[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Normal Type discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: images.jpg (10KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 300x168px
What's your opinion of the Normal Type? Should it get an offensive effectiveness to boost it?
>>
Resists Fairy because normal people don't believe in fairies.
>>
Normals are so shit, Eevee doesn't even evolve into one.
>>
>>25898152
Exactly, there's objectively no point to keeping normal-type moves. Even Dragon moves are at least super-effective against dragons.
>>
>>25898045
>Norman's ace is Watchog because the pose
>Lenora's ace is Kekking
>>
>>25898045
They really suck, and it's mostly a disadvantage to have the type. Stab normal normally sucks, and being normal opens you to fighting weakness (ghosts resist is pointless).

I don't really think they should change them though. Pokemon is an RPG first, competitive fighting game much further down the road. It's nice to have a plain type like that both to use, and fight against in game.
>>
File: 1407531932493.gif (212KB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
1407531932493.gif
212KB, 525x525px
>>25898307
>Norman from gen 3
>Watchog from gen 5
>>
>>25898045
Normal sucks, and Gamefreak knows it...which is why they're slowly replacing the type with new ones. First Fairy, then Sound.
>>
I don't think it needed to be nve against steel. It has some nice stab moves like return, extremespeed, and fake out, but it needs a little more to make it as efficient as the other types.
>>
File: 1398182671910.jpg (9KB, 238x180px) Image search: [Google]
1398182671910.jpg
9KB, 238x180px
>>25898045
>It's the non-elemntal Type! It's neutral towards all other Types!

Oh! That sounds like a great concept. Never too powerful, but never at a disadvantage. I like it!

>It's immune to Ghosts and Ghosts are immune to it!

Uh. Well, it's still neutral in the end. Makes for an interesting quirk. Will make battles using both Ghost and Normal Types interesting.

>It's weak to Fighting Type attacks!

...kinda defeats the point.
I guess it's not too bad. One weakness isn't that bad, and it can compensate with good attacks and flexibility.

>It's Not Very Effective against Rock!

But that's not...

>It's Not Very Effective against Steel!

>>
>>25898045
ORAS Norman was pretty hot.

Damn.
>>
Normal is my favorite type in Pokémon because it reminds me of the underdog-type of characters
Also PorygonZ is my favorite of all time
>>
File: SOUNDTYPE.jpg (430KB, 888x800px) Image search: [Google]
SOUNDTYPE.jpg
430KB, 888x800px
>>25898630
I like that Sound has some theoretical support now. I remember a time when people would say I was crazy for suggesting it.
>>
>>25898980
Original was better, his legs weren't Bayonetta level and he had a stronger chin game.
>>
>>25899321
>uses a pendant for hypnosis
>sound
what the fuck
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 250x196px
>>25898946
Normal =\= Neutral
Think of humans as normal type, we have no special power. We cant hurt rocks, metals or ghosts. Ghosts cant hurt us. If you pick a fight with a fighting man, he's gonna kick your ass. Normal is a nothing type, not a neutral type
>but then why isn't it week to poison?
Because you're a faggot
>>
>>25899530
Also, i think normal should resist grass and be immune to fairy
>>
>>25898354
You don't get the joke.
>>
>>25899400
I'm sorry
>>
Just started a normal type run on X. So far got litleo, smeargle, skitty, bunnelby, doduo and azurill. Anyone have any recomendations for something better? The litleo so far seems to be the strongest.
>>
>>25899716
Yeah! Let's make Grass even worse when it's already bad! That's a great idea!
>>
>>25900079
Switch in an Exploud or Snorlax. Certainly better than bottom of the barrel shitmons like Delcatty and Azurill, assuming you can't evolve itinto Marill.
>>
>>25900162
Yeah I'm on the fence about azurill losing normal typing. Probably will switch it out.
>>
>>25900079
Sentret/Furret mothafucka
>>
>>25899716

Fuck you for even suggesting the first one, but Normal resisting Fairy would be thematically appropriate and give them another niche.
>>
>>25898346
That's strange considering VGC and The Pokemon Championships. You think they would host official larping sessions instead.

Also, it's a franchise before its an RPG
>>
>>25898045
>>25898045
It should resist fairy and be super effective against that shit. I'm all for the dark/fighting/dragon nerf they introduced with fairy, but only having two weaknesses which don't have very many offensive users is really obnoxious.
>>
>>25899321
I think Voltorb and Electrode could work too, what with soundproof.
>>
>>25898045
As a Normal-Type user, I can say that most of them are pretty good tanks with good coverage in their move pools for pretty much anything you go up against.
>>
>>25900138
>>25900410
I didn't mean they should, but it would make sense. Plants don't hurt. And why should it matter? The type system is already fucked up
>>
>>25900508
I was thinking they might take a page from Monster Hunter and make Blast its own type, with Voltorb/Electrode being flagship retypes.
>>
>>25898079
This. Should also be SE against Fairies. That way Normal is now truly balanced, having at least 1 type in its matchups.
>>
>>25899040
same

That and bug type.

