[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me why you hate the idea of a light type, /vp/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: Sad Electrode.png (35KB, 178x180px) Image search: [Google]
Sad Electrode.png
35KB, 178x180px
Tell me why you hate the idea of a light type, /vp/?
>>
>>25947108
Because it doesn't really make a lot of sense? Most people who want a light type want it as a counterpart to dark, not knowing that in reality "dark" type doesn't exist either
>>
>>25947124
This.

Sound type would make perfect sense though.
>>
Light type already exists. It's called fairy type.
>>
File: fairy.gif (917B, 32x12px) Image search: [Google]
fairy.gif
917B, 32x12px
>>25947108
It already exist as fairy (type).
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 188x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 188x280px
>>25947149
>>25947191
>>
>>25947311
It may not be completely analogous to Fairy, but Fairy already partially fills that niche and Light at this stage would be mostly superfluous
>>
>>25947108
It's redundantly redundant

>Purity=Light
Fairy/Normal
>Heat=Light
Fire
>Power=Light
Electric

>Any other mysterious force of nature
Dragon
>>
>>25947149
>>25947191
>>25947334
To be honest, Fairy as a type is...how do I describe it? Let's just say that no one mon or move can accurately represent the type as a whole.
>magic based around nature - Togekiss, Florges, Xerneas, Magearna, as well as the moves Aromatic Mist, Fairy Wind, Flower Shield, Geomancy, and Misty Terrain
>moon-based - Clefable, Wigglytuff, Azumarill, as well as the moves Moonblast and Moonlight
>mythological fae/yokai - Barrierd, Granbull, Gardevoir, Mawile, Whimsicott, Carbink (and Diancie by extension), Klefki
>weird lewd shit - the moves Charm, Disarming Voice, Draining Kiss, Play Rough, and Sweet Kiss
>>
>>25947441
This. Even as a "heroic type", I'm sure some other type already fills that role (maybe Dragon or Fighting?)
>>
>>25947148
Sadly im against sound as a type and would argue it would be an interesting status effect
>>
fairy and fighting are both light type.
>>
>>25947149
>>25947191
>>25947334
Name one thing light-related about the Fairy type.
>Dazzling Gleam
The Fairy type comes from the "dazzling" aspect.
>Moonlight
The Fairy type comes from the Moon, not the light.
>>
>>25947487
Definitely Fighting, when you take into account the Musketeer Mons and Fighting's supereffectieness against Evil (Dark) type.
>>
>>25947148
Sound is objectively the best fit in terms of established species and moves, but it really should only be added as a balancing mechanism.
Say what you will about fairies, I feel they did more to balance the types than harm it.
If you can implement sound in a way that does that, good.
What types nees buffs or nurfs now?
Grass obviously, but what else?
>>
>>25947527
It's not about actual light, but rather being the opposite of "dark" type.
Basically purity, beauty, and innocence.
>>
Because a new type is bad idea. It's has been impossible to introduce one unintrusively since Diamond and Pearl, the fact that people are still arguing about what should've been retyped shows this. Dragon as a type isn't cheap. They just have a lot of strong Pokémon. Since the way the meta works is only the strongest 20ish Pokémon get used, 10 if it's the vgc, the sane thing is to make an ice psuedo to dragons trouble, but nope better nerf all non psuedo dragons to shit. Also because of fairy now it's nearly impossible to buff old types without overnerfing others not making sense ... Or making new ones ... Mmm
Or needing the shit out of fairy.

