[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VGC General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: vgc_logo.jpg (19KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
vgc_logo.jpg
19KB, 300x200px
Discuss strats, team builds, and metagame here.
VGC-oriented calculator: http://nuggetbridge.com/damagecalc/
People who have content:
Wolfe Glick's youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OZkS1Mhl5UvKSiPrYqsxg
Aaron "Cybertron" Zhang's youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYoTO-akZCsiusTe4rBxfhA

Topic of discussion- Have you seen Wolfe's expose lecture on Smeargle? How do you feel about it? Do you agree or disagree?
>>
>There will never be 6v6
>>
Does anyone have the OPs we would post in the old threads?
>>
File: VGC.jpg (102KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
VGC.jpg
102KB, 600x397px
>>25877477
>ToD
You mean this, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpPrc87js5Q&list=PLb_5fF_O3FvhdT4jtKdNIJqAV_OMxK_ec
I agree 100% with him. As far as the mentality part goes, you have to accept that you have to git gud to win. If you get crit or flinched, you put yourself in the opportunity for that to happen.
>>
>>25877512
A 6v6 VGC year could be pretty interesting

I'm not getting back into it until they fix the ruleset though, this year's meta is just ridiculously overcentralized.
>>
File: autism.gif (68KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
68KB, 500x293px
>>25877664
this fucking video
>>
>>25878576
Wolfey is great, man.
>>
Best VGC youtuber = Baz Anderson - cool guy, fun teams, great player
>>
>>25878576
Why do you say that?
>>
>>25878665
I've been meaning to check him out.
Fuck Alex Ogloza. He's pretty much quit VGC iirc.
>>
>>25877477
>not including based Markus
>>
Guys, use Ylveltal. He's fucking monsterous.
>>
>>25878677
Baz , Wolfey and Cybertron are the best 3 I've come across. If anyone knows any other good vgc tubers please share
>>
>>25878711
Alongside what?
>>
>>25878728
I keep meaning to start a channel, but I just never get around to it.
Partially because I have no capture card and no true VGC player would want to watch my Showdown matches as much as Cybertron's Road to Ranked.
>>
>>25878728
German player Markus Stadter (13yoshi37) has had some good stuff this season, although he hasn't been active in the last couple weeks :/
>>
>>25878729
Liepard is great for support and adds power too its Foul Play.
Steels help with type balancing.
An adamant Knock off from Yveltal will OHKO ANY Cress.
>>
>>25878750
I meant more in terms of what other restricted mon and what speed control. I tried Yveltal/Groudon with tailwind support from Salamence for a little while, but I found it kind of underwhelming.
>>
>>25878750
>An adamant Knock off from Yveltal will OHKO ANY Cress.
I'm sorry, that's not true. I don't know what I was thinking saying that.
But it will OHKO most.
>>25878767
my team actually doesn't use my PGrou much. Anything you can find good synergy with I guess. Maybe MRay for Delta Stream may work.
>>
>>25878742
It would be impossible to match Cybertron's numbers when you're just starting out, but does it have to be about that? If you are a good player and have good/informative content you can probably carve out a decent audience.

>>25878743
Yeah, I've seen some of his stuff and it is pretty good, such a shame he stopped making them. Hopefully he comes back soon
>>
>>25878786
No, it really doesn't. But still as I said all I can do is Showdown videos or like slide shows or something. No Battlespot with live commentary. I COULD send vids to my mate who has a cap card, but I wonder if that'd be interesting or not, post game commentary.
>>
>>25878857
I feel like people only really care about post-game if it's for matches that were significant, like top cut at a live event. Showdown isn't bad for vids, and slide shows could be great if you can do them well. That's actually something that I wish Cybertron would do more of again.
>>
>>25878906
Well shit man, you've convinced me. Hell, I might even try to setup a livestream right now.
>>
>>25878906
Slide shows can be good if they are informative, and showdown can be used to put what you said into practice. There seems to be a lack of people analyzing the meta, thinking of potential counters and new strats and putting them on video. Just don't expect to reach high numbers/popularity soon, it might takes several months or even more than a year.
>>
>>25878938
Name maybe? If not have you top cut/done well at an event?
>>
>>25879858
I'm not well known at all. Played VGC for 1.5 years, gotten high but not top cut any regionals, have top cut every PC I've went to this season though
>>
>>25878623
I really don't like him. He knows what he's trying to say but he just occasionally sounds like a fucking retard.
>>
>>25880397
He fumbles, and his jokes/"acting" does sometimes come off as cringy, but to be honest I sort of see myself acting the same way, so I give him a pass a bit. Wish he knew better than not have Momma Glick end up popping in every other episode though.
>>
>>25878857
Are capture cards really the only way to do it? Kinda annoying to have to send my 3DS off so someone else can do it.
>>
>watching sutton coldfield regionals
>tranny enters stream
>everyone on chat gets banned if they aren't sucking xir dick
I hate the NB clique so much
>>
>>25881787
link to stream?
>>
>>25881866
twitch/derpanite
>>
>>25881787
I don't mind rena and I think he's a good commentator but jesus christ his hair is SHIT
>>
This year has easily been the worst I've seen for VGC in my whole life.

