[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of rival(s) are you hoping for in Sun and Moon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 11

File: 48932048937583.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
48932048937583.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
What kind of rival(s) are you hoping for in Sun and Moon?
>>
Hoping for a cute girl
>>
>>25622578
kill yourself

>>25622576
A competent rival who is aware of their skill and flaunts it, so you're motivated to beat them and don't feel bad about beating them like the rivals from Gen III-VI.
>hehe uhh lol i hope i lose so we c-can be friends xD :3 here's some potions for the battle xD
that shit needs to stop
>>
An Asshole. Im sick of "Friends"
>>
Hopefully no rivals

I just want to play the game without annoying characters I don't want anything to do with interrupting me all the time

At least make the rivals stronger like their starter is the same level as your highest leveled pokemon
>>
Truly, Kalos rivals were utter cancer.
>>
>>25622576
Somebody that is a challenge and isn't always lagging behind

Smug too, I want to feel real good when I grind them underneath my boot heel
>>
>>25622576

I'm pretty easy to please. I just want there to be only one real rival. No more trios and squads.

I also don't want any one note characters like Trevor or Tierno.

I'd also prefer it if the rival wasn't just the main character, but the gender you didn't pick.
>>
>>25622576
One that isn't an annoying asshat like silver and blue but not a friendly friend type like the others

Maybe Wally someone who knows their limits but aspires to go beyond them. Someone that at least makes you think he's worth fighting because of their determination.

But seriously anything but Blue he had the personality of a persimmon. And I always felt bad beating him because he was "that kid" who didn't know much about anything, it was like picking on s retard.
>>
GOD TIER
Blue
Silver

HIGH TIER
Cheren
Barry
Hugh

MID TIER
Brendan/May
Wally

LOW TIER
Bianca

SHIT TIER
Kalos Krew
>>
Someone similar to Blue/Green or Silver that makes you actually want to kick their ass because of they're insufferable arrogant dick, but also have have the skills to back it up. Some depth and reasoning as to why they're the way they are like with Silver would be cool too.

Wouldn't mind said asshole being a cute girl either
>>
>>25622706

because they're,* fuck
>>
>>25622703
perfection

/thread

Only thing I might change is knock May down with Bianca and leave Wally in his own tier.
>>
I don't think people know the purpose of a rival here.
>>
>>25622703
ORAS Wally and Brendan/May belong in Shit tier too

Can't believe how badly they fucked Wally up in the remakes, in the originals he went from zero to hero and in the new ones he want from zero to slightly above zero
>>
>>25622703
Hugh is a horribly-written character. Until Zinnia came about, he was the worst character in the series.
Every single conversation, it was just "muh purrloin". Fucking yeah, Hugh. A group that steals thousands of Pokemon will remember one particular Purrloin they stole years ago. It's not like Purrloin is common as fuck.
The worst part is that they actually did, the absolute madmen. Ridiculous, Godawful writing.
>>
>>25622703

>Hugh in high tier.
>>
>>25622775
>>25622784
I didn't even finish Black 2 lel
>>
>>25622770
Did you even play ORAS.
Wally becomes badass at the end where in RSE he was just a pussy the whole way.
>>
>>25622792
Just played Omega Ruby all the way through during the last couple of days and Wally was beta all the way to the end

Pushing past people on a dock while stammering isn't badass
>>
>>25622692
>Blue he had the personality of a persimmon. And I always felt bad beating him because he was "that kid" who didn't know much about anything, it was like picking on s retard
But he was the Pokemon Champion.
>>
I want a rival that starts off like Barry and Bianca, really happy and energetic and friendly, and has a lot of offscreen wins that leads them to become like Blue and be an arrogant prick.

Obviously I want their teams and skill to be appropriate for someone who has gotten cocky from winning so much.

By the end of winning a lot but always getting their ass kicked by the player, they tone down their dickery and realize they may be hot shit, but they're not the hottest shit, and chill the fuck out.
>>
File: yotsuba8.jpg (80KB, 231x360px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba8.jpg
80KB, 231x360px
I think XY could have been a lot better if Calem/Serena joined Team Flare. I really thought that was the way the story was heading, with how depressed they act when you keep beating them and how they start avoiding the rest of the group.
Shauna was cute and all, good for her for having a Psuedo, but holy shit she was not even close to enough to save that one-dimensional shitshow of side characters.

