[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/heg/—Hacking & Essentials General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 44

File: expanded dex.png (2KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
expanded dex.png
2KB, 160x144px
List of notable ROMhacks: http://pastebin.com/hMRJR8KX
Getting started on your own hack: http://pastebin.com/fjGZfMzP

Essentials: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads

Essentials Wiki: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Essentials_Wiki

RMXP Tilesets: http://www.mediafire.com/download/sd99pug37y4v4se/Ziddy%27s+DS+Style+Tilesets+RMXP+.rar

Sites for sharing games:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/
http://reliccastle.com/forums/

IRC channel: #/vp/romhack @ irc.synirc.net
Webclient: http://webirc.synirc.net/?channels=/vp/romhack

Topic: What are your favorite ROMhacks NOT in the listed Pastebin? It's time we update the fucker for 2016. Essentials games need not apply.
>>
how difficult do you guys think it would be to implement a character customization script in essentials that puts together the player character by pieces rather than having to sprite them all manually?
>>
I updated the snippet of Laverre City I did so far, haven't progressed the song further but I think I made what I have so far a lot nicer.

Old version:
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/laverre-city-gbc-8-bit-wip

New version:
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/laverre-city-gbc-8-bit-wip-2

Looking for criticism on the new version.
>>
How feasible would it be to make a Pokemon like spinda?
>>
>>25996473
I've seen people add color changes to things like Floette in Gen 3, so if you understood PID (I don't as I don't hack Gen 3) you could probably do it reasonably as long as you know .asm. What do you have in mind?
>>
>>25996531
A vivillon that is ice bug type, with snowflake wings, and everyone is different, like real snowflakes.
>>
>>25997071
That should be doable then; Gaia has Wormadam forms with different types and appearances, it could be similar to that. I know Spherical Ice sometimes comes on here, he might be able to answer, and if he ends up not coming around you could go to him to ask how he did such.
>>
>>25997071
>>25997074
Wait, actually I missed the "everyone is unique" part; that might actually not be feasible.

The way Spinda works is it has two spots that are each shifted along both an X- and Y-axis based on PID. To try and generate unique snowflake patterns would be a lot more complex than moving around two circles.
>>
Where the HELL is the Mega link
>>
>>25996376
>hacking and essentials general
>essentials need not apply to pastebin
Why are essentials games inferior in your opinion?
>>
>>25997628
It's an old /rhg/ pastebin that's received updates before but not in a while, and I'd rather keep the legacy of it being a pastebin for hacks.

Though I totally do have a bias against Essentials, I'd rather not derail the thread into shitflinging this early. That comes later.
>>
>>25997658
Too late, you started it. Put up or shut up.
>>
>>25997658
Then, maybe we should make a separate pastebin for Essentials? Regardless of feelings it seems like people would come in here and ask what notable Essentials games exist, and rather than answer every single time we should just have a list.
>>
>>25997663
The engine is poorly optimized dogshit. The stock music is trash; at least if a ROMhack uses the music from the original game it's good music. I've never seen an Essentials game I would call worth playing, maybe Sage if it ever gets finished.

That's my opinion on it.

>>25997664
>Then, maybe we should make a separate pastebin for Essentials?
If you want to start one, go ahead.
>>
>>25996409
Nice! somehow you managed to make this far better than before

What's this for?
>>
>>25997934
I'm just doing covers that people request right now. My goal is to make Gen 2 music that people can use in their hacks if they so want, similar to all the Sinnoh covers in CrystalComplete (an open-source Crystal ROMbase that you really shouldn't use other than its music and Voltorb Flip, since the ROMbase is super outdated compared to the current disassembly).
>>
>>25996381
Didn't the Medabots GB and GBC games do something similar?
>>
File: Traner_Sendout.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Traner_Sendout.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
During the last couple of days I've been doing some touch-ups to this animation.
I now have it use a version of the current backdrop and base, the trainer withdraws his hand, and the scene is tinted based on time of day.

In the future, I hope to do similar with double battles, and add a variation for mega evolving

There were some complaints in the last thread about how the transitions were used, so I changed a few things.

In the first one, I have it fade through white, and in the second I use a quick transition effect.
Which is better?

>>25997949
Pretty neat
Are you going to publish them as a midi file or the gameboy file format?
>>
>>25998259
They're being published via .asm file. To give an example, http://pastebin.com/qdbnUQH4 is the file for my Hoenn Gym Battle cover.
>>
File: DOORS.jpg (78KB, 804x537px) Image search: [Google]
DOORS.jpg
78KB, 804x537px
So, what are you working on /heg/? Anything to do with DOORS?
>>
>>25998908
a crystal hack. i'm on my final stages in terms of everything non-graphic related, and i have no idea how to begin work with those maps. i want to create caves for the legendary birds.
>>
>>25997079
I was going to make it similar to spindas, by having like two sort of star shapes or something that shift around.
>>
New to hacks and playing Glazed and really liking it. Anything similar in ways of content, difficulty, also not having to choose an actual starter for your starter is very nice. The world looks really good too.
>>
i can't get these fucking animations for rock polish and hone claws straight REEEEE
>>
>>25996376
Is there a hack that is nuzlockable for a novice? Just tried glazed and got rekt
>>
>>26001533
Have you Nuzlocked the vanilla games first?
>>
File: Route 4 Basics.jpg (511KB, 1728x480px) Image search: [Google]
Route 4 Basics.jpg
511KB, 1728x480px
I considered what Paint Dude said about mapping yesterday and applied it to my draft of Route 4, which frequent /heg/ posters will recall as baroque and needlessly inflated in my initial stab at it.
The house is where a Rocket, fleeing the player's (and Rangers) justice at Mount Moon, attempts to knock over the Warden of Mount Moon for his Dig TM (TMs are exceedingly rare black market items left over from the war.) It makes more sense plot-wise for it to be here rather than the ordered city of engineers led by veteran Lieutenant Surge in Cerulean (another change inspired by another hack) where any attempt at crime would be quickly and efficiently stopped.
Inside Mt. Moon will change a little; I plan on incorporating the slope from my demo into the greater dungeon crawl. Maybe this time I'll have the Lunar Witch be a healer rather than a fairy-type trainer, because the plans right now make it quite the slog without preparation.
Critique and feedback, as usual.
>>
Page 5 bumperinographic imaging
>>
>>25996381
There's a few rpg maker xp scripts out there that do that. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to adapt them for Essentialsé
>>
DOORS
>>
How do I get started making a gen 2 romhack? Are there any good guides out there?
>>
>>26003421
All Gen 2 hacks these days (except the ones that don't) use the pokecrystal disassembly.