The format is cancerous. Say whatever you want about git gud or lol just adapt or people play to win any other variations but it doesn't make it any less true. If you thought genies was bad Primals is 10 times worse with the cherry on top of the cake that is Dark Void Smeargle that no one fucking knows why Dark Void has not been banned yet after 3 entire years of people bitching and bitching and bitching about it. , I'm not even gonna mention Big 6 but this has to be the most centralized Pokemon format I've ever seen in my entire life. It's simply not fun to play. That events are not pulling even half the numbers they pulled last year speaks lots of how the userbase is reaction it to it. The game is not attractive to either spectators or even the people who actually play the game and wouldn't care about things like centralization and same-y teams in other cases.

>>25881787
This shit too. The community has become one massive circlejerk. If you aren't part of the "inside group" you will be ostracized even if you have something to back yourself up.

And last but not least TCPi and Gamefreak simply don't give a fuck about VGC. IE: The Dark Void situation. Letting Primals roam free instead of counting them as a Mega too. Or just legends in general, and yes I know not all legends are good, but just one soft-ban in a only 2 legends per team or something like that would do wonders for everything. Spectators would be happies because more variety, players would have to start to think outside the box thanks to that. Restrictions breeds creativity and that I believe was one of the reasons VGC14 was such a fun year, because of the limited dex making people use shit they wouldn't at all if not for that.

I'm passing on playing this year, even at randoms because even those have become unfun. I just hope things become better for when S/M happen.
>>
>>25879870
If you are a no name then don't bother. Much less if all you will do is make shoddy showdown videos. No one watches those, much less if they are from a nobody.

Either make a real name for yourself before trying or make a lol so random youtuber personality to attract retards and kids. Otherwise, I'd recommend you to not waste your time.
>>
I've been playing VGC for 6 years now, and this really is the worst format. I'm all for people bringing creative teams (I brought Throh to last year's Seattle regional as a hard counter to M-Kangaskhan) but this year's format is designed around Kyogre, Groudon, Xerneas, and Smeargle.

I'm slowly losing interest in the format and it's pretty clear why.
>>
>>25882002
The low attendance numbers is most likely because of the stupid entry fees and worthless prices for the winners. I've talked to a lot of people that stopped going to tournaments, and I can tell you, 2/3 if them will say what I just told you.
>>
>>25882327
The entry fees and shitty prizes have always been there though. If you want a free tournament, go to a nationals.
>>
>>25882259
I blame the Primals more than anything.

Mega Ray Ray? He balances itself.

You wanna use him? You can't use another Mega.
He hits like a truck? Certainly, but only one side, he can't sweep with just spread moves.
He's a glass cannon. He hits hard, but he dies to a breeze.

The only thing I'd argue is truly broken about him

The Primals though? They completely neuter entire playstyles.

They are basically a requirement for any team. I've yet to see a top-cutting team without them (Correct me if I'm wrong on this one) look at how all teams are composed of Primal + Legend. Legend + Legend is pretty much not an option anymore-

Weather Wars. They completely deny Sand and
Hail from having a chance of existence. Let us remember how Abomasnow used to be a top-pick back in 2011 because of how it countered Groudon and Kyogre and their weather. Charizard-Y and Tyranitar have been denied a chance of being used thanks to Primal Weather being so strong.