Normal type kicks ass
>>
>>25899321
You're retarded for suggesting it.
>>
>>25899321
You forgot Mismagius/Misdreavus. They're based on banshees, which are spirits known for screaming and making spooky noises. Their pokedex entries mention this.
>>
>>25898946
always thought the weaknesses and resistances kinda defeated the purpose of a neutral type

Though I suppose with mega khan and eviolite chansey running around removing those is probably impossible at this point
>>
>>25903063
Sorry, Fairy-type called dibs
>>
File: Wario_pacha.png (131KB, 560x582px) Image search: [Google]
Wario_pacha.png
131KB, 560x582px
>>25899321
>I bet its loud
>>
>>25900577

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/being-stung-by-the-gympie-gympie-tree-is-the-worst-kind-of-pain-you-can-imagine.html

You are a wee bit wrong, anon. Plants can absolutely hurt.
>>
Steel and Dark have been represented in the starters. Will Sun & Moon have the first secondary Fairy starter? Which one will it be?
>>
have you ever noticed that normal types look really weird like lickitung?
>>
>>25898630
I've been brainstorming Sound a lot lately but seem to have run into an issue, figured I'd post it here:

Normal has 66 Physical moves and 19 Special moves, but 7 of those special moves would become Sound type:
Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Hyper Voice, Relic Song, Round, Snore, Uproar

Only 12 special moves would remain Normal type:
Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Judgment, Razor Wind, Sonic Boom, Spit Up, Swift, Techno Blast, Tri Attack, Trump Card, Wring Out, Weather Ball

Of those Judgment and Techno Blast are exclusive to Arceus and Genesect; Sonic Boom does set damage (and might become Sound also), while Hidden Power isn't really a Normal move, leaving us with only 8.

Are we really okay with Normal only having 8 accessible special moves, yet 66 Physical moves? On the other hand, this could spur them to make a bunch of good special Normal moves in compensation.

In addition, do we change the type of the other sound-based, non-Normal moves, like Bug Buzz, Chatter, Disarming Voice, Parting Shot and Snarl? Do we make them "Dual-type" moves like Flying Press?

Note that disregarding Status moves that would become Sound-type, since Normal has like a hundred of those: Confide, Grass Whistle, Growl, Metal Sound, Noble Roar, Perish Song, Roar, Screech Sing, and Supersonic.

>>25899321
Noivern I am unsure about. He's Flying first, and has a lot of Dragon influence... I think he'd just be one of those Pokemon that learns a lot of a type but isn't that type himself.

Jigglypuff I can't see being retconned twice. I expect it to stay Normal/Fairy permanently.

The Stretch ones would all never be sound Pokemon.
>>
>>25905697
>Everyone wants a sound-type
How would you even have physical sound moves then?

If you ask me, if we get a new type it should be Bullet-type.

Anything blocked by Bulletproof is Bullet-type
>>
>>25905723
That's a good point; I figure Sound types would have a few Physical moves based on vibration, but not too many, similar to how Fighting has very few Special moves (5, but one is exclusive to Keldeo, and one is Final Gambit; the others are Vacuum Wave and two bullet moves).

Perhaps something like:
* Vibro Punch/Kick
* Resonating Yell (user makes sound at a frequency that makes the user's body vibrate; maybe uses Special Attack but the target's physical Defense)
* A Sound-type Earthquake (including still damaging Dig users more)
>>
File: 1413428077268.jpg (13KB, 195x188px) Image search: [Google]
1413428077268.jpg
13KB, 195x188px
>>25898045
>should it get an offensive effectiveness to boost it?
NOOOOOOO
>Mega Kangaskhan
>>
>>25898079
>>25899530
>>25899716
>>25900410

I'm just sort of passing through, but I'd like to voice my support for Normal being resistant to Fairy.

That's a real fuckin' neato idea and I especially like the simplistic beauty of it from a thematic level of "not believing in fairies" just like how Normal is immune to ghost, etc.
>>
>>25898045
Should be immune to Fairy. Fairy needs to be checked.
>>
>>25905975
I have to say I enjoy the idea of Xerneas being checked by Rattata.
>>
>>25899321
You forgot Audino and Poltoed
>>
File: 250px-493Arceus.png (47KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-493Arceus.png
47KB, 250x250px
Normal type is essentially just the "Light'' or ''Neutral'' type.