https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal

With it, you require zero external tools besides the map editor ( https://github.com/yenatch/crowdmap ) and everything in the game is written out in what's in my opinion easy-to-read text, or easy-to-read for all the things most people would want to edit like moves and trainers and scripts.
>>
>>26003559
>https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal

Thanks for this, do you know where to get started? I really don't have any experience doing this but I wanted to make a new region, I know it will be a lot of work and I am willing to put in the effort, I just have no idea where to start.
>>
>>26003660
Well, to start, you'd want to install what's needed to compile the Crystal ROM. INSTALL.md has instructions for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
>>
>>26003687
thanks, do I edit the components before compiling it or after?
>>
>>26003717
After compiling. You compile every time you want to test a change, but first you want to make sure you can compile the vanilla ROM so that the installation worked.
>>
>>26003559
the map editor doesn't work anymore
>>
>>26004337
jfc pika stop breaking shit
>>
>>26004337
works for me
>>
File: Pewter Show.jpg (1MB, 2496x780px) Image search: [Google]
Pewter Show.jpg
1MB, 2496x780px
>>26001699
Further progress on Pewter. Some rough stuff like the house/pool on the lower right and trees above the gym, but it's getting close. The grass over the Mart is supposed to be a sort of Trainer's park, but I'm not sure how well grass in cities goes over; Drayano did it in OFR but I'm noticing he didn't in SG/SS. Still, there's space that needs to be filled-perhaps I can stick the house up there and make the park its own thing.
>>
>>26004807
IMO you should move the crater thing a bit to the right, and make a second fleet of stairs that lead to a one of those guard cabin things in routes, and make that be the entry to the park
>>
File: redshit.png (31KB, 712x426px) Image search: [Google]
redshit.png
31KB, 712x426px
Are the red X's for anything or can I get rid of them to add new tiles?
>>
>>26006108
You can get rid of them, yeah. One issue that can happen in RPG Maker is using a random blank tile on the tileset to erase stuff, which then can fuck up your movement permissions. The red Xs are there so you don't select a random blank tile by accident.
>>
File: map_riverside.png (96KB, 1600x1920px) Image search: [Google]
map_riverside.png
96KB, 1600x1920px
First map in a few months after not working on anything. Again, its based off of shitty maps I drew years ago. Any thoughts?
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (373KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
373KB, 500x350px
>mfw see fl studio interface for the first time when trying to learn how to compose music
>>
>>26007180
That's really empty, particularly on the west bank of the river. Consider how much the player can see on a screen at any one time. The fenced off areas are also pointless space wasters. Basically, condense the map unless you want to add in a lot more stuff.
>>
>>25997664
I tried asking what Eseentials games were good. The answer I got was 'none'. From multiple anons
>>
>>25996376
Red++, Glazed, Gaia, Cuckold Emerald, and Eternal X/Wilting Y should all be in the pastebin
>>
>>26008797
I played Zeta/Omicron once. It was okay, about the same as any OC romhack to be honest, including novelty features and donut steele characters.
>>
>>26007616
Your pic related is mfw I'm hacking
>>
>>26004807
Of the three you've made, #3 looks the best
>>
>>26008797
I'll bite. Not all of these would be a good fit, but they're what I personally consider the non-shit ones.
Ethereal Gates, Obsidian, Uranium, Legends of the Arena, Spectrum.

There's some smaller ones out there done for a game jam that are pretty good too.
>>
>>26010074
A semi-finalized draft.
>>
>>26010830
I had forgotten to mention that the PC/Pokemart should be switched, but you already got that down. Looks great anon!
>>
File: Masuda_was_here.png (12KB, 447x409px) Image search: [Google]
Masuda_was_here.png
12KB, 447x409px
>Looking in BW2 rom to find pokéball sprites

>Find this

Wtf..
>>
>>26010830
Dude do you have this project published somewhere? like a forum or some shit bc its looking really good
>>
>>26007180
right side mart just chilling on its own.
>>
>>26012148
I've got a progressing hack thread post on pokecommunity with a very rough demo. Not posting any updates there until I've made actual progress.
>>
>>26007180
that mart should switch with that house near the gym
also this kinda looks like violet city if violet city was crossed by a river
>>
>>26007180
how do you do this btw?
>>
>>26012518
link bruh?
>>
>>26012860
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=365632
>>
>>26012965
Thanks anon
>>
File: Screenshot_20160420-184041.png (231KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160420-184041.png
231KB, 1440x2560px
Playing Vega for the first time, tips?

Picked the Fire type.
>>
>>26014269
How is it?
>>
Whats easier to hack, Gen II or Gen III?

I want to start a project.
>>
>>26014551
III for sure
>>
>>26014474
Ok so far.
>>
File: map_riverside_2.png (84KB, 1600x1792px) Image search: [Google]
map_riverside_2.png
84KB, 1600x1792px
>>26007860
>>26012429
>>26012579
Alright, I tightened up the right side of the river, changed the positioning of the mart, and made a few changes.

