[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon you grew to like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 12

File: Chandelure_(Pokkén_Tournament).png (1MB, 1165x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Chandelure_(Pokkén_Tournament).png
1MB, 1165x1045px
Post pokemon you either disliked, or didn't care for that you now like. Explain why. Feel free to not write a fucking essay like I did.

Mine is Chandelure.
I generally don't like mons that are either too humanoid, or are based off man-made objects. It's been like this ever since gen1 with Voltorb, and Mr.mime.
It didn't help either that I never played gen5, as I was too poor at the time to afford it. Gen 5 does have a handful of pokemon I consider to be absolutely awesome designs, but it is also the generation with pokemon like Vanilluxe.
Chandelure was labeled and dismissed the first time I saw it because of my prejudice being like this.

I always want more three stage evolutions that are actually useful, and that's what made me look at Chandelure a second time.
The ghost fire typing is also neat, but I felt it was wasted on another mimic pokemon.

I like the "monster" aspect of pokemon, and I do appreciate mons that incorporate it. This means I do like pokemon that are products of adapting to an environment. So I don't really have anything against "mimic pokemon", I just feel there are few that pull it off.
Garbedor and muk are pokemon evolved from human waste, that can camouflage themselves in waste. That is neat, but I still think object mon designs are a bit lazy and static.

Thinking about Chandelure again I realize I think it pulls off the "mimic mon" fairly well, and I like it's theme and typing.

As for it being static, well. I was blown away by the amount of character the animators managed to give it in Pokken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z37VCec1wlg

Look at it. Now I think it's fucking adorable.
I went from disliking Chandelure to loving it.
>>
You're still the worst kind of Pokemon fan. Pokemon can be objects, its always been that way.
>>
File: image.png (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
17KB, 400x400px
>be grassfag always
>see unova leaks
>great, another fire/fighting
>pick smugleaf
>not bad but must use coil and other stall moves literally for every battle to get by
>loads of bug, flying mons early route with SE moves
>reset and restart with tepig
>found my first fire bro
>now even higher than Venusaur, Torterra and Sceptile on my fave list
Emboar is Embro
>>
>I still think object mon designs are a bit lazy

That doesn't even make sense. How is making an object mon any lazier than taking an existing animal and making it cartoony?
>>
File: image.png (32KB, 262x191px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
32KB, 262x191px
Definitely pic related. I actually hated it when it was first revealed in CoroCoro, nowadays it's pretty much the only Eeveelution I really like. Loved using it in-game and in my competitive teams, and the Sylveon x Hydreigon fanart is just cute af.
>>
File: image.png (799KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
799KB, 1280x800px
>>25780074
Cont...

>be Machampfag
>waiting for another prime pure fighting type
>see Conkeldurr
>what the fuck?
>see stats
>140 base attack
>heart drops to the bottom of the ocean floor
>there goes Machamp's record for highest atk among fighting nonlegends
>HP, Def are also better
>die a little inside
>get angry
>but also say, "well, you asled for this"
>use Conk in party
>fuck, he's so good
>become less angry, respect conk and eventually become indifferent
>play Y
>shiny Gurdurr
>fuck, Conkeldurr doesn't seem to want to let me go
>catch and train
>pic related now my top 2 bros

Basically a lot of gen 5 mons, since being forced to use them allowed me to appreciate them
>>
>Gliscor
Didn't necessarily hate it, but I really liked Gligar in GSC and Gliscor's ugly ass DPP sprite made me dislike it. It looks good in XY though, ended up growing on me and it's back in my favorites

>Gourgeist
Never particularly disliked it or anything, just didn't really have an opinion on it but the cute fanart got to me.

>Glaceon
When put together I hate em' all but individually I kind of like Glaceon I guess
>>
I really disliked Slurpuff at first. But then I saw it's adorable chocolate cupcake shiny and fell in love.
>>
>>25780140
Slurpuffs shiny is easily one of the best things GF came up with in the 6th gen. One of the few that actually looks better than the standard colored form.
>>
>>25780068
As I said I like object/and or mimic mons when I feel like they pull it off.