They are practically a second free slot Mega. You can use them alongside any other mega. Why wouldn't you want TWO megas on your team with the extra free one having 780BST?

Smeargle, cancerous as he is, has always been dealt with one way or another every year. We all know we'd be better without him but he on his own is manageable.

Xerneas is pretty cancerous in itself but I'd say that's more of a case of the circumstances of the format than him being truly broken. He'd be so much easier to deal with if you wouldn't have to worry about the Primals fucking your shit up or Smeargle sleeping your shit up if you decide to focus on him instead. There's way too much stuff to realistically deal with.
>>
>>25882390
>He's a glass cannon. He hits hard, but he dies to a breeze.
>105/100/100 bulk
>glass cannon
what
>>
>>25879870
go for it
>>
>>25882002
the huge circlejerk is the main reason why I stopped posting to nb. Thankfully there are other, non-cancerous places to go.
>>
>>25882653
Such as?

/vp/ is shit and smogon's VGC forum is half dead.
>>
>>25882441
His typing isn't that good defensively, even with Delta Streams, not to mention that you always need to go max speed and attack(s).
>>
>>25882670
/vgc/ is even deader than Smogon's forum. Tell us your secrets senpai. We will behave. Honestl
>>
So... when does the suffering end?
When can there no longer be a "This is the meta and you will use it or you are a terrible little shit"
I haven't cared much for just using your favorite Pokemon, but there are actual good Pokemon that people can use instead of always using the Brawl Metaknight of Pokemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKhpE-oNoGY
>>
>>25883070
When you invent something better.

Metagames exist because that's what's best to use and people want to win.
>>
can we all agree Pokemon will always be utter shit on competitive side ? It's basically impossible to buff/nerf all pokemons at this point

Also how do I git gud with RayOgre ? Sadly my rayquaza is modest so I only have 2 move slots
>>
>>25883287
>Also how do I git gud with RayOgre ? Sadly my rayquaza is modest so I only have 2 move slots
First, you get a rayquaza that isn't complete shit.
>>
File: 1399406287394.png (526KB, 1077x919px) Image search: [Google]
1399406287394.png
526KB, 1077x919px
damn that guy's good
>>
Was at the Sutton Coldfield VGC today, had a blast. Didn't make the cut but had a lot of fun battles, and made a No Fun Allowed guy rage by beating him. Good times.

I agree though, Primals made things a fucking joke. EVERY team I fought had at least one, three of them had both. What a crock of shit. Didn't bother to stay to watch all the top cut battles after I realised it was just Primal vs Primal all day erry day.

Only saw one Smeargle though (shut it down with Taunt), and not a single Xerneas.
>>
File: 1408329920181.gif (638KB, 339x233px) Image search: [Google]
1408329920181.gif
638KB, 339x233px
>Next year the ruleset includes banning of all Pokemon classified as Legendary (RIP Arcanine) as well as any moves designed to be "exclusive" to Legendary pokemon
>yfw
>>
>>25883956
nah I want SM dex only

heavily restricted metas always end up being the best because it lowers the average power output level, meaning more niche stuff and crazy strategies can shine
>>
>>25883964
How many metas like that have you even played?
>>
>>25884198
'14 and all of the weird battle spot competition metas
>>
>>25884198
2011 was pretty interesting and varied too, although that may be partly because the playerbase was so casual back then that only a fraction of players had access to RNG'd genies/musketeers.
>>
>>25885782
2011 was the first advent of genies coupled with Amoongus and Terrakion + Beat Up Whimsicott everywhere. I feel the dex was too small back then.

I do agree things were much more chill back then.