>>26012595
I'm using GSC tilesets with Essentials, unless thats not what you're asking
>>
>>26014751
the mart looked great where it was before

asking for opinions is dumb, only people who don't like it respond

you should make a poll
>>
How do I go about adding the little scenery images that were in HGSS? Like the ones with different Pokemon in them based on the time of day?
>>
File: thebestroute.png (59KB, 967x591px) Image search: [Google]
thebestroute.png
59KB, 967x591px
Rate my route lol.

I'm working on adding to my tileset. Any ideas for stuff to add? Routes include a desert area, flooded area, lots of gardens, parks, polluted area.
>>
>>26017436
It's a damn mess
>>
>>26017482
thats the joke you ninny. im testing out the sizes of the newly made tiles.
>>
File: laverre city.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
laverre city.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>tfw song has a slow, chord-heavy section and the GBC can't do it right

https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/laverre-city-gbc-8-bit

It's done.

http://pastebin.com/pVtgJivC

And here's the code, I'll start posting the source with my covers so nobody has to go searching for them on a hacking website if they want to use them.
>>
>>26010526
Eh, Uranium and Spectrum are absolute trash - Spectrum especially - but the rest seem decent.
>>
>>26017436
the styles don't match, they don't feel right
>>
>>26018336
Tell me what you don't like about spectrum so I can see if I can improve it
>>
>>26017436
Cactus tiles don't fit well with the native FR tiles.
>>
>>26014786
no it didn't. a commercial place on its own on the other side of the river? makes much more sense where it is now

>>26014751
looks great 2bh
>>
>>26018336
But I like Uranium.
>>
>>26010830
>>26001699
Nice, I like it!
>>
Possibly dumb question incoming:

I'm playing a modified version of Gold (trainer levels have been increased is pretty much the extent of it). Am I ok to go back and modify the ROM during a playthrough or will it fuck up my save file?
>>
>>26019822
if you don't mess with the game's event flags and you should be ok.

Don't edit the map you're on to be safe?
>>
>>26019841

I'm a complete scrub when it comes to anything ROMhacking related, I'm basically just using a trainer editor and that's it lol.

Sounds good though, thanks!
>>
File: no.png (511KB, 1728x480px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
511KB, 1728x480px
Any ideas for "offline wondertrading" or things you can do in a computer other than messages/moving mons around?

>>26001699
Red is "fucking no" yellow is "this is too long.

Also wtf that little hill to the right, completely useless and could be joined to the mountain two blocks behind it.
>>
>>26020050
Still not getting this too long thing. Red circled grass is still being worked on. Since the player would get the dig TM at that house, don't you think there's some digging going on in the red circle?
I haven't changed width at all, guess I'm not using the space efficiently.
>>
>>26020050
The little hill is likely for the Mega Punch master.
>>
>>25996376
what the HELL is the name of the hack in the OP pic, i'd be down for some GBC hoenn
>>
>>26021822
Not a hack, it's a ROMbase, and an in-progress one. Someone expanded the Pokémon data structures in Red to use two bytes instead of one when checking for species, allowing you to break the ~256 limit for that game and have hypothetically ~65536 Pokémon (though in practice you'd run out of space on the cart long before you'd hit 65536, having 721 is completely doable though).

https://hax.iimarck.us/topic/6738/

This is the thread about it. Right now they're still adding Johto Pokémon to the ROM, but anyone could grab the base and add whatever number of Pokémon they want (though it might be best to wait, there are surely some yet-undiscovered glitches caused by the changes).
>>
>>26021533
Winner winner Farfetch'd dinner
>>
What's the general opinion on replacing a Select few shitmons in gen 3? I'm debating whether or not to replace mons like volbeat, illumise, delibird for newer gen mons
I'm not planning on adding all the newer gen mons, even though its possible. Mainly due to laziness
>>
>>26021863
fuck, they need to do that for moves. Red++ still has the tiny ass movepool limit
>>
>>26022637
imo shit like goldeen/seaking can completely fuck off
>>
File: Co workers.jpg (611KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Co workers.jpg
611KB, 1000x667px
Full HGSS / BW2 Disassembly when?
>>
>>26025134
Well a Gen 3 disassembly will certainly happen first.
>>
>>26025134
>>26025151
Never ever
Or in 5+ years
>>
>>26022637
Fuck Ledyba/Ledian, Spinarak/Ariados, Volbeat/Illumise, there are newer gen bugs that you can replace them with.
Also, fuck Hoothoot/Noctowl too. Shit birds that had to be nerfed for Johto's shit scaling. Buff or replace.
>>
>>26025134
Implying they'll ever fucking touch gen 4 or 5. They're too preoccupied with gen 3 to give a shit about later gens.
>>
>>26025258
>they
Aren't everyone welcome to contribute to a git?
>>
Bottom to top: recent reworkings of Viridian City. Bottom I thought was great but evidently is too big and ordely; I came to agree with that.
Middle was transitional.
Top is semi-finalized. I cut it down by 12 tiles to shorten the entrance; red are cut trees, yellow are items (hidden or otherwise), blue is the event trigger to send the player to check out the gym, where they will meet the secondary rival character (a junior Ranger) and the new Leader of Viridian Gym (still the eighth badge)-the Pokémon Ranger Captain.
Hence the ledge and the cut tree; you must visit the Gym before progressing further.
Much like Route 22, Viridian Lake will have an optional rival battle with the Jr. Ranger.
The wild grass is again a decompression of the wildlife lists. Zigzagoon, forest types, perhaps a couple rare early psychics like Abra and Ralts. Poochyena would be a good fit here, I think, it's a dark little wood.
Getting close to finishing the redrafting all the maps in my demo. Viridian Forest and Mt. Moon are all that's left (some minor rework on Route 4 as well.)
Rate and hate.
>>
File: Viridian City 5 Notations.jpg (2MB, 1088x2784px) Image search: [Google]
Viridian City 5 Notations.jpg
2MB, 1088x2784px
>>26025545
Forget pic related ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also, what does everyone here watch/listen to while hacking? I'm rewatching DS9 right now.
>>
>>26025562
>Also, what does everyone here watch/listen to while hacking?
I watch let's plays on my other computer in the background as I hack on my main
Mainly LPs of other ROM hacks, just recently started watching Jagold's Ruby Destiny series and I gotta say there are a lot of mistakes there I'll be sure not to do.
>>
File: the flintstones.jpg (18KB, 192x263px) Image search: [Google]
the flintstones.jpg
18KB, 192x263px
>>26025562
SiIvaGunner on a randomized playlist.
>>
>>26025200
>Hoothoot/Noctowl
but those two are actually different from the rest. fuck stuff like spearow and fearow instead, they add nothing to the game and are completely bland and uninspired
>>
>>26022637
If you're talking about removing them to make space, I find that unnecessary since you can easily expand the Dex in Gen 3. If you're referring to the regional Dex that's perfectly fine.
>>
>>26024517
>>26025200
>>26025681
Thanks for the suggestions