I like mons like Trubbish and Sudowoodo. I don't mind muk and Garbodor, though I think they are a bit lazy.
Voltorb, Vanilluxe, and Klinklang I think are plain bad designs.

Some people will like some type of mons for their own reasons. I don't think that makes me a bad fan.

>>25780087
Evee or Vulpix are kinda fox dogs, but they have exaggerated features to make them look more interesting. They are "monster-ified".

Vanilluxe is a fucking icecream. And it's not adapted to look like an icecream, it just happened to have that stupid form, and "humans made a snack that looks like it".

Voltorb is a fucking pokeball that attacks by blowing itself up. God knows why. If it was a mass produced weapon, that some evil rpg scientist made to kill people then sure.
>>
>>25780134
Updated sprite art changed my opinions on a lot of mons too.

Also helps to see some character in them.
>>
File: krook.jpg (373KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
krook.jpg
373KB, 680x680px
A lot of Gen 5 Pokémon, but mostly this beast. What a great mon.
>>
File: 709.png (7KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
709.png
7KB, 120x120px
I just didn't care for the design at first. Grass/Ghost sounded fun, and I liked Phantump just fine, but then when I evolved him I just felt it was a downgrade.

But then I started playing with him more and more, and he's super damn fun both for ingame and competitive, and the design has grown on me a lot to the extent that I wouldn't want to change it (though to be fair, a lot of pokemon benefit from how good fanart makes them look).

The only bad thing is he encourages me to be a filthy stallfag
>>
File: 1458455597100.jpg (45KB, 407x407px) Image search: [Google]
1458455597100.jpg
45KB, 407x407px
>>25780174
>Voltorb, Vanilluxe, and Klinklang I think are plain bad designs.
>>
>>25780207
Well, stalling is a thing for both Grass and Ghost so that makes sense, and I feel like Trevenant isn't as annoying as something like Blissey.
And a Ghost with recovery moves, that's good. I love it too.
>>
File: 1458602350336.png (973KB, 617x673px) Image search: [Google]
1458602350336.png
973KB, 617x673px
>always think the Abra line is pig-ugly as shit
>hate the shit out of it and consider it too frail to do anything of note
>finally have to use one on Showdown for helping a friend test shit
>holy fuck look at how much shit this thing can learn
>this thing destroys my pal's entire team
>well fuck me
>finally take the time to go breed one
>female
>think the short mustaches are pretty cute
>destroy everything with a quick-ass special sweeper

I don't like its Mega, but I sure as hell do like the line a lot more now once I actually took the time to look at it and look at stuff people drew of it. It's pretty sweet.
>>
>>25780056
Wigglytuff. It was always the 2cute pink blob when I was a young boy at time when I needed spikey kaijus. But I slowly started to have an affinity for and finally love for this damn thing over the years.

First thing that softened me up to it was the tgc on gameboy. My favorite and by far strongest deck was a Wigglytuff centered one. I loved that you took the conventions of deck building and flipped them on to their side to make Wigglytuff utterly, press-a-to-win-tier OP.

The second thing is difficult for me to admit but I have hipster tendencies. Not full-blown too-self-aware-for-my-own-good hipster, but I definitely have a habit in trying to find appreciation in things that usually go unappreciated, and Wigglytuff has that in spades and suffers hard from 'Raichu Syndrome'.

Third, it really is just a simple and appealing mon. It's cute but clearly has a build meant for fighting and I like the idea that it's a balloon or finds it combat niche as a damage-sponge.

Finally, it's a lot of fun to use in gen 1 which I only did for the first time recently despite being a genwunner to the core. Diverse movepools made a much larger impact in those games and Wigglytuff had a great one. You can get them early, evolve them early, slap a stab mega-punch on them before you get to the second gym and they remain your ace through the e4, especially if you give it ice beam or blizzard.
>>
Yup. This fucker. Incarnate form and all.