>>25622770
>Wally
It really rubs me the wrong way how they have him drop half his team for cookie-cutter Smogon sets in his Maison rematches.
Is it true that most Pokémon just don't work at top-level play and you probably need to box your bros to take on the Maison and competitive scene? Sure that's true for the metagame, but where's the heart in the people who make the "Pokémon are our partners, love and friendship etc." making a 180 and advocating it, setting up Wally as an example like that? It's soulless.
>>
>>25622869
Best post ITT.
>>
>>25622576
hoping for a single rival like in Kanto/Johto. Hoping for a rival who fits in the story as a childhood friend or maybe bully. Someone the player character has known his/her entire life. Someone with a powerful and confident demeanor. Someone who initially starts out as a jerk, a bigshot but eventually becomes something of an ally against whatever evil team or antagonist is in the game.
>>
>>25622576
Silver > Blue > Barry > Hoennfags > Unovafucks > Kaloscunts

Singular rival who's actually skilled please
>>
>>25622703
Move Barry to God Tier, but other than that you're golden.
>>
>>25622576
One of the fake leaks during early sun and moon hype said the rival followed you through the game and kept challenging you because he was pissed you took the starter he wanted and left him stuck choosing between the other two. I know the leak was fake but I actually want this.

I miss antagonistic grudge rivals and I'd love one where the rival is actually legitimately unhappy with you for whatever reason. Clash of ideals, childhood rivalry gone bad, believes in the bad guy team's mission and isn't a puppet or just can't believe you keep doing fucking ridiculous shit like kicking the ass of a crime group.

So I guess Silver with a little less 'daddy din't love me' and a little more 'I will crush you'
>>
>>25622972
>the rival followed you through the game and kept challenging you because he was pissed you took the starter he wanted and left him stuck choosing between the other two
That's the stupidest fucking motivation I've ever heard
>>
>>25622576
I want my rival to be an asshole, maybe a cocky little shit.
I don't want them to be ultra friendly anymore.
>>
>>25623762
This.

Maybe breaking the spirits and dreams of happy go lucky children makes Japs feel good but it just makes me uncomfortable
>>
>>25622576

Honestly I want someone who's an absolute shitsmear, not because he's annoying, but because he's like a true asshole. It'll give me a reason to train and kick his ass.
>>
File: update 5 pic 9_zpswoyu313t.png (105KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
update 5 pic 9_zpswoyu313t.png
105KB, 400x240px
Dual rivals who are meant to be like mentors to the player, but lightly mock them for being less experienced.
Smug male rival who insists that strategy and careful planning are key to winning battles.
Overconfident female rival who rushes into battle without forethought and relies on overwhelming the opponent.

Basically these two with an added dash of rivalry and battle sense.
>>
>>25622576
Gee, I wonder what gen has started the quantity over quality trend...the rivals have been NPC tier trainerd since Unova happened.

Also I hope the player's rival will be his sister / brother (optional gender choice), that will add a brotherly rivalry and will become champion before you eventually.
As opposed to a female villain leader to add to the waifu collection album.

Rivals and champions already got brothers and sisters, so would be a nice change.

And an optional feature to have a double battle with the Champion or Champions too.
>>
Another Rival like Gen 1 or 2 (moreso 2) where they're very much not your friend.
>>
File: 1453753706543.jpg (56KB, 358x429px) Image search: [Google]
1453753706543.jpg
56KB, 358x429px
A friendly rival that goes full edgemode after you curbstomp them to the ground a few times and ends up joining the evil team.

After you beat them the fucker doesn't turn into a protagonist either. That bitch will remain salty for the rest of the game.
>>
Can we have a Genwunner character as a rival?

He only uses Gen 1 pokemon because their "better than rest" and then by the end he realizes how stupid he is and starts using pokemon from other gens.

I feel like that be pretty good.
>>
>>25622576
Smug ojou
>>
Two rivals. A friendlier one and a smugcunt asshole. Not a Silver kind of asshole though. Less in-your-face and more of a sarcastic, condescending fuck. Ideally they're both good trainers with good teams. Rivals should be challenging. The friendlier one shouldn't just be popping out everywhere to tell you obvious shit and hold your hand so you don't have to think. Also... They need actual character depth.

