[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Spain and Italy decide to cuck themselves into using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

File: lg.jpg (556KB, 769x3090px) Image search: [Google]
lg.jpg
556KB, 769x3090px
Why did Spain and Italy decide to cuck themselves into using English names rather than making their own like France and Germany?

I mean, I can understand why non-countries like Sweden or Poland won't, but fucking Spain and Italy?
>>
>>25829116
>non-countries
>poland

Answer: Italy is a pussy, Spain is weird.

KURWA WIEDŹMIN
>>
There's that word again.
>>
>>25829116
>Poliwhirl is clearly a frog

Not, Everyone in that line is a Tadpole except Politoed.
>>
Spaghetti here. My guess is that since Spanish and Italian translations of Nintendo games were almost unheard of back then (with French and German ones being more widespread), they decided not to overdo it with one of their first big localization efforts, thus keeping the names the same. Even gym leaders and Elite Four names were left untouched, while they almost always got localized from gen 2 on.

Also, having different Pokémon names just gets needlessly confusing and is a hassle for merchandising which also requires to be localized in that case.
>>
>>25829138
Are you triggered?
I'm glad the filter on the word "cuck" was removed desu senpai
>>
File: 640.jpg (149KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
149KB, 640x905px
>Akwakwak

Literally me
>>
>>25829116
"schlurp is the German word for 'schlurp'"
>>
>>25829116
>Bulbizarre
Shit, that is a perfect localization of Fushigidane. Props.
>>
So Italian don't have to bother to learn both their names and English names, unlikely you german cucks.
>>
>>25829213
Knowing English names is useless outside of /vp/, and anyway you learn that shit instinctively after a few weeks browsing that board (kinda like all foreign words)
>>
>>25829116
>Implying Italy could tie with France, Spain and Germany.
>>
File: shiggy.gif (1MB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.gif
1MB, 264x264px
>>25829156
>SCHIGGY
>>
Tbh, english names are just italian/spanish names. We can pronounce accurately every Pokémon name and won't argue over stupid topics.
It's Ray-quah-zuh just like you would pronounce it in italian/ (e.g.)
>>
>>25829116
Man I have some Polish names writen somwheere I remember Arcanine being Pogożeryk. Charmander Jażarka... Good times
>>
I'm from Spain, I've heard they just went along with the English name because there was no point in translating them, plus names such as Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were quite fitting already.
>>
In spaghettiland defence, the games there have some good tier (except shit like tipo folletto)
>>
>>25829509
>because there was no point in translating them

Except, you know, meanings, pronounciations...and all the other reasons why they were translated from Japanese to English to begin with
How can a Spanish/Italian kid possibly pronounce Gengar well when in Romance languages, G is always soft before E and I?
>>
>>25829566
God tier localization* my bad
>>
>>25829505
>Jażarka
>Pogożeryk
jażarka to jedno ale kurwa skąd pogożeryk
>>
>>25829578
Every fucking kid here knows how to say Gengar
>>
Thanks godness the names are in english in my country.
>>
>>25829177
>Crab is literally Crab
>>
Not OP, but related question... Does some pokemon names sound really stupid to you?

For example, Talonflame sounds kinda bad ass for me, a non native, but I see how it would be retarded to say it out loud, being so transparent.
>>
>>25829578
They watched the anime.
>>
brit here, I've lost count of how many Spanish and Italian girls I've fucked while teaching them English
>>
>>25829722
Strange teaching method, dude, did that work?
>>
>>25829618
I can deduce you're either an Anglo or a cultural cuckold
>>
>>25829756
yes I'm a good teacher
>>
>>25829792
>good
>has had sex at least once
pick one
>>
>>25829826
wut?
>>
>>25829671
As a native English speaker, I can tell you that the only name I have ever thought was horrible Conkeldurr.
>>
>>25829257
>with Spain
lol
>>
>>25829862
Sex is evil, you won't have to have it.
>>
>>25829116
The Spanish translator of the games said they had planned to use Spanish- localized Pokemon names, but that the anime dubbers had beaten them to the punch and had used the English names in that due to dubbing from English, so they had to go with those to not confuse the fuck out of the kids and ruin the anime's marketing appeal.

Chances are the same happened in Italy
>>
>>25829566
Yea, "folleto" is our biggest fault, something like "fata" or "spirito/spiritello" would have been really better.
>>
>>25829116
Traumato is god tier.
>>
>>25829239
>useless outside of /vp/
That's usefull in every online pokémon community you browse. Of course if you browse only /vp/ that's the only place it can be usefull. Plus if you play competitive you really should know english poké/moves/items name in english.
Otherwise if you are a little casual who only play your game on his german/french cartridge, of course you will be always fine.
>>
>>25829116
>non-countries
>Poland
Wypierdalaj do klepania kotletów.
I'm actually glad we don't have our own names because remembering 1444 of them would be suffering.