Literally everything about it came together to make me genuinely like this thing.

At first I was like most of /vp/.. "dumb genies, they look stupid". I used to hate them, they were some of my least favorite pokemon. However, after the Therian forms came around, I love this things design, so I decided to give them another chance.

FInding out that theyre based off of the Fujin Raijin-zu painting, and thus Kami's, not genies, made me love it instantly, I've always dug that painting. The idea that all 3 of them have a wildly unique animal form and a almost clone-like, generic human form is fucking awesome. I've always loved Thundurus' color scheme, and damn does it look good with my other 'mons. I doubled back and began to love the almost judgemental expression is has. And yes, it's usefulness in competitive made me love it. Even it's fucking cry is awesome.

I've never had such a dramatic turn around before.
>>
>>25780259
I am guilty of starting to like a lot of cute mons as I aged too.

They helped me understand that you can have pokemon on your team that aren't meant for fighting as well. Like Chansey.
>>
>>25780272
Thundurus Therian is wonderful aesthetically. Shame Prankster Thunderwave is just too good to pass up.
>>
Mine is Slaking.
>Always thought it was stupid that it had an ability that fucking crippled it.
>Used it one time in a plauthrough of Emerald. >Thought I should just keep it a Vigoroth so I didn't have to deal with Truant.
>Weak movest, and wasn't picking up kills, so I thought, might as well evolve it.
>Sweet damn I'm glad I did.
>Thing is a fucking monster in game.
>Ability doesn't hamper it because it can fucking one shot everything with a base 160 attack Hyper Beam.
>Becomes my favorite Hoennmon.
>Use it on ORAS team
>becomes ace
>use it to KO Steven's Mega Metagross
>>
>>25780259
I have like the opposite phenomenon with Wigglytuff. I WANT to hate it, and Clefable, because they just look like you took a picture of Jigglypuff in Photoshop and stretched it vertically. I hate that; I love Clefairy and Jiggs but their evolutions are just so bulky and boring. But I'm a total sucker for the Mystery Dungeon games, and as such, I just can't stay mad at the Guildmaster, you know? It's a begrudging appreciation.
>>
Magnemite/Magneton. During a BW2 run I caught a Magnemite to breeze through Roxie's gym. After it solo'd her entire gym without getting hit except by her last mon, I decided I'd keep it on the team. It became a staple of that team and a complete bro. After evolving into Magneton nothing could touch it and it sure loved raping shit. I regretted evolving it into Magnezone though. It felt weaker as a Magnezone for some reason. It didn't seem to do as much damage and it got hurt a lot more.
>>
Ok but Chandelure is a dick in Pokken
literally feeds off of its trainer's spirit
>>
>>25783345
Wait what?
>>
File: seismitoad.gif (265KB, 95x90px) Image search: [Google]
seismitoad.gif
265KB, 95x90px
The 3D model really saved this design in my eyes.
>>
>>25780056
>REEEEEEEEE THEY RUINED MAGNETON
>Oh neat I can use a Magnemite early on in White 2
>I guess Magnezone isn't that bad...
For the record I still like Magneton more.
>>
>>25783552
Magnezone was what made I like the Magnemite line in first place, Magneton is just three Magnemites together but Magnezone is something more consistent and unique.
>>
>>25783578
>Magneton is just three Magnemites together
It's the magnet Pokemon you dumb nignog, it makes sense unlike Dugtrio
>>
>>25783595
I know the concept retard, but even so it was not very insteresting visually to me.
>>
>>25783552
I think alot of people would like magnezone more if it had a normal magnemite eye instead of the giant red one. Maybe replace the wonky UFO antenne for a screw aswell.
>>
>>25780056

I was the same way with Chandelure... And then I read its Pokédex entries.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.