>>26026332
I know it's doable, but as I said in the post you're quoting: "I'm not planning on adding all the newer gen mons, even though its possible. Mainly due to laziness."
I just want to add a few new gen mons, such as cross-gen evos.
>>
>>26026403
Eh. I don't see why you don't just add the ones you want, but there's nothing wrong with it if you choose to stay within the 386+however many extra Unown slots limit.
>>
>>26025562
I'm really like it now. Only thing I'd change is putting a house in the tree nursery.
>>
File: Reshiram_Cutscene.webm (2MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Reshiram_Cutscene.webm
2MB, 1152x480px
Over the last few days, I've been exploring the BW/2 file system for resources that I could put to use. Doing so, I found textures for both Zekrom and Reshiram. I went ahead and created cutscenes for both.
>>
File: Zekrom_Cutscene.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Zekrom_Cutscene.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
>>26028050
Here's the Zekrom one
>>
>>26028050
>>26028061
the background of the battle doesn't seem to fit the opening scene
>>
Did somebody say BUMP?
>>
>>26029415
I just tested the encounters on grass and haven't created backdrops of my own yet.
>>
Top is the first draft. It's a bloated mess.
Bottom is pretty much finished. Red circle are trainers, yellow is NPC.
Tough making it seem like there was reckless deforestation going on a decade prior without having wide open dirt fields or importing stump tiles. Centered is a drained lake only recently beginning to recover. It will be many years before this little wood is back to its dense and lush self. The League doesn't want to build a road through it until there is further improvement.
I'm not sure a north wing is necessary; between the small woods in each town, VF proper, Viridian Lake, and this I think I can fit each basic early bug, bird, and grass type without too much tight compression where the player runs into entire new biomes every route.
I'm not inclined to change the regular forest beyond encounters and trainer rosters/dialogue.
One possible issue: I'm getting told some events are outside the map. With Route 4 I believe this has something to do with Cerulean Cave; here I believe it has something to do with not deleting trainers and items before reducing map size. Will that cause problems in the future?
>>
>>26030412
>I'm getting told some events are outside the map. With Route 4 I believe this has something to do with Cerulean Cave; here I believe it has something to do with not deleting trainers and items before reducing map size. Will that cause problems in the future?
Nah, you should be good. You can move events even if they are outside the map by typing a lower x/y coordinate in the events tab.
>>
bumo
>>
>>26030362
oh, very good then
>>
>>26025562
Much better spread of houses, I like what you've done here. The reduction in size works well too. Good job.

>>26030412
Interesting! I'd definitely add some grass on the bottom left, but it looks fine otherwise.
>>
>>26033201
Thanks! I appreciate all your helpful criticism and feedback!
>>
Can I get a BUMP?
>>
I need a hack to play, most hacks I've played sucked. The only ones I've played that are actually good are Light Platinum and Glazed
>>
>>26035596
Pokemon Gaia.
>>
So let me get this straight-if I wanted a player to be able to use waterfall and that waterfall takes them up say, seven tiles and then warps them to the top of the waterfall (by which I mean a water body) on another map I'd use script tiles with warp scripts, rather than warp tiles-correct?
And sending them back down I would need to set up corresponding script tiles that they'd hit after going over the waterfall?
Because that's what a brief google leads me to believe, unless I wanted to create waterfall tiles with behavior byte 61 00 I think.
>>
Eternal X/Wilting Y released 1.2 4 days ago or so. Does anyone have the patch for/a new cia?
>>
>>26028050
>>26028061
That's cilerbadass
>>
File: Comfy.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
Who likes to get /comfy/ with their tiles?
>>
File: Mount Moon Slope Redraft Part 1.jpg (382KB, 962x608px) Image search: [Google]
Mount Moon Slope Redraft Part 1.jpg
382KB, 962x608px
I think I'm starting to get this mapping shit down. A year ago I'd spend hours making utter shit, now a few hours produces a pleasant result like this.
I was trying to edit my massive Mt. Moon upper slope map and found that it works better split up.
A-enters from the Pewter side of MM.
B-enters from the Cerulean side.
C-goes up to the part of MM that leads to the other maps of Mt. Moon
D-goes down to Cerulean Cape
Red are potential spots for trainers, yellow NPCs; lines show movement parameters. The NPC by the B cave is to be a healer, since the player will have to trek quite a bit up to that point.
Blue is an item ball. Experience share, maybe. Encounters would be various mountain pokemon and second stage birds, maybe that thing Seedot evolves into, Sudowoodo.
>>
>>26038893
Is this essentials?
How did you do the water?
>>
>>26038893
Hi Max!
Now, yours is the essentials game with all the myriad type combos, right? Can you tell us a little more?
>>
File: Sky_Large.png (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
Sky_Large.png
2KB, 128x128px
>>26040420
Yep, it's all Essentials

First, I ripped the cloud tile from a BW2 rom and re-sized it to 96 x 96 The tile is made to loop indefinitely in all directions.

