetitive play. It covers up so many holes.
>>
Really loving Ferrothorn used him on my first ever white run
>>
Another great Gen V mon. Honestly, it baffles me how this gen gets the most hate out of them all. So many good Pokemon.
>>
For some reason gen 5 was really good with with wide, horizontal Pokemon with strange limbs. Ferrothorn, Chandelure, Reuniclus.
>>
Very annoying on battle and ugly looking into oblivion.

He is the reason I run Taunt on my Froslass.
>>
Fantastic. Best Pokemon of the past several generations. Like the new houndoom for me.

I'm an edgyfag and love this guy.
>>
I'm fairly indifferent but I love the casuals that get so upset that a Pokémon is good at being a wall.
>>
>>26074540
I think it is because sprites finally got big enough to really pull those off well.

>mfw GF probably has folders filled with mon designs waiting for an excuse to use them in future gens
>>
I love the ferro line, if anything i dislike the names.

I always thought they were those spiky dried up plants that get stuck in your clothing if you run into them
>>
When I first saw Ferroseed when it was spoiled in Gen 5 I immediately wanted one for my team, thought it looked really cool and still do. I was somewhat disappointing when I saw it's evolution but it's design has grown on me over the years. It's really fun to use competitively, too. Switching into a Talonflame when its below 50% using Brave Bird with Ferrothorn and killing it via passive damage from recoil+iron bards+rocky helmet has to be one of the funniest things ever. Even funnier if Ferrothorn Lives.

Overall great Pokemon, one of the best from Gen V imo.
>>
Ugly but genuinely fun to use. My Curse/Gyro Ball/Toxic/Leech Seed Ferrothorn saved my ass in the Battle Subway many times.
>>
Ugly Ben 10 creature that people only like to get their compshit on
>>
>>26074290
Like them, but was extremely disappointed by the fact that it's two stage. Seeing Ferroseed made me expect a gaint metalic plant monster, then seeing Ferrothorn made me want that even more, only to find out it's not a thing.

I hope they add something like a split evo for ferroseed, so I have my dream, but we can coll ferrothorn cause he's still cool.
>>
Literally my moms vagina
>>
>>26074290
Really ugly. I'd never use it, even though it is good competitively. As far as bulky Pokemon go I'd much rather something like a Vaporeon, Florges or Skarmory.
Feels nice OHKO'ing it with a boosted Fire Punch.
>>
I'd also really like to know why Ferrothorn is seen as "ugly" a lot. Did most find Forretress ugly since they're very similar in design and shape?
>>
>>26074871
Using "ugly" as a complaint is completely invalid, if you ask me.
>>
Love it, iron barbs + rocky helmet is my fap material
>>
>>26074290
Nuzlocke bro, and useful in competitive too. I want to hug it.
>>
>>26074851
>Vaporeon
Why? Totally outclassed by Suicune, Alomomola, and Quagsire. Also
>not liking Ferrothorn
It's cute and cool looking.
>>
File: 1459116837748.png (260KB, 905x503px) Image search: [Google]
1459116837748.png
260KB, 905x503px
>>26074876
>>26074871
>What do YOU think of these
>disliking its design is isn't a valid OPINION
Pic related literally you
>>
>>26074871
Forretress is way better than that piece of shit. It animates better too.

In different games Ferrothorn is either waving its tentacles up high or walking on them somehow on the floor.

Forretress spins around, clamps down, inserts its cannons in and out. Visually more appropiate and makes more sense. Making Ferrothorn out to be this thing thats supposed to attach to ceilings like some shower scrubbing pompom doesn't do it any favors in that regard.

Its also a fucking mess visually since Gen V had a raging boner to abuse the black and white color schemas because hurr get its called black and white. Soooo many pokemon from that gen have random fucking black stripes and patterns, and this thing is no exception. But again people only like this abomination because it's what they can abuse on competitive meta easily. At least Forretress also has worth as a Pokemon PLUS viability. And they both fufill different roles.
>>
>>26075173
Karenfags can't comprehend people liking mons that they hate. Ironic...
>>
>>26075236
What? That's not what they're saying at all.
>>
>>26075252
>Using "ugly" as a complaint is completely invalid,
>>
>>26075259
Ugly is a subjective term
Goodra is ugly but some people think she's cute or sexy.
>>
>>26075259
Well, yes. Making something ugly is a design choice. You can say that you prefer designs that don't use that design choice, but using it as a way to express your disapproval for a mon, or to "insult" it or whatever, is nonsensical.
>>
>>26075283
So you admit Ferrothron is ugly then and only enjoy it for vapid reasons like abusing it in comp. Kay, gotcha. To each his miserable own then.
>>
>>26075249
What?
>>
>>26075303
A Pokemon can be cool and ugly at the same time, you total moron.
>>
>>26075303
People like "ugly" designs. It's a perfectly valid design philosophy, and has nothing to do with competitive. I know several people who like Ferrothorn for its rugged, ugly design but don't play competitive at all. Including myself.

It's not all black and white, anon. But I guess I can't expect people on /vp/ to have reasoning skills past those of a five year old.
>>
>>26075275
Goodra is objectively an insult to the design line. It's made by a different person and doesn't follow any logical progression from its pre-evos.