As far light in particular I like the idea of holiness existing outside of types.
>>
>>25947641
*needing the shit
>>
File: LittleFairy-LTGY-EN-C-1E.png (296KB, 300x443px) Image search: [Google]
LittleFairy-LTGY-EN-C-1E.png
296KB, 300x443px
>>25947527
In almost every RPG that has a light element, it doesn't refer to actual literal electromagnetic waves, but rather to holiness and purity.
>>
>>25947505
>>25947569
Only reason I think it'd make sense to begin with is so that abilities such as Soundproof would be easier to explain to the newcomers.
>>
>>25947755
Rather than making sound a new type, I think they should make visual indicators for sound and contact moves like they did for physical and special.
>>
>>25947148
>>25947569
>sound type

Why not smell type then faggots? We have scent moves and scent based abilities. Why shouldn't Vileplume or Aromtisse be a smelly type?
>>
File: Return Home.png (79KB, 268x204px) Image search: [Google]
Return Home.png
79KB, 268x204px
>>25947108
That is beacuse the Dark type is the "Evil" type in Japan
So, a real counter part would be an "Good" type.
And before anyone says fairy, no fairies are assholes or annoying trickters most of the time.
>>
>>25947826
We already have a "heroic" type. It's called Fighting.
>>
>>25947479
I really don't get this argument at all. I've seen it loads, but I just don't think it holds that strongly.

Steel has:
Machine based pokemon: Magnemite, Klink, Beldum
>Armour plated alive things- Foretress, Scizor, Ferrothorn
>Possesed metallic objects: Honedge, Bronzor
>Living things with metallic body feature: Lucario, Bisharp

Poison has:
>Things that are poisonous animals or plants: Arbok,Zubat, gen 1 grass type
>Things that embody the concept of poison: Weezing,Muk
>Weird stuff: Gengar, Nido's

Dragon has:
>Features of classic mythological dragons
>Powerful reptiles
>Odd balls like Altaria

I don't see how drawing from a range of sources is a bad thing, or why having a "mon embody a type" is neccesary.

Even fairly congruent ideas like Fire/Water has
> Things that are made from
>Things that use
>Things that have tagential relation
>Animal that has mastery over.
So i'd struggle to pick one for any of those types either.

Wheras Fairy is;
>Based around Myths and legends (of which the moon plays a very large part, especially in Japan
> Embodies whimsical/ Graceful elements.

Like, those seem to be the only two criterion. Have an association with myths and legends, or embody some otherworldly grace/ whimsy.

Wheras Psychic has:
>Associations with telepathy and telekenisis (PSI) based around intense inner focus (Abra, medicham, Mr Mime, Xatu
>Things that subsist off of mental energy: Drowzee, Munna
>Oddballs: Swoobat, Starmie

But their influences are
>Human like masters of psychic energy
>Myth-like feeders of mental energy
>RL organisms imbued with PSI powers for survival or just because
>Zany things like Wobuffet
>Inanimate made animate: Metagross, Claydol, Chimecho
>Aliens: Beehyem
>Myth like creatures who use psychic typing as a shorthand for being rare and powerful (every legendary.

I don't think Fairy typing is any more off base than the other non-literal types, and isnt' much more so than the literal ones.

Am I missing something?
>>
File: 54094375_p59.png (351KB, 1600x1800px) Image search: [Google]
54094375_p59.png
351KB, 1600x1800px
>>25947836
Except the fighting type is just that in japan.
It refers to martials arts and physical progress
>>
>>25947609
>>25947717
>Mawile
>Whimsicott
>Draining Kiss
>>
>>25947865
Look, I'm not the one in charge of this stuff. The point is that Fairy type is basically the cute little girl in the poofy pink dress type. Think Magical Girl.
>>
>>25947861
And it's also supereffective against what they know of as "Evil" type. Your arguement is invalid.
>>
>>25947569
ice needs a buff in that GF needs to completely overhaul how they design ice types.
>>
>>25947852

>Weird stuff: Gengar, Nido's

Wait, why would the Nidos not fall under "poisonous animals or plants"?
>>
File: 1398318983366.png (140KB, 629x364px) Image search: [Google]
1398318983366.png
140KB, 629x364px
>>25947920
You know, Ice works good offensively.
It is shit defesensivly, why do they insist in making Ice tanks?
Avalugg will never be good ;W;

>>25947852
I am pretty sure that the dex says that the Nido have toxic spikes covering its body and Gengar is made of poisonous gas.
>>
>>25947907
>>25947907
We already have a heroic type. It's called Bug.
>>
>>25947930
I've never been entirely sure what animal Nidoking is meant to be.
It's some sort of dinosaur/ reptile hybrid, but unlike most of those things, I don't really associate either of those things with being poisonous.
Wheras the animal based ones (Snakes/ jellyfish, scorpions, skunks) have at least a clear association with filth if not direct poison. (Filth being another inspiration source for poison)

Also Gulpin should've made its way onto the weird poison list.
>>
>>25947990
>animal Nidoking is meant to be.
A rabbit.