I then set my water tile to approximately 50% opacity and put it on my lowest most layer.

Next, went into "Spriteset_Map" at ~ line 276 and replaced:

>@panorama.ox = @map.display_x / 8
>@panorama.oy [email protected]_y / 8

with:

>@panorama.ox += 0.2
>@panorama.oy += -0.2

so that with every update, the Panorama layer, even lower than the lowest tile layer, will shift 2 pixels every ten updates, which is pretty slow.
Since Panoramas loop indefinitely, All I had to do was set an event that created my BW2 as a panorama automatically:
-Invisible in topmost corner of map
-Set to Parallel Process (Auto Run is fine, but Parallel keeps it on the screen and reduces glitches caused by Panorama changing)

Commands:

>Change Map Settings:Panorama='SkyLarge', 0

That should be it for the actual reflection. The official games use the exact same method for their gen 5 water reflections.

The next thing I did, however, was create a complementing shadow of the clouds on land on the overworld. I put these parameters in the same event that creates the reflection.

I was even able to change the event based on time of day to make the game reflect stars at night or a dusk filter

Here's a my tile if you want

>Change Map Settings:Fog='Cloud1', 0, 80, Sub, 200, -10, 10

>>26040770
Actually, that's not me. My game is more of a traditional approach made to replicate gen 5 and 6 mechanics as close a possible.
>>
Not sure if this is related to the thread, but does anyone have an Action Replay code to change a Pokemon's nature to Modest in Emerald?
>>
>>26040917
Modest [ROM Patch Slot 1]
6658C989 89518A0F
CA12F7A9 56873493

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921905-pokemon-emerald-version/faqs/38469

I don't know how /vp/ feels about Gamefaqs
>>
>>26040947
it's useful
>>
>>26040947
Thanks, but I meant for my Sceptile
>>
>>26039657
I like how enclosed it is. Comfy.
>>
>>26041391
Maybe there's a save editor?
>>
>>26040864
Looks amazing and way easier to implement than I expected. Great job.
>>
>>26040864
Are you cool with any of us using it? How should we credit you for this?
>>
>>26043286
>>26043170
Oh, It's totally fine.
I really don't mind others using it if you're creative about it. A simple nod in the credits would be nice, though.

After the release of my game, I'm putting out the source to a lot of my features, so that others can learn how to make their own rather than cut and paste.

Most of the fun comes with developing your own things and solving problems along the way. Every good game was made that way.
>>
File: FRLGcolorpallete.png (3KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
FRLGcolorpallete.png
3KB, 500x310px
Some updates on the every-type combo game:

Added some variations to the pokemon, sorta like Gastrodon.

Skitty- Grass/Psychic - the bouquet pokemon which affects the owners mood based on the type of flowers that it blooms. Variants- Friendship, Loving, Mourning, and Celebratory bouquets.

Pidgey -Normal/Flying still, with a bluejay, cockatiel, cardinal, and normal look.

Magikarp- Water still with Water/Dragon Gyrados. Normal, calico, creamy white, and speckled variants.

Aron- steel/ rock still. Steel (regular), Cast Iron, Brass, and Red Iron.

Poochyena- Normal- Sled (Husky), Herding (Blue Heeler), Gaurd (German Shepherd) and Rescue (Dalmatian).

Dwebble- Bug/Rock still. Normal, Marble, Rainbow Rock, and Sedimentary.

Pic is my color pallet, if anyone wants to use it, its the common colors in FRLG tilesets. Working on adding more tiles.
>>
File: I am become rocket.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
I am become rocket.gif
3MB, 320x240px
Bump

JPAN's OW switch a best
>>
Bump.

Haven't been working on anything related to my hack, but I do have a query I want to ask. Does anyone have any strong opinions regarding, in a Gen 2 hack, having two Bicycle/Surfing themes depending on whether you're in Johto or Kanto? I think it would be a neat idea, and would try remaking the Gen 1 Bicycle/Surfing themes to fit the Gen 2 composition style if I went through with it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any criticisms against the idea.
>>
>>26047899
It sounds like a good idea here.
>>
File: IMG_2757.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2757.png
1MB, 640x1136px
So I finished Sacred Gold and Volt 1/2 and they where all great. Is there any hacks similar to the ones mentioned for Platinum?
>>
>>26048187
There are hacks of that vein but I've never tried them so I don't know the quality of them, none of them are by Drayano. Origin Platinum is similar to Star Sapphire in being a straight-ish hack that doesn't mess with base stats, while Flawless Platinum is more directly Drayano-esque with stat and type changes.

I have to stress I haven't played either and I don't know if either of them are any good, but those are your options. There's also Bullshit Platinum but that's meant more as a straight, extreme difficulty hack than a "game's the same but revamped" hack like the Drayano hacks.
>>
Maximum BUMP
>>
Who here /bump/ from page 7
>>
>>26049866
Whatever you do, don't get Bloody Platinum. god was that abortion fodder.
>>
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have a left over 20th anniversary mew? HBG doesn't allow hacks or clones, so I assume this is my next best bet without making my own thread
>>
>>26052767
If you're on firmware 10.5 or below injection is trivial.
>>
File: Backsprite switch successful.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Backsprite switch successful.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>26046074
Bump
>>
>>26052767
Try wifi general or injection general. We mostly deal with fangames. Sorry.
>>
Are SunGold/MoonSilver any good, or am I better off playing Sacred Gold? I'm looking for a Gen4 hack to play on vacation. I want a different experience from the normal Pokemon run.
>>
>>26044458
TELL ME MORE
>>
File: 1459834006298.jpg (53KB, 625x418px) Image search: [Google]
1459834006298.jpg
53KB, 625x418px
>>26056182
You would like to know more?
>>
File: RSEMAP.png (32KB, 508x370px) Image search: [Google]
RSEMAP.png
32KB, 508x370px
Ruby/Sapphire Demake Town Map. Thoughts?
>>
>>26056817
What about that town you can only get to sometimes?
>>
File: RSELittleRoot.png (13KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
RSELittleRoot.png
13KB, 320x288px
>>26057054
Im sorry, what?