>>26075283
But when people are asked for their opinion, saying they consider something ugly is a valid opinion.
>>
>>26075359
Did you even read my previous post? I already said that here >>26075283

It's perfectly acceptable to prefer designs that use other philosophies, and to not like "ugly" designs, but to totally didmiss fans of a mon just because of that and call everyone who like it a disgusting smogonfag or whatever is just childish. You can't use a valid design choice as an insult or to dismiss it, even if you don't prefer it.
>>
>>26074871
That's one is easy to answer for me. Forretress is (mostly) radially symmetrical with smooth components and few sharp angles throughout the design. It also has a cool locking mechanism.

Ferrothorn is a little more awkward as it has a bulky body covered in hard sharp spikes and disproportionally thin curvy (limbs?) that are supposed to support its weight and help it maneuver. They just seem... Insufficient.
>>
>>26075405
I did read your post.
and you wrongly claimed
>>Using "ugly" as a complaint is completely invalid,
>>
>>26075405
It was funny how sperged out he was in that Ferrothorn thread yesterday.
>>
>>26075546
A bulky Mon being in your words "bulky body covered in hard sharp spikes" makes sense to me desu. The limbs are for Power Whip.
>>
>>26075602
The bulky part is fine, I didn't say anything was wrong with that
>>
>>26075236
Sourche? Google-fu is failing me.
>>
>>26074876
Agreed. It is a buzzword at this point.
>>
>>26076125
Boku no net cafe
>>
>>26074290
>but I'm of the few that asks how and why? Infact I asked this in a Ferrothorn thread yesterday and I was told that most don't understand that it's based on the durian fruit, which looks very spiky. Is it the lol edgy memes or something?
Why are you such a pretentious fop?
>>
>>26074290
>A lot of people find Ferrothorn to be so aesthetically displeasing
Unovabortions can't even spot the good Pokemon from their beloved gen. Ferrothorn is based.
>>
>>26076348
Who's saying it's just Unovaborations that hate Ferrothorn?
Or why is Ferrothorn hated in general outside of compcheapness? It never struck me as a Pokemon that can easily be called "badly designed".
>>
>>26076348
You can tell a Unovabortion from a long time fan that loved Gen 5 simply on their opinion of the starters.
>>
File: 1460778705959.jpg (78KB, 426x506px) Image search: [Google]
1460778705959.jpg
78KB, 426x506px
>>26074290
I was fucking baffled the first time I faced it in competitive. It was like going against Forretress for the first time again.

"How does a defensive typing like that walled my shit up so hard?"
>>
>>26077067
I'm a long time fan, and I find the Gen 5 starters to be...decent. Actually I like Serperior and Samurott, which is my 2nd favorite Grass and Water starter respectively.
>>
File: ferroshame.png (105KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
ferroshame.png
105KB, 500x319px
>>26074290

He's my third favorite Grass-type and my absolute favorite Steel-type. His design is great and reminds me a lot of Forretress, who I also like quite a bit, and slapping a Rocky Helmet on him made in-game play hilarious with NPCs seeming to go out of their way to kill themselves with contact moves.

All in all, one of the best Pokemon to come out of Gen V.
>>
>>26075283

Weezing is ugly, but most people seem to still like him anyway. These are supposed to be monsters after all, some of them will inevitably be kind of disgusting by design.
>>
>>26074290
>Yesterday was the Galvantula line
Ah man, I missed my favorite Pokemon's day? Does anyone have an archive?
>>
>>26074290
Ferroseed and Ferrothorn looked exactly like a fake Pokemon evolutionary line I made as a kid (except for those green vine things) that I was a little freaked out when I first saw it when the BW pokedex got leaked.

I mean, I guess it's not that odd, a spike ball evolving into a oval spike thing. I like it. Both visually and competitively.
>>
>>26074290
I think it's cool looking and the fact that it lives off Karenfag tears makes it even better.
>Use your favorites!
>But if your favorite is OU or Uber it's not really your favorite!
>>
I used to put Ferrothorn in the same league as Wash-Rotom where nobody could possibly like this thing, and that they picked something so 'bizarre' for the sake of winning when otherwise they wouldn't (i.e. "tryhards) but as time went on I actually listened to the fans and unlike the former which never had a compelling argument, I can see it as one of those creatures you gain an acquired taste for.

It's like a modern Forretress, nor is it particularly 'overdesigned,' and I see a lot of artist really enjoy emphasizing the arms as being a very active part of the design. It's a very clean color scheme too, you can almost immediately tell it's typing.
>>
all around great mon. liked it the moment i saw it from the leaks
>>
Dies to flamethrower. Shit pokemon.
>>
File: Ferrothorn_Pokédex_entry_(1).png (33KB, 510x338px) Image search: [Google]
Ferrothorn_Pokédex_entry_(1).png
33KB, 510x338px
It's a interesting Pokémon.
>>
>>26080970
I have favorites in all tiers, but people only like him because he's an OU stallmon. A few genuinely like him, but the majority are dishonest with themselves.
>>
>>26084708
Is that not reason enough? A major reason why I like Garchomp is the overwhelming power it has.
>>
Reminded me of Fortress, thought it was pretty interesting
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.