It represents a spot for Pokemon who primarily, in our real world, would just be animals. House cats, lions, dogs, birds, monkeys. These creatures are Pokemon, yeah, so they are capable of learning a wide variety of magical elemental moves, but they lack a specific ELEMENT themselves that makes them.

Even for Normal types that aren't just animals, they lack an element. And that's what Pokemon is, a game of elements. But if you have no element, you're not going to have many strengths, and you're not going to have many weaknesses. You're just a blank sheet for mild battle potential. Normal represents a spot for creatures that can't be in any of the defining ''types''. Either by design, or simple on purpose.
>>
>>25905975
This, Fairy needs being completely uneffective to something. Normal is a good candidate, as Normal is not affected by Ghost, it should be immune to Fairy ("don't believe in Ghosts or Fairies, thus being immune to their powers")

I am still mad at the inclusion of Fairy type. If dragons were such a problem, just nerf them fuck, don't introduce a type that fucks completely up with the balance.

Grass, Bug, Ice, Fighting and Dark were direct or indirectly nerfed just to nerf fucking dragons. And they didn't need to be.

>InB4, b-but steel and poison were buffed offensively
That means you are obligated to carry a Steel or Poison move just to deal with fairies, and those moves don't have good coverage so it's centralizing. Also, there's two fucking annoying Steel/Fairy, so that means they are either immune or take neutral damage to the only Fairy weaknesses.

Fairy type was a mistake. Should they just make Steel suppereffective to Dragon (as a Knight Sword defeating a dragon) or even Poison (poisoning a dragon, like the Japanese myth of Yamata no Orochi) and things would be ok, without the need of Faggot-type and nerfing 5 other types out the ass.

Removing Ghost AND Dark resistances from Steel was also amistake. Take one or the other, but not the two of them.

Jesus Gamefreak
>>
>>25906758

I don't think Fairy Type itself as an IDEA was a mistake. In my opinion, there NEEDED to be a spot for the ''cute pink blob'' Pokemon that filled the Pokedex, and a direct counter to Dragon was in my opinion, essential.

But I agree that they completely fucked up when executing it. Steel and Poison aren't good enough counters and they obviously fucking knew that, and they didn't even go about putting all the pink blobs in the Fairy Typing, only about half of them were converted. Blissey even has Fairy wings for gods sake.

It's like they literally knew they were making a Mary Sue type, but they thought ''nah lmao they're cute so they deserve to be hard to battle! what a riveting meme!''
>>
>>25898045
I'd be happy with just better BST for a lot of normals, especially on the special attack side. It'd be nice to see them able to use those deep move pools.

Normal resisting fairy is also a good call.
>>
File: piN0G3D[1].jpg (44KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
piN0G3D[1].jpg
44KB, 500x417px
>>25906748

I mean if we want to REALLY get into the themes and animism going on in pokemon:

Normal also represents a kind of purity in form and a respect towards the 'mundane' and a strength in it's consistency. Normal types are immune to ghost types because they don't "believe in ghosts" as one Anon put it and that's a big part of what "Normal Types" are about.

I was about to say I'd be really interested in Gamefreaks attempt at a Normal Legendary pokemon but remembered ARCEUS is a normal type and to ME that just further cements that the 'normal typing' is all about PURITY.

So what are Fairies weak against?
Steel, Poison and Fire: Industry. Modernization. MAN BRINGS FIRE.

What are Fairies strong against?
Dark, Dragon, Bug and Fighting: Good Triumphing over evil? Fairy Tales "kill" Dragons? Fairies hate Bugs? I dunno, Bug and Fighting don't actually make much sense.

But anyway the point is: Normal should be immune to Fairy.
Fairies aren't real.
>>
>>25906909
Fairies are not weak to Fire. If only, that would be they would be affected by a commonly used offensive type and they wouldn't run so rampant. Also, people would use Klefki and Mawile a lot less with a 4x weakness.

Unless you are counting resistances and all that to determine what is "weak" to other things. In that case, ok.
>>
>>25906909
Fairy is SE against Fighting because "magic": fairies tend to use (often silly) magical tricks against the hero of a story. This is in contrast to Dark type, which are specifically malevolent fairies, which are always defeated by the honorable character (and so Dark is weak to fighting). That is also probably why Fairy is SE against Dark (good v evil) and Dragon (magic beats pure strength).

I have yet to figure out the rational for Fairies (or Ghosts for that matter) taking half damage from Bugs, however.
>>
>>25906933
>Unless you are counting resistances and all that to determine what is "weak" to other things. In that case, ok.

This one, Anon.
Though I'm not opposed to them being 'actually' weak to fire and completely agree with this sentiment:
>Also, people would use Klefki and Mawile a lot less with a 4x weakness.
I'm not strictly into pokemon for the competative battles, but even >I< understand and can relate to the fucking uphill battle that is STEEL and FAIRY.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.