Also, bonus Little Root.
>>
>>26057095
It's been a long time but it's that little town in the water on platforms?
Looks good.
>>
File: RSERoute101.png (17KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
RSERoute101.png
17KB, 384x384px
>>26057204
Oh, you mean Pacifidlog Town? Yeah, it's there, between those two islands. It just kind of looks like its on a single landmass.

And thanks.
>>
>>26056817
too many non existant island, too litle dinasaur island
>>
>>26057334
Will you use the apricot sprites as berries?
>>
>>26057334
The route is somehow comfier with GBC tiles, it's refreshing.
>>
What's the point of all the maps you make?

Will you ever make an actual game?
>>
>>26057364
I'll tweak the map some more for sure.

>>26057377
More than likely. If I had more than just myself working on this project we could probably push the envelop a little more.

>>26057394
Thanks, man. I agree. GSC sprites compliment RSE nicely.
>>
>>26057204
Pacifildog? You can always reach that town I think. There's a mirage spot near the each that you can't reach.

>>26056817
Looks good.

>>26057095
Too small in my opinion, the houses should be spaced apart more, it's both smaller than the original RSE town and smaller than New Bark.

I'd also add some pavement to the town; I know it wasn't in RSE but they added some clear pathways in the town to ORAS, and it would make the town look more detailed.

>>26057334
I would consider increasing your tileset size and making some new tiles so the route can better fit the shape of the original route, if feels off, it's a bit too squarelike.

Also if you haven't already done your own cover, I have a Gen 2 cover of Littleroot Town's theme for anyone to use, just mentioning in case you haven't started on music yet.

http://pastebin.com/5tuLV0Kz
https://soundcloud.com/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-1/littleroot-town-gbc-8-bit
>>
>>26057435
nah little root's fine
>>
>>26057435
Dude stfu its all ok
>>
File: 1452491568710.jpg (16KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1452491568710.jpg
16KB, 348x342px
>>26057674
>>26057688
I didn't think I was that harsh.
>>
>>26057095
I've always wanted to do a demake of Platinum. How do I get started on making one based off the Crystal disassembly? Are there essential files and resources I'll need?
>>
Does anyone know is blazeblack1/2 require EV training at all?
>>
>>26056091
I'm not a huge fan of some of their changes, but if you want something different, there's no harm in giving it a go.
>>
>>26058544

Just like every Pokemon game, if you want good mons then yes you have to EV train them. BBVW/2 have it.
>>
>>26058544
The bosses will be much harder without it.
>>
>>26058733
I'm asking if EV training is required to beat the hack. (ex. gym leaders have 6IV pokemon with perfect EV spreads)

You don't need to EV train or breed good pokemon to beat the regular games casually, that stuff is for wifi.
>>
>>26020050
>Any ideas for "offline wondertrading" or things you can do in a computer other than messages/moving mons around?
No fucking clue how it would work code-wise, but scaning a randomly chosen file on your computer and giving you a pokemon based on that file's data
>>
>>26058544
The bosses don't have EVs, so you don't need them either. Even random EVs will give you a significant advantage over them unless all your IVs are zero.
>>
Guys I need to add the national dex to my game. I've tried just doing it with a randomized but every time I do it offsets my Pokemon's evolutions (ex. Bulbasaur now evolves in venasaur at lv32 not Ivysaur and lv16)
I've even tried adding it then going back and changing all the evolutions to the proper ones but that made me lose the national dex.
I have no idea how to script though so could someone please help me out. Thanks you all.
>>
>>26059554
Add a new person event in viridian or wherever, just make sure you have the regular dex first then paste this in:

special 0x16F
end

That's literally it
>>
>>26059587
>just make sure you have the regular dex first
I meant: You need to have the regular dex first before you talk to this person in-game
>>
>>26059587
>>26059605
Sounds simple enough. Thank you.
>>
I only want one thing out of the hacking community in life: to see Hoenn done using gen IV assets and the Physical/Special split included.

Am I going to die unhappy?
>>
>>26003660

Learn to program in Assembly, bro.
>>
Is moemon a good rom?
>>
Bumping /heg/: a labor of love.
I check into /heg/ multiple times a day to bump it, keeping it alive.
/heg/ is the best thread on /vp/
>>
>>26061972
I love the maps.
>>
i'll just say it: i have no idea how crowdmap works.
>>
>>26057732
You weren't.

The square stuff is by design though. Gen 1&2 tiles were done in 2x2 blocks, looks like he's following that convention.
>>
>>26060426
Given the lack of Gen 4 mapping tools, yes.
>>
File: Route 3.png (64KB, 990x766px) Image search: [Google]
Route 3.png
64KB, 990x766px
Does /heg/ like mountain deserts?
The green brushes are supposed to be OWs
The grass at the bottom of the map are event tiles

South goes to a desert city
West goes to a pure mountain route
>>
>>26062211
reminds me a lot of route 111 by basic geography
>>
>>26062211
I really like the shortcut down, beneath the bridges.