Early Pokemon like Kangaskhan, Rhydon, and Nidoking, were designed to be more dinosaur-ish because they were pocket MONSTERS, but then they dialed back when they realized they would need cute things too.

Thats why they evolve by Moon Stone though, because Japan has a legend about a rabbit on the moon. And why they were the only gendered 'mons in gen 1. No points for getting that subtle joke
>>
>>25947790
Sure
>>
>>25947942
>Because the dex says they have X features

I think this is part of the "Fairy isnt congruent" argument. You can give anything a justification for being Poison by saying "It has poison spikes/ fangs".
Just like you don't need to try to hard to justify the elemental or flying types. It just obvious HAS them

Even psychic, which has a vast array of inspirations, feels thematically because you can just mentally go "it's psychic because it has psychic powers" without really going into what that means.

Fairy doesn't have that, despite being quite tight in my eyes. Not as tight as say, ghost (Literal ghosts, haunted things, immaterial things). But certainly not as loose as Dark (Evil, mistaken for being evil, sneaky scary/ mischeivous, physically powerful/ intimidating)
>>
>>25947108
Anon that's not Sound type.
>>
>>25947790
>smell type
It's Aroma Type, fagbag.
>>
>>25948081
That...makes a suprising amount of sense and sounds really cool if true. Huh.
>>
File: earliest mons.png (42KB, 438x1046px) Image search: [Google]
earliest mons.png
42KB, 438x1046px
>>25948121
Find me what animal half these fuckers are based on

>Lickitung
>Nidoking
>Kangaskhan being remotely anything like a fucking kangaroo
>ivysaur
>Clefairy
>literally what is Cubone marowak is my favorite pre-gen6 mon and I havent the faintest clue what its supposed to be
>all these fucking spikes on nidos, gyarados, even Clefairy the token cutemon, etc.

Not a coincidence at all.
>>
Light type makes no sense, it's already dilluted in Electric, Fairy, Psychic, Grass
>>
Light

Super effective against: Ghost, Dark

Resists: Fire, Electric

Not effective against: Grass (Steel is completely immune)

Weak to: Dark, Grass

I tried
>>
Because:
>Cosmic
>Cyber
Either of these two would be better
>>
>>25948467
Man-made Pokemon are okay every once in a while but an entire type that hinges on that concept is a bit too weird for my tastes
>>
>>25947667
Nerfing fuck Mobile
>>
>>25947108
I liked it before Fairy, but Fairy pretty much takes on the same role.
>>
>>25948467
>Cyber
i just find this word hillairous because every time i hear it i think of 12 something preteens playing habbo hotel doing ERP.
>>
>>25948489
doesn't have to be man-made.
If it were cyber for example, even pokemon like Deoxys could fit.
>>
>>25948512
How so?
>>
>>25948543
its literally born from a virus.
See its pokedex entries
>>
>>25947108
Before the fairy type was introduced I was all for a light type. It made sense and I think we could've seen some cool things done with it.
But now that fairy type exists, a light type would be redundant. Everything that makes up the concept of a light type is already covered by Psychic, Fairy and Fighting, so there really is no reason to make a light type anymore.
The only type that I would be ok with now is a Sound type, but it's pretty unlikely we'll ever see it
>>
>>25948511
I think of people furiously masturbating to each others replies in that AOL chat client before the days of webcams. I can't be the only one right?
>>
>>25948565
Don't you think the
>Based on a Virus
> Which can also mean computer virus
>Therefore cyber.

