[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /vp/ feel about romhacks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: wtf char.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wtf char.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Are there romhacks that are simply tweaks, and/or that keep the spirit of the game intact?

For example removing the need to trade to evolve, changing the available pokemon in the region, etc.

Are romhacks personally worth it to you?
If so what are your favorite romhacks?
>>
I only play official games. Anyone that doesn't is subhuman.
>>
>If so what are your favorite romhacks?
Pretty much everything Drayano has ever touched
>>
I don't know, but I'm still looking for an emerald simple hack that splits physical and special and doesn't have a shitload of other things
>>
>>25817170
When it comes to romhacks, I mostly just play Drayano stuff now. hacks that change stuff beyond that I find tend to be inferior to fangames now
>>
>>25817187
Yea I'm a subhuman that can't afford a 3DS so I'm stuck emulating everything.

But if I have to emulate everything, I might as well enjoy some minor improvements to the games right?

For example I'm pretty sure there's a hack that splits physical/special and removes the need for HM's in Firered, but I can't remember what it's called.
>>
>>25817170
Some hacks are shit, few are actually good.
Hackers are kind of dicks when it comes to 'muh scripting' sometimes but are generally helpful, even though it's like 3 or 4 dedicated and knowledgeable hackers and 2 dozen tryhards (myself included) with thousands of lurkers.
I like Omega Fire Red, even though it gets annoying sometimes (safeguard spams, full restore for every trainer, etc) and the Sevii Islands are still fucking shit.
>>25817187
>I can't into scripting so all hacks are shit
>Light Platinum is gay so all hacks are shit
>I showed a demo of a hack I made and got laughed at so hacking is shit
>I'm a flaming homosexual
>>
>>25817214
>>25817246
I just googled this guy and his BW2 hack seems pretty fucking awesome. All pokemon are available, evolutions don't require trading, NPC rosters are tougher, etc.

My only problem is that he edited some base stats and move compatibility but that's probably not a huge deal.
>>
>>25817281
He has alternate versions of his hacks where the Pokemon aren't edited and only the difficulty is changed
>>
>>25817170
Just started PRO
It's a pretty good romhack, aside from the 10 minutes wait to enter a server
>>
Depends, I don't mind those that improve it but if:
>they add fakemon (most hacks)
>make the story edgy (dark rising)

I liked Red++ then Mateo added fairy typing.

Light Plat is fine but I hate the aspect of "dude you're the chosen one lmao"
>>
>>25817170
Cuckold emerald is good. Doing a nuzlocke run through it now. Seems like many new gen changes to the old gen game. Very good selection of pokemon etc.
>>
>>25817170
I only play romhacks that are 386/493/649/721 or new regions that keep the same pokemon. I'm not a fan of fakemon romhacks, especially if they mix the fakemons with realmons.
>>
They have zero value to me because the Pokemon are illegitimate and don't carry over to the actual games and therefore are worthless to me.

If I can't have it carry over to the proper games on the proper hardware and trade it forward to the next games and keep the Pokemon for years to come and be able to trade it online then what's the point of playing it?
>>
>>25817909
The only reason I'd care about transferring pokemon to new gens is if I played multiplayer/competitive.

I don't so then romhacks can be good qualify of life improvements.
>>
>>25817936
I don't play multiplayer or competitive either, at least not in the games themselves. For me romhacks break at

>Pokemon is about catching them all
>You can't catch them all

I assign no value to a Pokemon from a romhack I have zero desire to catch or train them. I cannot care about my team. I cannot see any reason to catch a Pokemon. It's all just temporary and can never be archived properly outside of the romhack, it just feels like a waste of time to play one.
>>
>>25817972
I play pokemon to progress through the story with a custom-tailored team.

I can understand wanting to catch them all but it doesn't interest me.
>>
BlazeBlack/VoltWhite/BB2/VW2 are the definitive Pokémon experience. Nothing else can come close.
>>
>>25817984
For me the reason I play Pokemon and don't care about any of the other competing monster collecting/raising games is the permanency of a Pokemon. In pretty much every other monster catching RPG the monsters are basically just party members in any other normal RPG and when you credits roll you're essentially done with the game and those characters. You turn it off and move on to the next one.

Pokemon is largely unique in that a Pokemon isn't just some generic party member you picked up in a game. It's actually a thing that exists beyond the bounds of the game it was caught in. It can be traded forward to new generations, it has randomly generated IVs, it records data about what things it has done in the various games. I have Pokemon in X and Y that I can say "Oh this Mightyena came from Pokemon Emerald, it was caught 8 years ago on Route whatever and it was in my party when I defeated the Sinnoh Elite Four" about and that's why Pokemon is interesting to me and other monster RPGs aren't.

That's also the reason I nearly gave up on the franchise in Gen 3 due to lack of backwards compatibility. If they every break compatibility again I'll drop the franchise immediately unless they make some incredible earth shattering change that makes it worthwhile to stay.

I like Pokemon not because of any one game but because it's a platform on which Pokemon that are independent of any one game can exist. That's what to make makes a Pokemon more than just an RPG party member.

But yeah I appreciate that there are other ways to enjoy the game so more power to you.
>>
>>25817281
>My only problem is that he edited some base stats and move compatibility but that's probably not a huge deal.
I can see why one would dislike that but honestly having had a Fire/Ground pignite in my Volt White team I reconcile and learned not to care about such things.

Eternal X & Wilting Y are also great games.
>>
>>25818055
Well said, anon.
>>
>>25817170

>For example removing the need to trade to evolve, changing the available pokemon in the region, etc.

You can literally do this yourself with 5 mins worth of effort, there's an extremely easy to use program that lets you do it. Unfortunately I can't remember what its called
>>
>>25817170
Played only Glazed and currently playing Fire Red Omega. Planning on tackling Emerald Omega.
>>
>>25817170>>25817170
Liquid Crystal is my favorite despite the flaws and I wish there was more emerald hacks
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.