But who am I kidding? We're getting Kalos Rivals 2: Handholding Boogaloo. Can't let the kiddies have any sort of a challenge because they have the attention span of a demented goldfish.
>>
File: 1561564156.png (104KB, 570x804px) Image search: [Google]
1561564156.png
104KB, 570x804px
I really hope the rival is really nice and friendly, and doesn't put up a challenge in battle, because he doesn't care about winning much. I want then to be completely non-threatening and fun, even better if they constantly compliment me on how great I am. Bonus points if there's more than one and they're all like this.
>>
>>25622576
A female rival with an attitude like Blue and Silver but doesn't end up wanting your dick by the end.
>>
>>25622770
Are you joking? In both original RS and ORAS, Wally was NOTHING but a weak little bitch with no fortitude. He never once stopped being a zero.
>>
>>25622576
I hope its a pair like in BW. Boy is a bit of a dick and is cocky but eventually loses some serious battle and mellows a bit. Girl is clumsy and scaredy-cat but she gets stronger with each battle and eventually becomes slef-confident and turns out she's the champion
>>
>>25624194
>hehe I really really like dancing! Did I mention I like to dance? I just want like a meme theme team of pokemon who know moves with the word "dance" in them. I'm so fat but I'm obsessed with an activity generally reserved for fit and nimble people, isn't that both funny but also super progressive?? Dance off everyone!

>i use big words you've never heard like "calculate" and "adjustments" because I'm a nerdy manlet. Want to compare pokedexes at the end of every route? It'll be like our own type of battle hehehe

>ANON DESU wait up! I have presents for you I really like you a lot! I bet being friends with your pokemon makes you bond with them and we should bond and be friends omgomgomg is this what it's like to have a crush on a boy? Weeeeeee

>we have to battle to determine who is the strongest between us, but I'm determined and my determination will be the determining factor. But it's ok, because even if I lose, I'll be determined to become even better, maybe even better than you one day...if I'm lucky....

COULD THE XY PROTAGONIST BE ANY MORE OF A MARY FUCKING SUE?
>>
File: allislost.jpg (68KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
allislost.jpg
68KB, 550x550px
>>25624259

>mfw meeting the XY rivals in my first playthrough
>>
File: xyrivals.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
xyrivals.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>25624194
>>25624259

And to think that they'll probably be back in S&M.

Though to be honest I wouldn't mind if they were like Cheren and Bianca in B2W2, as it was pretty cool seeing those two grow older and pursue their dreams. Except those two were infinitely better than the XY "rivals"[/spoilers]
>>
I've always wanted to see a twin sibling of some sort. Or even just a sibling.
>>
>>25624259
>Disregarding Serena's sprial into depression
>>
>>25624474
>sibling rivals
>the champion is your mom
>>
>>25624125
We already got N, used his Unova shitmons in BW and ended with 4 teams in B2W2 with past gen mons because Gen 5 ones were garbage. No need for replicas.
>>
>>25624681
What made you hate gen V so much, anon?
>>
It's been so long since we've had a rival like Blue that I wouldn't even care if it was a carbon copy of him at this point. I've thought about it a lot and he really is the best rival in the series.
>Has the same goal as the player through the whole game
>Doesn't give up or get depressed even after you stomp him multiple times
>Is always ahead of you despite constantly losing
>Personality is right on the sweet spot between friendly and antagonistic
All of this comes together and makes someone you actually want to defeat every time you see them. The fact that he actually achieves his goal at the end of the game is also great.
>>
>>25622775
He didn't even use the fucking Liepard either. His final team had two empty spots. Gen 1 movesets aside Hugh had the worst fucking team out of any rival except the XY shitcrew.
>>
>>25624724
Same.

Blue was an ass that was always one step ahead and you wanted to beat him. Silver was an actual criminal.

Most rivals after just lacks impact and you start feeling bad about how easy it is to beat them.
>>
>>25622576
One that has a good team
Preferably during the main game too and not just postgame
So far only Barry has done that
>>
>>25624681
>Hating best designed gen
>>
a rival that can actually put up a good fight while still being pretty friendly and endearing.
Basically a rival like Barry.
>>
>>25622576
Personally, I would really like to see a rival with a "procedural" team designed to, if not counter, at least check your team that you used last.

So, when you win a fight, the game checks the Pokemon you used, and uses that to determine what would be in the rival's next team.

It could be simple as having a pool of 18 Pokemon, where the game just tries to get the best coverage.