2014 hit the perfect middle-zone. Neither too big or too small to the point the choices are the most obvious ones because of too much freedom or too much restriction.
>>
>>25882670
>>25882861
Stunfisk is at least somewhat active but isn't as big of a circlejerk as nb. Hell even some of the more established players like bopper come to pay a visit sometimes. Sure it's on reddit and say what you want on that but it's separated from the rest of leddit
>>
>>25887770
>reddit
>not a circejerk
anything with reputation points attached to posts or users is automatically a circlejerk
>>
>>25887831
You don't get much karma on stunfisk at all compared to the rest of reddit so there isn't much of a point incentive for posing. Being point rich on nb means having 3000 points(which pretty much only constitutes only mods, staff and admins) but on reddit being point rich requires over 100ks, which is far, far less than what most stunfisk users have.
>>
>>25883483
who?
>>
>>25882002
NB becoming more and more of a circlejerk is definitely true; every time I see people talking about whether a certain strategy, Pokémon etc. is viable, the response isn't "It counters [Pokémon] well and has been used consistently...", the response is "Well, [Nugget Bridge admin] used it and he knows far more than me (please notice me senpai)"

It's weird because I know several of Nugget Bridge's founders hated Smogon for exactly that shit back when that was the biggest VGC forum
>>
>>25892038
Yeah I noticed that in the regionals stream yesterday when they said about how Baz Anderson is a creative master spearheading the Gravity/Hypnosis combo with Sableye and Mega Gengar, yet people including Serebii have been using it for years. Serebii even took it to Nationals last year.

They just care about promoting their friends and that's that.
>>
>>25881787
The irony here is that she's pretty much the most anti-feminist person I've ever met. She's actually legit MRA.
>>
>>25893412
Honestly, if I were a tranny too I'd do my best to get away from all those feminist fucktards. Those types are borderline-cults. I'd just would like to enjoy my life in peace if I had my titties I wanted so much and could wear cute clothes freely.
>>
File: thisformatisdicks.jpg (207KB, 636x935px) Image search: [Google]
thisformatisdicks.jpg
207KB, 636x935px
I'm coming back to VGC after being out for awhile, I'm using this team in this post but I can't seem to find a 6th that fills a spot not already covered. Maybe some kind of Mawile counter?
>>
>>25894115
Maybe Arcanine? Not too well versed in VGC 16.

What do you people usually do against Neo-CHALK? I thought of something insane but it feels too gimmicky to work.
>>
>>25894139
>I thought of something insane but it feels too gimmicky to work.
Tell us fag
>>
>>25894153
Like I said, not too well versed in VGC 16, I just thought of this shit in the shower.

I like using Wide Guard Probopass in last year's meta so I was thinking how the hell could I shoehorn my bro into VGC 16? I thought I'd definetely need Kyogre to hit PDon, since Precipice Blades is not a good thing here, but I still had no idea what to do for Xerneas+Smeargle leads.

Then I thought of Lum/Chesto on Probopass + Mega Mewtwo Y for Insomnia. Xerneas can't really KO Probopass unless it reveals surprise Focus Blast, Turn 1 if they do the usual then Smeargle goes down to sash and Xern is paralyzed and ready to get hit by Psystrike

tl;dr a shitty Probopass/Kyogre/Mewtwo core that would probably be fun to try but it would fall flat.
>>
>>25893412
Pretty much every tranny I've met who just wants everyone to fuck off and let them be as their new gender instead of trying to get attention off it is like that. They're usually pretty cool.
>>
>>25894694
The Internet really warps one's point of view. Specially on sites like 4chan where we keep seeing undesirable people 24/7. There's cool and shitty people out of all classes and types, the thing is that we usually don't see the cool ones on the net, because the cool ones aren't attention whoring 24/7 with their imaginary narratives.
>>
>Playing double primal
>Weak as shit to Yveltal
>Actually considering swapping Cress for M-Audino to help with this
Is this the greatest tech or dumbest thing ever?
>>
>>25897010
consider m-garde instead

m-garde on double primal teams has been thrown around on a few different places, I feel like it can work
>>
How are people usimg Yveltal to shit on double primals. I tried Weakness Policy Yveltal alongside of Mega Mawile and Liepard back when the format first started, but im a shitter that couldnt git gud.

Is there some new strategy that is working pretty well?
>>
>>25897619
snarl kyogres
foul play groudons and landoruses

it's a kind of offensive support... it won't be sweeping teams by itself, but it does enough damage that your opponent can't ignore it
>>
>>25897838
Foul play+ swagger is one of the few ways to ohko groudon without using kyogre
>>
>>25897878
yep

yveltal pairs well with liepard or thundy for that
>>
Is there any way to make either normal or mega Slowbro useful?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.