On a different note, how do you pronounce Magearna?
>>
>>25830025
>On a different note, how do you pronounce Magearna?

Mah-GEAR-nah
>>
>>25830025
They say its name at the end of the movie trailer as part of the title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkQUuhfvdjU
>>
>>25829150
>Are you triggered?
There's that word again.
>>
Surskit means "grouchy/sour/soaked shit" in my language, and conkeldurr is really close to our word for dingleberry.
>>
>>25829963
Just curious, Which one is "Folleto"?
>>
>>25830113
Hei.
>>
>>25830025
Pozdrawiam kolege i zgadzam się w 100%
>>
>>25830129
Inte säker på om du är danskjävel eller norrman.
>>
>>25830144
Nordmann.

Hva ER det svenske ordet for dangelbær, forresten?
>>
>>25830128
Fairy type
>>
>>25830113
>Surskut
>soaked shit

Seems about right.
>>
>>25830164
>Folleto
And What it means? Excuse me for ignorance.
>>
>>25830159
Kånkelbär.
>>
>>25830196
Genialt.
>>
>>25829116
>cuck
Oh boy, /pol/ and /int/ are there
>>
Italy is the same country that mistranslated Pound (to strike something) as "Libbra" (the measurement unit).
>>
>>25830189
A folletto is a sprite or, to some exent an imp.
A fairy is a fata
>>
File: Wave.gif (200KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Wave.gif
200KB, 300x225px
>>25830140
>pic related

>>25830025
Thanks.

>>25830047
Oh damn, this movie looks nice. The city is dope for sure. Thanks.
>>
>>25829116
I bet OP isn't even bilingual.
>>
>>25830220
>A folletto is a sprite or, to some exent an imp.

That's not too bad. Japanese uses the English word Fairy for the type, but they clearly intended for it to just be whatever the English word for yousei is, and yousei aren't the exact same thing as fairies.

"Fay" would've probably been a better choice.
>>
>>25830025
>tfw French
>I know all pokemon names in both French and English until Gen 4, but I know most Gen 5/6 mons in English only because I never played the games and only talk about these on /vp/
>>
>>25830208
That was only gen I.
Meanwhile we had Counter translated as Contatore (to count numbers) instead of Contrattacco (to count an attack) till gen VI

And i'm still bothered with Swift traslated as Comete (Comets)
>>
>>25830178
Our edition of Nintendo Power even had a small article about how unfortunate the name Surskit is.
>>
>>25830248
>And i'm still bothered with Swift traslated as Comete (Comets)
The Japanese name is "Speed Star" and it's an attack that literally fires small stars at the opponent. "Comets" makes a hell of a lot more sense that "Swift", which is one of the most nonsensical English move names out there.
>>
>>25830262
I didn't know that, thanks!
>>
>>25830113
I can't remember what country it was, but I know one translation left "Pichu"'s name untouched, despite it being phonically identical to a local slang term for hookers. They had to quietly change his name in gen 3.
>>
>>25830271
Pichu is called Pichu everywhere.
>>
>>25830243
>I never played the games and only talk about these on /vp/
Neo/vp/ in a nutshell
>>
>>25830249
>>>25830249
What is your country, and why hasn't this been scanned and posted yet?
>>
>>25830396
If I say it, I'll be swarmed with "hilarious" /pol/ jokes. I've learned my lesson.
>>
>>25830484
You already said it was Sweden.
>>
>>25830507
>>25830536
I think you should read the post again, moron.
>>
>>25829116
The Spanish are the laziest motherfuckers in the west. There's no way they would go through the effort of naming 151 monsters when they can get away with not doing so.
>>
>>25829116
why not
>>
>>25829116
some of the names are even better
>>
>>25830493
Not directly, I'm counting on them being too stupid to figure it out or be triggered by the word Sweden.
>>
>>25830248
The wonky gen 1 translation was kind of fun. What became Focalenergia (Focus Energy) was Energy Conc[entration], which is somehow both untranslated yet different from the official English name. You have to wonder how that slipped in.
>>
>>25830584
Behind-the-scenes Pokemon stuff is always interesting, like the story about how they were trying to come up with an English name for Pochama right before the end of the work day and everyone just wanted to go home. They settled on calling it Piploop. Then the next day everyone came back to the office refreshed and realized that it would be a walking poop joke if they went with that name.

It's a shame that Pokemon is so tight-lipped about stuff like that. It's very rare that we hear behind-the-scenes shit.
>>
>>25830582
Shouldnt you be preping the Bouffalant for your wife right now?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.