However, I would love if they could somehow figure out your "playstyle" and adapt accordingly.

Do you use set up moves like Swords Dance a lot? They pack Unaware/PHazing.

All special attackers? Bring on the Blissey!

Do you use Volt-Turn/switch a lot? Throw down some sneaky stones.

A defensive team? Wallbreakers.

They could even comment on the battle afterwards. Whether you barely take damage, or its a very close call. Or, even just commenting on your team, like if you boxed your starter or got an out-of-region Pokemon.
>>
>God Tier
>Blue, Silver, Barry and Cheren
These motherfuckers try their goddamn hardest to be the very best and nothing stops them. They have different personalities for the same cause and that's what sets them apart. Blue thinks he's hot shit, Silver thinks being cruel is the way to go, Barry gets a slap in the face and proceeds to better himself and has the best Rival team in the series and Cheren realizes what he has no idea what he was chasing for but decides to find his own purpose in life

>Okay Tier
>ORAS Brendan/May, Wally and Bianca
Brendan and May don't come off as pathetic in the remakes at least. Wally is the story of a young nobody becoming strong, but has little to no prominence so there's no reason to give a shit. Bianca works as a great foil for Cheren in somebody without a purpose discovering herself compared to Cheren starting out with an empty purpose, but proceeding to lose himself. That said Bianca isn't as much of a necessity as Cheren was and kind of exists to make him a better character

>Awful Tier
>Original Brendan/May
>lol we're just gonna give up entirely

>Worse than Hitler Tier
>X and Y Friends
Shauna's grouped up with these jokers and that's what ruins her. Otherwise she's Bianca 2.0 with less character. I don't want to talk about the rest of the friends, never before has Pokemon squandered opportunity of having a whole group characters like that. I honestly should've expected as much with how awful their designs were too
>>
>>25622636

This. There's a reason Blue and Silver were the best rivals.
>>
File: flower.jpg (100KB, 600x489px) Image search: [Google]
flower.jpg
100KB, 600x489px
>>25624132
>Smug ojou
Yes please
>>
>>25622939
Barry is best boy
>>
File: Pokémon.full.1417785.jpg (435KB, 840x880px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.full.1417785.jpg
435KB, 840x880px
>>25624422
>instead of someone like the matured Cheren we'll have more Trevor and Tierno
Just kill me now
>>
>>25622775

>It's not like Purrloin is common as fuck.

You mean if your dog or cat was stolen, you wouldn't care because those animals are common as fuck?

>>25624987

It was his sister's Pokemon, not his.
>>
>>25625776
Even if the reasons were justifiable it was really his only character trait, similar to how the character traits of X and Y's friends were just a singular, "I'm smart and I'm trying to fill the Pokedex" and "I like to dance and I'm a fatass!"

Previous rivals were at least geared towards the goal of being your rival, but Hugh was hardly even a rival. Just some guy that's apparently your friend and you fight now and then. It was a step in the wrong direction that lead to X and Y
>>
For XY I think Serena/Calem should definitely be their own rival separate from your friend group. It seems so out of place, for some reason, that they even partcipate in the ridiculousness of those ones.
Shauna is awesome I love her, I just wish she could be more of a threat. Maybe she meets Serena/Calem rival and they think they're going to be the mega user (besides you) but Shauna ends up being the one. Then a pre Victory Road last Serena/Calem battle and post Victory Road Shauna battle proving which one was the "better".

I don't totally mind Trevor, his Pokedex motivations are fine, but maybe give him a full team each time you battle him to emphasize the fact that he's catching a lot of Pokemon.
And I think Tierno could use a complete overhaul, he could be partially Trevor's motivator to be strong besides just catching Pokemon, they just need to make himself stronger. He could totally be a dancer still just with a more dancing themed team.
>>
>>25624586
8/10 would play
>>
>>25625408
You get a (You) for making really good points and having good taste
>>
One rival similar to Blue and Silver in attitude but with a better personality. When we beat them they should acknowledge that we were better and strive to better themselves. They shouldn't be whiny bitches about losing, but learn from their mistakes, forming better teams each time we battle them. Every battle should have a big difficulty spike since the last and they need to have good AI and good teams. In other words, something that will never happen.
>>
>everybody wants another oak Jr & silver again
You were that kid that took pokemon way too seriously weren't you
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.