The bottom area is quite empty though.
>>
File: Night_snow.webm (1MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Night_snow.webm
1MB, 1152x480px
Aesthetic Bump

Working on Seasons tilesets and overworld shadows.
>>
>>26062964
Is it just the video lagging or is RPGmaker's engine really that bad?
>>
>>26063029
It was lag from the game because I was testing different footstep sounds. I'm working on a way to reduce lag from generating sounds, but I already have the sounds only ~8 kb big as ogg files
>>
>>26062007
Thanks! I enjoy making them, for the most part. Sometimes fixing them is a pain but it's a labor of love. Currently redrafting Viridian Lake with the knowledge I acquired doing Viridian Forest and Pewter.
>>26062211
I fucking love it! Do the desert tiles have wild grass behavior? Or is it Cave/random route header?
>>
>>26063145
Thanks!

>Do the desert tiles have wild grass behavior?
Indeed they do!
>>
If the guy working on Kanto Roads is here, they made a video for you at PokéCommunity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppO2nxr7QOI
>>
File: VL 4 jpeg.jpg (495KB, 1056x880px) Image search: [Google]
VL 4 jpeg.jpg
495KB, 1056x880px
>>26064517
I'm flattered, but this demo is outdated (after a month at that). I'm nearing the completion of the mapping redrafts and I've considered putting out a revamped version of the demo, but I think I should focus on getting the concepts and plots solidified while getting the maps together.
The demo was very rough cut. My mapping has improved by light years in the past month. I only wish I had the skills I have now a year ago, since my free time is about to evaporate with summer classes and work.
And to be radically honest, it's an Omega Fire Red clone with revamped maps and an attempt at a different storyline. Nothing special. I was shocked to find it nominated for hack of the month. This was like a proof of concept sort of thing showing off the stuff I want to do with my hack.
I love Achromatic's enthusiasm though.
And they keep getting my name wrong. It's Fire Starter Best Starter, not Fire Red Best Starter.
Pic related is in progress of redrafting Viridian Lake. Original was too long around, no direction, no focus, kind of neither here nor there. Now there's an area of interest (cave holding a Regi, perhaps?), a 3-tile chokepoint for a Rival 2 event, places for forced grass, a little mountain tiling to show some connection to Mt. Moon.
>>
File: 1459821822315.png (1MB, 2697x1159px) Image search: [Google]
1459821822315.png
1MB, 2697x1159px
>>26056182
Pic is the many mons, although it's a bit outdated as a few have changed. Every type combo exists in the game.

Lots of comfy and npc dailies. Chefs and painters ask for berries daily and give items. Many people want species that pertain to them (mail service needs flying types, breeders want cute mons, rescuers need strong, gardeners want grass, police want canines, etc) making breeding and collecting mons more useful. I want to game to be more than just a fighting route to victory. The NPCs give level and EV boosting items. Essentially, a person could breed or catch mons or collect berries rather than grind.

More happiness stuff. Lots of places like the haircut bros, such as a carnival and candy carts. Happiness affects critical hit chance.

More likeable HMs. Only 4 HMs and the do many things rather than single action. Ex. Cut is able to cut tree barriers, slice berries from tall trees, cut herbs from big flowers, slice vines blocking caves. All hms have a 40 BP early game and 80 BP later via a move tutor.
>>
How would you guys feel about a Pokemon-inspired game using pre-existing Fakemon? I've figured out how to transition them into sprite form seamlessly, recolor/edit aspects of them, and fully animate them in the same way as BW/BW2 sprites.

I'm doing this for a few reason: 1 I can't sprite good monster designs from scratch, 2 I feel like it'd save time making monsters that I could instead use for making gameplay development.

Of course I would credit the sources to the Fakemon artist's deviantart or whatever. Thoughts?
>>
File: crowdmap.png (176KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
crowdmap.png
176KB, 1366x768px
>>26062060
What's your issue with it?

>>26062175
They are done in 2x2 blocks, yes, but you could still create more 2x2 tiles to have a better shaped route. They don't have to do it but it's what I'd do.
>>
>>25996376
Hey guys i am searching for a frlg hack with 6gen pokemons + 6th gen starters(+shinies). Main characters are still red/leaf

And I am searching a hack of rby/gsc with gen6 pokemons in oldschool sprites! Thx a lot!
>>
>>26065596
For the latter, there's XY Naturia, a Gen 2 hack with later-Gen Pokémon. There's also a Red randomizer that can have Pokémon from all six Gens: http://sanqui.rustedlogic.net/randomizer/#pokered
>>
>>26065582
i don't understand a single thing about it. i know it works in your browser, and i know you have to download the folder, but that's about it. do i have to use python? do i have to have extensive python knowledge? what knowledge is that? how does the bloody thing work? what about cache? and what about the memory for the game file? if i make too many maps, will it say "oops extension #38 is too big"? cause i just wanna add some caves for the legendary birds and then maybe tweak some other stuff too, man. that's all i want. a gen 2 game where you can catch everything in its proper place.
>>
>>26065461
You should add a sandy shore, maybe near the house and the road? and maybe non acesible coastlines, using the water mountain titles
>>
File: 1458875848789.png (133KB, 874x1346px) Image search: [Google]
1458875848789.png
133KB, 874x1346px
Posting mine. With a little help from /vr/. This is what we have so far. I wasn't able to finish it but I will continue at a later date.

Can you tell which vidya characters they are?
>>
File: 1458938387998.png (48KB, 384x1428px) Image search: [Google]
1458938387998.png
48KB, 384x1428px
>>26066558
Also, backsprites.

There's a demo floating around somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.
>>
>>26066558
>>26066570
i NEED to play this
>>
>>26065889
>do i have to use python?
Well it runs a python command, but you should have already set up python when installing the pokecrystal disassembly.
>do i have to have extensive python knowledge? what knowledge is that?
Not at all, just run the command it tells you to. The code is already written.
>how does the bloody thing work?
Just follow the README.md instructions, unless there's something specific there you don't understand.
>what about cache? and what about the memory for the game file?
Come again?
>if i make too many maps, will it say "oops extension #38 is too big"?
I don't think you'll immediately fill a bank, but if you do you could just create a new section of the ROM to add more maps.
>>
>>26066558
You're back!