Isn't more than a little bit tenuous?
I mean, it's entire design motif is DNA.
Heck, its forme names pre Emerald initialised to DNA.
I don't think it really has much business being cyber.
>>
>>25948565
How does that make it cyber?
>>
>>25948599
>>25948600

fair enough

Cosmic then
>>
>>25947569
Buff Grass, Ice and Rock.
>>
File: pepeno151.jpg (84KB, 526x731px) Image search: [Google]
pepeno151.jpg
84KB, 526x731px
I'd prefer it if GF spent more time fixing the type balance without tacking on new ones.
>>
I honestly fail to see how in the world the Fairy type can be seen as a Light type in any way possible. The Fairy type is synonymous with magic, nature and lewd girly shit (no kidding here, actually), which aren't aspects a proper Light type would incorporate.

I imagine the Light type would be about just that; light. Pokémon like the entire Mareep line, Volbeat, Lumineon, Cresselia, Helioptile and Heliolisk (just to name a few) can all go for being Light type as their gimmick is light, reflection and luminescence. Even Lucario could go for being Light type due to its Aura abilities (and finally get rid of its awful Steel typing).

To be completely honest, I think Light is actually one of the most realistic fan-types out there besides Sound and Cosmic. The Fairy type retyped 22 Pokémon when introduced, and doing a quick skim through the National Dex I can count to about 21 that could go for being Light type.

Is it redundant? Yeah, a bit. I mean, we don't NEED it, but there's definitely some great potential for it. It's not a bad suggestion to come up with.
>>
>>25948775
It's doubly redundant as type introductions have always been about rebalancing the type chart above rebalancing above opening up thematic possibilities

>Dark
Reduced Psychics monopoly in the game, as well as added an aditional way to punish the free reign of ghosts.
Gave the very underused Bug and Fighting types a boost by existing

>Steel
Was really to open up the defensive playstyle. Fighting appreciated the extra thing to be SE against and was a good counter measure to toxic.

>Fairy
Stopped Outrage spam in singles
Stopped the outright dominance of Fighting and Dark in VGC (especially scrafty)
Gave an offensive boost to Steel and Poison (Both being such poor coverage, dual types mons with those types were tending not to run them as a STAB option. Now they are mandatory).

So really, the real reason all these theoretical types feel reduntant because noone justifies what they'd be FOR. Sure, they could exist, but you could justify anything as something that could just exist.
But not existing doesn't invalidate mons that use the concept. Noivern and Exploud exist fine without sound type existing. Luxray and Ampharos exist without Light.
Why would the type affect the type chart in an interesting manner? Thats what would make them seem like they'd be justified.

(Also, why would your fan-type be neccesary than less drastic measures. Moves or abilities can do wonders for a type. Psyshock, Knock Off. Ice Shard
One of the reasons I think Ice hasnt got a type buff is they overestimated what Freeze-Dry would do for special Ice types.
And they don't want to buff Ice in general because Weavile and Mamoswine are already very powerful.
>>
>>25949072
> type introductions have always been about rebalancing the type chart above rebalancing above opening up thematic possibilities

Herp derp.
Type introductions are about type chart rebalancing over opening thematic options
>>
>>25949072
I still think that Fairy was way too hard on Dark and Fighting, and bad for bug/psychic. They could have just made Steel>Dragon and Poison>Water, while leaving Dark<Steel and making Fighting completely ineffective against psychic.
>>
>>25947108
>>25947148
>>25948109
>>25948467

We need an Alien Type before a Sound Type, much less a nonsensical Light Type. Psychic was useful to cover them so far, but by now there's enough to make it its own thing.
>>
>>25947148
For Hyper Voice and Boomburst right? Fuck those normal types and -ate abilities that depend on those moves. Basically every single special attacker with those types or abilities.
>>
>>25947108
but I don't hate the light type...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2_wqDnDkQ0

this will explain his reasoning better
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.