[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's rye-ko, not rye-koo.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 243Raikou[1].png (897KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
243Raikou[1].png
897KB, 1280x1280px
It's rye-ko, not rye-koo.
>>
Then why did they put a 'u' at the end?
>>
>>25849750
OU is the romanizaton of おう, which is essentially just a long O sound, not all that different from the doubled OO / おお.
>>
>>25849750
Because it's Japanese.
>>
>>25849750
"ou" is one of the ways to romanize the Japanese long "O"
The other way to do it is "ō", but most people can't be arsed to find how to type it.
>>
It's Raichu you fuckwad
>>
>>25849781
Then they Romanized it wrong. When translating you should spell stuff the way it would make sense for the people you're translating it for. That's why it's so hard for westerners to learn Chinese, because they spell "zh" to say "Juh". Why not just spell it with a "J" instead of that "zh" nonsense, it's like it was only done to confuse people.
>>
How is it pronounced in games with announcers?
>>
>>25849781
No it's name is ライコウ, Ra, I, Ko, U.
>>
>>25849813
お = O - an "oh" sound
う = U - an "oo" sound
If you make the sounds "oh" and "oo" quckly together you basically get a longer O sound. It's only confusing if you go in thinking that combining vowels changes how they're pronounced.

>>25849847
Well yeah, but I don't think anon is leaning kana, so I was keeping things simpler without mentioning consonant+vowel kana.
>>
>>25849899
>Well yeah, but I don't think anon is leaning kana, so I was keeping things simpler without mentioning consonant+vowel kana.

Fair enough, though I suppose 皇 or 公 would make a bit more sense personally.
>>
>>25849899
Combining vowels totally changes how it's pronounced. "You" and "Yoh" are nothing alike. No one in their right mind would think they are interchangeable sounds.
>>
>>25849928
Japanese doesn't work the same way as English does. Hell sometimes you'll hear people say the same word different in Japan. Sometimes they'll say the U part of an Ou and sometimes they wont.
>>
>>25849945
Yes, but we're translating it into English, so the translations should use English rules and spelling, not Japanese.
>>
>>25849813
The "kou" in Raikou makes enough sense to westerners who actually know how to read.

'kou" isn't "ku", "kuu", "koo", or "kew"

Haven't you ever seen the words "boulder", "bourbon", "Missouri", "Melbourne",

If anything, maybe it'd make sense to see it as "ow", like in "South", "Pound", "cloud", etc.

"Rai" is the only part I've seen people struggle with. Sometimes they see it as "ray" or "ree"

English syllable spelling/pronunciation is a mess and Hepburn Romanization is about as good as you can get to transliterating Japanese in an understandable way.

At least they don't romanize a "sha" sound as "sya".
>>
>>25849988
That's not how romanization works, or would you for example say Nay-roo-toe? Because that would be by English rules. Or Luhf-fye or Kay-mine-uh.
>>
>>25849988
Any kind of language romanization should follow consistent rules, but English is really inconsistent.

We'll pronounce some letters differently depending on whether they appear at the beginning, middle, or end of a word. We'll sometimes pronounce some vowels differently based on which consonants appear before or after. Almost all of our vowel combinations have multiple different pronunciations depending on the word's origin.

Is "ah" supposed to be read like in "nah"? Or "Utah"?
>>
>>25850171
Don't forget English has also words spelled the same yet sound completely different, they have words spelled different than sound the same, they've got words that all mean the same thing but completely sound differently depending on context usage.

English is a clusterfuck of a language, there is a reason it's hard as fuck to learn for non-native speakers.
>>
File: 130.png (35KB, 160x142px) Image search: [Google]
130.png
35KB, 160x142px
ギャラドス/Gyarados is apparently pronounced like gair-uh-dos. I have no idea how that works.

"Gya" makes sense in Japanese, but is there any way to actually make it interpretable by English-speakers?

[code]$ grep -i 'gy[aeiou]' /usr/share/dict/words
Magyar
Magyar's
Magyars
Pyongyang
Pyongyang's[/code]

Those are the only words in my dictionary with "gy" followed by a vowel. Very few English speakers should recognize any of them. Of them, only Magyar actually uses "gy" for one syllable.
>>
File: CherenB2W2.png (80KB, 227x600px) Image search: [Google]
CherenB2W2.png
80KB, 227x600px
It's "Cheren" not "Sheren".Why so many people pronounce his name as "Sheren"?It comes from чepeн(Bulgarian for black).The word is romanized properly and you can't mispronounce the "ch" sound.
>>
>>25849722
It's Raikou. Go watch the Garo anime from last season (protip: it was bad), the MC was named Raikou, so you will finally learn how to pronounce japanese.
>>
File: 243.png (9KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
243.png
9KB, 120x120px
>>
File: mojo.png (256KB, 714x429px) Image search: [Google]
mojo.png
256KB, 714x429px
>Ray-quay-zuh
>Ray-quan-zuh
>>
>>25850450
They just like to be French.
>>
>>25850450
>Bulgarian
Here is your problem, nobody care about your east european shithole language
>>
>>25849813
They didn't romanize anything wrong you mongoloid. Chinese is easy when you're talking about the pinyin. Its literally one of the easiest parts of the language. Zh is there because its a distinct sound with different rules than a J, which they also have. X and Sh and then Q and Ch act the same.

For example: Qi is a "ch" + "e" sound, like the first half of cheese. Chi is a "ch" + "-er" sound, like in Chirp without the p. Qi and Chi are wildly different, and so you can't just make the Q a Ch, or the Zh a J.

Also, what Chinese romanization methods tell me, is Rai will rhyme with Why, and Kou will rhyme with Oh. Which is, incidentally, how I was pronouncing it over a decade before I learned Chinese.
>>
>>25850282
It's seemed pretty straightforward that all you have to do is pronounce it something like G'Yar-a-dos

>>25851986
>Ray-Kwanza
>>
File: Weather_.jpg (48KB, 430x350px) Image search: [Google]
Weather_.jpg
48KB, 430x350px
> Mfw people pronounce it Rye-olu instead of Ree-olu
>>
>>25853997
more like riYOLO
>>
File: AAAAA.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAA.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>You like "Eggs-Atoo"? Thats the bird pokemon right?
>Mfw
>>
Is it You-nother or You-no-va?
>>
>>25854099
I say "Ooh-nova".
>>
>>25849722
ray koo
>>
>>25849828
PBR says rye-koo
>>
>>25849722
Ray-COW
>>
>>25854129
I would honestly slap someone if they said this in front of me
>>
ho ho
>>
>>25850009
Ah, Mis-o-ree, my favorite state.
>>
>>25850009
>bowl-der
>burr-bin
>mis-ore-e
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.