I have the demo if you want me to upload it back to you.
>>
>>26066613
If you have it then go ahead.

The demo uses Gold as a template but since my laptop died I'm going for Crystal version instead.
>>
>>26066635
I don't seem to have the .ips patch on me so I'll have to send you the pre-patched game.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/a09xo4
>>
>>26066603
i didn't use python tho. i just use cygwin to assembly the game file. i've been basically editing stuff like movepools, dialogues, move animations, etc using notepad++. but assuming it isn't much, i guess it should be easy. i tried editing certain move animations at one point to make them more interesting (but also more complex and thus involving more written code) and it basically just made certain banks too big so i couldn't do it. i don't understand much of what i'm doing, all i know is when it doesn't work i go back and try to figure out a way to make it work. i guess crowdmap will be the same.
>>
>>26062211
>OWs
?
>>
>>26066804
Overworlds
NPCs
>>
File: 1432926466249.gif (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1432926466249.gif
13KB, 200x200px
>>26065550

Not a great example, but I did this quick and dirty just to give a basic idea of how it'd look. This is only with a few frames though, so a final animation would blow this away. Just wanna show how articulation works.
>>
File: 1440114261589.gif (8KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1440114261589.gif
8KB, 100x100px
>>26067565

Another. This one isn't even "animated" yet, I'd say. Just showing off the articulation of the limb and head mostly. Again, nothing like a finished animation, but it gives the idea of what I'm doing.
>>
>bump
>>
Trying to do the same as this guy >>26059554 (add the national dex)
But have no idea what >>26059587 <-- This guy meant
>>
>>26069279
>But have no idea what >>26059587 <-- This guy meant
You put that in a script, and it sets the National dex if you already have the regular dex.
With Advance Map, add a new OW wherever you want, then in the 'offset' slot, put '800000' and open it using your script editor of choice, then paste that special in and hit compile.
>>
>>25996376
Would it be possible to make a pokemon game with visual novel style elements? Like full portrait sprites.

Hell, has it already even happened?
>>
>>26069944
In Essentials it's easy to display portraits.

Don't remember any hacks doing it.
>>
>>26057404
Assuming you're talking to Kanto Roads guy?

Probably because he is actually making a game, jackass. And one with actually good maps at that
>>
Anyone with the Crystal disassembler? You can change front and backsprites for anything, right?
>>
>>26065550
I'd feel absolutely fucking fine about it. In fact, I've thought about doing the same thing, except spriting takes me fucking forever. How do you do it?

Also, I wouldn't worry too too much about animations. You only need a second frame one, and that's if you want your hack to look super super polished
>>
File: scr_8_BOTTOM.png (68KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
scr_8_BOTTOM.png
68KB, 320x240px
After fucking around with X and a hex editor I managed to make infinite use Potions. Pretty sure I can't get rid of the quantity without ASM, though, and 3DS hacking isn't anywhere near the point where I would want to try that. Are there any items in XY that would actually be worth making reusable?
>>
>>26057404
Maps first, then the scripting.
>>
/heg/ - A Constant Bump Edition
>>
File: Reduced_lag.webm (2MB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
Reduced_lag.webm
2MB, 1152x480px
>>26062964
>>26063029
>>26063080

Actually turns out that not only the recorder causes lag, terrain footsteps and the panorama script does.
The panorama is the most fixable at the moment.
Updating the panorama cause a shit ton of lag if you don't limit the updates.

So for now, I've edited the earlier script as follows:

At ~line 157 of spriteset_map i added a new line and inserted:
>@panoramalag=0

Then, I replaced:

> @panorama.ox += 0.2
> @panorama.oy += -0.2

With:

>if @panoramalag==5
> @panorama.ox += 1
> @panorama.oy += -1
> @panoramalag=0
>end
>@panoramalag+=1

It now runs close to full fps, but still some small lag while the player is moving fast, but I'll get to that.
>>
Guys, what's the easiest way to learn how to script? Any tutorials?
>>
>>26074972
For gen 3?
I recommend XSe, here's the tutorial I used to learn: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=279345
I'd recommend fooling around with a test ROM at first, and you can always look at the default scripts in the game to see how they work and what commands they use.
You can also press F1 for a complete list of commands if you're stuck
>>
>>26074972
This youtube channel covers the most basic scripts and is easy to follow along. Start from the first one and work your way to the end with a test rom, that's how I learned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8IEnyOnuq4
Unlike others, there's no obnoxious music playing, no notepad instructing, it's clear and concise. Unfortunately the maker never got into more advanced stuff.
>>
>>26066686
Python is just a programming language like C, assembly, etc.

The ROM is split into banks. If a bank is too full, you just need to move the section you're editing into a new bank. You can (and really should) make it so the compiler puts a section into whatever is open; everything already in the ROM is coded to be put in specific banks to match the ROM, but that doesn't matter for a hack.
>>
>>26075564
yeah i know what python is, i just don't understand that language. thanks for the bank part, i had no idea what was going on!
>>
Can I get a large bumpacino, no sugar, no cream, a little speed? I mean a lot of speed. In fact, hold the coffee I just need a bump.
>>
owls are killing /heg/
>>
>>26077739
I like Owlbro myself, and the starter Trio he's part of.
>>
>>26066603
i don't understand this
>Clone inside your pokecrystal repo. Then:
>python gfx.py png gfx/tilesets/*.2bpp.lz gfx/tilesets/roofs/*.2bpp gfx/overworld/*.2bpp
what exactly does this mean? where do i put this code in? python directly? just like that?
i never had to use python before. you can build the disassembly for pokecrystal by only using cygwin.
>>
>>26078769
you put it in cygwin

in the pokecrystal folder (~/pokecrystal usually)

git clone https://github.com/yenatch/crowdmap

then the rest
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.